Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative" (Closed to New Interest) 3e

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative" (Closed to New Interest) 3e

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Hero Apprenticeship Initiative - The Super Framily Plan
3e; PL 8 or PL 10

Early 2013 - Location Unknown
“Yeah." Max chuckled. "Makes you think there should be some kind of superhero apprenticeship program or something. Show the kids the ropes, tell them how things work."

-- Goldmax to the Technologist

The Story: The elder heroes of Freedom City have been called to action and aid in teaching, mentoring, and in some cases monitoring the younger generation of rising supers. The premise of this campaign started as two super parents trying to figure out how they could get their super kids trained, when their kids won't listen to them/they are over protective. Goldmax, the NPC who will be heading up this 'initiative', is somewhere in his forties to early fifties, and will be looking for heroes he knows well and would trust with his own kids.

The Setting: This will be in the same Freedom City as shock’s Super Family game. This will run as a separate, spin-off series with very little overlap and, to date, no cross overs planned between us. Recruitment is equally open to everyone.

The Cast: I’m looking for 4 to 5 players to be either: a PL 10 "Older Heroes" who have established a name for themselves and have something to offer the future generation of heroes; Or a PL 8 "Younger Super" who is green and fresh to the scene of hero-ing, or is at least open to being taught by an older teacher.

Each character will be/has been approached by Goldmax to participate because of something he saw in them. This goes for teachers and students. You are not part of a school, or formal process. This idea is in its infancy. He's just making connections for people and then it's on your own after that. Relationships between teacher and student are what they decide to make of it. As the kids in Super Family are figuring out their boundaries with their parents in Super Family, I expect hero and 'sidekick' to go through the same thing here. It could get tense every now and then, and hopefully makes for good drama and story telling.
Teachers: This means your character should know Goldmax to some degree and he trusts you, or your reputation precedes you so much that he would approach you anyway. I, like Goldmax, am going to be very picky about who gets these positions.

Students: You're were put on Goldmax's radar because of something or someone, and you've accepted the idea that you have a teacher now. You can be reluctant if it fits circumstance and character, and you haven't signed anything formal, but you have made at least a small commitment to try this out.

Or put another way:
The_Watchman wrote:My understanding is the PCs will be part of what is basically Big Brother/Big Sister for superheroes. A mentor is paired with a kid in need and acts as a parental figure. The PCs would not be a team per se but would be working together (since they're organized by GoldMax) as the younger heroes learn the biz. Kind of like shock's game but without blood ties.

Rule Notes: Impervious works at full rank rather than half. Penetrating works as written.

Submitted Characters:
Ivory King - Evolucion: Multidimension, stoic knight made of ivory.
Kate X - robertness: Strong, teen-like AI system inside a durable robot
Shadow - Shadow13 (Background Only): Soldier returned home with hi-tech
Mary Mercury - the_Watchman: WWII vet and retired secret agent with flight and super speed
Miyamoto - Mechmaster: Magic using teen
Neuron - kenmadragon: A 20-something college grad with psychic powers
Gladius - Bladewind: Super-boy like hero from Claremont
Backlash - levinwurth: Psychic kid with a dark past
Fusion - CaptainChaos: Radiation energy controller student with nerdy parents
Claire - Weyrd: Sonic control teen
Bittersweet - Jemal: Homeless psychic with negative consequences to her powers
Alienconda - SilvercatMoonpaw: Alien Snake woman (Interest Withdrawn)
Doc Clockwork - Mr.Sandman: alternate dimension inventor and high tech armor user.
Ingrid Rowandottir - Spectrum: Teen pagan who can turn into a giant creature
Juice - Phantom Mouse: Homeless teen with uncontrollable electric powers
Last edited by whiteprofit on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Hero Apprenticeship Program; 3e; PL 8/10 (Recruitment)

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:12 pm

So it's canon Freedom City with the addition of the Andersens being out there?
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

I've mostly been using Freedom City just for the map so far so it's wide open. Very little is definitely in or out.

In other words, it's flexible. ;}

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Shock wrote:I've mostly been using Freedom City just for the map so far so it's wide open. Very little is definitely in or out.

In other words, it's flexible. ;}

Cool. Now if I could just decide on something to submit and if it would be better as a mentor or a student...

Edit: I think I've got an idea. A heroine that's bit fighting the good fight since World War II and kept relatively young by her powers. Inspired by this.

I'm thinking either a speedster or an agile flyer of some kind.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:34 pm

I'd be down for this.

I'll have a character posted soon.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:02 pm

The_Watchman wrote:Cool. Now if I could just decide on something to submit and if it would be better as a mentor or a student...

Edit: I think I've got an idea. A heroine that's bit fighting the good fight since World War II and kept relatively young by her powers. Inspired by this.

[[Picture]]
I'm thinking either a speedster or an agile flyer of some kind.

That sounds fun to me. I always thought my Grandma would have made a great super hero. She's pretty cool.

dreamking89 wrote:I'd be down for this.

I'll have a character posted soon.

Can't wait to see it :)
Last edited by whiteprofit on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm giving this one some thought. Currently leaning to the student side of the equation. How young are we talking? Although the concept I'm currently toying with is a robotic hero, so age is very relative.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 pm

No younger than 16, I'm thinking. I don't really want to beat up on anyone younger than that. lol.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 am

I'm intrigued and will start working on something.

I had a question about power level. In the Family game, only Kitt has a major obvious super power- gravity/telekinesis. Super intelligence and gadget'teering are more common. Mom 'just' has a touch of animal communication and uses it very effectively. Are you planning on staying with a similar power level?

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 am

Spectrum wrote:Are you planning on staying with a similar power level?

No, not on purpose. All powers are options, within reason.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:00 am

Cool. An ancient master type sounds like fun.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Ivory King

Postby Evolución » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm

This seems like an interesting game idea. I'd like to play a mentor, if odd. My concept is this:

The Ivory King

Everyone knows the story of the Ivory King, a recognized, if odd at times, hero of Freedom city: A historian specialized and obsessed with medieval times, Ken McWroth worked hard at the university of Freedom City. He came to know of a respected physics professor and researched, Dr. Tobias Murdock, that had been recently shunned by the scientific community by his attempts to create a time machine. Wonder lust guiding his steps, Ked decided to help the man build his machine, and perhaps transport him to the times of old.
But Murdock had other plans. He wished to contact the dark entities of the Otherworld, powerful beings that try constantly to rip the fabric of reality. When the machine was completed, Murdock called Ken.
Ken rushed to the lab, to find the impressive device humming with electricity. He had brought the clothing, the archaic weapons and armor , so the people of the past will recognize him as one of them.
What followed could only be imagined. The machine opened a rift in reality, and the entities of the Otherworld gazed upon Ken with their many eyes. Murdock was expecting the entities to take Ken as a sacrifice and grant him power, but instead of that, the things started imbuing Ken with energy from the Otherworld, to turn him into a dark avatar to bring chaos and destruction. Realizing his mistake, Murdock tried to close the rift, and the only viable option was to destroy the machine he had created.
In the aftermatch, Ken was no more. There stood a creature of ivory flesh, clad in armor and wielding a sword. The Ivory Knight was born that day, a being wielding the power of the other side, for the good and just inhabitants of Freedom City.
In the twenty years that followed, The Ivory Knight fought the forces of evil, usually by himself, as his honourable and stoic demeanour made it hard for him to ask for help. But sometimes other super heroes of Freedom city would lend a much needed hand to the Knight in his quests, notably when Murdock escaped prison for the first time, Goldmax was able to thwart the evil mastermind's plans before he could drain the Ivory Knight of his powers. Since then the Knight has a good relationship with Goldmax, and both heroes would likely work with each other.
Lately, Ken has been hearing the whispers of the entities of the Otherworld, the exhort him to spread chaos and destruction, as they have since he was touched by their energy. He had shunned thier evil commands since then, but their voice is getting louder, harder to shun. He fears that perhaps one day he will no longer be able to contain them. It was because of that that the Ivory Knight was accepted to participate in Goldmax's initiative to teach the future generation of heroes the trade. Perhaps the Ivory Knight was not the most talkative of individuals, but Ken was; and he could use the opportunity to teach these young heroes to be, how to deal with him, if need arises...
Murdock is rumoured to have escaped prison a second time, and secretly working to steal the otherworld boon from Ken once again...

Name: Ivory King, once Ken McWroth

Complications
Affected by the Otherworld: Sometimes, his connection with the otherworld affects his mind.
Stoical : The King is not well versed in conversation. He suffers a penalty to all social interaction skills
Enemy : Tobias Murdock, the mad scientist responsible for his present state

Abilities ( 44 pp)
Strength 5 , Stamina 6 , Agility 3 , Dexterity 5 , Fighting 4 , Intellect 0 , Awareness 3 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 35 pp)
- Magical ivory ( Energy absortion 8 : Absorbs magical energy, enhances growth ) · 8 point/s
- Mental ivory (AP: Energy absortion 8 : Absorbs psychic energy, enhances growth ) · 1 point/s
- Icy ivory ( AP: Energy absortion 8 : Absorbs Cold energy, enhances STR ) · 1 point/s
- Otherwordly Ivory ( Growth Density 1 : Str and Sta +2 ) · 4 point/s

- Ivory heart ( Immunity 10 : Emotion, interaction skills, Flaw: Uncontrollable ) · 5 point/s

- Magic proof ( Immunity 5 : Magic damage ) · 5 point/s
- Psychic proof ( AP: Immunity 5 : psychic damage ) · 1 point/s
- Ice proof ( AP: Immunity 5 : Cold damage ) · 1 point/s

- Ivory Sword ( STR extras : Multiattack, Secondary effect ) · 9 point/s

Advantages ( 30 pp)
Imp. Aim 1 , All out attack 1 , Close attack 6 , Takedown 2 , Ranged attack 5 , Equipment 2 , Imp. Initaitve 1 , Throwing mastery 9 , Move by action 1 , Power attack 1 , Teamwork 1

Skills ( 17 pp)
Acrobatics 6 (+ 9 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 6 (+ 11 ), Insight 6 (+ 9 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 5 ), Perception 8 (+ 11 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Stealth 8 (+ 11 ),

Offence
Initiative: 7

Throw + 10 Attack for DC: 25 Range: Ranged ( )
Unarmed + 10 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Melee ( )
Throwing knives (Shuriken) + 10 Attack for DC: 25 Range: Multiattack ( )
Sword + 10 Attack for DC: 23 Range: Melee ( )

Defence ( 24 pp)
Dodge: 10 Parry: : 10
Toughness: 9
Fortitude: 10
Will: 10

[b] Equipment[/size] Cost
Chain mail 3
Sword 4
dagger 2
Shuriken 3
Last edited by Evolución on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby bi0philia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm

I'd be interested, Probably from the student angle

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Hmmmm...since I can't get you to app my games anymore WP, I think I'll have to app this one...maybe... probably. I've got an idea or two for an energy controller or paragon...mentor-type to play.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Would it be terribly gauche to make a student and mentor version of the same character? I'd originally intended my Speedster as a mentor hero from WWII but she could just as easily be a young legacy of the WWII hero since the submissions seem to be skewing toward more mentors than students.
Builds

Return to “M&M Game Room”