Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative" (Closed to New Interest) 3e

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative" (Recruiting till 4/29)

Postby Weyrd » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:12 am

The reason I didn't go with precog is because I don't want her to be able to change it. When she screams someone is going to die...period. In that sense it seemed like a detect or awareness just a few minutes early.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:13 am

How about precog limited to... ?

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:34 am

Precognitive Do-Overs require a HP IIRC.

I would think Precog, Limited to Seeing Imminent Death, Uncontrolled fits the bill, but so does Death Awareness as you wrote it. You`re not actually seeing the upcoming death, you just know it`s about to happen...

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 am

I'll wait to see what whiteprofit says about it. At most we're talking about 1 to 2pp in cost. The only thing that give me hesistance about precog at all is the verbage in its description on how it allows the user to get visions of possible futures and that if events change that future may not come to pass. With her death sense, someone will always die, and she doesn't know how so it's not even that good of a sense of danger.

ex: she walks in to a bank and gets the feeling and screams, she might get all tense and on edge looking around to see if the bank is about to be robbed, only to have the old security guard in the corner collapse dead from a stroke. Another example might be she get the feel, sees some guys in headphones crossing the street, she runs and tackles him to safety, only to have some random pedestrian get impaled by the umbrella of a hot vendor cart that got blown away in a sudden gust.

It's meant to be more of a quirky complication than an actual story driver.

*edit: exactly right Bladewind :D

**second edit: Made final modifications to stats. Changed Attack modifier on insubstantial to selective, changed improved disarm to improved smash, added improved critical (disruption attack) and luck and raised dodge, pary, and fort score to bring her saves closer to caps. If additional points are needed to change up how the Death Sense power is built, I can undo some of those to free them up again.
Banshee
Last edited by Weyrd on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:48 am

So something kind of like the Reapers in Dead Like Me, only an internal sense? If you haven't seen the series, the main characters are Grim Reapers that get the names, times, and places for people about to die (specifically of freak accidents in their cases but there are apparently other branches of Reapers). They actually can refuse to reap someone (i.e. release their soul from their body) or even outright prevent the death but if they do there are major consequences. Either the soul/mind is left trapped in a dead and often horrendously damaged body or fate starts conspiring to kill the person and may do a lot of other damage along the way. I could see something like that being a major complication for a heroic type as it forces you to choose between your instincts to be a hero and the knowledge that even trying could make things much worse.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 am

I have seen that show and it is similar, minus name, date, time, place information, but yeah I do plan on have fun with the internal struggle there. I mean if you knew someone was going to die near you soon what would you do, how many times would you need to try to save them before you realized it was inevitable? At that would you just give up, sit back and wait for it to happen or would you still try to find them and at least give them a last moment of peace and happiness.

I definitely want the power to feel like a burden to her.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:56 am

Weyrd wrote: At that would you just give up, sit back and wait for it to happen or would you still try to find them and at least give them a last moment of peace and happiness.

"Have a cupcake"
"What? Oh thank y..." *hit by bus*
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Slasher
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Slasher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:25 am

I'd like to submit a mentor-style character. His name is Wraith.

Marcus "The Wraith" Filsdeguerre
Height 6'2''
Weight:200 lbs.
PL 10 (150 pp)

Abilities
Str: 3
Sta: 3
Agi: 5
Dex: 6
Fgt: 4
Int: 1
Awe: 4
Pre: 2
6+6+10+12+8+2+8+4=56 pp (94 left)

Skills
Athletics 4 (+2 Str)
Close Combat(Unarmed) 8 (+4 Fgt)
Deception 4 (+2 Pre)
Insight 2 (+4 Awe)
Investigation 2 (+1 Int)
Perception 6 (+4 Awe)
Ranged Combat(Pistol) 4 (+6 Dex)
Ranged Combat(Sniper Rifle) 4 (+6 Dex)
Stealth 6 (+6 Dex)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+6 Dex)
Treatment 2 (+1 Int)
Technology 2 (+1 Int)
Vehicles 6 (+6 Dex)
25pp (69 left)

Advantages
Ranged Attack 5 (to show general skill, the skills in sniper and pistol are his main weapons)
Equipment 7
Quick Draw
Move-By-Action
Prone Fighting
Instant Up
Languages (French)
Benefit 2(Independently Wealthy, Cipher)
Defensive Roll 7
26 pp (43 left)

Equipment
Sniper Rifle with:Laser Sight, Suppressor, Targeting Scope (14 ep)
Bulletproof Vest(3 ep)
Heavy Pistol with Suppressor(9 ep)(26 total so far)
Stun Gun(5 ep)
General:(4 ep)
Camo (Urban)
Cell Phone
Night Vision Goggles
Flashlight

Powers
Teleport 8 (1 mile)(Increased Mass 4) (20 pp)
(23 left)

Offense
Sniper Rifle 15 (DC 20)
Heavy Pistol 14 (DC 19)
Unarmed 14 (DC 17)

Defense
Dodge 5+8pp
Fortitude 3+5pp
Parry 4+7pp
Toughness 3 (+7 Defensive Roll)
Will 4+3pp

Marcus was raised in a Parisian ghetto, where he used his teleportation abilities to scrape a living off with petty thievery. He soon was approached by the French government to be trained as an agent. Seeing as they had found him after three consecutive "jumps" Marcus decided it would be in his best interest to accept.
Codenamed "The Wraith" for his ability to disappear from mission scenes, Marcus racked up a very impressive kill record going after organized crime rings. On one routine mission, he was ordered to take out the family of a known mobster. It was there that he drew the line. He stopped the mission and retired from the agency. Now he works on the police force, patrolling the neighborhoods of his childhood. He heard about the "Initiative" set up by Goldmax, and asked if he would accept him as a mentor.
Last edited by Slasher on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:25 am

Would you be able to use it to detect danger? What about if the group was about to get into combat? They might die but probably not. Does this power remove the ability of the PCs to do anything about the death and save people?

IIRC, there is a 1 pt feature in the Power Profile death book that might be what you're looking for.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:49 am

and she doesn't know how so it's not even that good of a sense of danger.

ex: she walks in to a bank and gets the feeling and screams, she might get all tense and on edge looking around to see if the bank is about to be robbed, only to have the old security guard in the corner collapse dead from a stroke.

It can't be used to reliably predict danger, as death doesn't always need to be associated with danger (and danger doesn't always lead to death.)

Does this power remove the ability of the PCs to do anything about the death and save people?

Yes an no, yes in the sense that someone WILL die, no in the sense that how many people and in what way has yet to be known. So giant robot appears and she gets the sense, they can still act to stop it and prevent it from massacring hundreds, but there still might have been one person (maybe trampled to death in a fleeing panic or had heart attack from sheer stress/shock of seeing giant robot) who died.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:41 am

Slasher wrote:He once accepted work for a cartel in Guinea, and the cartel has not been heard from in over a year. He heard about the "Initiative" set up by Goldmax, and asked if he would accept him as a mentor.

Interesting build but I'm not sure this is really the right game for an assassin for hire. While Freedom City did have an Iron Age period, it's decidedly on the optimistic hero side these days and I'm not sure an assassin would be readily accepted as a superhero mentor by the more prominent capes. Maybe go in a more "Iron Age antihero going straight and trying to be a worthy superhero and keep kids from going down that dark path" kind of direction?
Builds

Slasher
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Slasher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:44 am

Sorry, I'm kind of unfamiliar with the setting..let me think about some changes.
Edit: the cartel work was supposed to mean that he took the job as away to take down the cartel. Sorry about my convoluted mental processes.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am

Slasher wrote:Sorry, I'm kind of unfamiliar with the setting..let me think about some changes.
Edit: the cartel work was supposed to mean that he took the job as away to take down the cartel. Sorry about my convoluted mental processes.

From what whiteprofit has said, I don't think a strong familiarity with Freedom City is necessary but from what I've seen of shock's game, the thematic seems to lean more to four-color heroics as in the basic source material. So heroes don't kill as a rule, the good guys win (albeit sometimes at a high cost), and there's a clear line between good and evil. There was a time when all the white hat heroes were retired by the Moore Act that made it illegal to be a costumed hero so only the antiheroes were around fighting the bad guys but they all fell out of favor in the last decade or so. There is certainly darkness but the tone is overall optimistic. Most of the angst tends to be in younger heroes, even though a lot of older heroes have gone through dark places as well.
Builds

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 pm

I can say for certain Goldmax wouldn't consider a man with "an impressive kill record" as a good candidate to mentor young heroes regardless of who he was killing.

Also, you've got the DCs wrong on your attacks. Looks like you're using 10+rank when it should be 15+rank for damage attacks. And he's way undercapped defensively. He wouldn't last 3 rounds against a PL10 villain.

Slasher
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Slasher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Oh ok. Let me fix him up a bit. I wasn't sure of the coloring for morality.
Kill record: past mistakes he's trying to make up for.
Mercenary: now in his past.

Return to “M&M Game Room”