Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative" (Closed to New Interest) 3e

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative" (Recruiting till 4/29)

Postby Mr.Sandman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 pm

The first game I ever applied him for would go against Nazis, and I thought it would be interesting to have him speak german. My mind went Nazis-> Germans-> German engineering, so I decided that Germany would be where all the great innovations came out of. He went to collage in Germany, and as the best research papers were in German he learned to read and speak it. Its mostly for flavor.

Ashathor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ashathor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Here's my entry as a student.

Shade
PL 8 = 120 PP

Abilities = -6
Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect -2, Awareness 0, Presence -1

Advantages = 2 pp
-Favored Environment Darkness.
-Hide in Plain Sight.

Skills 1 (2 Ranks)
Acrobatics 1 (+9), Athletics 0 (+8), Expertise: 0 (-2), Perception 0 (+8), Stealth 0 (+8), Technology 0 (-2), Close Combat: Unarmed 0 (+8), Insight 0 (+8), Vehicles 0 (0), Ranged Combat: Shadow Manipulation 0 (+8) Intimidation 0 (+11)

Powers -123
Shadow Form - 109 (45 base, 64 Enhanced) - 88
-Insubstantial 4 (susceptible to magic) 16
-Concealment (visual 4, Precise) 5
-Wall crawling 2 2
-Slithering 1 1
-Immunity 1 (Immunity Descriptor Shadow)
-super-speed 2 4
-speed 2 1
-safe fall 1
-Teleport 2 (Change Velocity, Change Direction, Turnabout) = 5
-Limited to darkness/shadows
-Activation Move
-Noticeable (Wraith-like appearence)
-Enhanced Trait 56 (Agility 8, Awareness 8, Stamina +8, Fighting 8, Enhanced Trait Dexterity 8, Enhanced Strength 8 affects Corporeal 4, Intimidation +12, Limited to Shadow Form,)

Fiendish Traits - 8
-Extra Limb Prehensile Tail.
-Senses 6 (Extended Auditory 1, Extended Visual 2, Dimensional Darkvision, Noticeable (Glowing eyes)
Demensional Travel 1 (Shadow plane and Normal, limited must be in darkness or a large shadow) = 1 PP

Spread Darkness vs. 2
Create 12, Porportional, Limited Unnatural Darkness, Limited Requires Pre-existing darkness/large shadows. = 4

Dark Fury = 20 (23) PP

Shadow Horrors
Affliction 8, Will DC, Shapeable area, (Vulnerable, Defenseless), Cumulative, limited (requires darkness or shadows), Limited Degree, Effects Corporeal 10, Effects insubstantial 2.

Shadow Bolts
Ranged Damage 8, Limited (Requires shadow form), Affects Insubstantial 2, Affects Corporeal 10

Draining Darkness
Weaken 10, Fortitude DC 20, Inaccurate 1 (+6), Reach 1, limited (shadow form required), Broad (Abilities), Simultaneous, Distracting.

Weakening Strike
Damage 6, Affects Corporeal 4.
LINKED
Affliction 6, (Fortitude DC 18/14, Fatigued, Exhausted) Limited Degree, Affects Corporeal 4

Offense
Shadow Horrors: Cumulative Shapeable Area Affliction (DC Will 18)
Shadow Bolts: Ranged Damage 8 (+8) (DC 23)
Draining Darkness: Weaken 10 (+6) (DC 20 Fortitude)
Weakening Strike, 6 (+0) (DC 21)
LINKED, 6 (+0), (DC 16 Fortitude)
Initiative +0 (+16)
Grab, +0 (+8) (DC Spec 10, 18)
Throw, +0 (+8) (DC 23)
Unarmed, +0 (+10) (DC 23)

Complications

Evils of Science: She hates scientists, labs, physical touch, and being restrained. And due to her volatile nature, can lead her to act strongly against such actions or people.

Too Bright!: Extreme light nearly blinds her, and is also painful to stay in, which is why she wears fully-covering clothes. It also prevents her from doing most any of her abilities, even simply attacking is hard with being blinded and feeling the pain of the light source.

The Darker Side of Me: Her instinctiveness has led her to be very emotionally driven. Her emotions are more extreme than most, perhaps due to her amnesia or her powers. It particularly is an issue when extremes of any emotion occurs, especially anger or sadness.

Black-Tailed Freak: Her appearence, and unfamiliarity with everything around her, has caused her few encounters with humans to be very hurtful. She prefers sticking in her shadows, and dislikes talking to others for fear of their hatred.

Amnesia: Captured while still a child, now age 19, doesn't remember anything from her past since she awoke with her powers, except for the ocassional nightmares of being tortured. Which also means she has little skills in the very basics of modern society.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 0 (+8), Parry 0 (+8), Fortitude 0 (+8), Toughness 0 (+8), Will 0 (+8)

Power Points
Abilities -6 + Powers 123 + Advantages 2 + Skills 1 (2 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 120

Backstory
Kidnapped as a child, the young woman now named "Shade" remembers little beyond the ocassional flash-back of intense pain from her time in captivity. She remembers waking up at the age of around 19 surrounded by heroes, one of which claimed to have saved her, but at a cost.

When the heroes found her, she was a hanging, emanciated being with little life left. If they took her off from her machine, she would die within seconds. A sorceress who dealt in shadow magic was with them, and used what she knew to give Shade some renewed life, though something unexpected happened.

They think it was because of her vulnerable state, or perhaps the experiements ran on her, maybe even both, but when Shade took in the dark energy she was changed into a creature of shadow permanently. They assisted her a little in the basics of life, though they soon had to leave for some mission which she never saw from them again.

She often was scorned for her appearence, hated for it, and she would either strike out in anger or retreat to her shadows in fear and sadness. She follows her instincts and emotions, as those are all she has left to guide her. She is unsure how to proceed with her life, or what to achieve with what she can do.

It was after all this that she was invited into the program. With no guidance other than this, she decided to give it a try to maybe find some help in this bright world.

If there is anything I missed, or need to correct, let me know.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Thank you for the submission, Ashathor, but I don't think Shade really fits the setting. It's a cool character, but is too unestablished and raw for Goldmax to try and link her up with someone. If you're still interested, you're more than welcome to submit something else.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:31 pm

I've been working on my homework for the game- and its keeping me awake :)

Sandy, a question for you on potential interactions, how would Doc Clockwork react to an openly worn religious symbol (a hammer) that the Nazi's perverted?

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Mr.Sandman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Updated the Doc with his connection to Goldmax. And he would be fine with it, through he never had much to do with religion, he has nothing against any of them.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:21 am

So I thought I'd already posted her, but apparently I haven't.. SO sorry, here's Bittersweet:

Michelle, AKA Bittersweet - PL 8 (120 PP)
BACKGROUND:
Michelle was born into what even the most forgiving person would call a disfunctional family. She was always a bit different, withdrawn and shy because of her parents influence, but as she grew her true differences became more obvious. By the time she was 10, her parents had figured out their little girl was a 'freak', and wanted nothing to do with her, so when a 'friend' of theirs offered $5000, they eagerly sold her off.

Over the next several years, her new 'family' repeatedly took advantage of her powers, forcing her to help them commit numerous crimes, mostly robberies. As her womanhood began to blossom, some of the gang members tried to find other.. uses.. for her, but her latent and uncontrolled telekinetic backlash put a stop to that. Though she was beaten for hurting them, it did dissuade any further attempts.

As her powers grew, so did the size of the jobs the crew pulled, and the attention they gathered.
After one particularily daring mid-day bank heist, the group returned to their lair to get plastered, throwing Michelle into her room while the after-effects of her powers played out.
Her mental pleas were finally answered as Neuron was able to home in on the girls psychic cry, and show up to save her.
Unfortunately, she truly had nowhere else to go, and it wasn't like he could turn her over to the authorities - nobody would know what to do with her, or how to handle her abilities.
That's when Goldmax approached them and made a suggestion..

*NOTE: I'm hoping Kenmadragon's ok with me using Neuron, I really don't think she fits in too well with any of the other teachers, she kind of NEEDS a fellow psychic to be her mentor..

Abilities: 14 pp
STR 0
STA 1 (2pp)
DEX 0
AGI 0
FGT 0
INT 2 (4pp) *Up to 10 W/Mental Sponge*
AWE 2 (4pp)
PRE 2 (4pp)

Defenses: (3pp)
Dodge: +12 (+12 Enhanced)
Parry: +12 (+12 Enhanced)
Toughness: +4 (3 Dress +1 Sta)
Fort +6 (1 Sta +5 Dress)
Will +10 (3 base +2 Awe +5 Dress)

Skills: (62 ranks = 31pp)
Deception(+10/8), Insight(+12/8), Perception(+10/8), Persuasion(+10/8), Sleight of Hand(+10/10), Stealth(+10/10), Treatment(+6/4)
Expertise: Criminal(+6/4)

Advantages: 5p
Attractive, Improved Defense, Redirect, Set-up, Uncanny Dodge

Powers: 63 + Mental Sponge
*NOTE: To keep this area clean, All Side Effects will be detailed in a seperate section*

Psychic Array: 16p + 5 AP = 21pp
Primary: Mind Reading
-Mind Reading 8 (Area: Burst +1/rank, Effortless +1/rank, Cumulative +1/rank, Sensory Link +1/rank, Side Effect -2/rank, Feedback -1/rank, Limited: language -1/rank): 2/rank = 16pp
AP: Mind Control:
-Affliction 8 (Perception +2/rank, Concentration +1/rank, Extra Condition +1/rank, Side Effect -2/rank, Instant Recovery -1/rank): 2/rank=16pp
*Conditions: Impaired & Entranced, Disabled & Compelled, Controlled*
AP: Emotion Control:
-Affliction 8 (Perception +2/rank, Progressive +2/rank, Limited: Emotions -1/rank, Side Effect -2/rank): 2/rank=16pp
*Conditions: Entranced, Compelled, Controlled*
AP: Illusions:
-Illusion 8 (All Senses 5/rank, Feedback -1/rank, Side Effect -2/rank): 2/rank = 16pp
AP: TK:
-Move Object 8(Perception +1/rank, Damaging +1/rank, Side Effect -2/rank): 2/rank = 16pp
AP: Mind Crush:
-Damage 8(Perception +2/rank, Will Save +1/rank, Side Effect -2/rank): 2/rank = 16pp

Telepathy: 2 + 2 - 3 (Check Required: Will) = 1pp
-Mind Reading 1 (Permanent +0/rank, Area: Burst +3/rank, Effortless +1/rank, Limited: Surface Thoughts -1/rank, Limited: Language -1/rank, Feedback -1/rank, Quirk: Only 100' range): 3/rank -1 = 2p
-Linked: Communication 1 (Mental, Side Effect -1/rank): 2p

Mental Sponge: 8p
-Enhanced Int 8 (Permanent, Side Effect -2/rank, Quirk: No more int bonus than # of people within Telepathy range): 1/2 ranks -1 = 3p
-Variable 1 (Uncontrolled -1/rank, Limited: skills/advantages within telepathy range -1/rank): 5p

Invisibility: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses, Reation +1/rank, Unreliable -1/rank, Side Effect -1/rank): 1/rank = 4pp

Super Senses: Variable 1 (Side Effect -2/rank, Limited: Senses -1/rank): 4pp
-Used for Remote Sensing and Enhanced Senses.

So Innocent: Enhanced Dodge/Parry +12 (Resistable: Will -1/rank): 12pp

Psionically Imbued Dress: 15p - 3 removable +1 Indestructible = 13pp
-Protection 3: 3p
-Immunity: Cold environment: 1p
-Feature: Always clean: 1p
-Enhanced Saves: Fort+5, Will+5

COST: 14 Abilities +3 Defenses +31 Skills +5 Advantages +63 Powers = 116/120

Complications:
Motivation: Acceptance
Involuntary Powers: Many of Michelle's powers activate during times of high stress. Like the uncontrollable flaw, this gives the GM the ability to take control of her powers, but she still has regular control when he is not using this complication (And giving her the appropriate hero point).
Troubled Past: Michelle was sold to a criminal gang by her parents who considered her a freak. It's safe to say she has abandonment issues.
Shy with outbursts: Michelle is normally shy, but occasionally overcompensates.
Enemy: The crime family she used to work for is pretty pissed that she got her crew caught, and want her back.
Reputation: Those who DO know about her have a less than stellar opinion due to her dangerous and wild powers.
Criminal: Though she was being forced into it, Michelle has technically been a key part of several dozen crimes, some of them large scale, including bank robberies.
Destitute: Now that she's 'free' of the gang, Michelle literally has nothing except the clothes on her back..

Side Effects/Notes:
Mind Reading:
When she tries to read someone's mind, it can be turned around on her. If the target wins the opposed check, they get to read her mind as though They had used the same effect, with their degrees of success.

Mind Control:
After controlling someone, she is 'suggestible' for an amount of time equal to the time rank she spent using Control. During this time, anything that is said to her is treated as though it were a Mind Control effect (identical to hers). If conflicting commands are given, the commanders make opposed charisma checks to determine control.

Emotion Control:
She is affected by the same emotion.

Illusion:
Still pondering. Thinking she Hallucinates afterwards (Illusions affecting only her lasting as long as she used illusions for), or looses use of the senses she was fooling (If she makes a visual illusion she goes temporarily blind, etc)

TK & Mind Crush:
Both of these can cause either of the following at GM's discretion on case by case basis:
Psychic Nosebleed: Mental Damage effect Resisted by Will
Severe Headaches: Cumulative Affliction Resisted by Will

Telepathy:
To use this, she needs to make a DC 13 Will save. If she fails the Check, she instead starts broadcasting what she thinks to everybody within range until she makes the save to 'turn it off' (once per round as an affliction)

Super Senses:
This is a variable limited to Remote Sensing & Enhanced Senses. She can use her phenomenal psychic powers to gain many powerful sensory abilities, but at a cost: Sometimes she experiences hallucinations, and/or looses the associated senses afterwards (Or looses other senses while using this power). GM's discretion. (I figured it's a variable power, so a Variable side effect makes sense).

Invisibility:
When her invisibility misfires, it can do so in several ways. Sometimes it causes only her to become invisible, not worn/held items. Sometimes it ONLY causes her worn/held items to become invisible (how embarassing!). Sometimes it makes her Blind. Fortunately her control of it is getting a bit better - she's up to a 50/50 record of it working properly.

So Innocent:
People must make a will save or have troubles attacking her because she looks so innocent.

Psionically Imbued Dress:
This Dress is the one nice thing Michelle can ever remember someone doing for her. After her first successful heist with the crew, the leader decided to buy her a nice new dress as a thanks for her help. She grew immediately attached to it - Psychically, not metaphorically. It has been imbued with her hopes and dreams, becoming the ultimate security blanket/emotional crutch.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 am

Updated the Ivory Knight here. I think it now fits the concept you were asking for.

Ashathor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ashathor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:15 am

I am unsure how green you want them, but I have a few other ideas that may or may not fit. Not really sure I want to try for a mentor-like role, at least not yet, so here are a few more possible pl 8 rookies.

A magic-user who's personality is altered based on her non-costumed, or two powered forms (divine and 'unholy' magic). Unholy is more self-centered, the other a saint, but normally she is more balanced, a caring person who likes to enjoy herself. No matter the form she is still somewhat the same person, and her goals are mostly the same, though her behavior does become very different. While she has the ability to wield magic, it is very crude and limited without proper training.

A melee-force wielder who is thrust into this new life of super-powers from living a simple 'normal' life. He has increased strength and agility, but little if any skill in combat before hand. His manipulation over his force-projection is limited to self-protection, for now at least. He is hesistant in a fight, uncertain of his abilities to survive or help others. He does his best that he can, not wanting to let others down.

A clumsy, but very intelligent and good-hearted girl. She was afflicted with a disease since birth, slowly decaying her at an increasing rate. Through her research for a cure, she had made small regenerative serums and sold them to fund her research. Eventually she created a cure, though along with unintended side-effects she was too crippled a state during it's creation to remember how to recreate it. The serum gave her rapid-regenerative abilities, the ability to grow to much larger sizes, and immunity to many of the chemicals and other substances she used.

Those are the last three concepts I can think of that might fit the campaign. I do have another one, but she's a mix of Cortana/Oracle so can't really see her being a good candidate unless I missed something. If none of these work, then best of luck to the rest of the candidates.

Phantom Mouse
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Phantom Mouse » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 am

I've edited, it its original thread, Juice according to how we were talking here. I've got Goldmax meeting Olliver during one of his episodes, and resulting it in Goldmax giving him a prototype control unit in the form of a jacket.

I've also altered the sheet as we talked about as well.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 am

@Jemal: my first notes on Bittersweet's build:

Telepathy: You don't need the Mind reading tacked onto it. You already have Mind Reading with a similar drawback to it in your array. So just have Sleective Area Communication with the flaws on it. It's cheaper. And simpler.

Mental Sponge: What? What is the description you gave it, and the Side Effect? Another thing, it's rather badly/incorrectly written as a power, Variable is a standard action activation while the enhanced INT is a free action... And you can't make the Variable power Permanent duration as I recall (Continuous, but not Permanent). You would either need to scrap this power, re-work it, or throw it into the array after reworking it, because it's a bit strange as it is right now.

So innocent: This requires a DC 34 Will save to beat... pretty sure that breaks caps. :wink: If it was Enhanced Trait 8 (Dodge +4, Parry +4), that would be within PL limits. Take the points you save everywhere else to rectify this, because at the moment, it's waaaay over caps.

Psionically infused Dress: I don't know why, but this feels more like a Complication to me. It seems more like she has them as normal powers and has the Power Loss (Losing the Dress) complication. You have the points to do that (if you drop the immunity and both the indestructible and always clean features) and it may make more sense that way. Otherwise, anyone who steals the dress can use those enhancements, which doesn't seem right.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Banshee

Stats are up for Banshee, but she is 11 point over on pp. I'm going to continue to work on trimming, but suggestions on where to do so (or discoveries of incorrect math giving me more points) would be greatly appreciated.

Powerwise, I tried to model them after a Banshee, but took the stance that they are all the result of vibration control, she just isn't aware of it.

Let me know what you think of if you have any questions.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Postby hero4hire » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:04 pm

I have had this character kicking around for years. I will see if I can find his full background and come up with some updated stats.

Watchdog: a former special ops specialist Warren Munroe used his metahuman abilities to become the superheroic "Wardog". Unfortunately Warren was brutally injured in the line of duty and crippled Warren still tries to serve as a hero even though wheelchair bound. Using his superb tactical abilities and his Sensory Link powers to mentor and aid less experienced heroes.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Telepathy: You don't need the Mind reading tacked onto it. You already have Mind Reading with a similar drawback to it in your array. So just have Sleective Area Communication with the flaws on it. It's cheaper. And simpler.

It's usable when I'm not actively mind reading with my psychic array, and Mind Reading is the way to get 'responses' from people within the telepathy range.. you speak to them and read their mind for responses. Also this isn't ALWAYS backfiring like her array.
She's been practicing her telepathy, so she has a bit of control over it when she's not using a lot of power.

Mental Sponge: What? What is the description you gave it, and the Side Effect? Another thing, it's rather badly/incorrectly written as a power, Variable is a standard action activation while the enhanced INT is a free action... And you can't make the Variable power Permanent duration as I recall (Continuous, but not Permanent). You would either need to scrap this power, re-work it, or throw it into the array after reworking it, because it's a bit strange as it is right now.

Description: She subconsciously absorbs information(enhanced int/skills/variable) from everyone else within range.
I forgot it still had side effect on it, I'll have to fix that.
Powers don't have to be the same duration unless they're linked
I didn't make the Variable permanent.
*I think you're under the impression that these powers are Linked, when they are not. They are just gathered together under the same name b/c they have the same descriptor.
Seems fairly straightforward to me.

So innocent: This requires a DC 34 Will save to beat... pretty sure that breaks caps. :wink: If it was Enhanced Trait 8 (Dodge +4, Parry +4), that would be within PL limits. Take the points you save everywhere else to rectify this, because at the moment, it's waaaay over caps.

I just figured it would max itself out at PL Cap. I can put a quirk on the power limiting the DC.

Psionically infused Dress: I don't know why, but this feels more like a Complication to me. It seems more like she has them as normal powers and has the Power Loss (Losing the Dress) complication. You have the points to do that (if you drop the immunity and both the indestructible and always clean features) and it may make more sense that way. Otherwise, anyone who steals the dress can use those enhancements, which doesn't seem right.

Yeah, I thought of doing it as a complication, I switched to the removable to get the indestructible/clean aspects (which are mostly fluff), but I could always just 'say' that the dress is indestructible & clean, I guess.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative"; 3e; PL 8/10 (Recruitme

Postby Spectrum » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:03 pm

whiteprofit wrote:I don't have much of any, especially in way of gods and goddesses. I just assumed they must have had some kind of interaction from your letter, probably a single adventure, but epic enough that it created a "call in a favor" relationship between them.

I'm more interested in hearing what Ingrid's home life is like. and does she commune with the gods directly, or via some oracle device?

I added several more seeds for us to use in the game. Hopefully, I'm helping to flesh her out rather than drowning you in details. I'm struggling between your three paragraph guideline and letting her really flourish.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Don't worry. I'll read them and summarize for WP if his attention wanders ;}

Return to “M&M Game Room”