Project Freedom [IC] 23: Oddities

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Project Freedom [IC] 23: Oddities

Postby Shock » Fri May 13, 2011 6:10 pm

Robin / Songbird

Robin reached across the table and took Midas' hand. "It's not your fault." What could she say? It's possible that what Midas said was true. If the other Angels had been under control, it could have been them going through to fight Omega. Then what would have happened? Surely they would have attacked Omega just as Project Freedom had.

"But maybe it's not such a bad thing. If you went through the gate, sure you could have had a chance for revenge on Omega. But would your Angels have just let it go when he retreated? When he send a couple hundred thousand drones after us, would they have stayed to fight them? You said they were immature and angry. What if going through that portal got them all killed?"

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby Jalinth » Sat May 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Zalman
Davies wrote:It takes you only a few moments of scrying to determine that both Zane and Keller are exactly as they appear to be. No illusion, no evidence of any mind control.

<<::Zane:: I sense nothing is amiss with Keller. He seems to be just as I have come to know him.>>
Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
-A.E. Housman

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Project Freedom [IC] 21: Order in the Court

Postby Arkrite » Sat May 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Fredrick Astrovik Zane: Dr Sane
HP: 1 LP: 1 CND: Normal

<<::Zalman:: I see. Thank you for your help. Much appreceated.>>

Zane looks at the front of the van. There was a lot of ways to figure this out. He was always a fan of the direct method, "If I may ask, why the sudden interest in my work?"

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Sat May 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Robin wrote:"But maybe it's not such a bad thing. If you went through the gate, sure you could have had a chance for revenge on Omega. But would your Angels have just let it go when he retreated? When he send a couple hundred thousand drones after us, would they have stayed to fight them? You said they were immature and angry. What if going through that portal got them all killed?"

Midas looks miserable. "Yes, that's true. All of it. But they won't see it that way, and despite myself, I can't really see it that way either. She chose a slender reed to balance all her hopes on, did Endymion, and sometimes ..." She shakes her head, leans back.

"So has he struck back at you yet? Every year, it seems, we have at least some of his Annihilists show up to either try to prove themselves against us or avenge the insults we gave them when we marched on his capitol." She sounds tired.

Zane wrote: "If I may ask, why the sudden interest in my work?"

Keller lets out a disgusted sigh. "I'm just trying to make conversation. My therapist suggested that I start showing a little more interest in what people around me are doing," he replies, articulating each word. "Sorry I asked."
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
"Remember that if you ever get it into your head to hurt her."
-- from Josh & Imp

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Sat May 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Robin / Songbird

Midas wrote:"Yes, that's true. All of it. But they won't see it that way, and despite myself, I can't really see it that way either. She chose a slender reed to balance all her hopes on, did Endymion, and sometimes ..."

"She chose you for a reason." This girl seemed a long way removed from the strong leader she had appeared to be at Camp Turtledove. "You can do it. Leadership is hard. I know that now. Hell, on my first day, one of my team killed a civilian that turned out to be a robot and then escaped. And another refused orders and then went ahead and did what I asked anyway but behind my back." Robin shrugged. "But she knew you can do it. I do too."

Midas wrote:"So has he struck back at you yet? Every year, it seems, we have at least some of his Annihilists show up to either try to prove themselves against us or avenge the insults we gave them when we marched on his capitol."

"Struck back?" Robin's mouth dropped open. "He can do that?"

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Sat May 21, 2011 10:42 pm

"I'm not attempting to be insulting, Mister Keller, I was honestly surprised. To be quite fair you've never said more than four words to me before, and I've always gotten the feeling you didn't like... well, me," Zane shrugs, "That being said I usually find psychologists to be rather out to lunch. It hardly makes sense to force yourself to have conversations with people if you don't want to. More likely to instill that 'why bother?' sentimentality than to solve anything."

"Personally, I'd suggest starting with Donnie or Charlie. You strike me as having more in common with Donnie, he's a down to earth fellow, and Charlie likes you. James is an odd duck, with his displacement and utterly unflappable nature, but he's a good man. Deiter is okay, I guess, if you don't mind his Eeyore like personality."

He pauses, "Rachel's actually quite pleasent to talk with, though I'll admit it's a fair challenge to gain her trust enough to get past her scarey smile defense."

"Though obviously somebody has. She's spending her day off with an elderly supervillain by the sounds of it," He chuckles, "Sometimes it amazes me how integrated she's become with the superhero society. It makes sense, considering her father and what she does now, but I'd never so much as seen a super powered individual until..."

Zane trails off with a sigh.

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Sun May 22, 2011 9:11 am

Charlie:

Soon after you go in and sit down, the curtain rises, reveaing the combination living room-dining room of a New York City apartment, quite an unkempt one. Books are a mess in the bookshelves. Magazines and old newspapers litter the floors and tables. Unopened mail and unopened laundry packages lie about. Around the table on the left side of the stage, just in front of a pair of doors, is a table, around which four women, Sylvie, Mickey, Renee and Vera, are gathered playing a card game and exchanging wry comments about their lives.

Eventually, the owner of apartment, one Olive Madison, comes in from one of the doors, bringing in some unappetizing sounding food. ("I got brown sandwiches and green sandwiches," she claims. When Mickey hesitantly asks what the green is, she replies, "It's either very new cheese or very old meat.") Olive, it becomes clear, is a complete slob. Also, she has a difficult relationship with her ex-husband Phil, whom she keeps sending money despite the fact that he lost their entire life's savings at the track.

In fact, Phil calls during the card game, and talks her into sending him some more money. ("He sounded like Little Orphan Annie during a snow storm, what do you want from me?") She doesn't like this part of her life; she really wants to move on, maybe start dating one of the two cute Spanish brothers who just moved into her building. This brings up memories of the women's respective youths, and they all fall silent for a moment in reflection.

Then the phone rings again. This time it's Mickey's husband, who's called to pass on some disturbing news. Their friend Florence has apparently not been seen by anyone all day. This gives everyone concern, though Olive tries to brush it off. That doesn't stop her from calling Florence's husband, Sidney, to find out the whole story ... which startles her. "They broke up. The marriage is over."

Now everyone is really concerned. Florence has a very sensitive disposition, and actually told Sidney that she was going to go out and kill herself. "She didn't want to do it at home because her mother was sleeping over." However, Olive thinks that Florence is really trying to get someone to save her, and her thoughts seem to be confirmed when the doorbell rings. On the assumption that it's Florence, and that, "If we're calm, she'll be calm," Olive has their friends resume the game and pretend they don't know about the situation.

Florence Unger then enters. She's a complete opposite to Olive, very neat, but very morose at the moment. She doesn't join in the card game, instead wandering about the room in depression, looking out the window and wondering how high up they are, going into the bathroom to cry, and finally deciding to go out for a walk beside the river. This finally panics her friends, and she realizes that they know, and begins sobbing and proclaiming that there is no point in going on before rushing back into the bathroom, followed by everyone. There is a loud commotion inside, unseen by the audience.

Eventually, Florence is brought out, unconscious, but comes around to admit that she took a whole bottle full of pills. Everyone panics at this, but then she mentions that she threw up in the elevator. "I'm sorry. They'll think a dog did it." Wearied with the drama, most of the women decide to go home and leave Olive to deal with Florence alone.

Florence admits that it was a lousy marriage, but doesn't want to be divorced. She'll be the first one in her family to be divorced ... at least since her parents. Her anger brings on a nerve spasm, and she gives Olive very specific instructions on how to help her get over it. As Olive goes to do so, Florence paces and moans. Every night she would pray to God to help her save her marriage ... and overhear Sidney praying to God to tell her to be quiet.

Florence knows that she's not easy to get along with, and that she probably drives Olive crazy too. Eventually, she's reduced to simply asking what she ought to do, and Olive tells her that they're going to figure out a new life for her; Florence is dubious about the prospect of a life without Sidney. "I don't live with Sidney and I'm very happy," Olive points out. Eventually, Florence comes around to this point of view, saying that she can be independent, that she used to be a great book-keeper before she married Sidney. She'll ask for her old job back!

Unfortunately, her old employer was Sidney. "God the mistakes I've made. Goddamn idiot!! I hate me," Florence mourns. Olive wearily tells her that not only is that not true, Florence loves herself, and Olive loves her almost as much as Florence does. But she realizes that she can't help Florence that much, because she can't help herself. In her own way, she's as hard to live with as Florence.

This leads to the momentous decision on Olive's part to invite Florence to move in with her. She knows that Florence is a pest. But she's lonely. Florence rediscovers a bit of her enthusiasm, thinking that she can make Olive's life better by cleaning and cooking like she used to do for Sidney.

At that point, the phone rings, it's Sidney calling. He has a conversation with Olive, with Florence standing on the sidelines and shouting quite a bit. "He said that he loves you very much and that you're a wonderful mother and wife," Olive explains when the call is over. "But as a woman you're crazy as a bedbug." This hardens Florence's determination to make a new life, and she starts making plans, as Olive looks on nervously.

The curtains close on the first act, beginning a short, five minute intermission.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
-- from Josh & Imp

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sun May 22, 2011 10:39 am

Charlie: Strong Girl
HP: 1 Condition: Good

The curtains close on the first act, beginning a short, five minute intermission.

As the lights came back up Charlie stood up out of her back row seat, a deliberate choice once she saw how small the theater was so that she didn’t block anyone else’s view of the stage, and stretched her legs. She looked down to Trouble and smiled, “That was pretty good. Not really what I was expecting but still pretty funny.” She sat back down and flipped through the playbill.

“I think this is the first play that I’ve seen that’s a comedy. Even though it’s kind of sad, it’s still funny but just in a sad way. Neither one of thems happy.”
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am

Robin wrote:"She chose you for a reason." This girl seemed a long way removed from the strong leader she had appeared to be at Camp Turtledove. "You can do it. Leadership is hard. I know that now. Hell, on my first day, one of my team killed a civilian that turned out to be a robot and then escaped. And another refused orders and then went ahead and did what I asked anyway but behind my back." Robin shrugged. "But she knew you can do it. I do too."

"You're right, of course. I'm just letting momentary unhappiness get in the way," she admits. "And of course, the fact that Mentor, at least, is going to know all of this, doesn't help ..."

"Struck back?" Robin's mouth dropped open. "He can do that?"

"I imagine so," Midas replies, seeming a bit perplexed by your shock. "His servants include a few who are more than able to slip through the guards on the portal under Tokyo Tower, and at least one who was able to break through an entire unit of the best traned and equipped men the JSDF had to offer. Those poor men," she murmurs, distracted for a moment. "I presume that he'd be able to send them through the portals here in Freedom City, too. And he has a few genuinely mad followers in this dimension."

Zane wrote:"I'm not attempting to be insulting, Mister Keller, I was honestly surprised. To be quite fair you've never said more than four words to me before, and I've always gotten the feeling you didn't like... well, me,"

"I don't," he answers bluntly. "But a fair number of people that I do like seem to think you're all right. I'm tryin' to understand what they see in you, maybe."

"Though obviously somebody has. She's spending her day off with an elderly supervillain by the sounds of it," He chuckles, "Sometimes it amazes me how integrated she's become with the superhero society. It makes sense, considering her father and what she does now, but I'd never so much as seen a super powered individual until..."

"Yeah, the Beekeeper. He helped out a bit when the Dark Angel was runnin' around. And ... well, face it. Once you put on that suit, don't matter if it's got a mask or not, you stepped outside the lines. No matter how much you might want it, you're never getting back in again. So the only people you can talk with are the ones in the game."

Charlie wrote:“I think this is the first play that I’ve seen that’s a comedy. Even though it’s kind of sad, it’s still funny but just in a sad way. Neither one of thems happy.”

"It's funny?" Trouble asks, frowning just a bit. She didn't laugh much. "Some of the things they say are funny, but ... some of my friends are like this. They only express affection by insult. Is it really ... funny? I am not good at these things."
-- from Josh & Imp

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed May 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Robin / Songbird

Midas wrote:"You're right, of course. I'm just letting momentary unhappiness get in the way," she admits. "And of course, the fact that Mentor, at least, is going to know all of this, doesn't help ..."

Robin frowned. Out of the Angels that she had met, Mentor was the one she liked least, by far. And Proteus. But she wasn't really a problem anymore. "Why does Mentor have to know about it? She doesn't read your mind does she?"

Midas wrote:"I imagine so," Midas replies, seeming a bit perplexed by your shock. "His servants include a few who are more than able to slip through the guards on the portal under Tokyo Tower, and at least one who was able to break through an entire unit of the best traned and equipped men the JSDF had to offer. Those poor men," she murmurs, distracted for a moment. "I presume that he'd be able to send them through the portals here in Freedom City, too. And he has a few genuinely mad followers in this dimension."

"Though the portal?" Robin didn't like the sound of that at all. She hadn't considered that something might be able to come through Wainwright's portal. She thought Omega was locked out. Apparently that wasn't completely true. She wondered if Wainwright knew that. And if the mechanism she had over it was enough. "I'm going to have to warn everyone."

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Wed May 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Robin wrote:"Why does Mentor have to know about it? She doesn't read your mind does she?"

"Not that she'll admit to," Midas replies. "But even if she doesn't have me bugged, in some way, which she almost certainly does, she will definitely have tapped into the surveillance system in this place to monitor this meeting. And she can read lips. She takes my security a bit too seriously, I think ...

"I know what you're thinking, and you're right. I need to exercise more control over them. But it's not so easy. Not all of them recognize me as their proper leader, and even those who do are prone to acting as they believe I ought to order them, rather than waiting for my instructions. So you and I are very much alike in this respect," she concludes. "Except of course that I can disarm them, as you can't, but I'm reluctant to do so without a better reason than for my own convenience."

"I'm going to have to warn everyone."

"A good idea, considering that one of your teammates has apparently been studying the ones here," she muses. "That Zane fellow. He interests me."
-- from Josh & Imp

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Wed May 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Charlie: Strong Girl
HP: 1 Condition: Good

Trouble wrote:"Some of the things they say are funny, but ... some of my friends are like this. They only express affection by insult. Is it really ... funny? I am not good at these things."

Charlie bit her lip and dropped back down into her seat. Looking over at Trouble she nodded and answered, “It’s real enough. That’s how some friends let each other know that they’re comfortable enough to actually open up to one another. It’s not something that I do, most of the time unless I’m playing along.” She shrugged, “When people talk they’re not always talking about anything, small talk is way more important than people think. You can build a pretty solid friendship with just small talk and word games.”

She leaned back and crossed her legs, right ankle on her left knee, and let out a sigh. “Over the years I think that I’ve made more friends talking about football and good restaurants then I’ve made talking about queer rights.” She paused, “That’s not what we were talking about though was it? It’s funny because it’s something that we can all mostly relate with, see a little bit of ourselves and our friends in it. We look up there and see a group of friends having light conversation. They’re insulting each other to show the audience that they, as a group, are familiar enough with each other to be able to talk like that without starting a brawl.”

She shrugged again, “But some of us enjoy a brawl.”
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed May 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Robin / Songbird

Midas wrote:"So you and I are very much alike in this respect," she concludes. "Except of course that I can disarm them, as you can't, but I'm reluctant to do so without a better reason than for my own convenience."

Robin shook her head and sighed. "Tell me about it. I doubt I'm anyone's first choice for leader. The only reason I am is because Wainwright needed someone without a record. At least Endymion thought you'd be a good leader. Nobody thinks that about me. All I can do is try to show them they're wrong."

Midas wrote:"A good idea, considering that one of your teammates has apparently been studying the ones here," she muses. "That Zane fellow. He interests me."

Robin snorted. "Only because you don't know him. He's like my Herald Mentor. He'll stab you in the back right to your face, if you know what I mean. He's been an jerk to me since I joined the Project."

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed May 25, 2011 10:35 pm

"I'll have to concede this one to you, as I have little in the way of experience in that area. As you undoubtedly noted I don't exactly make many friends, and thus I have no way of testing your hypothesis," He pauses as he considers Keller's words, "It seems to be a quite sound theory. I don't believe any of the people I used to work with before my incarceration could hope to keep up with me now."

"Events have forced me to develop talents I'd be happy enough to ignore, and now I suspect that the only people who could hope to keep up are what most people would call super heroes or super villains."

He rubs his beard, "I suppose for most it would be hard to relate to a person who's greatest problem is getting to the kid's soccer game when you've spent your last few days dodging deadly energy beams and saving the planet."

He frowns, "Then again, I'm almost envious of that level of mundane concern."

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Thu May 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Robin wrote:"Tell me about it. I doubt I'm anyone's first choice for leader. The only reason I am is because Wainwright needed someone without a record. At least Endymion thought you'd be a good leader. Nobody thinks that about me. All I can do is try to show them they're wrong."

Midas smiles a little, for the first time since you dropped the bombshell. "As it happens, I know a little about that, too. Before my brother decided to pursue ... other interests, I was no one's first choice to head up the Kinawa Zaibatsu, either. To this day, I still have people telling me that it's an unsuitable job for a woman, and that I should settle down, marry some nice man they've happened to pick out for me and let him take over while I pump out Kinawa babies." Her tone is very dry on that last part.

"I think I've done well, though. Offices in every city in Japan, major investments throughout Eurasia, and now we're entering the American market as well, with this project we're doing with ASTRO Labs. In the process, I came to realize that, ultimately, it wasn't about showing everyone that they were wrong about me. It was about showing just one person that they were wrong about me."

"Only because you don't know him. He's like my Herald Mentor. He'll stab you in the back right to your face, if you know what I mean. He's been an jerk to me since I joined the Project."

"Ah, one of those," she says, nodding sagely. "Often, those types are motivated by emotions they're uncomfortable expressing. Have you considered sleeping with him?"
-- from Josh & Imp

Return to “M&M Game Room”