Project Freedom [IC] 23: Oddities

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Project Freedom [IC] 23: Oddities

Postby Shock » Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Robin / Songbird

Midas wrote:"I think I've done well, though. Offices in every city in Japan, major investments throughout Eurasia, and now we're entering the American market as well, with this project we're doing with ASTRO Labs. In the process, I came to realize that, ultimately, it wasn't about showing everyone that they were wrong about me. It was about showing just one person that they were wrong about me."

"Just one person huh? Well I've got plenty to choose from." Robin smiled crookedly. "I'm pretty sure I can do that."

Midas wrote:"Ah, one of those," she says, nodding sagely. "Often, those types are motivated by emotions they're uncomfortable expressing. Have you considered sleeping with him?"

Robin almost gagged on a bite of bread. "No. I mean... hell no. I'd rather swallow my own tongue." She fell silent for a minute. "I'm pretty sure that's not his problem. I stood up to him early on and he couldn't handle it. He thinks he's better than everyone else and gets pissy if anyone disagrees with him."

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Fri May 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Arkrite wrote:"I suppose for most it would be hard to relate to a person who's greatest problem is getting to the kid's soccer game when you've spent your last few days dodging deadly energy beams and saving the planet."

He frowns, "Then again, I'm almost envious of that level of mundane concern."

"I think you got it backwards. It's not that you can't relate to them, 'cause maybe, you can remember what it was like to be one of them." He coughs. "Or at least, like maybe 1% of the population that was as rich as you used to be. But none of 'em will ever be able to relate to you. None of 'em know what it's like to read someone's mind. None of 'em know what it's like to put an arrow in someone's eye just as he's about to shoot a kid in the head." Keller falls silent.

"Envious? Yeah. I can dig that," he says again.

Robin wrote:"Just one person huh? Well I've got plenty to choose from." Robin smiled crookedly. "I'm pretty sure I can do that."

"Ah, but it's not so easy," Midas says, holding up a finger. "That one person knows all the arguments you can muster, and will never really be impressed by anything you do. That one person ... is oneself."

"No. I mean... hell no. I'd rather swallow my own tongue." She fell silent for a minute. "I'm pretty sure that's not his problem. I stood up to him early on and he couldn't handle it. He thinks he's better than everyone else and gets pissy if anyone disagrees with him."

"Anyone, or you in particular? Does it seem like he does things for no real reason other than to be obstructive of you, to force confrontations with you? Does he show off quite a bit when he's around you? Refuse help when you offer it, because he can do it all by himself?" She waits, then shrugs. "Anyway, it was only an idea. But really, I enjoy sex with people who are much smarter than I am. They have the most fascinating quirks ... your other team-mate, Savant, is a particularly skilled lover, incidentally."
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
"Remember that if you ever get it into your head to hurt her."
-- from Josh & Imp

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Fri May 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Robin / Songbird

Midas wrote:"Anyone, or you in particular? Does it seem like he does things for no real reason other than to be obstructive of you, to force confrontations with you? Does he show off quite a bit when he's around you? Refuse help when you offer it, because he can do it all by himself?"

"Well, I don't know what he does when I'm not around. But he argues with the others too. Just.. not as much." Robin thought but it still seemed ridiculous to her.

Midas wrote:"Anyway, it was only an idea. But really, I enjoy sex with people who are much smarter than I am. They have the most fascinating quirks ... your other team-mate, Savant, is a particularly skilled lover, incidentally."

I'd enjoy sex with just about anyone at this point. Robin's mouth dropped open and she stared at the other girl for a few seconds. Then, she started to laugh. "Damn... you almost had me for a second there. You're messing with me aren't you?"

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Fri May 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Robin wrote:"Damn... you almost had me for a second there. You're messing with me aren't you?"

She blinks, not taking offense at your disbelief. "No. We became acquainted with each other while he was in Japan, a few years ago, and one thing led to another."

Midas starts to study the menu while you react to this.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
-- from Josh & Imp

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Fri May 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Robin / Songbird

Robin blinked. Twice. "I... you did? He did?" Something didn't add up. "I mean, when I first got to the Project, I thought he liked me. I practically threw myself at him and got nothing." She looked at her menu for half a minute. "Turned out he's just a weasel and ..."

Robin looked across the table. So THAT was how he got all that information on Endymion. That mother-%$#%#%! And Midas had no idea. But did she really need to know? She had enough trouble without knowing Savant had used her like that. And it was a few years ago so what would finding out do but make her more miserable. Robin couldn't make it right but she could at least return what Savant had taken.

"and... nevermind. It was a misunderstanding." She paused for another few seconds. "He's really that good?"

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Project Freedom [IC] 21: Order in the Court

Postby Arkrite » Fri May 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Fredrick Astrovik Zane: Dr Sane
HP: 1 LP: 1 CND: Normal

"Ah," Zane nods as Keller clarifies his meaning.

He didn't think that it was that hard to understand reading somebody else's mind, but so far nobody could quite understand how annoying it was to not read somebody's mind when you were used to doing juts that. As it was the static background noise of people's thoughts were the only thing keeping him from having a panic attack on most days, and he had to dull that down as much as he could because some people were touchy about the fact that he was born gifted, and they weren't.

He'd never heard a one armed man demand that a two armed man use only one arm.

Of course the "normal" people didn't see it quite that way.

"The strange part is that I'm sure there are many who envy us, and would give anything to be in our shoes," He sighs, "I'm not sure if that fits into the category of 'the grass is always greener' or 'ignorance is bliss'."

It was a preposterous concept. If ignorance was bliss Robin would be a much happier girl.

And you'd be insufferably jolly.

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Sat May 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Charlie: Trouble listens to your words attentatively, but before she can ask you anything, the lights dim for the start of the next act.

The curtain opens to reveal a decidedly different room from the first act. It is sterile, spotless and shining. No laundry bags around, no newspapers on the floor or old magazines, no dirty dishes. The women from the first act have once again gathered to play cards, but there's a distinct air of tension that wasn't present before. This becomes particularly apparent when Florence comes in from the kitchen bringing drinks, snacks and napkins, and politely reminding people to use their coasters ("I thought they were big chocolate mints," says Vera). Her finicky ways are getting on nearly everyone's nerves, and the game breaks up, leaving Florence and Olive alone together.

Olive is irritated, and Florence is morose and guilty about irritating Olive. But that just irritates Olive even more -- "Don't pout. If you want to fight, we'll fight. But don't pout. Fighting I win, pouting you win." Florence finally gets so upset with herself that she almost throws a cup against the wall, but stops herself. Olive proceeds to egg her on to do it anyway ... and Florence hurts her arm doing so.

Perhaps in an effort to ease things a bit, Olive proposes that what they need is male companionship. Florence claims she hasn't thought about that in weeks, she's just separated after all, and doesn't know who she'd even call. Olive mentions the two Spanish brothers who live in the building, Manolo and Hay-zoos. Florence finds that name odd, and the fact that you're apparently not supposed to pronounce the J even odder. She's also nervous about the possibility of the news of her dating getting back to Sidney, her children, or her mother-in-law, who lives in Florida. ("This could be the one night she comes to town!")

Olive finally pressures her into agreeing to the date, but only on the condition that they stay in and eat in the apartment, a dinner that she'll cook herself. She finally asks for the spelling of Hay-zoos' name, and is shocked by the discovery. "I'll make something simple. Fish and loaves or something."

The curtain falls, beginning a fifteen minute intermission. As the lights come up, Trouble turns to you and asks, "What are queer rights?"

Robin wrote:"I... you did? He did?" Something didn't add up. "I mean, when I first got to the Project, I thought he liked me. I practically threw myself at him and got nothing." She looked at her menu for half a minute. "Turned out he's just a weasel and ..."

"He probably just had something else on his mind at the time, then. Either that, or prison has changed him more than I realized ..."

"and... nevermind. It was a misunderstanding." She paused for another few seconds. "He's really that good?"

"Very. Has a bit of a mania about doing it in complete darkness, and predictable mommy issues, but yes, quite skilled. Are you ready to order?" says the woman who may well have ruined your appetite forever.
-- from Josh & Imp

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sat May 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Charlie: Strong Girl
HP: 1 Condition: Explaining something very complicated

Charlie had both hands on her right calf as it was propped up on her left knee and let out a breath as she thought about that. She didn’t talk about her sexuality much, she didn’t hide it but she didn’t really make a point to be very vocal about it either. “Ah… well… Queer rights are the same as human rights, even though a lot of people would tell you different.” Charlie bit her lip and looked Trouble in the eye, “Most people don’t know that here in the states a gay man isn’t allowed to donate blood, ever. That might be a little thing to most people but it’s the little things that make you a second class citizen.”

She smiled and shrugged, “When people talk about queer rights, it’s usually the rights that we don’t have, and the best way to go about convincing people that we deserve them. I prefer the friendly approach.” She shrugged again. “Of course I’m also a convicted felon, so I can’t even vote.” She laughed a little, “By law I am a second class citizen.”
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Sat May 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Robin / Songbird

Midas wrote:"Very. Has a bit of a mania about doing it in complete darkness, and predictable mommy issues, but yes, quite skilled. Are you ready to order?"

"Yes." Robin replied a little too quickly. Anything to talk about something else.

"Anything with fish is very good." She fell quiet for a bit while she looked over the menu for something to get her attention.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sat May 28, 2011 6:23 pm

"What's Mona's prognosis?" Zane askes finally, "I can't help but notice she's still in that wheelchair, but she has yet to have made an inquiry so I'm assuming she'll be making a recovery."

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Sat May 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Robin wrote:"Anything with fish is very good." She fell quiet for a bit while she looked over the menu for something to get her attention.

"Might I recommend our Dijon garlic salmon?" inquires the waiter who has apparently been standing in your blind spot for some time now.

"That sounds delicious. But I believe I'll have the chicken franchese," Midas requests. "With a side of rice, please?"

Charlie wrote:“Ah… well… Queer rights are the same as human rights, even though a lot of people would tell you different.” Charlie bit her lip and looked Trouble in the eye, “Most people don’t know that here in the states a gay man isn’t allowed to donate blood, ever. That might be a little thing to most people but it’s the little things that make you a second class citizen.”

She smiled and shrugged, “When people talk about queer rights, it’s usually the rights that we don’t have, and the best way to go about convincing people that we deserve them. I prefer the friendly approach.” She shrugged again. “Of course I’m also a convicted felon, so I can’t even vote.” She laughed a little, “By law I am a second class citizen.”

Most of the people in the audience are getting up heading out to the lobby to visit the bar.

"Oh," Trouble says. Then, after a moment, she asks, "But what are human rights? I ... think I understand the words, but I'm not really very sure ... where I grew up, I don't think I had them." This is stated simply and without any attempt at pathos.

Zane wrote:"What's Mona's prognosis?" Zane askes finally, "I can't help but notice she's still in that wheelchair, but she has yet to have made an inquiry so I'm assuming she'll be making a recovery."

"She don't talk about it, but ... with therapy, she's 'sposed to be out of that thing in a month or so, but I ain't so sure that she's going to her sessions. Normally, the boss'd be all over her about that, but she's kinda been distracted by you guys," he says, not at all pointedly.

Donnie:

A little before noon, your communicator beeps. "Excuse me, Donnie, but there's a young lady here who's come to visit you," says Mona's voice.
-- from Josh & Imp

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Sun May 29, 2011 9:57 am

Robin / Songbird

"That sounds fine. Thank you." Robin didn't look up at the waiter.

"So how long are you in Freedom City?"

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 am

It was good to know Mona would be making a recovery. He didn't really have the time to create something to fix a damaged spinal collumn, and most of his ideas would have required a lot of extra time spent monitoring the solution for unforseen complications.

"It's good to hear she will recovery on her own. As for the director," Zane shakes his head, "I'm worried about the director. She hasn't been herself recently, and now she seems to growing increasingly more tired as time progressess. That usually a very bad sign."

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Mon May 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Robin wrote:"So how long are you in Freedom City?"

"Just a couple of days, I'm afraid. Long enough to supervise the opening of our new offices here, check in with our people at ASTRO, and meet with some politicians and lobbyists who are definitely, definitely not looking for a handout," Midas says with deep sarcasm and a roll of her eyes as she hands her menu to the waiter who heads off. "The campaign managers of both sides in your forthcoming mayoral elections are courting our donations. Who are you favoring, out of curiousity?"

Zane wrote:"It's good to hear she will recovery on her own. As for the director," Zane shakes his head, "I'm worried about the director. She hasn't been herself recently, and now she seems to growing increasingly more tired as time progressess. That usually a very bad sign."

Keller briefly wonders how Zane got 'will recover on her own' from what he said, but to Zane's next words, he only shrugs. "She's pushing sixty, you know. And she's had a lot of stress lately. It's probably just overwork. My ma didn't look as buff as she does when she was in her thirties ..."
-- from Josh & Imp

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Mon May 30, 2011 3:33 pm

"I hope that stress is all it is," Zane sighs, obviously not completely convinced, "She's an older woman, yes, but she's had quite a sudden shift over the last few weeks."

"I had suggested to her that a vacation might be in order, but I doubt she'd consider it while she's saddled with that oppertunistic politician. Ah, sorry, I suppose that was a rather redundant description of him, wasn't it?"

Return to “M&M Game Room”