Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Wild Cards: Aces and 8's (OOC-Full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Wild Cards: Aces and 8's (looking for interest)

Postby Macguffin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Technically there are a few non-wildcard heroes in the series, though I can see why you wouldn't want many of them... what would the point of an Aces and 8's game be if everyone played something that was neither? But for the sake of passing a few minutes while the blizzard peters out...

Yeoman- Kind of like the green arrow mixed with the Punisher.
Blaise Jeannot Andrieux- Psychotic half-alien telepath. Not really a hero, but what they heck.
Dr. Tachyon- Guilt ridden alien fop with mental powers.
Detroit Steel- Technically an ace, but his power manifests in the suit of power armor he built for himself from old cars so I thought I would throw him in.
Modular Man- Android built by Dr. Maxim Travnicek.
Rosemary Muldoon- Mafia Princess/DA I insluded her because she MEANT well, which is more than you can say for a lot of characters in the series.
Kien Phuc- While we are at it, one of the nastiest baddies in the series was a nat... at least until he stole Fadeout's body.
Macguffin
Hero
Hero

Re: Wild Cards: Aces and 8's (looking for interest)

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Yes, well Yeoman was the reason I said I would allow a Nat. My older brother is a bigtime fan of the "Ace of Spades Killer".

Of course, in book 14: Marked Cards, you could consider Josh McCoy a hero and he's a Nat and the motivating character for the whole Card Sharks counter strike was Hannah Davis...another Nat.

As for Detroit Steel, since no one can use his armor except him, I consider him an Ace with one heck of a crutch, but, no worse than The Great and Powerful Turtle.

Mod Man is an interesting case, because in M&M terms, this is a case of the "Reverse-Sidekick" option. The Ace (later Joker) Maxim Travnicek is the side-kick to his creation. Holy Frankenstein's Monster!

All things said and done though, I would prefer a cast of Aces and Joker-Aces (8's) for the most part. WC offers some interesting challenges and I almost went a PL lower (though still with 120pts) for the game. After all, many, if not most of the opponents the characters are bound to face will be Nats. There just aren't enough Wild Carders in existence to generate the standard comics array of "Evil Aces". Since most jokers are just hideously (or mildly) deformed, they pretty much are the same as Nats, challenge-wise in a fight.

Not to worry though, I've got enough up my sleeve to keep pc's busy for a good, long while.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Wild Cards: Aces and 8's (Recruiting)

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Must...climb...page!
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Setothes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:13 am

I'd be interested in trying this out, if you've got room for one more.

I haven't nailed down a character concept yet, and my last PBP Wild Cards character was a 'reformed' third-generation Swarmling, who, with the leavetaking of the brood mother, chose to 'blend' and remain in disguise as a human / ace, rather than be outed as a former alien invader...

Obviously that's neither Joker, nor Ace, so for this game, I'd come up with something more in tune with the requested builds.

Sample character, although by no means my final choice, just the one that leapt out immediately;

Beth was at ground zero, and the crash occured within a couple of hundred yards of where she was standing on the street, looking up in shock as thousands of pounds of debris rained down upon her position. What came next was blackness and a sense of overwhelming pressure, punctuated by distant voices and rumblings. It was days before her flattened body was found beneath the rubble, sniffed out by a police dog, and as the crane hoisted the 800 lb. chunk of debris off of her position, her body returned to three-dimensional state, puzzling her rescuers, who could not imagine how the young girl had survived with barely a scratch on her (although her shoes and handbag were crushed flat...). She didn't want to be a freak, and just wanted to pretend it didn't happen, spending the next six months in therapy, as she went into a state of violent denial, not just about her survival, but denying that her kinda/sorta boyfriend, who had been standing next to her when the debris landed on them, hadn't died in the crash, and that she hadn't spent over 50 hours beneath a ton and a half of rubble, pressed up against Paul's crushed body. Paul's family loathed her, for surviving where their son had not, and her own mother was at wit's end, trying to juggle her survivor guilt, combined with her own work as a therapist (her caseload was already overwhelming in the weeks after the crash, and having to come home and try to relate to her daughter, who she knew quite well she wasn't going to be objective enough to deal with on a professional level, was just one blow too many for their family to take). Beth felt abandoned by her mother, who referred her to a colleage to talk about her trauma, since it seemed what was the point of having to put up with a shrink for a mom, if she couldn't be there when she was needed? Beth didn't care to hear about 'professionalism' or 'too close to the problem,' as it all sounded like excuses, and she froze her mother out, only to find herself more alone than ever, as her mom and Sam had been her two go-to people for talking out her problems, and she angrily felt that both had abandoned her.

She's come a long way since then, but is still angry, and doesn't open up to people very quickly, still feeling that they will just go away, or fail her when it matters. This has made her annoyingly independent, the sort of person who gets annoyed and peevish if someone tries to help them, or even chats her up in a friendly manner, responding with comments like, "I don't need your help!" or "What do you care?" Where this a romantic comedy, her prickly demeanor would be a protective shell covering a person who just wants to be held, but Beth's life doesn't star Hugh Grant as the nice whacky guy who drags her out of her shell. Instead, she's actually grown to *like* the person she's become, fierce and independent, and has thrown herself into many activities that she had formerly been intimidated to try. She was always the star gymnast, and it seemed like half of her extended family wanted her to try out for the Olympics (blithely unaware that she would have had to start training for the Olympics at the age of like, three, if she wanted to go that route, which she didn't), and Sam was the martial arts nut. Left with some 'toys' he'd left behind in her room, nunchuks and martial art magazines mostly, she decided that if Sam wasn't there, she would take on his role, and study the martial arts in his place. His friends at the 'dojo' weren't sure what to think, as she'd come to pick him up or just watch him practice, but never participated before, but the instructor was pleased, if somewhat concerned about her level of dedication. She would spend hours practicing moves, and preferred very 'un-lady-like' tactics like grappling and submission holds. Within a year, she was a star pupil, and had her own key to the dojo, where she would go to get away from her mother, and to practice moves that none of the other students would be allowed to see, her 'freak moves,' where her body would twist like water and spin around like a ribbon of flesh and bone. Over time, she learned even to compact her gi into whatever two-dimensional state she would assume, and learned that if she struck something edge-on, she was deadly, able to slice through even metal bars like a living lightsaber. The thought of ever using her moves on a person was so disgusting to her (and brought back red wet memories of those days lying next to Sam's body), that she made the decision to learn the various grappling and submission techniques that so perplexed her instructors and fellow students. If she ever found herself forced to use her 'freak powers' in a fight, she would wrap around a person, rather than risk cutting them with her nearly mono-molecular 'edges.'

Papercut, the Folding Girl (Beth Molsen)
PL 8 (120 pp)

Abilities 18 + Combat 16 + Saves 5 + Skills 13 + Feats 16 + Powers 45 = 113 pp (PL 8)

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12 [18 pp]

Attack: Melee +4, Hand-to-hand +8, Grapple +10 (when folded), Ranged +4 [8 pp]
Defense: +4, +10 when ‘folded’ (+2 flat-footed) [8 pp]
Initiative: +7
Damage: +0 hand to hand (19-20 Crit), +8 (penetrating, 16-20 Crit) when folded
Saves: Toughness +2 / +6 when folded (+2 flat-footed), Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4 [5 pp]

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+11), Bluff 2 (+3), Climb 2 (+3), Computers 2 (+3), Concentration 0 (+2), Craft (artistic) 4 (+5), Diplomacy 2 (+3), Disable Device 2 (+3), Disguise 0 (+2), Drive 0 (+3), Escape Artist 2 (+5, +7 when folded), Gather Information 0 (+1), Handle Animal 0 (+1), Intimidate 0 (+1), Investigate 2 (+3), Knowledge (art) 2 (+3), Knowledge (current events) 2 (+3), Knowledge (physical sciences) 2 (+3), Knowledge (streetwise) 2 (+3), Knowledge (technology) 2 (+3), Language (English, native), Medicine 1 (+3), Notice 2 (+4), Perform (stage magic) 2 (+4), Search 2 (+3), Sense Motive 2 (+4), Sleight of Hand 2 (+5), Stealth 5 (+8), Survival 0 (+2), Swim 0 (+0)
[13 pp, 52 ranks in skills]

Feats: Accurate Attack, Acrobatic Bluff, Ambidexterity, Attack Specialization (unarmed) 2, Defensive Attack, Evasion 1, Grappling Finesse, Improved Critical (hand to hand) 1, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 1, Improved Defense, Improved Sunder, Instant Up, Power Attack, Challenge (feint as a move action with acrobatic bluff)
[16 pp]

Powers:
Alternate Form (two-dimensional) 9 (Insubstantial 1, Concealment 2 (visual), Strike 8 (Extra: Penetrating)), Elongation 2, Enhanced Combat Feats 18 (Chokehold, Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 6, Evasion +1, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (hand to hand) 3, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin))
[45 pp]

But, like I said, that's a first notion. I'm tempted to work up a character with some sort of transportation power or some sort of ranged utility. Perhaps even a kinda/sorta vampiric healer, who moves life-energy around. Tons of potential, really.
Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby levinwurth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 am

Setothes wrote:
But, like I said, that's a first notion. I'm tempted to work up a character with some sort of transportation power or some sort of ranged utility. Perhaps even a kinda/sorta vampiric healer, who moves life-energy around. Tons of potential, really.

Let's face it, most of the traditional roles in a "super team" haven't been filled so there's room for anything. But personally I love Papercut!
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds
levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Bluecross » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:13 am

Hi Horsenhero:

I bow to your superior expertise in things ovine... With that Drawback I was thinking more along the lines of a need for a high food intake (and one that is more of a herbivore diet than a normal human diet). Mouldy grass will be fine! :wink:
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights
Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:58 am

^_^ In the interest of having a more Ace-like team composition, I'll withdraw The Thin Man. I'm working up an Animate Images gal in the vein of Tarot from Marvel comics (in other news, Doug Ramsey is alive again!). Basically a straight Animate Images with some APs representing her directly channeling the power of her tarot cards (happened back in the excellent Jeremy Bottroff fanfic "Brothers in Arms" and later in actual Marvel continuity) in the form of things like Blasts, Boosts, etc. I'll try to have her posted later today.

I had a side idea of statting up Ubik, my ubiquitous Duplicator (who actually has a fairly low-powered Duplicate power because most of his duplicates are spread across the world providing him things like a Variable to channel any skill) but he didn't quite fit the year timeframe.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby levinwurth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:07 am

More! I demand more discussion! :D

Just a question for Setothes though: would you consider Papercut a Joker or an Ace? Since I'm a newbie at the setting myself, I find that for me the lines between the two can sometimes be a little blurred.
Active Characters

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:03 am

Papercut is a straight Ace. while her body does change shape, her base form is no more strange than an average human. To give some more standard comics comparisons; Cyclops-Ace. Nightcrawler-Joker-Ace. Colossus-Ace, Beast-Joker-Ace. Essentially, if the character has a primary form that is human appearing (looks, smells, etc., like a regular joe...even if it's an extraordinarily muscular, handsome regular joe) they are an Ace. If a character's normal form looks fundamentally (if even mildly) inhuman, then they are a Joker-Ace. If a character looks fundamentally (if even mildly) inhuman and has NO super-human abilities to balance that out, they are a Joker. Now...this is where it gets hard; transforming and/or cyborg type characters are whatever they appear as before the change/addition of parts. So a human looking paraplegic who builds himself cyborg replacement parts, to compensate for his physical lack, is an Ace, no matter what those mechanical parts look like. His Wild Card mutation is mental...he is smart enough to build tech that is waaay beyond the norm for now, much less 1996. Ignorant people might still mistake him/her for a Joker though. Further, a normal looking person who transforms into a hulking behemoth is also an Ace, because their standard form is normal, but, take that same concept and make the primary from some poor guy/gal who has saran-wrap like skin, giving no end of trouble in the sunshine (UV light is bad for internal organs) and that same character becomes a Joker-Ace, since in the primary form transparent skin gives no benefit besides a built in disgust factor (which is what being a joker is about really).

I hope this wordy missive helps.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby levinwurth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:23 am

Horsenhero wrote:
I hope this wordy missive helps.

It does, thank you!

...any more information on the setting you can give us? I'm eager for stuff to think about!
Active Characters

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby 9thDoctor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 am

Horsenhero, in your introduction you say that 35000 people were in the radius of the viral cloud and now 3500 wild cards exist with new coming in every day...
As I get from your abovementioned survival rate, should't the 3500 be the maximum number of survivors? After all, that stuff is lethal.
St.Louis Blues - GM
X-Freshmen - GM (on Hold)

La Rana - New FORCE Ops (on Hold)
CeeCee - Wild Cards (on Hold)

My Roll Call - The Doctor's Original Builds
The Doctor's Conversions
9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Postby levinwurth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 am

9thDoctor wrote:Horsenhero, in your introduction you say that 35000 people were in the radius of the viral cloud and now 3500 wild cards exist with new coming in every day...
As I get from your abovementioned survival rate, should't the 3500 be the maximum number of survivors? After all, that stuff is lethal.

10% of those infected with the Wild Card virus survive and end up either Jokers or Aces, so 3500 is right, if you assume 100% of the people in the blast radius were infected. Normal human migration is probably going to account for the rest.
Active Characters

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:58 am

Any specific questions levinwurth? The setting is actually quite rich, with 20 novels currently produced, not to mention the handy M&M campaign setting (written by John Jos. Miller, one of the WC authors), adventure book (which I'm not using) and the upcoming Aces&Jokers (or is it Jokers&Aces) supplement. There is a whole lot of information about the setting to plumb, though much of it will have to happen "in game". the only two novels I'm missing from my coolection are Deuces Down and Death Draws Five (16 and 17), so I'm fairly fluent in what's out there for players to use for imagination candy.

One specific thing I will cover is actually a question asked me by a friend who doesn't online game, but is thankfully interested in all things geek:

Why use Denver as opposed to NYC, where the Jokertown of the novels is and where much of the action from novels takes place?

The answer is simple. I want to create a new story using the setting. I want the pc's to be the Jay Ackroyd's, Dr. Tachyon's, Black Shadow's and Great and Powerful Turtle's of that story. I might send the pc's to NYC occassionally, but, I want the dirt and grime of the primary setting to be this group of pc's dirt and grime. I don't want my pc's feeling like they're playing in someone else's sandbox.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:11 am

9th Doctor, you've got me watching my p'&q's, which is good. So, since biology, even the biology of epidemiology is imperfect, my numbers of WC survivors are estimates based on the "normal survival ratios" for an outbreak. Actually, since human biosystems have had three to four generations of dealing with the virus, in my thoughts there is a (very) minute increase in survival chances and sometimes during pandemic outbreaks, there are unaccountable fatality and survival ratios in certain locales which baffle scientists. My survival ratio for Denver is actually slightly higher than the percentage norm, but, not mind-numblingly so. However in the year since the outbreak, there has been some migration to Denver from surrounding areas, because being the only Joker/freak in a small town like La Junta, Cortez, Aspen or Limon would suck. In a town with a larger number of like-mutated individuals, life might be more tolerable.

The numbers, in no way shape or form come close to matching New York's "Jokertown", but, in a city of only 1.5 million, it's enough to start an enclave.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:34 am

Character Name: Angela-Marie Talbot
Character Alias: Tarot
Height: 6'1""
Weight: 143 lb
Hair: Red, long and straight
Eyes: Cerulean
Power Level: 8
Power Points: 120
Appearance: On the tall and reedy side, her features are a little too strong and aquiline to be beautiful, but she has a certain appeal to her. Her movements tend to be spare and terse, lacking elegant grace. Her typical garb is a dark green long-sleeved shirt and brown leather pants with combat boots on her feet and a simple full-face cloth mask to hide her identity. The staff is a simple oaken staff that's been polished to a dark brown sheen by constant use.
--------------------------------------

----------Background---------
When Angela encountered late 16th century Europe in class in High School, it was the beginning of what was to become a mad affair. She read every book she could on the the subject, watched the movies, even wrote to historians to try to understand it better. The SCA at the local college happily accepted her encyclopaedic knowledge and art skills and repayed her with staff lessons that she took to like a fish to water. Particularly fascinating to Angela was the origins of Tarot cards. At first, she feared them as possibly being an occult influence but the more she studied their background, the more she found the prominent Catholic imagery in early decks. She designed her own deck based on the fragmentary art work she could find and was considering trying to sell it online when the Event happened.

When the Event happened, Angela thought she'd been untouched. She went home to friends and family and tried her best to put her life back together despite so many people dying, so many people gaining strange powers, so many people... changing into monstrous and illogical forms. She thought she was one of the lucky ones who showed no sign until one day, she dropped one of her cards and had three strapping young men appear before her, staffs in hand, ready to do battle for her sake. It wasn't long before she found that she could animate any of her cards, indeed any drawing at all. More experimentation proved that she could even draw upon the symbolism of her own personal deck to gain aspects of the trumps. Knowing that she had this power, she started to view the chaos outside not so much as a dire danger, but more as a possibility, a chance to carve her own life out in a world filled with mystery and magic, just like the people in the 16th century. And so, staff in hand, fine chain mail hidden below her clothing, and cards always at the ready, she started to walk the streets, occasionally acting as a hero, but more often just enjoying the experience.
--------------------------------------

STR: +1 (12), DEX: +4 (18), CON: +2 (14), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +4 (18), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +2/+7, Fort: +4, Ref: +8, Will: +6

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+8), Bluff 7 (+9), Computers 2 (+4), Concentration 9 (+13), Craft (artistic) 10 (+12), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Knowledge (streetwise) 2 (+4), Knowledge (history) 6 (+8), Notice 6 (+10), Perform (singing) 4 (+6), Pilot 2 (+6), Sense Motive 8 (+12), Sleight of Hand 4 (+8), Stealth 6 (+10), Swim 2 (+3)

Feats: Attack Focus (melee) 4, Attack Specialization (Quarterstaff), Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 6, Equipment 3, Luck 3, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Craft (Artistic), Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand)

Powers:
Animate Images (Animate Object 7) (Custom (Animate Images); Progression, # Objects 3 (10 objects))
Tarot Guises (Variable 4) (Alternate; acquire: multiple powers; Limited (to Tarot images))
Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Notice +7 (+17), Sense Motive +5 (+17))
Enhanced Trait 5 (Feats: Conspiracy Theorist 5)
Luck Control 4 (bestow hero points, force a re-roll, negate gm fiat, spend hero point for another)

Power Settings:
Chariot Trump (Power Setting) (Powers: Speed 5)
Fool Trump (Power Setting) (Powers: Luck Powers (Container, Passive 4))
Minor: Ten of Swords (Power Setting) (Powers: Blast 5)
Strength Trump (Power Setting) (Powers: Super-Strength 6, Strength +4 (16, +3))

Equipment: Art supplies, Camera, Cell Phone, Multi-Tool, PDA, Quarterstaff, Tarot deck, Undercover Vest

Attack Bonus: +4 (Ranged: +4, Melee: +8, Grapple: +9)

Attacks: Blast 5, +4 (DC 20), Quarterstaff, +10 (DC 18), Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 16)

Defense: +9 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -3

Initiative: +4

Languages: English

Totals: Abilities 30 + Skills 19 (76 ranks) + Feats 24 + Powers 25 + Combat 14 + Saves 8 + Drawbacks 0 = 120

Complications:
* In over her head - Angela hasn't quite realized just how dangerous this new world can be. She's been lucky so far to not get hurt, but her luck isn't going to hold forever.
* Belief system - While she was never a holy roller, Angela maintains her Catholic faith and often struggles with whether she should be doing more with her gifts.
* Family - Angela's father died in the Event, but her mother still lives as do a younger brother and a younger sister. her mother knows that Angela walks the streets at night occasionally, and knows that she does so with staff and armor, so therefore knows that Angela is seeking trouble and is bound to find it.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room