Project Freedom [IC] 23: Oddities

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Project Freedom [IC] 23: Oddities

Postby Davies » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:05 am

Date: A few short weeks after the Time of Vengeance.
Time: Early Morning
Place: Freedom City. Where else?

The heavily armored transport trundles through the streets of Freedom, and most of the other drivers out on the streets at this hour give it a wide berth. In Freedom City, you learn to recognize certain things even if there's nothing that explicitly indicates what they are -- and the drivers recognize that the transport is, well, transporting super-villains.

That's you guys, in case you hadn't guessed.

Inside, you are all seated in the vehicle's passenger compartment. You are all wearing orange prison fatigues and power suppressing gear. In most cases, this takes the form of handcuffs that completely englobe your hands, though Mike's also covers his mouth and prevents any speech.

Not that it matters. You are seated far enough away from each other that none of you can speak to each other without raising your voice. And the very alert AEGIS agent in heavy armor seated at the head of the "bus", who is watching all of you like a hawk, made it clear at the boarding that there was to be no talking.

Effectively, you are all alone with your thoughts. Each of you has been granted early release from your incarceration, with the stipulation that you serve out your probation as a member of Project Freedom. What ambitions you might have for this opportunity are known only to you. Do you want the chance at redemption that's being offered, or is this just one more scam?

What is going through your mind as you are taken towards this uncertain future?
Last edited by Davies on Wed May 04, 2011 1:25 am, edited 24 times in total.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
"Remember that if you ever get it into your head to hurt her."
-- from Josh & Imp

StickMan
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby StickMan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:55 am

Raymond Crey

Raymond Crey left all alone with his thoughts, his thoughts that moved now at lightning speed. Sure the whole get up was supposed to suppress his powers but it did not seem to suppress his increased though rate much.

At the moment he was a good mix of annoyed and uncomfortable. He was in full lock down with these cuffs. He did not even have super powers when he committed his crime. Then he is going to get a max sentence for his first criminal charge as an adult, unless he agreed to take part of this program. It was blackmail is what it was. They stuck me in a program with actual super criminals that's a good idea. Take a guy like me off the street and put him in with people who are actually guilty of real crimes. Heck I did not even know that warehouse had been bought up. Sure I did paint that one cop car, but they don't know about that. God this sucks, and what is with this AEGIS prick he needs to lighten up a little. OK well I guess if I was the only guy in the room with out superpowers with these freaks I'd be a little up tight too. OK this officially sucks...

I'm just saying I'm not a bad guy. Heck I'm an artist, I have positive cultural value. I use to even fight off the gangs in my neighborhood, that is practically community service. I'm so going to Europe after this crap is over... heck I can run there apparently or just jump... Ray suddenly recalled when he found out that his power set included a super jump. He was just trying skip a step and the next thing he knew he was flying threw the air. That was embarrassing... the screaming was likely not going to help his street cred any, but how was he supposed to know he could safely land. But on the plus side it did convince the cops it was not an escape attempt.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Charlie Graham

I’m never wearing orange again. Charlie promised herself for about the millionth time since she was issued her first jumpsuit. She was getting used to the depowering effects that the cuffs have on her, it was strange the first few times that they shackled her, she was used to feeling the raw power of her strength flowing through her but when she was shackled she felt weak as a kitten. She knows she’s still stronger than most normal men without powers, her fitness regimen almost guaranteed that but she still feels weak and vulnerable.

These shackles are coming off and I’ll be free to throw my weight around like I used too, I bet I’m even stronger now I can probably toss a bus. Charlie fought back her smile at the thought, she couldn’t wait to be free she was genuinely committed to the program as long as it allowed her to play rough.

Miner Cotren
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Miner Cotren » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Doctor Nicholas Skinner

A man sits on a bench in an armored vehicle. His emerald gaze is fixed downward as he sits, motionless. The hint of a once well-kempt young man is barely visible beneath stubble, a dirty brown mane, and dark circles. His body is still, but his mind is active as ever...

For yet another time, Skinner felt the familiar pang of regret. Not for leaving Dr. White on the floor, bleeding - the old fool, he smiled to himself - but for losing his temper. Though his calm facade around the hospital convinced everyone he was always graceful under fire, the truth was the incompetence of many of his co-workers often angered him. He never allowed himself to show these feelings at work; he saved it all for the punching bag in his basement.

But when White came in to his office, wearing a smug smile, showing him the proof that Skinner had been using unauthorized metahuman healing powers on his patients. As if it mattered. Most people in those types of situations say everything happens so fast, but Skinner had enjoyed the look on White's face as long as he could...

Skinner shook his head to clear his mind from going down that track again. The squeaky suspension on the transport began to grate on his nerves. What a mess. Lost my license, incarcerated for a ludicrous charge, now hired by governmental hooligans to do anything their twisted whims desire.

As his mind wandered, he took stock of his surroundings. Even though the others weren't very close, what Skinner saw did not impress him. Harvard-trained surgeon, forced to mingle with the bottom of the barrel. Such injustice. Nonethless, the sooner I'm out from beneath the law's thumb, the sooner I can get my life back together.
Last edited by Miner Cotren on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby Jalinth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Zalman

Zalman sat in his seat, eyes closed. He was calm, almost meditating. This time of powerlessness and incarceration was temporary. Another step on the path, and every step must be taken. Of this he was certain.

It was of where that path lead, and the manner in which it should be walked, that Zalman was no longer sure. For most of his life the only thing that mattered was power, mystical or otherwise. It was both a means and an end. Everything else was distraction.

He no longer felt that way. After watching Seven and others, Zalman was coming to believe that power was simply a means to an end. Not only that, both the type of power and the ends toward which it was used mattered.

What remained to be seen was what means and ends would prove most satisfactory. Seven's example was intriguing, and as she had shown him this path, it seemed only right to test her interpretation of it first.

It would not be easy, for it involved forsaking habits and methods that had served him time and time again. Nothing worthwhile was ever easy though. Every step had to be a struggle, or it was no true step.

If, in the end, it proved to be wanting, then it would be easy enough to resume his previous methods. After all, his necromantic abilities were still strong and there were still a number of interesting tools that he had left well hidden.
Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
-A.E. Housman

Leodiensian
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Leodiensian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Vox

Mike was sure this had to be a mistake. All this fancy, high grade stuff for a fraud conviction? A little.. draconian, wasn't it? Were they taking him to the gallows? He tried to shift his head a little to get comfortable, but the head restraint they'd fitted on him to keep him from running his mouth really limited the motion of his neck. All very uncomfortable, in other words. There was a no talking rule on the bus, but was there really any point in having a rule like that if you were going to gag the passengers anyway? And besides, they were going to be good. That was the deal, right? This all struck him as a bit unnecessary.

He would have looked out of the windows, except he wasn't sat near one. Normally when he was in a bus, he just watched the world go by and let his mind switch off for a little while, looking at roads and hedges. But his usual go-with-the-flow calm wasn't able to take root, not with what was on his mind at the moment. He'd been paraded in front of the Warden, given something to sign and told that know he was a superhero now. Well, sort of a superhero. There were terms, conditions, loop holes and small print attached to it, but the long and short of it was that he could get out of prison early. And that was a chance he was jumping at like a lifeline. Ten years in the slammer? A slim and pretty guy like him? Hell no. He couldn't keep a grip on the soap that long. He'd signed up straight away.

His instincts were a little squiffy about the whole deal, but it was better than the alternative. Maybe it was a little bit of a con, or at least a rip-off, but honestly he didn't care. If it got him out from behind bars, it got his vote. A con artist knows what a con looks like, smells like. It always just fits together that little bit too well. This deal had a bit more red tape attached to it than most cons, which ran simple as possible with only a veneer of complexity added for authenticity. Parts of it seemed legit, others he was less sure about. He'd not read up on much criminal law lately. He idly pondered the other people on the bus, stretching his head around to look at as many of them as he could. Had they been all made the same offer? Had they all accepted?

He shuffled his hands in his cuffs. These were good cuffs. Encompassed the whole hand, not just the wrists. Could only be unlocked from the outside. Even if he'd a dozen bobby pins with him, there was no way Mike could pick these. Not while he was in them, at least. But if he could get them off, the restraint about his neck and head would be easy pickings - hopefully. Of course, when he noticed the eyes of a certain AEGIS agent on him, his fidgetting stopped plain cold. He tried to act natural, think of something else, in case Mr Truncheon got a little suspicious.

Huh. A superhero, am I? Wonder what I should call myself. Not like I've any shortage of names. All known aliases now, of course, I'll have to set up some new ones when this is all over. Damn, that's a waste. I liked being Greg Simmons. He was a nice guy. Nice earner too. But a superhero? Okay, that's new. 'Mike Selvon: Superhero'. Eh, not really something that rolls off the tounge. Maybe a code name, like those guys up in the Freedom League. How do those work again? I guess it should be related to my powers. Echo? No, that's too girly. Shout? Nah, people will think I'm gay. Klarion? Mm. Potential. File it under 'maybe'. Sonic? Taken. Vox. Vox? Could work. Vox: Bastion of Justice? Hah. First time for everything, I suppose...

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Eventually, the transport begins to slow down, coming to a brief halt before it begins to back up, turning as it does. The faint light that gets through the polarized windows of the passenger compartment dims, as though it is entering a tunnel. The vehicle comes to a shuddering stop, and there's a bumping sound from the rear.

The agent at the head of the vehicle stands up, holding a clipboard that he's produced from behind his seat. "All right, this is how it works," he announces. "When I call out a name, that person will stand up, move to the back of the compartment and through the door that's going to open up. After passing the final evaluation procedure, you will be transferred to the custody of the Freedom City Department of Probations, and specifically to Project Freedom."

The agent doesn't pause to answer any questions you might have, and simply starts reciting names. (Names only. No titles to which you might feel entitled.)

When you pass through the door at the back of the transport -- your only real option at this particular time -- which slides open just long enough to let one of you pass through at a time, you find yourself inside a loading dock of some sort. The transport almost completely fills the area, leaving only a small amount of space between its sides and a door that leads out into the outside world. You are standing on a ledge in front of an unmarked door. (A quick check will confirm that it is locked.)

After the last of you exits the vehicle, and the vehicle door has closed behind you, the agent steps into view through the door's window. He holds up a remote control, and presses a button. Immediately, the locking mechanisms on your power nullifiers open. You can now remove them easily.

The agent continues to watch you through the window as the transport begins to pull out of the loading area. The dock's reinforced door, sealing it off from the outside world, begins to slowly slide shut.
"You are a crazy, manipulative sociopath with no regard for the feelings of others."
-- from Josh & Imp

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby Jalinth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Zalman

Assuming our powers come back to full with the removal.

Zalman gently removes the power nullifiers, holding them before him. He smiles as he feels the power flow back into him. Those around him notice a brief flare of sickly green light, looking like a maze of glowing tattoos over his skin. It vanishes after a fleeting moment, leaving a normal looking person standing in place once again.

He turns to face the others, saying "Greetings."
Last edited by Jalinth on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-A.E. Housman

StickMan
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby StickMan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Raymond Crey

"Right this is great, I do love being in locked in small room oh so much." With super villains to boot "I'm just going to sit over here and be quite until someone comes for us." Ray sits down taking of his power nullifiers. He assumes a meditative posture, thought really he is not sure why. While he closes his eyes and breathes deeply he uses his electrical awareness to monitor the actions of the others just in case. Being able to sense the electrical flow threw the bodies of others was very useful as Raymond saw it and quite practical when your in a room full of meta humans you did not trust.
Last edited by StickMan on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jalinth
Titan
Titan

Postby Jalinth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Zalman

The mage inclines his head towards the seated Ray, saying in what could be a respectful tone "Indeed. Your example is one that a person would do well to follow, young Raymond."

Zalman turns to watch the others, to see how they react.

-A.E. Housman

Leodiensian
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Leodiensian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Walking off the bus, Mike used the time to scope out the people he'd been lumped in with for this undoubtedly long haul. Obviously, everyone was in the same Valencia coloured jumpsuit, having all just been transferred from lock-up, but there were some differences. Like the guy who spoke first, and apparently had glowing green tatoos now. Nothing weird about that at all. No sir. And who said 'greetings'? He looked like a big guy, though, like he worked out a lot, so he didn't make his snarky comment anything more than a thought. There was a tall, blonde woman with an athletic build, though she could do with a little more in the curve-department. Another guy with brown hair looking kind of like a hobo, with his beard and everything. And then there was the young guy with the painfully trendy hair and a pretty self-pitying tone. Sounded like a juvenile offender, or at least an adult offender who never matured past juvenile.

The handcuffs suddenly slackened, as did the restraints around Mike's mouth and neck. He let the cuffs fall to the floor and eagerly slid the gag off of him, setting it down on the ground. He rolled his neck and shoulders for a second, just appreciating being free of the weight. He cleared his throat a little - raspy, dry. He'd not been allowed anything to drink for the journey, because of his restraints. Didn't want him telling anyone to let him walk free, now did they?

He wasn't really sure if there was any point in trying what he had planned. After all, if they let him out of the gag, that must mean they had some countermeasure in place for them using their powers. But still, that kid (the AEGIS had called him.. Raymond, was it?) was going to be a bit of a bummer if he carried on like that. "Hey, kid, you need to cheer up, man. No point being negative about all this." That was what their ears would hear. But their minds would hear something a little different. A coded imperative, subliminally delivered, to cheer the hell up and generally be positive. They were going to be happy campers whether they liked it or not. He did not want to be stuck with a bunch of whingers for his parole work.

((This is directed to Raymond specifically, but it'll effect everyone who can hear Mike speak. Make a DC 20 Will Save. If you fail, your character becomes Freindly. Fail by 5 or more and become Helpful. Fail by 10 or more and become Fanatical. Davies, if our powers aren't active or you have a problem with this, let me know and I'll be happy to change it. ))

Miner Cotren
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Miner Cotren » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Doctor Nicholas Skinner

"That's Doctor, G.I. Jackass." I may be bound to serve, but one can still maintain self-respect under servitude. Skinner ignores the brief exchange between Zalman and Raymond, but gives a nod to Zalman as a greeting of his own.

When the restraints are released, Skinner briefly massages his arms to restore circulation. As a small test to see if his powers had truly returned, Skinner willed the skin on his face to quickly and sharply close over his beard hair, resulting in an instant shave. He allows himself a small twitch of a smile, when suddenly, he hears, "Hey, kid..."

Will Save vs Vox (1d20+9=12) Fantastic roll! I'm suddenly feeling helpful...

Davies
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Davies » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 am

The outside door closes, and there's the sound of a heavy lock being engaged.

After a few moments, the door on the interior wall opens, and a short, heavy-set woman in bifocals pokes her head out.* Her mouth moves, silently doing a head count. (Her eyes linger slightly longer on Mike and Dr. Skinner than they do on the others.) Then she smiles faintly. "All five of you. Good -- no escape attempts this time.

"Congratulations, you've all just passed the final evaluation procedure. My name is Harriet Wainwright. Welcome to Project Freedom. If you'll please follow me down this hallway to the conference room, we can get started."

(* She looks a bit like this: Image)

OOC: Just a note in response to flynnarrel's comments in the OOC thread -- because you're all flat-footed, effectively, none of you get a Notice check to realize that you're being affected by Vox's Emotion Control unless you make the DC20 Will save. If your Sense Motive bonus is higher than your Notice bonus, use it instead for the Notice check.

However, when you get to the conference room the effect ends, abruptly, and Vox can't restart it. This counts as a setback for him, and he gets a ... well, he gets a Luck Point, let's call them for now, shall we? :twisted:
-- from Josh & Imp

StickMan
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby StickMan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 am

Raymond Crey

Ray was all ways hard to talk too and even harder to get to do what you wanted him to and that was when it was on a hearing level he could understand, But he was smart enough to know when something was wrong. "So here is the deal we all here have super-powers. I'm not sure what you all do but I'll let you know little about what I do. I have some level of control over electric and also I'm a bit of a speedster. I'm guessing you sir have some kind of power based on your voice because of your restraint" Raymond addresses Mike. "Now as we have to work together I suggest we agree that everyone does not use there powers on the others." Ray flash steps next to Mike with a small amount of electric pulsing over his hand getting so close to Mike that small amount of static may shock the man. "Agreed."

When the door starts to open Raymond kills the bolt in a fraction of a second.

Ray was a hot head but he knew he need to play nice with those who were in charge. "Good to meet you, Raymond Crey." Ray walks over to at normal human speed to greet Dr. Skinner and will extend his hand. He will follower her without issue to the Conference room.

Will Save 1d20+8=20
Notice check using electrical Awareness/Danger Sense. 1d20+10=25
Last edited by StickMan on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 am

Charlie
Will save (1d20+5=25)

Charlie calmly left the back of the bus and almost shuddered in pleasure as the she felt her strength flow back through her when the cuffs unlocked. She acted as if she was ignoring all the others, but never really taking her eyes off them, as she put her back against the nearest wall and waited for whatever was supposed to happen next. She couldn’t help but notice that she was physically the largest person in the room, but that wasn’t new to her she had been over six feet since junior high.

When Ms. Wainwright invited them in she was the second through the door after her, right after the Skinny guy with the electrical powers. Why would he share that? She thought to herself. Showing what’s up his sleeve to these guys could get him in serious shit.

Return to “M&M Game Room”