M&M Game Room Guidelines ***Please Read!***

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
SassyRonin
Site Admin
Site Admin

M&M Game Room Guidelines ***Please Read!***

Postby SassyRonin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi, and welcome to our new Play-By-Post forum. This is an experiment, but one which we have high hopes will work out great. We don't really know what to expect as far as activity in this forum, and what kind of effect (if any) it could have on the forums or the server itself if this forum turns out to be really popular.

If the M&M Game Room somehow explodes in popularity and starts bogging down the server, we'll be forced to lock it down and reevaluate. We don't really anticipate any problems, but wanted to be straight with you up front so you don't think we're evil if we have to freeze this forum in the middle of your epic online campaign.

Important Reminder: Forum rules apply in here. You might be in character, but if you take things too far and start posting statements that violate our terms of service, well, you'll be violating our terms of service.

And of course, Rule Number One is to have fun!

SplendidTuesday
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SplendidTuesday » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Wow, this forum just appeared on the 18th? Huh, I didn't see it.

Although, I will now, cause it's a great idea! I've played a few M&M PBP games on different forums, and they were extremely fun! I'm sure that this will be the same.

But, all in all, I don't think that most of the forum members saw this. Otherwise, they'd probably be all over it. May I help in spreading the word about this? (I won't spam, of course.)

Lone Star
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Lone Star » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Wow, cool! This should be pretty neat.
"It's alright to be afraid, David, because this part won't be like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it."

Novac
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Novac » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:36 pm

This'll be interesting.

RavenMaestro
Hireling
Hireling

Postby RavenMaestro » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:21 am

This place is neat. One suggestion though; it'd be nice to have a sub forum for IC threads. So we can keep the games and OOC conversations distinct. Would that be possible?

Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sketchpad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:50 am

RavenMaestro wrote:This place is neat. One suggestion though; it'd be nice to have a sub forum for IC threads. So we can keep the games and OOC conversations distinct. Would that be possible?

I agree with this, as well as maybe either making an General Interest thread/section or maybe moving the Interest threads to another section?

Bretbo
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby Bretbo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 am

We (the Moderators) have inquired before about sub-forums and where told they aren't available. Unless something has changed, I wouldn't expect it to be a possibility.

In the mean time, I'd suggest two threads for a campaign using tags at the beginning of each thread title that indicates in-character and out-of-character discussions. Something like ICC for "In Character Comments" and OCC for "Out of Character" Comments." Examples of what I mean:

[ICC] Fight for Freedom City Campaign
[OCC] Fight for Freedom City Campaign

If you would rather have everything in one thread (and, honestly, we would prefer this) then use the tags at the start of a post (if you want to keep each type of discussion in separate posts) or a sentence, such as:

[ICC]"Look out, Captain Thunder, Hellqueen is about to cast a spell on you!"
[OCC] can I use my telepathy to distract Hellqueen to mess up her spell?

Yeah, it's a bit of work, but probably the best method. But ultimately, its' up to the GM of the game to indicate what method works for them.

MaskedBrute
Bystander
Bystander

Postby MaskedBrute » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:21 am

Bretbo wrote:We (the Moderators) have inquired before about sub-forums and where told they aren't available. Unless something has changed, I wouldn't expect it to be a possibility.

In the mean time, I'd suggest two threads for a campaign using tags at the beginning of each thread title that indicates in-character and out-of-character discussions. Something like ICC for "In Character Comments" and OCC for "Out of Character" Comments." Examples of what I mean:

[ICC] Fight for Freedom City Campaign
[OCC] Fight for Freedom City Campaign

This is what I'm used to in PbP games, but...

If you would rather have everything in one thread ([b]and, honestly, we would prefer this[b])

I can understand that from your perspective.

... then use the tags at the start of a post (if you want to keep each type of discussion in separate posts) or a sentence, such as:[

[ICC]"Look out, Captain Thunder, Hellqueen is about to cast a spell on you!"
[OCC] can I use my telepathy to distract Hellqueen to mess up her spell?

Yeah, it's a bit of work, but probably the best method. But ultimately, its' up to the GM of the game to indicate what method works for them.

Or you could put it into spolier tags if you're mixing them into the same post.

RavenMaestro
Hireling
Hireling

Postby RavenMaestro » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:22 am

It may be slightly worse, but I'd recommend using two threads. It really does make a lot of difference.

Seriously. Games that have both IC and OOC in one thread... tend to get confusing, and untidy IMO.

Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sketchpad » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Or how about a OOC thread in the Settings Forum?

Bravo
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Bravo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Sounds like a winner to me Sketchpad ~ OOC and setting info in the setting thread could also spark more interest in both playing in and/or running a PbP game here at ATT!
Bravo

FELINE FURY: What's the point of having a name and a costume if you don't have an action figure?

Superdad
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Superdad » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:27 pm

I recently played on a PbP board and the biggest problem that I had was that regardless of who I was in-game, I was always superdad. I knew who my character was, but I had a big problem remembering who the other posters represented.
Maybe everyone should begin their in-character posts with character name, or CHARACTER NAME

Sketchpad
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Sketchpad » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:21 pm

It's really too bad that someone couldn't develop something like herocentral.com for M&M. The boards work well and there's an nice integrated die roller and chat :)

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Superdad wrote:I recently played on a PbP board and the biggest problem that I had was that regardless of who I was in-game, I was always superdad. I knew who my character was, but I had a big problem remembering who the other posters represented.
Maybe everyone should begin their in-character posts with character name, or CHARACTER NAME

Not a bad Idea, I think I'll try encouraging this.
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

smashed247
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby smashed247 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 am

Shadowchaser wrote:
Superdad wrote:I recently played on a PbP board and the biggest problem that I had was that regardless of who I was in-game, I was always superdad. I knew who my character was, but I had a big problem remembering who the other posters represented.

Not a bad Idea, I think I'll try encouraging this.

I'll second that notion.
"...Then he comes at me with the teapot and he asks, 'Why so British?'" ~Bakura, Yu-gi-oh the abridged series

Return to “M&M Game Room”