Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

World Moved On (IC): Chapter 5, the Dark Tower

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: World Moved On (IC): Chapter 3, Camelot

Postby Lord Fell » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Myron Frost

After King John and Sai Parkus each speak their piece on Merlin's Tower, Myron bows low to each of them. He receives their news impassively. But there is a momentary flash of dismay through the bonds of tet.

Setting that issue aside for the now, Myron approaches Bron. "You have not lost your armour, Bron, it is here." Briefly, Myron touches Bron above the heart. "Nor your lance, it is here," he presses two fingers to the engineer's temple. "Although Lord Parkus has claimed I'm the heir to Merlin, what I have read of that worthy suggests he was also an engineer, and through his works made Camelot the envy of the kingdom. I have sensed that your path would diverge from ours for some time, but this Fate is worthy, and brings me gladness."

Later, during the revel, Myron begs leave to speak with King John. "Merlin's Tower holds the secrets to my lifelong Quest. Only, I fear to look into his Mirror. An Artifact that shows the contents of my Soul might overwhelm me... I know far too well what lurks in my core." He pauses briefly, gathering his thoughts. "You have ascended the tower, Sire. Did you look into the Mirror? Can you tell me of your Journey?"
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:22 am

GM Post:

An hour later - The ka-tet stands before a ruined tower in one of the outskirts of Camelot which has not been reclaimed from the ruin brought on by centuries of disuse. The tower reaches into the sky around sixty feet, likely offering five or six floors within. The doors bear a metal inscription, much newer than the rest of the building, that reads: "No entrance except by order of the King."

Speaking of kings, the ka-tet parted from King John after asking of his experience in this very tower. Disappointing Lord Frost, the monarch only replied that what one sees in the mirror is for him or her alone. "Besides," he added, "the vision offered nothing after the present," suggesting that perhaps ka had a different plan for John during the siege of Camelot than would ultimately unfold.

Flanking the door are two ancient remains of partially intact robots similar to what the ka-tet saw in the Dogan before finding King Grome's fingernail. Both have been claimed by nature and ivy covers what of them has endured the ages. One has a vine emerging from the empty hole where his mechanical eye would have rested centuries ago.

Opening the door with an old key provided by the King, Owen climbs the steps inside of the tower. At his side, a new pair of sandalwood grip revolvers rests. Much of the tower's contents have long since rotted or now serve only as the haven of cobwebs and spiders, but the top remains virtually untouched by time. Myron whispers of the sorcery that clings to the room. The contents seem safe enough, however, as the room is quite spartan. The room bears an old cot which must have served as a bed, on the wall hangs a picture of thirteen colored orbs. One of them, the blue bend, has its image destroyed. Apparently, a rodent of some sort burrowed through the painting at its location. Aside from the cod and the painting, the ceiling boasts a mosaic of a number of small figures bearing objects: two with swords, one with a staff, one with a large jewel, and one with a merchant's scale. Of course, a large standing mirror also graces this floor of the tower.

Gazing into the mirror, each member of the ka-tet perceives something different: Owen sees himself walking across a field of roses along with his ka-tet, but he can't make out all of the faces. One man he doesn't recognize among the ranks walks with him. The horn of the Line of Eld hangs at his side.

Jhondak sees himself fighting off unseen attackers while standing over the frightened huddled form of a pretty blonde woman with odd clothing reminiscent of something Russ or Pablo would wear. Something about a dragon flashes by as well but the image is too ephemeral for the Tarkeshite to gather much from it. Myron sees the image of ibn Daud, clutching a pearl gray orb matching the picture on the wall. Russ sees himself in a gunfight with a Japanese man performing near impossible feats with his firearms. Many of the fellow members of his ka-tet appear badly hurt by the man. Pablo sees things as well, images of End World and the Crimson King, and other things that shake him to the core.

Owen's new pistol in the fields of roses:

The image shared by all of the ka-tet, however, is of a massive battle encompassing armies larger than anyone present thought possible. Men atop dragons rain death on those below while Pan Tangian hordes, Melnibonéan swordsmen, and countless Young Kingdom warriors create carnage. The last flash of the image shows the albino Emperor that the ka-tet met in Quarzhasaat, brandishing his wicked runeblade. Next to him is Sai Florent, dressed in all black and missing his guns, fighting Pan Tangian masses with a pair of curved blades.

The images begin to swirl into misty nothingness while the members of the ka-tet feel that the ground is giving out beneath them. So caught up in the images, the group lost sight of everything around them. Everyone feels dizzy and the world seems to have gone black. Grasping out for anything to stop the vertigo, Russ fixes his thoughts on one place as an anchor...
Last edited by RedBstrd on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby McGuffin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:58 am

Russ
HP: 1 Cnd: Fine

Russ fought down the feeling of his celebratory meal climbing up his gullet as the room seemed to spin around him. What he'd seen in the mirror hadn't exactly helped to calm him. We're really in trouble if everyone's counting on me to win a duel to bail us out. I couldn't even follow the guys hands.

The gambler reached out to his ka-tet with his thoughts as his hand grasped for something solid in the black mire they seemed to have sunk into. Right, Newest York. New York, New York, where are gonna land? The thoughts of the city conjured up images of the Statue of Liberty in Russ's mind.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:03 am

Chapter 4: New York

In which the ka-tet ventures into "the newest of Yorks" and finds a new member, Pablo reveals disturbing news about the plans of the Red to disrupt the fragile Balance, Russ must face a monster unlike nothing he has seen before - or permit the Breakers to destroy a beam of the tower, and Jhondak must fulfill part of his destiny while Owen and Myron uncover something otherworldly thought lost to time ages ago...
Last edited by RedBstrd on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: World Moved On (IC): Chapter 4, New York

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:17 pm

GM Post:

Russ successfully holds his meal inside his stomach while he fights the vertigo. The image of the monument lingers in the apprentice gunslinger's mind until the picture in his head turns into a Statue of Liberty-faced playing card. Other cards then join the Statue of Liberty card in... in either his mind or the ether in front of him. The gambler can't be entirely certain. A card of Susan appears, followed by one of the gunslinger Florent, the albino Elric, the eye of the Crimson King, the Beast, the Wolf, a number of familiar sights, and others that make no sense to the gambler. Some are gunslingers who Russ doesn't recognize. Others are turtles, dragons, Nazis, and even Jimi Hendrix bearing a sword with the name Cloudhurler down the runed blade. The cards of the deck tumble through the nothingness, scattering perhaps as they are dealt again by ka. The backs of each card bear the emblem of a single rose.

A card bearing no meaning for Russ

Cards falling into the nether in front of Merlin's tower

In a flash of light, the ka-tet gets ejected from the nether of the Prim into what Russ quickly recognizes as a New York restroom. Finding himself on his knees in front of a (thankfully clean and flushed) toilet, he spots a newspaper on the ground bearing the familiar image of the Statue of Liberty. The date reads as 10/01/2012.

Sharing the stall with Russ is the Tarkeshite Jhondak, who stands above the gambler and tries to make room for both men inside of the crowded stall. From the limited sounds of commotion echoing from the stalls on either side, it's evident that all of the members of the ka-tet have found themselves in the two stalls adjacent to the one housing Jhondak and Russ: Owen and Myron in one, Pablo Cobain and the billy bumbler - or throcken - known as Hemingway in the other. No more a fan of the journey than the humans, Hemingway mumbles something to Pablo. The words, victims of the throcken's limited capacity to speech, come out as incoherent to their intended audience, the semi-human Pablo. The low man seems oblivious to them anyway, lost in his own thoughts. Despite the Can-toi's "thinking cap" shielding his mind from the world, Pablo's emotions carry over to the rest of the ka-tet through the sharing of khef. Something the low man saw in the mirror troubled him greatly.

After a few moments of movement as the ka-tet regains its footing after being dumped from the primordial chaos of the Prim, a relative silence descends upon the restroom. The most noticeable sound in the room is the song carrying into the restroom from the establishment beyond. The words are as dark as Pablo's mood:

I will not speak of your sin
There was a way out for him
The mirror shows not
Your values are all shot

But oh, my heart was flawed I knew my weakness
So hold my hand, consign me not to darkness

Crawl on my belly till the sun goes down
I’ll never wear your broken crown
I took the road and I ***deleted*** it all away
Now in this twilight how dare you speak of grace

For Owen, Myron, and Jhondak, though, the restroom is a source of wonder. The purpose of the room is clear enough, given that all three men saw its like in Camelot or even earlier in Mid-World for some of their ranks. The ivory-white of the porcelain, the running water in the toilet, the stainless steel fasteners holding up the stall walls, and the lack of stench in this "outhouse" seems amazing to all three. Moreover, a dispenser on the wall holds a full roll of bone-white paper bearing not even the slightest hint of scribbling in ink. The fact that paper, nearly worth its weight in silver, should be present in such quantity in a place of sanitation is almost unbelievable to the walk ins.

Outside of the stalls, the ka-tet hears no movement. Despite the lack of any sounds making the presence of a witness obvious yet, the ka-tet is not alone. Brian Wilhelm reclines patiently against the sink, checking his watch. The walk ins, it would seem, are precisely on time...
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Brian Wilhelm
HP: 1
COND: About Time...

Well, the Ur-Kindle had it down to the minute, Brian noted. Poor walk-ins. That landing, however they did it, must have smarted on the nerves. It was still new to all him, this Tower business, and the Tet Corp, but hopefully he could come off as profession to the ka-tet.

Brown-haired, hazel-eyed and athletic looking, dressed in a slacks and a sports jacket over a nice t-shirt (not that they could see yet), and yes, armed and familiar with the use of his pistol now (concealed holster and permit, yep), Brian smiled before announcing himself.

"That landing must have sucked, I feel for you guys. Just so you don't freak out now, I'm Brian, and yes, you're expected. Just do me a favor, and step out of the stalls so I can count off."
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:52 pm

GM Post:

The first response Brian gets is from something he expects least. A small mammal resembling a mixture between a dog and a raccoon or wolverine ducks its head out from under the stall and gazes up at him with gold-ringed eyes. It mutters something resembling words of disapproval and then moves its head back under the stall to grumble some more to a figure that agent Wilhelm can't clearly make out through the obstruction of the stall door.

RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Jhondak
HP: 5

Jhondak pushed his way out of the stall scowling. "Expected by who? Who are you and what are you talking about?"
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Myron

At first, Myron tries to lean away from Owen, so as to not push his dinh into the porcelain seat, but he backs into the door. Shuffling he turns to open the door -but it opens inward. Murmuring an apology, Myron once again leans back into Owen so that he might open the door. Rustling, banging, and muttering Myron finally manages to free himself from the stall.

Once free of the confines of the stall Myron holds the door so that it doesn't bang into Owen. He glances around, taking in the mirrors, urinals, sinks, and the waiting man. His deep eyes glitter. Once Owen has gotten himself situated, Myron steps aside. Moving to the next stall, he gently pushes open that door. With the grind and clatter of heavy metal feet on ceramic tile, the Brass Engine emerges from the stall. Myron turns back to look at Brian, but he declines to speak as of yet.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 am

Brian Wilhelm
COND: Things do not go according to plans...

Brian's eyes flickered over the Brass Engine and Myron... and his lips pursed in a moment of fr*gging frustration. Apparently, things did not go according to plan, and far from it. Regardless, he might as well adjust and keep things going. Brian grabbed the large zipped-up gym bag he kept underneath the sink and pulled it out for into clear view and unzipped it.

"To give you the cliff notes, Tet Corporation wants to talk to you. We're an inter-dimensional business organization that fights the Crimson King. We expected your arrival, and we want to talk to you. I'm taking you to Headquarters, and there are clothes in there to help you not stick out like weird Renaissance Faire actors. Get changed, there's hoodies, t-shirts, Yankees hats, etcetera. All weapons except guns go in the bag along with your old clothes. Guns stay concealed and hidden. Bad news is, we're one change short..."

Bran's focus centered on Myron and the Brass Engine with a hint of irritation. "...since you've picked up someone new and that steampunk bot too. I can have the issue of the extra clothes settled, and we could pass off your weasel-ferret-dog as some exotic pet for long enough, but your clanker- I thought you guys would have learned from your previous trips about sticking out like sore thumbs on various Earths."

Brian sighed again while pulling out his phone, then pausing and waiting to see how the ka-tet responded.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby RedBstrd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:23 am

GM Post:

As Brian finishes speaking, Pablo emerges from the stall opposite from the one Myron and Owen exited. The billy bumbler follows in tow. "That's alright, agent. My attire will be sufficient," the Can-toi notes. Brian was able to count Pablo by virtue of seeing his shape through the sides of the stall door but in full sight, agent Wilhelm can't help but notice that Pablo is a low man. The semi-human creature wears the typical flesh mask (minus the gaping bleeding hole on the forehead) and the trademark mustard coat, with a vest and hat to complete the noir image. While his report informed him of the low man presence in the ranks of the walk-ins, Brian's past troubles with the servants of the Crimson King likely sour his mood more than the presence of one uncounted walk-in.

Watching for Brian's reaction, Pablo slowly moves his hand toward his bag of orizas. When the agent pulls out his phone instead of a gun, the low man instead adjusts his satchel on its shoulder strap and informs, "You must know of my kind. I am not a broken one like the others, cowering in fear of the Enemy and cowed into his bidding. I am sworn to the Line of Eld and will serve my ka-tet to the death. See me well, agent of Tet, and know my words are true." He borrows the manner of speech of gunslingers as best possible to convey his message but steers clear of the High Speech for declaration of his vows. He frankly doesn't know enough about the Tet Corporation to judge how far his limited High Speech would get him.

To Owen, the low man speaks: "My dinh, I know of this Tet Corporation. They are enemies of the Red... of Chaos," he adds as an explanation to Myron and Jhondak. "Sombra Corporation... that's what North Central Positronics is here; they want to destroy the Tet building." Sizing Brian up, Pablo concludes with a comment revealing some degree of curiosity. "They don't seem to be able to do so..."
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby McGuffin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Russ

Russ laughed like a man who after wandering a desert endlessly finally finds an oasis when he exited the stall after Jhondak. "New York, New York! Smell that sweet scent boys and welcome to the Big Apple! And the future no less, by the looks of things. I wonder if we have flying cars yet?" As he talked, Russ reached for the offered bag and started pulling out clothes seemingly haphazardly, occasionally tossing some bits and pieces in the direction of the rest of the ka-tet.

The gambler casually brushed his hands over his pistols as he chattered away. "I suggest you hear him well, sai Agent, because I see you plain enough and if you try any funny business we'll get to see which one of us is luckier." He flashed a grin to the man, but kept his voice perfectly calm and level as he spoke. None the less, he pushed a thought towards Pablo. You okay? I don't think he'll try anything.

"The man does have a point though, Myron, you're pet'll stand out like a sore thumb. I doubt we'll be wanting to draw that kind of attention to ourselves."
Last edited by McGuffin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Myron

With all members of his ka-tet accounted for, Myron relaxes imperceptibly. "Any hostile action taken against Pablo Cobain, our brother, will be met with the harshest possible retaliation," his tone is distracted, and lacks any particular emphasis... much in the some way someone would advocate taking an umbrella when it's raining. Myron is gazing around intently, not paying too much mind to the Tet Agent.

"High quality, mass-produced kilned clays. Iron alloys that shine like the purest silvers. These trappings suggest a sophisticated and pervasive aqueduct system... this future of yours Russ, is from before The World Moved On." While he has been speaking, the Brass Engine has started to reconfigure itself, it is too large to conveniently move in the confined space. It shifts so that it's front and rear sections seam roughly lion shaped, but the bulk of the middle of the engine has become a sectioned, accordion tube somewhat like a centipede -it coils about and collapses down to better fit its bulk into the room. "Perhaps I can disguise my familiar as one of the wheeled conveyances, like the ones Bron salvaged."

The sorcerer lays a hand on his mechanical friend. "I don't think you have concerns that we will stand out too much." With that, both Sorcerer and Familiar vanish.
Shroud of Tindalos -no one present has senses that will penetrate that... although people who share Khef with Myron can sense he hasn't gone anywhere.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Brian Wilhelm
COND: *blink blink*

"Well," Brian said, his eyes a bit more sour and focused on Pablo, "just come with me, no tricks, no trouble and-" Myron and the steampunk bot vanished. "Dammit!" Brian hissed angrily. "Why can't you guys just get changed?! Tell me your friend didn't just teleport himself into the city or something..."
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby McGuffin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 am

Russ

Russ felt out for Myron through their connection, then smiled. "Nah, he's still there, magic-man just did his thing and disappeared." He poked the sorceror to prove his point.

The gambler started pulling on the new clothes, which did nothing to stem his seemingly endless tide of words. "Anyway, chill man, we're here fresh from a warzone so I hope you'll excuse us if we're a bit laid back with all the lack of impending death an' all."

Russ paused in the middle of pulling on a hoodie to look quizzically at Brian. "I didn't just jinx us all, did I? You don't have World War III waiting for us outside the door or something, right? Although I guess there'd be less banjo music and more gunfire in that case. Or possibly just nukes..."

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room