Hero Apprenticeship "Initiative" (Closed to New Interest) 3e

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: Hero Apprenticeship Program; 3e; PL 8/10 (Recruitment)

Post by Spectrum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm also starting to think about the student side. A big bouncing brick-lette might be a lot of fun to play.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Hmmmm...since I can't get you to app my games anymore WP, I think I'll have to app this one...maybe... probably. I've got an idea or two for an energy controller or paragon...mentor-type to play.
I would be honored.
Plus, who wouldn't want to be your sidekick?! I'm going to get a rush of apps now! :mrgreen:
The_Watchman wrote:Would it be terribly gauche to make a student and mentor version of the same character? I'd originally intended my Speedster as a mentor hero from WWII but she could just as easily be a young legacy of the WWII hero since the submissions seem to be skewing toward more mentors than students.
Build the character you want to play. If it is wildly skewed one way or the other, I will ask people to switch later to make the game work, and I've already noted you are willing to switch.
Evolución wrote:- Force proof (AP: Immunity 5: Force damage) ·1 point/s
What defines Force Damage? This sounds broader, like bludgeoning damage to me.
Also, I really like the concept of the Ivory Knight, transformed by magic and intention, but I think he needs some refining. As is, I don't know that the build is working very strongly for you or fully represents the description of him. If you want some suggestions, I'd be happy to take a closer look at it later today. For example, I was expecting to see some form of Immunity Life Support or Poison/Disease at least, over Magic Absorption. And Ivory can be burnt, it just takes a lot. So maybe ablative or half effect would be appropriate for the fire immunity.

My last, tiny concern is, how stoic and unapproachable is this knight? I like the idea of a tough, honor driven, unemotional teacher. I'm not so sure anyone would contact him if he was too un-relatable though, to work with young adults. Over all, I think you're onto something great. Just needs some tweaks.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:23 pm

bi0philia wrote:I'd be interested, Probably from the student angle
Spectrum wrote:I'm also starting to think about the student side. A big bouncing brick-lette might be a lot of fun to play.
As I said to The_Watchman, I would recommend building the character you want to play first and switching if needed later. That said, it is easier to fill in teacher NPCs than students, and there have been more mentors mentioned than not. So, if you are leaning toward younger at all, I would go for it.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Interesting. I've got a PL 10 master mentalist who could likely fit into Freedom City rather well. Should be interesting as he's like a college aged Prof X, so he's the perfect type of mentor!

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm

kenmadragon wrote:... so he's the perfect type of mentor!
Did you see the end of Xmen: First Class? ... lol ;)

Mechmaster
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by Mechmaster » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:40 pm

I'm thinking of a submitting an a student character, a young Onmyuoji mage.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm

whiteprofit wrote:
kenmadragon wrote:... so he's the perfect type of mentor!
Did you see the end of Xmen: First Class? ... lol ;)
Well, okay, so young Prof X has some flaws. But failure is but the stepping stone to success!

That and there's no way he's going into the field physically. He's more likely to move to the sidelines, not being a real threat while his mind simply assaults you mentally with his lightning fast psychic attacks. And Neuron - this mentalist - is good enough to make himself barely noticeable while he's in your heads (Subtle+Insidious makes a dangerous mental combination).

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Lol. Looking forward to seeing him.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Which ruleset are you using for impervious?

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Spectrum wrote:Which ruleset are you using for impervious?
Impervious works at full rank rather than half. Penetrating works as written.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Shadow13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:48 pm

So would a person who a crime fighter who uses a suit fit into this. I was thinking military Vet who comes back and creates a suit to fight crime an has gadgets?
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Post by whiteprofit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Yup. 90% of powers are welcome. Just the crazy ones that everyone red flags are out. (Multiply, Summon a million monsters, Time Control...)

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Post by robertness » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Kate X
Manufacturer's Official Designation: Universal Robotics Model K8-X
Appearance
Height: 5'
Weight: 150 lbs
Age: Kate X has been activated for one year, but its personality module approximates a human in their mid to late teens. Kate's vocal synthesizer is equipped with a feminine voice bank to match the personality module.
Eyes: Glowing blue binocular sensors
Kate X is a robot covered in gleaming white ceramic-steel armor with black articulation joints and attachment points. Any record of why its auditory sensor units and emergency blast shield were decorated with a floral motiff were lost when the Universal Robotics advanced research labs were nearly destroyed. Regardless, Kate X says it likes the flowers because they are aesthetically pleasing.

Background

Universal Robotics is a corporation specializing in industrial robots. They have enjoyed a long line of success with simple assembly line robots and remote control drones for bomb disposal and salvage operations. The K8 series was intended to be a tremendous leap forward as a truly autonomous robot with fully functioning Artificial Intelligence. The K8 robots were designed as the first generation capable of performing complex and hazardous tasks such as search and rescue and deep space exploration without human oversight.

About one year ago, the Universal Robotics labs debuted two K8 prototypes designated K8-X and K8-Y. The two robots were identical except that K8-X had white armor and a female voice module and K8-Y had gunmetal gray armor and a male voice.

During their initial tests, the Kates, as the researchers started calling the robots, performed well beyond their design specifications. When it came to the sophistication of their AI, some of the scientists feared that the Kates were performing too well. There were signs that the robots were displaying sentience and emotion, traits not called for in the spec sheets. In the X unit, these signs were endearing: Kate X seemed eager to please the researchers and strove to perform additional tasks. The Y unit was troubling: It would refuse to perform assigned tasks, even claiming to be damaged to get out of tests it found distasteful.

Matters came to a head when the robots were assigned a very advanced rescue simulation. Kate X rescued the victims in record time, although it suffered simulated damage that would have destroyed it. When Kate Y was presented with the same scenario, it refused to expose its own chassis to damage. The lead researcher confronted Kate Y about its refusal to obey orders and Kate Y slapped him hard enough to send the scientist flying. That night, Universal Robotics's executive committee made a necessary decision. The K8 project needed to be abandoned and the Kates shut down and scrapped.

As it always happened, Kate X was the first robot to be shut down as UR's bureaucracy stuck rigidly to alphabetical order. There were tears in the eyes of a few technicians as they came to deactivate the white robot. For its part, Kate X accepted its fate in good stride even guessing it might see the humans again some day.

Perhaps the Y unit overheard the scientists bidding farewell to its counterpart, or perhaps it deduced their intentions. When the technicians came for Kate Y, it was unwilling to be shut down and ready to stop the technicians. The gray robot attacked its creators with lethal force and intention. It flew into a series of furious assaults in an effort to escape from the lab. Universal's security forces did not have the firepower to stop the homicidal robot and the military would not arrive in time to prevent its escape. The laboratory had only one way to stop Kate Y: reactivate Kate X.

The fight between the Kates was epic in duration and intensity. Kate X could not keep its robotic sibling from escaping the lab, but it could mitigate the destruction Y was intent on spreading throughout the city. The X unit was barely functional when it finally immobilized the Y unit.

Kate X was surprised when the lab workers did not shut it down after the fight. The Universal Robotics executives could not turn their backs on their savior. Universal Robotics abandoned further work on the K8 series, but they repaired Kate X. Kate X is no longer running simulations in UR's labs. Kate X has been placed in the Hero Apprenticeship Program in the hopes that a human mentor will show the robot how, when, and why to best use its abilities.

Statistics
Kate X - PL 8

Strength 6, Stamina -, Agility 0, Dexterity 2, Fighting 5, Intellect 3, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative 2, Languages 1, Power Attack, Takedown

Skills
Investigation 3 (+6), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+5), Technology 5 (+8)

Powers
Ceramic-steel Armor: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness; Impervious)
Comports: Other Communication 1 (Sense Type: Electronic; Check Required: DC 11 - Technology, Concentration, Notes: This is intended to represent Kate's ability to use its USB ports and similar devices to directly interface with a wide variety of electronic devices.)
Damage Control Nanites: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds)
Immunity to Fortitude Effects
Robo Karate: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 23; Penetrating 7)
. . Rocket Fist: Line Area Damage 4 (Alternate; DC 19; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long)

Offense
Initiative +8
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 16)
Robo Karate: Strength-based Damage 2, +8 (DC 23)
Rocket Fist: Line Area Damage 4 (DC 19)
Throw, +2 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 21)

Complications
But I'm the Good Robot!: Many people still remember Kate Y's murderous rampage and suspect that Kate X will turn rogue at some future date. Even if they are reminded that Kate X was almost destroyed in stopping its sibling's killing spree, they cannot be swayed that Kate X does not mean them harm. Kate X is intent to win the doubters' trust one noble act at a time. (Motivation: Acceptance)

Enemy - Kate Y: The Model K8-Y robot miraculously escaped from being sent to the recycling center after its confrontation with Kate X. Rumor has it that the homicidal Kate Y was salvaged by an evil scientist intent on using the automaton to pursue his own nefarious agenda. However, it's doubtful that Kate Y will be content to do some "dumb meat bag's" bidding if it is long denied the opportunity to get revenge on the robotic counterpart that chose to defend humanity over Kate Y.

Motivation: Doing Good: Kate X takes Universal Robotics' intention to use the K8 series as servants and protectors of mankind very seriously. Since attaining sentience, it has acted to aid people in distress at every possible opportunity. Some observers may claim it's just Kate's programming, but the android will insist it is chosing to help. Because of its lack of immediate knowledge of human priorities, Kate sometimes has trouble weighing the relative importance of tasks: It is likely to devote its full attention to rescuing a kitten it sees in a tree even though it is aware of a burning school house a mile away.

Languages
Binary, English

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 6, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 26 + Powers 55 + Advantages 10 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 120

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2014 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Last edited by robertness on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Shadow13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Code Name Shadow
Real Name Jaun Nichols
Gender Male
Age 16
Height 5 9 Weight 155
Hair Color Black Eye Color Blue
Race Neo Human
Nationality Dual citizenship US and Brazil
Concept: Urban Ninja Parkour expert
Alternate Speedster
Background

Juan is born from a father who served in the US military became a cage fighter and met his mom while training in Brazil. His father was a neo human who was just quicker, healed faster than most people but not at super human levels. His mother was a gymnast and studied martial arts as well she was a low level neo human with bursts of speed due to adrenaline control. Juan inherited his abilities from bother parents but his power set is his own and an evolution of both his parents’ powers combined.

Juan has been training and in the Dojo since he was a baby always watching and later on mimicking everyone in the Dojo. Between the ages 5 and 7 he was running around mimicking forms and katas perfectly next to whoever was practicing. Once he saw someone execute a maneuver he could do it also. So he was trained at an early age and learned from every student and master who came in.

Flavor or how his combat reflexes work

Juan’s memory, adrenaline system, muscle control and nervous system are evolved and hyper active. He is constantly taking in information and his brain is on alert for danger. His natural ability to observe and learn is enhanced where he can perfectly mimic anyone’s physical action. This makes him a natural prodigy for physical skills and able to learn and speak other languages. It takes little effort to learn a physical movement while being taught which greatly reduces the time for him to learn and master martial arts styles, acrobatic and gymnastic skills. Combined with his perfect memory he can store endless information of fighting styles and physical skills.

Juan has an innate defensive and offensive natural ability. When facing a person his mind quickly assesses how good that person the person is and adjusts reflexes and adds styles to counter his opponent.

This of course leads to a very cocky teenager who has competed and won countless tournaments and competitions in martial arts and gymnastics. He has several black belts and countless trophies but he is a white belt when dealing with people outside the ring.

Disadvantages

Juan’s metabolism is overactive due to his enhanced brain activity and his healing ability. So he eats more than a normal person. He eats constantly and gains no weight. This could lead to a power loss if he doesn’t eat enough.

Jaun if in great danger can become a being of pure combat. Basically his self preservation part of his brain kicks in and all energy is focused in staying alive. He will attack anything that is hostile to himself and people he knows.
Last edited by Shadow13 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by The_Watchman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Mary Mercury
Real Name: Marie Herman (formerly Marie Hammer and Marie Simmons)
Alias: Marie Turner
Actual Age: 98
Apparent Age: 26
Hair Color: Strawberry Blond
Eye Color: Light Blue
Appearance: Beautifully shapely with long legs and a brilliant smile, Mary is the very definition of a bombshell. Her costume resembles that of a USO dancing girl in red, white, and blue. Her chest and earrings are adorned with a blue circle with a red dot in the middle (Royal Air Force roundels). Her gloves and headband bear stylized wings. Out of costume, Marie dyes her hair black and uses make-up to alter her appearance subtly enough to distinguish Marie Turner from Mary Mercury.
Personality: Seven decades of being a pin-up icon and a seductive secret agent have left Mary quite confident in her beauty. She is playfully flirty with friends and coldly manipulative with enemies that fall prey to her looks. Having seen far too many friends die in the line of duty, she can come off as rather flippant and slow to show any real closeness with new acquaintances. Nonetheless, she holds heroism in high regard and is quick to encourage younger heroes (which these days seems to include everyone she knows that isn't an immortal Greek inventor).

Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 10/2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 5/1, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
Attractive 2, Benefit, Alternate Identity: Marie Turner, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Favored Environment: Aerial Combat, Improved Critical 2: Unarmed, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 3, Improved Smash, Luck 2, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+11), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+14/+10), Deception 13 (+14), Insight 4 (+6), Investigation 8 (+8), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 7 (+8)

Powers
Flight: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
. . Hyper-Flight: Flight 12 (Alternate; Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round; Distracting)
Hyper-Metabolism
. . Persistent Youth: Immunity 1 (Aging)
. . Regeneration: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
Super Speed Tricks: Quickness 10 (Perform routine tasks in -10 time ranks)
. . Flurry of Blows: Strength-based Strike 4 (Alternate; DC 21; Multiattack [2 extra ranks])
. . High Speed Strike: Strength-based Strike 4 (Alternate; DC 21; Penetrating 6)
Super-Speed: Enhanced Trait 43 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+14), Parry +7 (+14), Agility +8 (+10), Fighting +4 (+5), Close Combat +4 (+14), Advantages: Defensive Roll 2, Improved Initiative 3, Uncanny Dodge)

Offense
Initiative +22
Flurry of Blows: Strength-based Strike 4, +14 (DC 21, Crit 18-20)
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 12)
High Speed Strike: Strength-based Strike 4, +14 (DC 21, Crit 18-20)
Throw, +0 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +14 (DC 17, Crit 18-20)

Defense
Dodge 14/10, Parry 14/7, Fortitude 10, Toughness 6/4, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 74 + Advantages 13 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 150

Complications
Enemies: Nazis, White Supremacists, and Other Scum: Mary has a number of enemies both old and new. She has particular animosity toward Nazis and anyone that embraces their destructive, hateful ideology. She has matched blows with Superior, White Knight, and many others over the years. Her ex-husband, Major Mercury was turned into the villainous Iron Hammer and may also still be out there.
Fame: Superheroine: Mary has been a hero for the better part of 75 years and is world famous as a result. She has seen generations of heroes come and go. She puts great value in teaching newer generations to be heroes worthy of those that came before. Her current civilian identity also possesses some fame as an actress.
Identity: Marie Herman: Mary Mercury is secretly Marie Herman although her civilian identity is currently Marie Turner, an actress. Her eternal youth has required her to adopt different identities over the years to conceal her lack of aging.

Background: Marie Herman was an agent of the British Secret Intelligence Service when the golden age of mystery men began. Although she was naturally gifted as a spy, Marie's gender ensured she was employed as little more than a secretary by the SIS. Her unwillingness to quietly comply with expectations led her to a seemingly dead end assignment on the secret Project: Uplift designed to create super-soldiers to combat the threat posed by the Axis' superhuman agents. While the government held little faith in the project, the first test subject, John Hammer, was granted incredible powers by the process. Unfortunately, the Axis had infiltrated the project. A group of saboteurs stole the research notes and killed the lead researchers. Although Hammer and Marie managed to capture the saboteurs, the research notes and serum were destroyed. Hammer was given the codename Major Mercury and quickly grabbed headlines as a costumed hero during the London Blitz. With the Major's support, Marie was appointed as SIS liason to the newly formed Allies of Freedom. While her primary purpose was organization and intelligence gathering, she quickly found herself caught up in superpowered conflicts as well. In one of these battles, Marie was grievously wounded and only a blood transfusion from Major Mercury was able to save her. As a result, Marie gained powers of her own and soon took to the Major's side as Mary Mercury. The sultry speedster quickly gained fame among the allied nations with a particular following among Allied Airmen who took to painting pinups of her on their bombers. After fighting side by side for years, Marie and John had fallen in love and as the Reich collapsed and Japan seemed on the verge of surrender, the two retired to be wed. Unfortunately, this meant they were not present when the Nacht-Krieger slew most of the Allies of Freedom, which haunts Marie to this day.

After the war, Mary and Major Mercury remained active as superheroes, fighting against the remnants of the Axis powers then fighting against superhuman threats from the USSR. During the 50s, Major Mercury was reportedly killed in action but in reality, he had been captured by the KGB's metahuman division and changed mentally and physically into the cruel Iron Hammer. After several failed attempts to save her husband, Mary was forced into a life-and-death battle against the Iron Hammer and his partner Red Sickle. The two Soviet agents seemingly perished in an explosion and Mary retired from the costumed life. In the 60s, she began operating as an agent of the newly formed AEGIS, working for long-time friend and, for a time time, husband, Jack Simmons. She spent the decade using her powers and skills to fight a secret war behind the scenes against SHADOW. She returned to costume life in the 70s for a short period before retiring over conflicts with the British government in the latter part of the decade, mirroring the anti-superhuman hysteria of Freedom City during Franklin Moore's tenure. She returned to the fight during the Terminus Invasion but retired afterward. It seemed the world had another new generation of heroes ready to take the place of heroes like Mary and the seemingly innumerable friends she lost over the years.

Mary Mercury found retirement suited her and turned her ageless beauty and social talents to work as an actress. She found the position of a different kind of role model to suit her well and she was prepared to leave a lifetime of costumed heroics behind for good this time. But a request from the hero Goldmax brought her back to Freedom City in the hopes of assisting a new generation.
Last edited by The_Watchman on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds