Justice League: The Animated Series (Interest/Recruiting)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Justice League: The Animated Series (Interest/Recruiting

Postby ecar369 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:26 pm

@jemal- A minion is a minion is a minion. Whether you're commanding henchmen, or summing the undead, telling minions to do something takes a move action.

Deflect functions like the Defend action, which is an opposed check using your appropriate active defense. As such, I don't think Attack Specialization is actually appropriate for it. Especially since your Deflect rank is used as your modifier, so at base, it would cost 1pp per +1 to your opposed check modifier, but with Attack Specialization each 1pp would get you a +2.

By my count, your Portal alternate effect costs 52pp, is it maybe not supposed to have Change Direction and Change Velocity?

For Dante, you seem to have forgotten that skills are now 1pp/4 ranks. :P

Analytical can only be applied to a sense that's first Acute, so you've gotta make his Radio sense Acute too. Tactile senses are already Accurate by default, so you don't have to pay for that.
"Even if you have a lot of hit points, a dagger through the eye is a dagger through the eye."

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Quoting not working well on my phone so here goes:

Re minions - fair enough, your game your ruling. :)

Re:deflect - the accuracy is for the reflect/redirect. It says make an attack with your attack bonus, I wasn't quite sure how to handle that.

Re: portal- yeah probably. I'll fix.

Re: Dantes skills - yes, thank you. :)

Re: radio - the base radio skill is ranged, radius, and acute by default.
*EDIT: And by 'radio skill', I of course mean 'radio sense'
Last edited by jemal on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:01 am

@Mark Reuter- After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that Niche Protection only actually applies to Power Level limits, whereas taking an extra rank of Impervious on a defense that isn't as high is simply invalid in the rules. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to veto your use of Niche Protection.
"Even if you have a lot of hit points, a dagger through the eye is a dagger through the eye."

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:11 am

Fair enough! What is the maximum trade off for a PL 13 character?

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:23 am

Updated most recent Rift Sheet

Changes: altered portal, fixed Dante's skills. (Notes on both with sheet).

I believe the Radio concern was addressed, so that just leaves the "attack specialization: Deflect" question. Now that I'm not writing on my phone at work, I can go into a bit more detail about it.
The Reflect & Redirect extras on Deflect say that when you deflect a power, you may make a 'normal attack check using your own attack modifier to hit', but I HAVE no appropriate modifier to attack with, so I was hoping to use an attack specialization to reflect that he's good at aiming the redirect attacks from his rifts. I put it at +12 to equal his PL, since there's no set save DC I figured the most fair attack bonus was just flat PL.

I've never really used reflect/redirect on a deflect before, so I hope this is OK?

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:38 am

Mark Reuter wrote:Fair enough! What is the maximum trade off for a PL 13 character?

I wasn't really considering doing a "max' trade-off. But ask yourself, do you really need more than 18 ranks of Impervious Toughness?

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:10 am

Okay I think I've got an idea, but before I commit to closely to it I want to know how you feel about two parts of the character:

Shapechange: Variable 10 [50 variable points](Continuous, Move Action)

Attack Specialization (close attack shapeshift) 4

I'm willing to change either of these for whatever reason.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:39 am

So now I have three pp to spend. Suggestions?

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:40 pm

jemal wrote:The Reflect & Redirect extras on Deflect say that when you deflect a power, you may make a 'normal attack check using your own attack modifier to hit', but I HAVE no appropriate modifier to attack with, so I was hoping to use an attack specialization to reflect that he's good at aiming the redirect attacks from his rifts. I put it at +12 to equal his PL, since there's no set save DC I figured the most fair attack bonus was just flat PL.

I've never really used reflect/redirect on a deflect before, so I hope this is OK?

Yea, Attack Specialization (Deflected Attacks) is fine.

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:45 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:Okay I think I've got an idea, but before I commit to closely to it I want to know how you feel about two parts of the character:

Shapechange: Variable 10 [50 variable points](Continuous, Move Action)

Attack Specialization (close attack shapeshift) 4

I'm willing to change either of these for whatever reason.

Shapechange is fine, although I'm curious as to why it needs to be continuous.

What exactly would your Attack Specialization be applying to?

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Mark Reuter wrote:So now I have three pp to spend. Suggestions?

A rank or two of Improved Initiative might not be a bad idea, so you've at least got some bonus. And if you really wanna hammer home the "invulnerability", Diehard might suit you.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:01 pm

ecar369 wrote:Shapechange is fine, although I'm curious as to why it needs to be continuous.

What exactly would your Attack Specialization be applying to?

Doesn't matter any more: I scrapped that idea.

This game is perhaps the hardest to come up with the right idea for.

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:10 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:Doesn't matter any more: I scrapped that idea.

This game is perhaps the hardest to come up with the right idea for.

Oh, gee.....uh, why do you think that is? :oops:

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:14 pm

It's a combination of my current imagination problems (at least with regards to superheroes) and the sheer gravitas of the source material.

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:30 am

Ok, last new thing to add, I swear :P :

Combat:
- Knockback Rules: Any time a character fails a Toughness check by two degrees (inflicting a Dazed condition), they may suffer knockback. Subtract the character's Knockback Modifier (Toughness rank + Growth rank + relevant Feature rank) from the rank of the damaging effect. The target is knocked back that distance value. A result of –5 or less results in no knockback. –4 or –3 means the character falls prone in roughly the same spot. The character suffers additional damage equal to the knockback rank or the Toughness of any obstacle, whichever is less. The obstacle suffers damage equal to the knockback rank; if this breaks the obstacle, the character keeps going the remainder of the knockback distance. If the obstacle is another character, both suffer damage equal to the knockback rank. The character ends up prone and must get back up normally.

Return to “M&M Game Room”