The New FORCE Ops: [OOC-Full]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

The New FORCE Ops: [OOC-Full]

Postby Tattooedman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:18 pm

So let the recruiting begin! This is a PL 10 game set (of course) in Freedom City, the group is members of a newly formed team that are from all across the United States and have been recruited (so they are actually paid for the work they're doing) to come to Freedom City to help deal with the criminals since the Freedom League has become more “global” in the last year, the Atom Family are always traveling around the world, other dimensions, lost lands or researching some other odd occurrence that‘s caught their eye, while the Next-Gen and AlterniTeens are kept under the watchful eye of Headmaster Summers.

The Team:
Dovetail
Mr. Magnificent
Vanguard
Vindicator
Warshade

Former Members:
Abaddon
Archer II
Argus
Aurora
H4ck
La Rana
Livewire
Magnus
Silverstreak
Utu

In Memoriam:
K-9

Adventures/Issues:
Issue #1: Families’ Feud:
Issue #2: A 4-Letter Word:
Issue #3: Pirate & Ninjas….OHMY!:
Issue #4: The SHADOW of VIPER:
Issue #5: In Too Deep
Issue # 6: The Past You Don't Know
Issue #7: Hey! This is MY Heist!
Issue #8 The World of Shadows

The 16th Floor

The 17th Floor

The 18th Floor

The 19th Floor

The 20th Floor

Last edited by Tattooedman on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 46 times in total.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Godwall
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: New Heroes In Town: Recruiting

Postby Godwall » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:35 pm

I've recently been going through Warriors and Warlocks, so I was thinking of something a little sword & sorcery. How would you feel about a time-displaced adventurer? I'm currently unsure whether to go for a magician archetype or the demi-god adventurer though.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Postby hero4hire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 am

When you say "stick with the archetypes" do you mean submitting a build from the books as is? and then just coming up with a name and background?

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Manintights » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:50 am

Hey tattoedman, what would you feel about a duplicating scrapper for your game.

I recently build one for another PBP game but that concept fell through, bumping him up to PL10 wouldn't be much of a problem.

If it's something you don't like or are looking more for the archetypes in the books I'd like to submit an energy controler wind/ice.

MIT
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:49 am

hero4hire wrote:When you say "stick with the archetypes" do you mean submitting a build from the books as is? and then just coming up with a name and background?

I'm somewhat confused on this as well. Clarification would be great.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Postby hero4hire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:42 am

Well I am going to assume this is the case and submit this.

PARAGON: THE PERFECT MAN
Perfect Specimen Archetype (Instant Superheroes p46)
Power Level 10
Str 24
Dex 24
Con 24
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 14
Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+15), Climb 8 (+15), Drive 8 (+15), Escape Artist 8 (+15), Intimidate 8 (+10), Notice 8 (+9), Pilot 8 (+15), Stealth 8 (+15), Swim 8 (+15)
Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Elusive Target, Endurance, Evasion 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack 2, Uncanny Dodge (visual)
Combat: Attack +13, Grapple +20, Damage +7 (unarmed), Defense +13, Knockback -3, Initiative +11
Saving Throws: Toughness +7, Fortitude +11, Reflex +11, Will +6
Abilities 50 + Skills 18 + Feats 17 + Combat 52 + Saves 13 = Total 150

Background
John Common was once just a normal, ordinary, everyday guy. Normal that is until he picked up the self help book “The Pinnacle Path: Achieving Your Highest Potential” written by Jeremiah Ross; founder of the Pinnacle Path. What many considered “New Age claptrap” began to actually work for John, everyday in every way his life began to improve. His finances, love-life and health all began to drastically improve until; a year later he began to achieve his ultimate potential, physically, mentally. Barely recognizable as the man he once was, he took on the alias "Paragon: The Perfect Man". He soon became the poster child for The Pinnacle Path Religion as their penultimate success story.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:12 am

I am in the tabletop game so I can tell you that there is a little flexibility with the archetypes as written. I was able to lower my ranks in Super-Speed in order to make my character broader. But I would check with The Boss to get the OK on any modifications.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:15 am

EPIC wrote:
hero4hire wrote:When you say "stick with the archetypes" do you mean submitting a build from the books as is? and then just coming up with a name and background?

I'm somewhat confused on this as well. Clarification would be great.

Sorry about that, let me try to clear that up some.

What I mostly meant by "sticking to the archetypes" is mostly using those builds as a the basis for a character. Some changes for a couple skills, feats, or powers to suit what you may be thinking but mostly sticking with the archetypes. The original idea I had when I started this game was to give the players 15-20 minutes to pick an archetype, make a few minor changes and then start play. The group had originally gotten through that part and we started but then we ran into the problem of schedules and haven't been able to continue since.

-- Chiun

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:35 am

Godwall wrote:I've recently been going through Warriors and Warlocks, so I was thinking of something a little sword & sorcery. How would you feel about a time-displaced adventurer? I'm currently unsure whether to go for a magician archetype or the demi-god adventurer though.

I'm not against the idea and would be interested in seeing the background for such a character.

Manintights wrote:Hey tattoedman, what would you feel about a duplicating scrapper for your game.

I recently build one for another PBP game but that concept fell through, bumping him up to PL10 wouldn't be much of a problem.

If it's something you don't like or are looking more for the archetypes in the books I'd like to submit an energy controler wind/ice.

MIT

Again I'm not against the idea, though I am somewhat not too wild about the duplicating power personally (it can make things difficult during combat with keeping track of all the dupes & the possibilities of abuse on aid actions & teamworking). Though if it was a small number of dupes total it would be less problematic in my mind. I've dealt with the PC who could make 25 dupes and sent them out in groups of 5 to handle different jobs and the way it slowed things down with figuring aid bonuses and combat bonuses made things somewhat frustrating.

Not that I'm saying that would be the case with you MIT, but I've dealt with the abuse that power can bring and am leary of it since. But if you've got an idea that keeps the abuse possibilities in check then go ahead and submit your idea.

-- Chiun

Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Manintights » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 am

I absolutely get why you hesitate about duplication powersets. I have GM a group with duplicators before and aid and teamwork abuse is almost a given.

Maybe I'd just rather make the energycontroller. Got some cool ideas for a cold/wind control character.

MIT.
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

ShiftX
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ShiftX » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 am

Character: Gibraltar
Identity: Jack Gale
Height: 6'10"
Weight: 420 lb.

Power Level 10 (150 pp)

Abilities (20):

STR 16/36 (+13)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 16/36 (+13)
INT 10 (+0)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 12 (+1)

Skills (12): Bluff 5 (+6), Diplomacy 5 (+6), Gather Information 5 (+6), Intimidate 12 (+13), Knowledge: Streetwise 6 (+6), Notice 7 (+8), Sense Motive 7 (+8), Languages 1 (Spanish; English base)

Feats (8): All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown Attack, Ultimate Effort (Ultimate Toughness Save)

Powers (76):

Enhanced Strength 20
Enhanced Constitution 20
Impervious Toughness 13
Leaping 7
Super-Strength 7 (Power Feats: Shockwave, Ground Strike; Heavy Load 235 tons)

Combat (26): Attack +6 (+7 Melee) (Unarmed 13 dmg), Defense 17 (14 flat-footed), Initiative +6, Grapple +27, Knockback -13

Saves (8): Toughness +13 (Impervious), Fortitude +13, Reflex +5, Will +6

Abilities 20 + Skills 12 + Feats 8 + Powers 76 + Combat 26 + Saves 8= 150

Excerpt from an interview with the San Angelo Chronicle, March of last year:

Ok...lets get one thing straight from the start. I've never been bit by anything that was even close to being radioactive, cosmic-powered, or that even had cooties, for that matter. You'd be surprised what people believe, what with reading all those tabloid stories. Oh, yeah, and I never had anything romantical going on with that District Attorney-lady. We're just friends. Honest.

Hmmm. Lemme see...what else?

I'm strong. No, I mean really strong. Pick-up-a-car-and-shake-it-til-loose-change-falls-out kinda strong. I'm pretty much bullet-proof too. Steel-hard skin and an attitude to match. Heh. Naw, not really. You can leave that last part out...'bout the attitude.

How'd I get like this? Well, I could tell you alot of stories that I've heard around town...none of which would be true...but I'll let you in on the secret. You ever hear of a guy they call Baron Blizzard? The Mad-Scientist Master of the Bio-Freeze? Been arrested like a billion times trying stupid stunts like holding the city hostage by trying to freeze the Mayor and the entire City Council solid? Always gets smacked around by even the lamest of spandex heroes? Yeah, that's him. A real loser, right?

Well, I ain't proud of it, but he's my uncle. Yeah, really, he is. He's an idiot, but he's a genius-level idiot. Way back when he was getting his start, he lived with my parents for awhile. When my mother got pregnant with me, he was still working his day job as a biochemist for some research firm, and he convinced my parents that he could improve my genetics with this formula he'd been working on for the corporation. Make me stronger. Faster. Smarter that most of the other kids. Real hush-hush stuff.

Back then, they didn't have any reason to think he was quite the level of whacko that he later proved himself to be, and so, after alot of deliberation...my parents let him inject my mom with a series of treatments over the course of the pregnancy. When I was born, so far as they could tell, I was 100% normal...but as I grew up, it turned out that he at least got the physical stuff right. I mean, I'm not the brightest guy around, but most days, I am the strongest, and alot of times, the biggest. So I guess that he did something right, huh?

To be honest, when I was in my teens I actually considered going the bad-guy route for awhile. No, really, I did. Probably all them puberty hormones messing with my head, but during my "rebellious phase", I almost took part in a bank heist. Yeah, I know. Dumb move, but that was me back then...young and dumb. I'd met a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy that said he needed muscle...and I was definitely muscle, right?

Fate saved me, though. I couldn't get a ride from anyone to go to the warehouse where they were staging, so I'd had to take the bus downtown. I sat way in the back and decided to nap on the way. About halfway to where I was going, three guys got on the bus and tried to rob everyone. One of them held a knife on the busdriver with the other two came down the aisle with guns and bags to collect wallets and stuff.

Lets just say, they never saw me comin'.

Anyway, I kinda took it as a sign, and never got involved in that bank job. I got some press over the bus incident, and from there it just sorta seemed natural to keep helping people. Y'know, sort of my way to make up for alot of the terrible stuff that my uncle had done...and is still doing, I guess.

Personality:
Jack is an almost stereotypical Powerhouse, also known as a brick or a tank. He's strong, durable, and loyal to his teammates. He enjoys his work as a hero, both as a crimefighter and as a volunteer for numerous children's charities. In his personal time, he has become a Food Network addict, and likes to try and duplicate the recipes he sees in his own kitchen. Does this make him a good cook?...um, he's getting better.

Jack's identity is not publically known, exactly, but its not really a huge secret. Due to his massive size, its rather difficult for him to blend into a crowd whether as Jack or his alter ego, Gibraltar.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm working on something using the Costumed Detective Archetype from Instant Superheroes pg.15, Some minor changes will have to be made to fit the characters theme. Right now I'm working on something based on the images of Jun from Gatchaman.

She'll be the Hero known as Dovetail from Atlanta. I'll post more when I have it figured out, should be later today.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:36 pm

I've gotta admit that based on what I'm seeing so far from builds submitted and intended builds to come, that I'm going to have some difficult decisions ahead for me.

To quote Libra:

Keep up the great work folks. :D

-- Chiun

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Dovetail

Name: Susan West (Formerly Susan Walker)- Public Knowledge
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 127
Hair: Brunette
Eyes: Blue

Dovetail

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 154/154

STR: +4 (18), DEX: +4 (18), CON: +3 (16), INT: +3 (16), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +4 (18)

Tough: +3/+6, Fort: +6, Ref: +12, Will: +6

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Bluff 8 (+12), Climb 6 (+10), Computers 2 (+5), Disable Device 4 (+7), Drive 1 (+5), Escape Artist 6 (+10), Gather Information 6 (+10), Intimidate 8 (+12), Investigate 7 (+10), Knowledge (tactics) 3 (+6), Notice 8 (+11), Pilot 1 (+5), Search 8 (+11), Sense Motive 9 (+12), Stealth 11 (+15), Survival 4 (+7)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (melee), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Dodge Focus 6, Equipment 7, Evasion 2, Improved Block, Improved Critical 2 (Combat Baton (Strike 2)), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 2, Instant Up, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Survival, Stealth, Escape artist), Stunning Attack, Takedown Attack, Teamwork 2, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)

Powers:
Flight 1 (Speed: 10 mph, 88 ft./rnd; Gliding)
Helmet Sensors (Super-Senses 4) (infravision, radio, tracking: Infravision 1 (half speed))
Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
Super-Movement 1 (swinging)
Flash Bang (Dazzle 4) (affects: 3 sense types - visual and auditory, DC 14; Burst Area (20 ft. radius - General))
. . Bolas (Snare 7) (Alternate; DC 17)
. . Combat Baton (Strike 2) (Alternate; DC 21, Feats: Improved Block, Improved Critical 2 (Combat Baton (Strike 2)), Improved Disarm; Autofire (interval 2, max +5); Mighty)
. . Concussion Grenades (Stun 4) (Alternate; DC 14; Burst Area (20 ft. radius - General), Range (ranged))
. . Doves Feather (Blast 3) (Alternate; DC 22; Autofire 2 (interval 1, max +5); Mighty 4 (+4 to hit))
. . Shocker Knuckles (Strike 2) (Alternate; DC 21; Alternate Save (Fortitude); Mighty)
. . Smoke Bombs (Obscure 5) (Alternate; affects: 2 sense types - visual, Radius: 100 ft.; Cloud Area (25 ft. diameter, lingers - General); Limited to One Sense (Normal Vision))
. . Triggered Explosives (Strike 6) (Alternate; DC 21; Extended Reach 8 (40 ft.), Triggered 2 (any trigger))

Equipment: Costume [Flight 1, Speed: 10 mph, 88 ft./rnd; Gliding; Helmet Sensors (Super-Senses 4), infravision, radio, tracking: Infravision 1 (half speed); Protection 2, +2 Toughness], Grapple Gun [Super-Movement 1, swinging], Handcuffs, Mini-Tracer, Multi-Tool, Utility Belt [Flash Bang (Dazzle 4), affects: 3 sense types - visual and auditory, DC 14; Burst Area (20 ft. radius - General)]

Attack Bonus: +13 (Ranged: +13, Melee: +14, Grapple: +18)

Attacks: Bolas (Snare 7), +13 (DC Ref/Staged 17), Combat Baton (Strike 2), +14 (DC 21), Concussion Grenades (Stun 4) (DC Fort/Staged 14), Doves Feather (Blast 3), +13 (DC 22), Flash Bang (Dazzle 4) (DC Fort/Ref 14), Shocker Knuckles (Strike 2), +14 (DC Fort 21), Triggered Explosives (Strike 6), +14 (DC 21), Unarmed Attack, +14 (DC 19)

Defense: +14 (Flat-footed: +4), Knockback: -3

Initiative: +12

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 42 + Skills 25 (100 ranks) + Feats 31 + Powers 0 + Combat 42 + Saves 14 + Drawbacks 0 = 154

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

Edited Build on 1-9-11

Falconcrest and Dovetail, also known as James and Susan Warner, were married for 8 years before they even put on the costumes. They met in basic training when they both joined the Marines and were married less than a year later. They both did a few tours in the gulf before they hung up their fatigues and moved back home to Georgia. Where they tried to move on and make a family but they were so bored, and being married when you had to actually see each other more than a few weeks out of the year was kind of hard for both of them.

It wasn’t long before Susan started to find bruises and cuts all over her husband, with a little detective work she found the little hidden room that he built into the floor of their garage. The room was full of small custom made weapons and on a dummy against the far wall was a costume; the costume of a hero that the city of Atlanta was just now coming to realize was there. She had seen flashes of Falconcrest on the local news and something about him had felt so similar but she hadn’t put two and two together until that very second. Her husband was Falconcrest and it excited her so much.

She didn’t confront him about it, she didn’t run off and yell and scream about her not approving of him doing something this dangerous. She did start to gather material from the local fabric stores, paying in cash and not buying too much in anyone place. After a few weeks she was ready, she slipped on her costume, modeled from his, and stole some weapons from his hidden room and then she headed off into the night.

It wasn’t long before she was making the news just as much as Falconcrest and it wasn’t long after that James started to put things together and discovered that Dovetail was actually his own wife. Neither one of them was willing to hang up their capes so the only real option was for them to work together. Their fame rose even higher within Atlanta when they worked together, almost a weekend didn’t go by where they weren’t on the news for stopping one crime or another. Eventually they made more news than even they wanted when some enterprising young reporter tracked them down and discovered that the city’s newest duo were actually a married couple living out in the suburbs. Their faces were splashed all over the papers and there was no going back now.

Falconcrest and Dovetail then joined a newly formed team of heroes based out of Atlanta; everything was great for about 3-4 months. Falconcrest became the face of the team and took on the leadership role. This came to a crashing halt when their names were splashed all over the tabloids, pictures were taken of James in the company of Jinx, the young Luck manipulator that was also on the team. The affair had been going on since they had joined the team and after everything came out in the open James made it clear that he wanted to be with Jinx. Susan was crushed and that’s when she took the job with the newly formed team in Freedom City.
Last edited by ClassDunce on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Some very good builds have been submitted so far. Here is my character in this game, a speedster from Columbus, Ohio. I have updated his background and I changed his name because I found this cool picture and wanted his name to reflect the picture. Hopefully this will help people to see what they can do with the "archetypes" as written.

Name: Silver Streak
Secret ID: Scott Jackson

PL: 10
PP: 150
HP: 1

STR 14 (+2)
DEX 18 (+4)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 10 (+0)

Abilities Cost: 20 pp

Attack: +6/+12 with Speed Strike/+14 with Whirlwind Attack
Defense: 18/25 (14 flat-footed)
Toughness: +2/+5 with costume
Fortitude: +5
Reflex: +15
Will: +5

Combat Cost: 46 pp

Feats (17 pp)
Dodge Focus 7
Evasion 2
Power Attack
Improvised Tools
Jack of All Trades
Eidetic Memory
Equipment 1 (Costume: Protection 3, Immunity 2: Critical Hits)
Move-By Action
Acrobatic Bluff
Skill Mastery (Notice, Medicine, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand)

Skills (18 pp)
Acrobatics 12 (+16)
Computers 8 (+9)
Knowledge (life sciences) 6 (+7)
Knowledge (physical sciences) 6 (+7)
Medicine 8 (+9)
Notice 10 (+11)
Profession 4 (+5, EMT)
Search 10 (+11)
Sleight of Hand 8 (+12)

Powers (49 pp)
Super-Speed 7 (Speed 7, Quickness 7, Improved Initiative 7, Array 7, PF: Permeate, Air-Walking, Accurate 3) 40 pp
-Default: Superspeed (Speed 13 [20 total], 25,000,000 MPH, 13 pp, dynamic) 1 pp
-DAP: Super Quick (Quickness 13 [20 total], 5 million times faster, 13 pp, dynamic) 2 pp
-DAP: Faster than the Eye Can Follow (Concealment 4, all visual senses, Limited [-1, only while moving], 4 pp, dynamic) 2 pp
-DAP: Speed Strike (Strike 6, PF: Mighty, Subtle 2, Extended Range 3 [20'], Takedown Attack 2, 14 pp, dynamic) 2 pp
-DAP: Whirlwind Attack (Strike 6, Targeted Area Burst [+1], Progression [60' R.], Accurate, 14 pp, dynamic) 2 pp

Powers Cost: 49 pp
Feats Cost: 17 pp
Skills Cost: 18 pp
Combat Cost: 46 pp
Abilities Cost: 20 pp
Total Cost: 150 pp

Background: Scott Jackson grew up in Columbus, Ohio. He was an athletic boy who found his true calling in the gymnastics arena. He was the top gymnast in the state of Ohio in high school, which earned him several scholarship offers. His love for his beloved Buckeyes kept Scott in Columbus where he attended The Ohio State University as a gymnast. Scott majored in pre-med and was planning to attend medical school, when his father died suddenly and without warning. Scott had to help his mother make ends meet. So Scott did the next best thing that he could: he took a job as an EMT.

During one of his runs, Scott had to rush into a burning chemical factory near German Village. As he was treating an unconscious victim, the fire and heat caused a chemical reaction to occur in a wall of chemicals nearby. Scott saw the flash right before the explosion and managed to cover his patient with his body. However, Scott himself was bathed in the chemical "soup". The soup turned Scott's hair silver and caused changes within his body granting him supernatural speed and agility. When Scott looked up after the explosion, it was as if everything was moving in slow motion. He quickly rushed his patient outside to a waiting ambulance. Scott soon realized that he could use his abilities to help others and quickly became known as the superhero, Silver Streak, because that is all anyone can see when Scott uses his powers. Scott still resides in Columbus with his mother, but he now fights crime in Freedom City, since he can travel between the two cities in less than a second.
Last edited by Mark Reuter on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “M&M Game Room”