M&M Game Room Guidelines ***Please Read!***

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
veguto
Henchman
Henchman

Re: M&M Game Room Guidelines ***Please Read!***

Postby veguto » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 pm

So if I were to want to play on this board I would want to buy DC Adventures?

I want to buy it anyway, but I don't see too many games labeled "DCA" on here as apposed to M&M 3e. I would be bummed if I bought the wrong thing.
Last edited by veguto on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read Pile
Invincible
Siege (aka Crossover Madness)
Blackest Night Green Lantern Corps.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 pm

They both use the same rules so you should be fine buying either.

jinxed1up
Bystander
Bystander

Postby jinxed1up » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Im sorta new to this hole thing. I was wondering if anyone was willing to help me out or if there was a newblet game starting up ? I have roleplayed a fair ammount

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 pm

If you have 2E, I'm willing to play a few scenes out via PM. As for games, there's a Game List topic up including recruiting games, but there's nothing specifically for newbies. My advice would be to get a few builds up in the Roll Call thread and to join in on some conversations on the other parts of the forums. A lot of GMs are hesitant to involve people with only a few posts to their name because they're more likely to just stop logging in and thereby disappear.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 am

Yeah, I took a chance on someone in my last game that only had a few posts and that player ended up disappearing after one or two IC posts. It sucks, but there's precedent for being wary of new members.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:37 am

roguescribner wrote:Yeah, I took a chance on someone in my last game that only had a few posts and that player ended up disappearing after one or two IC posts. It sucks, but there's precedent for being wary of new members.

And, unlike work experience, any experience counts, so you're not necessarily stuck in the situation of needing to be in a game to get in a game. Your best bet is to have posted characters on the Roll Call forum (you can always post an initial draft and then ask for help) which will show a bit of your writing and technical abilities but next best is posting in the General forums, thereby showing interest in the board and in the system.

heretic454
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby heretic454 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 pm

Also just keep applying. Eventually someone will take a flyer on you and you'll prove them right. Not to mention if you keep applying with quality applications someone is likely to take notice.

Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon May 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Way too many 2e games posted for a game improved by 3e. Launching " Dark Twilight " 3e interest ...

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue May 08, 2012 4:08 am

Kevin_MacTaggert wrote:Way too many 2e games posted for a game improved by 3e. Launching " Dark Twilight " 3e interest ...

^_^ Why mess with perfection? Although, to be fair, there are a number of 3E games being launched. It's just that, being a newer system, more of them are being started by people new to the game, GMing, and/or the boards, so they don't stay open for long.

Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Tue May 29, 2012 12:39 am

I kind of want to address a troubling trend.

I have seen it in the past, and more recently it has risen its ugly head in several recent recruitment threads I've followed... and it is people who don't read, or at best skim the premise of a game... and throw any old bullshit character at the thread.

There have been some really terrible character to thread mismatches. Imagine submitting a cyborg for a game that is anthropomorphic animal detectives. Sure, you skim the OP, you see PL 10, cops and robbers style game set in Michigan, so bam! you stat up Robocop... and he doesn't bloody fit the campaign.

In one such recruitment, I actually proposed a Ban... very simple: if you can't be bothered to read the original post before submitting a character, you're banned from submitting. That might seem a little extreme, but it really isn't. To my way of thinking, if a player can't be bothered to read and understand the first thing (the original post) about a came, why should the rest of us be bothered playing with them?

Personally, I'm still going to operate as if such a ban is in effect... but it will be enforced insidiously. When someone posts a character that clearly violates the spirit of the campaign, or the clearly stated character submission guidelines, I'm just going to ignore that character. Good luck with that.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue May 29, 2012 6:02 am

I don't know that I see things as harsh as that, but you do have a good point. I know for my current game, I've got it labeled right in that first post that it's 160 pp and to consider Complications in light of that the characters will be torn out of their own world and thrown into other worlds (so Complications involving antipathy with local gangs or the need to hold down a part-time job in your family store just plain aren't going to come up) and yet a number of the character submissions for the latest round of recruiting, I needed to remind people.

Admittedly, I've been at fault for similar things before, usually because I have a character who just got rejected, or just got out of a stalled game, and I find myself wanting to jam them in with a few minor changes to make them palatable (for example, for the example game you mentioned, if I really wanted to play my Robocop build, I'd probably rebuild him as Robo-Cod, or Robo-Pup, and re-allocate some of the skills to show that he can indeed do the investigative thing, just that he winds up being the muscle as much as anything else).

It is an interesting point, though...

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Tue May 29, 2012 6:12 am

I know this isn't the point Lord Fell was making, but I'd also like to add that sometimes the OP changes and it'd be easy to miss that if a new GM post doesn't also list the changes (or link to the OP with a message like "Hey, I updated the guidelines! Check them out!"). I've run into that before myself thinking the game was headed in one direction and then it veers off somewhere else, but I didn't notice any conversation about that beforehand.

But yes, when submitting characters during open recruitment, everyone should read the OP and make sure they understand the guidelines the GM set forth before constructing your character. To do otherwise is just a waste of time and effort.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Cold Steel » Tue May 29, 2012 10:29 am

All GMs should add this in their recruitment thread:

"Fortune favors the stupid!"

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Mr.Sandman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:13 am

I fear you may have us confused with rather small chocolates.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:06 am

patrikparson wrote:SPAM, SPAM, SPAM

I call spammer!

- Aerlock
Last edited by Aerlock on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

Return to “M&M Game Room”