Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Adventures Assemble!

starring:

baixiwei as Vagabond
EnigmaticOne as Sunhawk
Gilliam as Nightbird
kenseido as Locust
Kreuzritter as Grotesk
stavaros-the-arcane as Gelert
Ysariel as Amethyst

and kenseido and Ysariel as GMs

Episode 1: Forged in Fire An enemy from the future comes to destroy the heroes before they can do the same to him -- but arrives a step too late.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:25 pm

At the bridge of the "Sword of Vengeance"
Imperial Flagship
Somewhere in interchronal space


The bridge is a hive of activity as officers rush back and forth, comparing reports and inspecting sensor readouts. Nearly a dozen crewmen and women sit before terminals arranged in a rough half-circle facing the main windows of the bridge, which look out upon a strange vista of endless swirling orange and pink: the interchronal space that allows time travel.

"Generals! Chronal transit is almost complete. We are approaching the designated time!" yells one of the bridge operators.

"About time," growls a figure in a bulky suit of powered armor. "Who would've figured this time travel crap could be so damnably boring."

"You and your impatience, Forge," chides a glowing woman clad only in a sheath of flame, floating serenely through the bridge. "No wonder you're so lousy in bed."

"Shut your trap, Furnace," Forge snaps, whirling around to glare at her with a mechanical whine. "You ain't so hot yourself!"

"Enough!" Iron Maiden growls. "Let us inspect the targets of our mission."

The four great generals of the Empire gather around the holoprojector: Forge and Furnace, Iron Maiden and Metallurge, who raises his hand. A metallic cable with a dataport at the end extends from his index finger and inserts itself into the projector's base. "Behold. The feared leaders of the future Resistance!" he cackles mockingly.

The projector whirs to life and displays six figures. There is a studious young man with dark hair playing a violin, his fingers guiding the bow as it sings upon the strings; next to him is a sickly boy with short brown hair hunched in a wheelchair. A disheveled, long-haired man slumps against a wall with a bottle of liquor in his hand. There is a Chinese girl in jeans and a sweater with hip-length black hair, a gymnast in her leotard and last of all a ... dog. "This data was returned by my chronal probe. It dates from years before they have become the persistent nuisances we are all familiar with," Metallurge explains. "I must say, despite my scientific brilliance I never imagined they could be even more pathetic in their past."

Forge grins savagely. "Frail, feeble weaklings. How shall they fare against plasma swords and heat-seeking missiles, I wonder?"

"Music-makers and domestic pets! Children, invalids and drunkards!" jeers Furnace, not to be outdone in enthusiasm.

Only Iron Maiden frowns. "Why do we need a flying battleship of the Imperial Fleet and a small army to conquer his Majesty's most hated and despicable foes, puny as they are?"

"Because I do not do anything by halves," growls a dangerous voice.

The doors to the bridge slide open and all four generals fall to their knees as a vast, armored figure strides in. Cybernetic legs stride forward and his volumnious scarlet cape billows out before him. He sits down in the command throne of the flagship and his the eye-slits of his horned helm glow dangerous red. The armored giant balls his right hand into a mighty fight of spiked mail. "When the Atom family opposed me they died in nuclear fire. When the Freedom League assailed me they were reduced to pox-ridden slaves. Now I, Lord Steel, will crush the Resistance as I have crushed all who came before them!"

He stabs an armored finger at the six holograms before him. "I have come to this time, long before their leaders have a chance to grow powerful and experienced. Your task is to erase them utterly from the timestream. None shall defy my rightful rule!"

"None defy the Emperor's iron fist!" the four generals intone. With a roar and a rumble that makes every bolt of the ship quiver, the mighty vessel exits the timestream and enters the star-filled expanse of space itself.

And below it, the Earth, ringed with gold by the sun's rising light...

Forged in Fire
Episode 1
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Vagabond
Downtown bistro

You are at an exclusive bistro downtown, talking shop with Mr Langley, an Old World ally of the Desportes who is here in America on business. It is useful to refresh old alliances every now and then and remain up to date on what goes on in the magical world. You are in the middle of discussing recent banshee incursions in south California when your car explodes.

This is not new. You have, unfortunately, become familiar with evildoers from the magical fraternity ruining your day by trying to knock you off. But when you look out the window you see something unexpected. A glowing woman cloaked in fire is hovering by your car, inspecting the melted remains for corpses. There are only moments to go before she realizes you weren't in it and starts looking further.

"How unpleasant," comments Mr. Langley, who sets down his cup of tea. "Perhaps you will teach this ruffian some manners?" He seems intrigued at the prospect of seeing you in action.

You can try to confront her directly, or evade conflict by hiding. You can also do whatever you think is reasonable.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Locust
Secret lair

You are in your hideout tinkering with your hoverboard when the security system you installed beeps and alerts you to movement outside. Looking through a security camera, you see half a dozen robots moving through the area and screaming citizens fleeing from them. You realize that the design is not like any that you have seen in the city before -- so they either belong to a new super's, or one from another area.

Funnily, the robots don't seem to be on some random rampage of destruction, and they do nothing to stop the civilians from escaping. As they spread out and check all the alleys and buildings you get the sense that they are looking for someone.

Specifically, you.

Feel free to describe your secret base a little. Leaving your hideout unnoticed will take a Stealth check.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Sunhawk
Orchestra Hall

You are performing at the Max Fischer Symphony Center, home of the Phoenix Bay Orchestra and more popularly known to city residents as the Orchestra Hall. Today you are performing Paganini's Caprice No. 24 in A minor, among the most challenging violin pieces known, and your much-talked-about and much-anticipated performance has filled the 2,000-seat hall to the brim.

You stand on the stage before uproarious applause. The clapping dies and the lights dim to a circle of bright light shining down on you from above. As the last murmurs of conversation fade into silence you notice the door at the entrance crack open for a moment and several figures enter the hall. That's a little strange: normally entry is strictly forbidden once a performance is under way, and you don't recall seeing any empty seats anywhere.

Judging from what you saw, you estimate about four people entered.

You can choose to play on normally, or stop the concert and draw attention to the people who entered.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Nightbird
Outside Orchestra Hall

You are hard at work rooting out the smugglers operating out of Westbay. In the year since the Invasion they have gotten more brazen and some have even taken to operating openly during daytime. Thankfully your efforts over the previous few weeks have set back their efforts significantly and hit them where it hurts the most, their pocketbooks.

The afternon is uneventful and you decide to head home for a short break. On your way back you pass through the populous downtown area, checking the back alleys and all the usual crime hotspots. Your diligence is rewarded when you spy something very odd: a group of women, perhaps 10 in total, is gathered at the back of the Orchestra Hall in the city center. All of them wear dominatrix gear and leather, and all are armed with whips and wicked-looking curved knives.

You haven't seen this particular street gang before. Obviously they're up to trouble -- but what sort of trouble is anyone's guess. As you watch, they disable the lock to the Orchestra Hall's rear door and sneak inside, leaving two standing guard outside.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Gelert
Bernard Clairvaux Medical Center

You are at the medical center and have just finished a session with Jasmine, a girl with a speech impairment who is improving her speech with your help. Talking to a talking dog seems to be much easier than another human being and the fact that she utterly enjoys your company doesn't hurt one bit.

As the door closes, you hop up to the 1st floor window -- Jasmine always waves goodbye at you from her car. But as you look out the window you see something quite different: six robots fly down from the sky and land in the courtyard of the medical center, turning off their jet boots and brandishing high-tech weapons. You don't recognize the design, but they don't look especially friendly.

There are seconds left until Jasmine walks out that door and right into the robots.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Grotesk
Downtown

It wasn't easy to find a job -- your looks mark you as not quite normal, and in a city still recovering from the Armada's invasion a year ago that makes people nervous. At last you have managed to find a gig doing menial labor for a shipping and moving company. The pay isn't particularly good, but it's enough to eke out an existence on until you can find something better.

You are helping with a furniture delivery downtown when suddenly you spot civilians fleeing and screaming, followed by an earthshaking explosion. Looking down the street you see a super-brawl in full swing.

Lying in the middle of the street is a man in a suit of bulky powered armor, and down from the sky floats a girl with pink hair in a remarkably stripperrific battlesuit. "Guess that old tin can of yours doesn't hold up to the battlesuit of the 21st century," the girl taunts.

"You said that the first time we met, bitch!" says the man, hopping to his feet and stabbing a finger at her. "You were wrong back then, and you're still wrong now!"

"Back then?" she blinks. "What do you mean, back -- nngh!"

Half a dozen robots pour out of the street behind the girl and shoot her right out of the air in a blitz of laser fire. Together with the power-armored man, they start beating the crap out of her.

You will almost certainly be fired for leaving the goods undelivered, super-brawl or not.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 8135
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Sunhawk
HP: 4

Ysariel wrote:Sunhawk
Orchestra Hall

You are performing at the Max Fischer Symphony Center, home of the Phoenix Bay Orchestra and more popularly known to city residents as the Orchestra Hall. Today you are performing Paganini's Caprice No. 24 in A minor, among the most challenging violin pieces known, and your much-talked-about and much-anticipated performance has filled the 2,000-seat hall to the brim.

You stand on the stage before uproarious applause. The clapping dies and the lights dim to a circle of bright light shining down on you from above. As the last murmurs of conversation fade into silence you notice the door at the entrance crack open for a moment and several figures enter the hall. That's a little strange: normally entry is strictly forbidden once a performance is under way, and you don't recall seeing any empty seats anywhere.

Judging from what you saw, you estimate about four people entered.

You can choose to play on normally, or stop the concert and draw attention to the people who entered.


Morgan had just started to play and despite the oddity of the four newcomers, he saw no reason to make a scene. Smoothly continuing, he rationalized that perhaps a couple people had managed to get in last minute and would have to stand at the back.

It wouldn't do to cause such a break in the performance with no good reason.
Last edited by EnigmaticOne on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impeach the peach!

Image

User avatar
baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4875
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Fort Lee, NJ
Contact:

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby baixiwei » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Vagabond
HP: 1, Conditions: none, Character sheet

"Perhaps," mused Nicolas aloud, sounding calmer than he felt. Still getting used to being treated with respect by the society he'd once failed out of, he often compensated, as now, by putting on airs. "But there are too many people around. And if I stopped her here, I'd lose the chance to follow her back to ... wherever she goes."

The rest of his reply was inaudible whispers and mumbling as he focused intently on the destroyed car. After a moment, he smiled and turned back to Langley. "A shame - he was still young, with so much life ahead of him." He pointed with his eyes in the direction of the car, where a charred and mangled corpse wearing his clothes was now evident in the driver's seat.

OOC wrote:Create Object to create a corpse of myself. I guess it will stand up to cursory inspection but not to physical inspection beyond poking or prodding. My Create is precise, subtle, and innate, but I can just use Illusion instead of you prefer that. I'll watch what she does and try to follow, or summon something to do so, if she leaves.
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

User avatar
stavaros-the-arcane
Mastermind
Mastermind
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby stavaros-the-arcane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:14 pm

Ysariel wrote:Gelert
Bernard Clairvaux Medical Center

You are at the medical center and have just finished a session with Jasmine, a girl with a speech impairment who is improving her speech with your help. Talking to a talking dog seems to be much easier than another human being and the fact that she utterly enjoys your company doesn't hurt one bit.

As the door closes, you hop up to the 1st floor window -- Jasmine always waves goodbye at you from her car. But as you look out the window you see something quite different: six robots fly down from the sky and land in the courtyard of the medical center, turning off their jet boots and brandishing high-tech weapons. You don't recognize the design, but they don't look especially friendly.

There are seconds left until Jasmine walks out that door and right into the robots.


A semi-transparent glowing blue hand appears and yanks the window open as Gelert leaps out floating to ground level and then running to put himself between the door and the robots. Another blue glow emerges from the ring on Gelert's tail and forms into a protective wall in front of the door.

"Hello! my name is Gelert. You are pointing guns around near a hospital. That is not friendly and I do not like it. Please stop that."

OOC: How is the dialogue text color? I don't usually use them so I want to be sure its okay.

User avatar
Kreuzritter
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21027
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Rumble City

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Kreuzritter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Grotesk
HP 1


"No choice at all," the pale man replies, passing the TV to Carl, his foreman

"I quit."

he then takes off at a dead run towards the battle, closing heyes and concentrating on a simple thought

[---]

Amethyst, even as you're getting knocked around you hear it, a sudden clap of thunder, followed an instant later by an exploding cloud of white smoke

this gives even the armored jerk's goons pause a moment, and in that moment there is silence

and then an Ear splitting Roar, screamed by the skinless giant that emerges from the cloud and starts to charge in your direction

[---]

curled within the core of his biomecha, the alien named Grotesk thinks only one thought as he joins the one against many

Leave Her Alone!
Kreuz Control Promotions: over 2800 builds served, and counting...
Crinoverse: Contributions

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby kenseido » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Locust

Liam is practicing a sword form when the permieter security alarm goes off. He grimaces a bit. He stands up from his fighting stance and walks over to the console switching it off.

"Every damn stray cat is setting this thing off." He had been trying to fine tune it for weeks and everytime he thought he got it...

A stray glance at one of the monitors changes his tune completely. What the?"

Liam racks his brains trying to remember which of his Dad's old enemies would be using robots. At least three fit the bill as possible but none of them really ranked up there as definites.

He strides past the exercise area which takes up more than half of the base over to the small bed where he tossed his costume. Quickly putting it on, he steps over next to his motorcycle and pulls the hoverboard off of it.

"Well, let's go introduce ourselves." He grabs his sword and with a flourish, sheathes it behind his back. He hops on his hoverboard and tries to leaves the overground bunker into the warehouse above and tries to exit a side the robots aren't on.

-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1999
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Gilliam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 am

Nightbird
HP: 1
Condition: Normal


Looking down into the alleyway behind the Orchestra Hall Imogen felt annoyed, it had been a quiet afternoon with no sign of any problems in fact she was on her way home to have a catnap before her night time patrol and had switched into cruise mode until now.

"It's outfits like that that make it hard for anyone to take us seriously." Imogen observed the group of women below dressed in tight leather complete with whips and knives. They must be a new gang otherwise she would have heard of them by them in fact the whole city would have as they would be perfect fodder for the local tabloids. [color=BF4040]"I wonder how bright they are?"[/color]

Taking a couple of stones Imogen tossed them down the alley aiming behind a large dumpster along one wall. Once the two women had moved away from the door leading into the back of the Orchestra Hall, Imogen swung down and quickly made her way through the door as quietly as possible.

Nightbird will use Bluff to try to make the guards move away from the door and then take 10 for Stealth +22 to sneak through the door while their backs are turned.
Nightbird Bluff (1d20+8=16)


User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: Adventures Assemble: Forged in Fire!

Postby Ysariel » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:21 am

Sunhawk
Orchestra Hall

You continue playing for scarcely a minute something whizzes by your face, shatters the bow of your violin and lodges itself in the wall behind you with a crack. The music dies with a discordant shriek and you realize that you just heard the supersonic crack of a sniper rifle.

As screams and panicked shouts fill the hall, someone has the presence of mind to turn on the lights. With the hall lit you see two women in dominatrix gear manning a sniper rifle near the entrance and another two armed with whips and wicked knives covering them. They are feverishly reloading and you have moments left until they manage to get another shot in.

I trigger your Secret complication because any use of your powers will draw attention to your secret identity, get 1 HP.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)


Return to “M&M Game Room”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests