Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The New FORCE Ops: [OOC-Full]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: The New FORCE Ops: [OOC-Full]

Postby CelticREI » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Hehe, aye, I was going to suggest just about the same as those above me. Variable 2 is most likely what ye were going for as it is 10pp that is able to be shifted (Vari 10 is just insane lol Only time it makes sense is Beastboy-like characters where that is all they have for powers)

The Metamorph was another I was going to suggest

As was putting Deflect into an array like TM did, because in 3e ye -have- to use a Standard action to use it so it is pointless outside an array really.

Also, Regen 1 is only really useful outside of combat, as when was the last time ye were in a fight where it lasted over 10 rounds? (TM, your VIPER/SHADOW/Force Ops fight doesn't count ;p) Honestly it only becomes good once it hits every 3 rounds and really good at every 2 rounds and almost broken at every round (I prefer to think it stops at every round ;p).
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games
CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Shock wrote: Metamorph is a good idea.

Thanks.

Shock wrote: The only thing I see is that you've only got 4 ranks of Shrinking which makes for a rather large ferret.

According to the book that’d be around 3 ft long. According to Wikipedia a ferret is only about 20 inches long total (including the tail) so I didn’t think a couple inches mattered much in a comic book setting.

kenseido wrote: Did you really mean Variable 10? That is 50 points to add to the array?

My guess is Variable 2 to add 10pp.

And correct you would be with that guess. Got numbers crossed in my head.

kenseido wrote:Since the Variable is a Standard action to change, Aurora would need two rounds to use it. So maybe make it a Move action.

Good point. That’s added in now.

CelticREI wrote:As was putting Deflect into an array like TM did, because in 3e ye -have- to use a Standard action to use it so it is pointless outside an array really.

Thanks. That’s was pretty much my reasoning for putting it there.

CelticREI wrote:Also, Regen 1 is only really useful outside of combat, as when was the last time ye were in a fight where it lasted over 10 rounds? (TM, your VIPER/SHADOW/Force Ops fight doesn't count ;p) Honestly it only becomes good once it hits every 3 rounds and really good at every 2 rounds and almost broken at every round (I prefer to think it stops at every round ;p).

Which is something Jalinth mentioned; Aurora won’t really use the ferret form in combat (I don’t recall the exact reason). So a kind of slow healing makes more sense since it’s not really going to have an in game effect, it’s basically a feature more than anything else in my mind.

So I went ahead and did a quick edit on the build concerning Chinook. So now I'm thinking it's just a matter of seeing what Jalinth has to say on it.

Thanks for the help everyone.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby CelticREI » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Tattooedman wrote:
Shock wrote: The only thing I see is that you've only got 4 ranks of Shrinking which makes for a rather large ferret.

According to the book that’d be around 3 ft long. According to Wikipedia a ferret is only about 20 inches long total (including the tail) so I didn’t think a couple inches mattered much in a comic book setting.

3 Feet = 36 inches (36-20 =//= 'a couple inches') ;)
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games
CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Shock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 pm

The size table is supposed to represent a range. So I think size -3 is anywhere from 1 foot to 3 feet. I'm with T-man. Close enough ;}
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Tattooedman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm

CelticREI wrote:3 Feet = 36 inches (36-20 =//= 'a couple inches') ;)

Whaddayawant? I'm a GM, not a math major!?! :wink:

Besides, I've always said math is my one big weakness. :roll:

-- Chiun
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Wait, we're having issues with the size of the magical ferret? ;~)

And somehow that concept has just made my day a little bit brighter.
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 pm

I said it before, this is going to be a fun group.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jalinth » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Skimmed things, but I just got back from running my first session of a new game so I'm not feeling like changing mental gears to M&M from Iron Kingdoms tonight. I'll look in depth when I get home from work tomorrow. Overall it looks quite reasonable to me, but I do need to read it with a clear head.

I do have a couple [edit: I mean lots. Seems that I spent more time on the below then planned] of comments on the reasoning behind why I was doing what I was doing, just for peoples information. I know I find it easier tweaking other folks builds when I have some idea of what they were trying to do.

Shock wrote:At first combining Variable and Jalinth makes me twitchy but between the limits and the fact you can keep it on concept, I think that's a good idea too.

I'm forced to agree with Shock. I'm bad enough with power stunts, much less with a variable power. :) The idea of a GM who knows me SUGGESTING even a limited variable power surprises and amuses me. :D

The way the character worked in 2e was the 10PP power in the device added Autofire to Blast, Constricting to Bind, Redirection to Deflect, Knockback 10 to Strike, Knockback 10 to Trip. One set effect that she wasn't able to change. At least without a power stunt. If she has the staff, she has a 30PP power. If she doesn't she has a 20PP power that is still useful, but obviously weaker. Frankly, 99% of the time characters have their devices with them and it's for a reason. If your character is like Iron Man, then losing your device cripples you, and believe me being stripped of all your powers sucks [I make exceptions for things like this adventure where it's a temporary setback for plot reasons]. In PF Zalman had 2 points in one adventure where he had no magic, and in another his magic was limited. Yes, taking down VIPER agents with a blaster rifle you just pulled from their unconscious buddies hands was cool, but playing a PL 5 in a PL 11 game is only fun for short periods of time. Having the staff as it is gives the GM something to take away that would weaken her, but not make her useless. The enemy can disarm her to reduce her threat, but doesn't mean she's out of the fight.

The in-character reason for this was that Zalman (her teacher) does not believe on relying on tools. They are useful, but they can be a crutch that denies you from reaching your true potential. Besides one never knows when one will be stripped naked and tossed into a cell. When Zalman took her under his wing, her entire array was in the device. He trained her until she could cast reliably without the help of the staff.

Fun fact - Aurora's "Storm Staff" doesn't actually have anything to do with storms. She just decided she liked the theme. Her array is all force magic. Her blasts? Magic Missile on steroids. Radioactive steroids.

I wanted Aurora's spell set to be less flexible then Zalmans. Even at character creation, Zalman could do a heck of a lot of different things (See:Boost a.k.a source of Davies' Ulcer :) ). For Aurora, all her spells are fairly blunt. Blast things, smash things, toss things away, tie them up, or knock them away from hitting you. No scrying, no teleporting, no summoning, no variable powers. Just to keep things a bit easier on the GM. She has the knowledge and training to power stunt much of that, but doesn't have it as part of her normal toolkit.

All in all I wanted a character who was less of a potential headache to GM then Zalman was while still being a wizard. The first plan when TM brought up the idea of me joining FORCE Ops was to have Zalman be on the team. We changed the plan after I thought about it some, and I realized that I didn't want to play Zalman from 150pp again because I'd just be treading over familiar ground and that his powers had a number of gotcha's for a GM. Aurora was a fresh face, who I wouldn't resent for not being able to do what end game Zalman could do, because she wasn't Zalman. Playing his student gives me the best of both worlds. A connection to some of the best fun I've ever had in a RPG ever, and a clean slate without 11,000 posts worth of baggage. While I'm still not quite successful with getting into Aurora's head, I do think she is going to be able to achieve those aims.

The Ferret form is mostly a reference to the series that partially inspired Aurora. She's a mix of two characters from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Nanoha, who does things like this, is obvious in how she inspired Aurora.

The other character is Yunno, who is a supporting character. At the very start of the first season he is badly hurt (fighting a monster that Nanoha later defeats within 2 minutes of finding out magic is real) and transforms into his alternate form, that of a ferret, to heal. The small form places less stress on his magical core and he is able to focus his power on healing. He stays in that form for most of the first season. I tossed it in mostly as a nod to the series that inspired the character. If you look at the 2e version I had recovery rate (disabled) 1 (recover 1 / 5 hours), recovery rate (injured) 1 (recover 1 / 20 mins). That's purely out of combat healing. It isn't really needed in 3e any more, but I felt the need to leave at least some token in there. If I wanted in combat healing, she'd be a wolverine not a ferret. :)

Well, that took up exactly as much time as my clothing was in the dryer, so I'm going go to bed. Work in the morning and all. Fly safe folks!
Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
-A.E. Housman
Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby Tattooedman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:45 am

Jalinth wrote:Fun fact - Aurora's "Storm Staff" doesn't actually have anything to do with storms. She just decided she liked the theme. Her array is all force magic. Her blasts? Magic Missile on steroids. Radioactive steroids.

I knew this but for some reason now, I can't leave stuff unnamed now in character builds (personally I'll say it's part of my obsessive character building disorder). But I could see Aurora having small names for things Chinook does that are completely unrelated to her style of magic for no other reason as to be sneaky/tricky. I totally could see Zalman supporting this idea for some strange reason (and it going something like the following)....

"Misdirection can often benefit one who walks our path and finds themself against one of a different, darker path."

"So I should let an opponent think my magic is storm related in some way and when they try to nullify weather based magic I let them have it with a magic missle to their face?"

~with an approving nod of his head~ "Precisely."

In other news, I know Jalinth hasn't done an interlude but at this point I'm thinking his schedule is a bit busy and I'm wanting to get the game moving along.

-- Chiun
Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:16 pm

I just noticed Danny has a 15 in Computers. Between him, Liz, Eva and Vivian that's quite the IT crew Ethan's put together.
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:50 pm

Since my color is close to Vindicator and Dovetail, I will go ahead and change at the next post.
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jalinth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Sorry about yet another delay. Weekends (the real ones) are the times when I have the least free time, and this one was no different. My weekend (days off) just started, so I'll get right to things ASAP.
-A.E. Housman
Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby kenseido » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 pm

I am heading out of town Thursday for my niece's wedding, so my posting will be limited until I get home Sunday evening.
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:26 am

Have a good time!
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Jalinth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Have fun with the Wedding!

I'm going to work on some IC posts now. Neither suggested build is all that different from each other so I don't see a problem just assuming the final one will be close enough until tomorrow (or later tonight). I doubt that much die rolling will come up until tomorrow.
-A.E. Housman
Jalinth
Titan
Titan

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room