NEW VINDICATORS (Full - OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: NEW VINDICATORS (Full - OOC)

Postby Arkrite » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:51 am

The Drifter rounded on Kas with a furious look. "Stop being so stubborn!" she snapped. "Just hug him, already!"

Seriously?

She just watched Bulwark attempt to flat out murder a downed helpless man and her response is "Hug him"?

... The hell?

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:57 am

It sort of makes sense if she thinks Bulwark will kill Kas.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Hrmm... when you put it like that it does somewhat make sense.

Still, in the (slightly edited) words of Uncle Iroh: "No, he's crazy, and he needs to go down."

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Arkrite wrote:And the instant Kas leaves the ground Bulwark is pretty much screwed, as he won't be able to see you, and his ranged attack is terrible.
Not that Kas would know that, but still.

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree but Bulwark's tremorsense goes far beyond the standard definition of the power. Usually you need to be on a contiguous surface with at least fluid density to use Tremorsense, however, Bulwark's tremorsense is acute enough to allow him to watch television (he can feel and instinctively translate what the electron collisions on the picture screen mean) and it compensates for his deafness. Both these uses go far beyond the standard definition of the power, so I'm not altogether certain that simply being airborne would help, after all a body moving through the air causes far greater atomic activity than colliding electrons.

Be that as it may, Kas will fight from the air because he sucks at close combat and flying helps him maintain range.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:42 pm

I dunno, it kind of seemed out of character, to me at least-and I know I'm not Kas expert-for him not to hug Bulwark.

I think of Kas as someone who is trying to be responsible for other people and protect them. Bulwark made it very clear that the twins were helpless before him and that everybody could be nice, or Bulwark could bust skulls if Kas wanted to keep being mean and refused to give him a hug. Bulwark implicitly threatened the twins, not Kas himself.

People who have no way of defending themselves are threatened. Kas might be able to directly remove the threat by force, but he might not. That's a fine risk to take when its with your own life, but not so much with the Farouks.

He does however, have what could be a very easy alternative-suck up his pride and give Bulwark a hug for three seconds.

Course, maybe Kas just doens't care that much if the Farouks die.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Normally I would agree that it would be out of character but Kas' mindset has been deteriorating for some time to the point that I'm not surprised he was in no mood to deal with Bulwark's nonsense.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Kas cares if the Faouk's die...however, he also views Bulwark as insane. Look at Bulwark's reasoning; if you don't hug me, it means you want me to play the sadistic prison warden and torture the helpless.

That's ALOT of ground covered between those positions, which he skips over entirely. With that type of reasoning being his philosophical/ethical norm, it's obvious Bulwark lacks the basic ethical foundation of a reasonable person. Therefore, anything might provoke a similar reaction and you can't keep capitulating to the psychotic because their actions have no basis in rational behavior.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Shock wrote:For anyone who may miss it:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=220081

From the looks of it, the new forum is currently something of a cluster f%<&

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 pm

Yeah, it looks like a normal software rollout to me ;} I'd vote that we continue on here until things seem to have settled down before making the jump

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Up until Bulwark randomly attacked one of the downed prisoners there was no real indication that the injured parties were at any risk.

And then Bulwark went off the deepend and attack them for no reason.
After all, the only crime Kas committed was not hugging.

At this point you could conclude that it's not safe to leave anybody near Bulwark as he's capable of extreme violence for no reason.
Hell, it's entirely possible that Bulwark was going to try to kill Kas with that hug that he's incredibly insistent on. He claims to work for the King, but who's to say he wasn't offered a reward for taking out Kas.
Or just hopes killing Kas might get him some kind of reward.

And at the point that he attacked the downed people making yourself a target instead is a viable option to keep them safe, if only temporarily.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:30 pm

I think you rolled a crit, there H&H.
Shouldn't the DC be 23 instead of 18?

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Arkrite wrote:I think you rolled a crit, there H&H.
Shouldn't the DC be 23 instead of 18?

I'm really not sure how michuru will interpret it. Evertime they mentions critical hits in the rulebook, it's in reference to an attack that causes a Toughness Save. There is no Toughness Save involved here until Bulwark tries to break free, in which case it's the Snare's Toughness at issue.

I'd take the increased Reflex DC if he rules for it though.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:02 pm

To my surprise, HH seems to be right. (not surprised he's right, just surprised at the result). Even in the weapons section, weapons that don't do damage (Taser, stun gun, etc), the critical range is listed as "-" instead of "20".

That being said, I had always assumed that other powers besides damage were just as capable of scoring crits and I'm pretty sure that was assumed in every game I've played in.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Shock wrote:To my surprise, HH seems to be right. (not surprised he's right, just surprised at the result). Even in the weapons section, weapons that don't do damage (Taser, stun gun, etc), the critical range is listed as "-" instead of "20".

That being said, I had always assumed that other powers besides damage were just as capable of scoring crits and I'm pretty sure that was assumed in every game I've played in.

I was surprised too...a little. While I'm not a complete rules wonk, I do pride myself on having a functioning knowledge of most of the rules.

Completely unrelated: Vlad would've hugged Bulwark. It was the most pragmatic solution. 8)

Return to “M&M Game Room”