Justice League: The Animated Series (Interest/Recruiting)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Justice League: The Animated Series (Interest/Recruiting

Postby ecar369 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 am

Adventure Dan wrote:Made little changes to Flash based on what you said, ecar369. Dropped Immunity to Friction Heat in favor of a second rank of Rapid Iterative Attack. But Wally? Concentrating? Bah. :)

Haha, good point. :lol:

Sheet looks good!
"Even if you have a lot of hit points, a dagger through the eye is a dagger through the eye."

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:13 am

All right, Here we go.
As with all my characters, Build notes follow the character sheet.

Rift - PL 12 (180 PP)
Background:
Hey. My name's Rift, and I'll be Jemal's application to your 'game'. About now, you're probably thinking to yourself 'oh great, Another fourth wall breaking Deadpool ripoff'. Well sir, to that I would have to say no.. no no no HELL no. First off, I'm not crazy... I don't hear voices in my head, I don't TALK to the voices in my head which I don't hear, and I certainly don't go around acting like I'm some fictional character. I don't WANT people to know I can see through the veil between worlds.

See, I don't actually break the fourth wall.. That would imply that I realize I'm inside a work of fiction, when the reality is far more grande: We all are. Every Universe (Or Dimension, Plane, whatever you wannna call it) exists somewhere else as a work of fiction that people think they made up. But we're all real. Some of us have the ability to see or communicate across the dimensional barriers, to experience other parts of the multiverse. I developed this ability early on, but instead of going crazy or accepting that my world wasn't the real one, I spent my life searching for the truth. And I found it when I discovered the Quantum Force, the primal energy and will of the Multiverse itself. The essence of creation, a force of will with it's own machinations. Some call it God, Destiny, Karma.. I call it 'boss'.

The QForce sends us where we're needed. By 'us', I of course mean the Inter-Dimensional Intelligence Coalition - IDIC.. Though you may be familiar with a different version of the acronym ;). We travel between the realms, going where we are needed for as long as we're needed, because we're needed. The QForce empowers us each with abilities far exceeding the norm for our race.. in some cases giving us more or less, depending on what is needed in the realm we're going to, but we all have specialites. My specialty, for example, is movement.. I can open rifts in space time. I'm great at moving people and objects from one place to another, and occasionally through time.

So, what does all of this mean for you? Well, my good man, it means that the QForce thinks I'm needed in your.. 'game', and wants to send me to your world.
So, are you gonna say no to the Will of the Multiverse and possibly doom your entire world, or you gonna let me in?

Abilities: 16 pp
STR 0
STA 2 (4pp)
DEX 0
AGI 0
FGT 0
INT 2 (4pp)
AWE 2 (4pp)
PRE 2 (4pp)

Offenses:
Transport Objects: Perception Range, Will DC 18 (If attended), Move 6 tons.
Transport People: Perception Range, Will DC 22, Move 1 person.
Sudden Strike: +12 attack, Will DC 22 vs Dazed/Stunned; Toughness DC 27. (Indirect 4)
*Range: 300/600/1200' + 1800' teleport.*
Bombardment: +12 attack X3(Iterative 2), Toughness DC 25(Multi-attack, Penetrating, Secondary Effect, Distracting, Indirect 4)
*Range: 50/100/250'*
Black Hole: 60' Burst, Reflex DC 22, Toughness DC 27, Str Check DC 22 vs Movement towards hole (Concentration)

Defenses: (16pp)
Dodge: +14 (+14 Enhanced Impervious)
Parry: +14 (+14 Bracers)
Toughness: +10 (+2 Sta +8 Suit)
Fort +10 (8 base +2 Sta)
Will +10 (8 base +2 Awe)

Skills: (60 ranks = 15pp)
Bluff(+14/12), Computers(+8/2), Diplomacy(+8/6), Disable Device(+5/3), Gather Information(+12/10), Notice(+10/8), Pilot(+1/1), Search(+8/6), Sense Motive(+8/6), Survival(+5/3), Treatment(+5/3),
Knowledges: All +7 (Eidetic Memory)

Advantages: 15
Assessment, Benefit (Cipher), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Luck 7, Niche Protection: Luck, Seize Initiative, Tracking, Ultimate Will

Presence Bonuses: Set-up, Well Informed

Powers: 120
QForce Guidance/Genre Savvy: Luck Control 3 (Spend HP on other's behalf, Force Reroll, Negate HP/GM Fiat, Distracting -1/rank): 2/rank = 6pp

Protective Rifts: 28+1AP = 29pp
-Personal: Enhanced Dodge 14: (Sustained, Impervious +1/rank): 28pp
-AP: Extended: Deflect 14 (Reflect +1/rank, Redirect +1/rank, Limited: Dodge -1/rank): 2/rank= 28p

Rifts: 50p + 5 AP = 55 pp
-Primary: Personal Rift: 50p
Teleport 13 (Extended +1/rank, Increased Mass 8, Accurate, Change Direction, Change Velocity): 3/rank + 11 = 50p
-AP: Transport Objects: 50p
Teleport 8 (Attack +0/rank, Area Shapeable +1/rank, Perception Range +2/rank, Selective +1/rank, Limited: Objects -1/rank, Increased Mass 8, Change Direction, Change Velocity): 5/rank+10 = 50p
-AP: Transport People: 50p
Teleport 12 (Attack +0/rank, Will Save +0/rank, Perception Range +2/rank, Change Velocity, Change Direction): 4/rank+2 = 50
-AP: Sudden Strike: 16 + 25 + 9 = 50p
Affliction 12 (Will Save*Dazed/Stunned*, Ranged +1/rank, Limited Degree -1/rank, Instant Recovery -1/rank, Accurate 6, Indirect 4): 1/2 ranks + 10 = 16p
Linked: Damage 12 (Ranged+1/rank, Variable 1*physical damage types*): 2/rank +1 = 25
Linked: Teleport 6 (Standard Action -1/rank, Change Direction, Change Velocity, Turnabout): 1/rank +3 = 9p
-AP: Bombardment: 50p
Damage 10 (Ranged +1/rank, Multi-attack +1/rank, Secondary Effect +1/rank, Penetrating +1/rank, Distracting -1/rank, Accurate 6, Indirect 4, Iterative Attack 2, Reduced Range 2): 4/rank + 10 = 50p
-AP: Black Hole: 48p
-Move Object 12 (Ranged +1/rank, Area: Bust +2/rank, Damaging +1/rank, Limited Direction: Towards the Hole -1/rank, Concentration -1/rank): 4/rank = 48p

QForce Suit: 30p - 6 Removable = 24pp
-Protection 8: 8p
-Immunity 10(Life Support, Half Effect -1/rank): 5p
-Quick Change (Can look like any outfit): 1p
-Bracers: Enhanced Parry 14: 14p
-WristComp: Eidetic Memory, Enhanced Computers +4: 2p

Phased Linear Oscillating Transduction Device: 10p - 4 Easily Removable = 6pp
-Variable 2 (Uncontrollable -1/rank, Side Effect -1/rank): 10p

COST: 16 Abilities +16 Defenses +15 Skills +15 Advantages +120 Powers = 182/180

Complications:
Motivation: Doing Good: My primary drive is to help, it's why I'm here. Now that doesn't mean I can't ENJOY myself in the meantime, and I do a damn good job of that, but I Always try to do the right thing.
QForce Guidance: The QForce guides my actions, channeling it's will through the defacto 'powers that be' of whatever dimension I'm in. For the purposes of this game, that means you can pretty much tell me at any point to do something, give me an HP, and I'll do it b/c you speak for the QForce.
Arachnaphobia: *Shudder* Just thinking about the little buggers is making me crawl. Keep'em away form me, ok? If you send spiders at me, I'll probably freak out so bad you'll owe me TWO hero points! No? OK, fine, just one, but I'll probably use it to KILL THEM WITH FIRE.
Secret: Like I said, I don't want people knowing about my past or mission.
Doesn't Like Guns: I just don't.
Power Loss: Luck/Luck Control: My extradimensional knowledge and senses allow me to see openings and opportunities that others might miss, and my connection to the QForce allows me to alter minor things, but it still has to be explainable/plausible.
Power Loss: Bombardment: The rifts don't re-position, so If the target moves far enough away form the source of the initial bombardment, they can avoid the secondary effect.

Design Notes:
OK First off, Yes the point total is over, I figured I'd wait for feedback before fiddling the last few points into place, so it's not wasted effort if I have to change a dozen things.

Also, important note:
Luck Control and Plot Device are just for fun. If you don't like them, I'll drop'em and add more skills. Though the Luck Control IS balanced fairly well by the fact that it's a distracting power on a Dodge-based hero, and the Plot Device..

P.L.O.T. Device :
Yeah, it's exactly what it sounds like. It was created in another Universe and allowed people to hijack small portions of the QForce, so I had to go recover it because that's WAY too much power for anybody to have.. except, you know, a senior IDIC officer. Like me..
Anyways, An Uncontrolled Variable with a side effect = Perfect Plot Device. Uncontrolled is literally the 'plot device' flaw, and The Side Effect is that you can do bad things with it too if you like, whatever serves the 'Plot'

Niche Protection: Luck & Luck 7 :
Normally Luck is 1/2 PL, so I figured the Niche Protection would work on it, allowing 7 ranks. The reason I took so many is to showcase my dimensional awareness and the guidance of the Qforce. Edit Scene, Inspiration, Rerolls...

Protective Rifts:
Yes, this is Impervious Dodge. I'm very good at reactively opening rifts to swallow all manner of ranged attacks, though It doesn't work so good against perception based attacks or Melee attacks.
Extended: I can also extend my protective rifts to protect others, though I loose a lot of the protection for myself.

Personal Rift:
The earth's diameter is ~8000 miles, so my extended rank 13 teleport can jump straight through the earth to any other spot.

Sudden Strike:
This represents me pulling a sort of weapon out of the air and attacking with it - a sword, chain, whatever, it just does the same damage effect for simplicity.

Thematically, I disappear, reappear with the weapon attacking, then either stay where I attacked from or reappear somewhere else, though rules wise it's just Attack>Teleport or Teleport>Attack, with Indirect to account for the attack being able to come from anywhere.
I'm using ranged attack to represent that I can either attack then teleport, or teleport then attack, and don't have to end up either beside them or back where I started, though I threw on Turnabout so I can (B/c the Teleport is linked, I HAVE to teleport when I attack, so Turnabout allows me to teleport, attack, and return to where I was)
I also specifically left Accurate off this ability, so I have to be able to see where I'm teleporting - no 'Attack, teleport inside random building'

Transport Objects/People:
Yes, I can use these to deal damage in various ways, With change velocity/direction, I could effectively 'throw' people into walls, or drop objects on people, etc. though it will be fairly lackluster compared to my other attacks, so it's not exactly OP.
As Perception Range Powers, these will auto hit, and then it's just a standard Rank Resistance check. *Note if i use the Transport People, that they get a will save to not be teleported, and only have to worry about damage if they fail that).
Also, as with Sudden Strike, these attacks are Accurate, so I have to be able to see the destination.. No teleporting people so far out of the combat that they effectively can't return. (The rank of the teleport is for Save DC)

Bombardment:
This is my "you're going down" attack. I open dozens of rifts surrounding my target and start bombarding him with fast moving objects from every direction. The target is struck several times (Multi-attack & Iterative Attack), and the rifts last for several seconds, continuously bombarding him or her without any further direction from me (Secondary Effect). The objects are travelling so fast that they can penetrate even the toughest armour.

Black Hole:
Arguably my 'ultimate attack', I can create a Rift to a powerful gravitational force, which begins pulling everything nearby into the singularity. In addition to pulling everything towards it, the gravity is so great it can injure people and destroy things (Damaging), though maintaining the rift requires great Concentration. I also have to be very careful with this, because the effect is non-descriminating. (Not Selective).
I don't actually want to kill people, so I make sure the rift is too small to actually allow anybody to get pulled through, it only allows the effects of the gravity through.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 am

Pursuant to Titan's background:

Are we going to found the League, as happens in the cartoon, or is something going to exist before we start?

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:Pursuant to Titan's background:

Are we going to found the League, as happens in the cartoon, or is something going to exist before we start?

You'll be the founding members.
"Even if you have a lot of hit points, a dagger through the eye is a dagger through the eye."

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Oops! Looks like I will have to change the background.

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:51 pm

@jemal- Not sure where your +7 on Knowledges (All) is coming from. Without any actual ranks in the skills, you should be at +2 from your Intellect.

Just for the record, Impervious Dodge will only apply to effects used against you that are resisted by Dodge. So in other words regular ranged attacks won't count, but in Affliction resisted by Dodge will.

On your Personal Rift Power, Accurate is a +1/rank Extra on Teleport, not 1 flat point; it should cost 62 pp altogether.

I assume by "Reduced Range 2" on your Bombardment Power you mean Diminished Range 2?

For Black Hole, Move Object is ranged by default, so you're making it Perception ranged?

So altogether, I count your character at 194pp, 14 over the limit. Looks like you've got some points to shave.

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Why wouldn't impervious dodge work against ranged attacks? Basically, for someone with 15 dodge, anyone with an attack bonus of 14 or less would automatically fail.

zeone3000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby zeone3000 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Addendum, stayed up way too late last night. Crashin' early, will have him tomorrow. Concept, Martial Artist empowered by 'mystical' item.
]My first fanfic - Log of the Grinning Shadow - Chapter four is now up! Enjoy!

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Mark Reuter wrote:Why wouldn't impervious dodge work against ranged attacks? Basically, for someone with 15 dodge, anyone with an attack bonus of 14 or less would automatically fail.

Because Impervious specifies it being applied to something you actively resist against, whereas with avoiding attacks, you make no check to resist.

The way I interpret it, Impervious lets you automatically succeed on checks below a certain Save DC, whereas with your active defenses, there is no check made; essentially your appropriate active defense is the DC, and the attacker has to get a high enough check result to beat it and hit you.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 pm

ecar369 wrote:@jemal- Not sure where your +7 on Knowledges (All) is coming from. Without any actual ranks in the skills, you should be at +2 from your Intellect.

Eidetic memory lets you use knowledges untrained and gives you +5 to remembering things (which is most of what knowledge does). It's the only reason to take Eidetic memory over jack of all trades (Which lets you use ALL skills untrained, not just knowledges.)

Just for the record, Impervious Dodge will only apply to effects used against you that are resisted by Dodge. So in other words regular ranged attacks won't count, but in Affliction resisted by Dodge will.

Well that won't work then, that's the main point of the power. I was working under the same read of the rule as Mark, if you see it differently Maybe I should just work out an immunity?
Will ponder.

On your Personal Rift Power, Accurate is a +1/rank Extra on Teleport, not 1 flat point; it should cost 62 pp altogether.
Well damn, I've been doing that wrong for a while...

I assume by "Reduced Range 2" on your Bombardment Power you mean Diminished Range 2?
yes, sorry, I occasionally mix those up.

For Black Hole, Move Object is ranged by default, so you're making it Perception ranged?

no, I had originally made it using a Damage effect, and forgot to remove that.
Although, if I DID make it perception that negates the reflex save vs the area, so it's just straight Tough/Str checks.. would make it a lot stronger... Would you be OK with that?

So altogether, I count your character at 194pp, 14 over the limit. Looks like you've got some points to shave.

As I said, that's why I didn't spend the extra hour or so getting the character perfect. No plan survives contact with the enemy... and by Plan I mean character, and by Enemy I mean GM. ;)

What do you think of the character overall, though?

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:35 pm

zeone3000 wrote:Addendum, stayed up way too late last night. Crashin' early, will have him tomorrow. Concept, Martial Artist empowered by 'mystical' item.

In that case, you just might find these updates relevant:
Existing Advantages:
- Ranks in Defensive Roll can be added as a circumstance bonus to Dodge checks made to avoid area effects, but if so, won't apply to Toughness checks for actually resisting the effect. Also, you can avoid losing the benefits of this Advantage while vulnerable by succeeding on a Concentration skill check (DC 10 + damage bonus).
- Trance functions like it's 2e version as well, requiring a DC 15 Concentration check to activate and adding your Concentration bonus to your Stamina rank to determine how long you can hold your breath, as well as making Concentration (instead of Stamina) checks to resist suffocation.

Additional Advantages:
- Snatch Arrows- You're able to catch and hurl back slow moving projectiles. When someone attacks you with a slow projectile (thrown weapon, arrow, etc.), you may make an immediate opposed check against their attack check as a reaction, using your Snatch Arrows rank as your modifier. If you succeed on this opposed check, you can immediately redirect the attack at any target within the attack's normal range, making a normal attack check with your own attack modifier. You must be aware of the attack in order to use this advantage. Your max rank in this advantage is limited by Power Level in the exact same way as Dodge and Parry.
Built off of [Deflect, Reflect, Redirection, Increased Action 3 (Reaction), Limited (Doesn't Add 10 on Rolls of 10 or Less), Limited (Doesn't Affect Others), Limited 2 (Slow Projectiles), Reduced Range (Close)].

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 pm

jemal wrote:
ecar369 wrote:@jemal- Not sure where your +7 on Knowledges (All) is coming from. Without any actual ranks in the skills, you should be at +2 from your Intellect.

Eidetic memory lets you use knowledges untrained and gives you +5 to remembering things (which is most of what knowledge does). It's the only reason to take Eidetic memory over jack of all trades (Which lets you use ALL skills untrained, not just knowledges.)

I generally rule that Jack-of-all-Trades specifically doesn't apply to Knowledge/Expertise skills, to ensure Eidetic Memory's value. The circumstance bonus can be applied in any situation where you're trying to recall specific details of your own memories.

jemal wrote:

no, I had originally made it using a Damage effect, and forgot to remove that.
Although, if I DID make it perception that negates the reflex save vs the area, so it's just straight Tough/Str checks.. would make it a lot stronger... Would you be OK with that?

It actually seems to kinda make sense for a black hole to negate the Dodge resistance check. But something else to note, if your goal is to have it both pull targets in and damage them simultaneously, you'll need Move Object Linked to Damage. The Damaging Extra on Move Object allows the effect to damage targets, while also being able to move them, not do both at the same time.

jemal wrote:What do you think of the character overall, though?

Buildwise, it's fine. The power concept of opening up wormholes and such is cool. As for the backstory, I'm not really sure how much of a place a fourth-wall breaker really has in this setting.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:40 am

ecar369 wrote:I generally rule that Jack-of-all-Trades specifically doesn't apply to Knowledge/Expertise skills, to ensure Eidetic Memory's value. The circumstance bonus can be applied in any situation where you're trying to recall specific details of your own memories.
Where else would you be recalling knowledge from if not your own memories?
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm curious as to the thoughts regarding this.
I understand limiting it to not apply in certain circumstances, such as when researching something online/in a book (finding knowledge you didn't already have and thus can't possibly 'remember'), or using an expertise skill to DO something rather than remember something, or even figuring out how to APPLY the knowledge, but knowledge itself is literally what you know (can remember) about a specific subject.

*EDIT: hmm, Alternative thought : Would you allow me to take a couple ranks of 'minion' in my suit and have it function as an AI, then just have the AI do what AI's are supposed to do, and look stuff up for me(Give it some knowledges etc)? He does after all have access to advanced technology from multiple dimensions..
I've done this with other characters, it shouldn't be too hard, if it's OK with you.

Second Alternative : I read a thread on someone using Eidetic Memory + Second Chance: Knowledge Skills to simulate being 'fairly good at knowing stuff' without having a high bonus.. would something like that work?

I'd like the character to be half-ways decent at knowledge skills(Able to fill in around a +5 for anything we don't have a specialist in, but no competition with an actual specialist) without being a super-genius (high int would be the easiest way to go) or spending dozens of points on skills. (there's 15 knowledge skills!)

jemal wrote:It actually seems to kinda make sense for a black hole to negate the Dodge resistance check. But something else to note, if your goal is to have it both pull targets in and damage them simultaneously, you'll need Move Object Linked to Damage. The Damaging Extra on Move Object allows the effect to damage targets, while also being able to move them, not do both at the same time.

Yes, I planned on using the part that says 'including dealing damage during grabs'. The black hole 'grabs' everyone/thing within range, and starts pulling them towards it. AFTER it's grabbed them (AKA subsequent rounds while I'm concentrating), the pull becomes stronger, injuring them. Thematically this would be what happens while everything/one is being 'crushed together' at the center.

jemal wrote:Buildwise, it's fine. The power concept of opening up wormholes and such is cool. As for the backstory, I'm not really sure how much of a place a fourth-wall breaker really has in this setting.

I apparently did not make it clear, but this will be a serious character, he's NOT a fourth-wall breaker. He's just a dimensional traveller guided by a higher power. As he said himself* "I don't break the fourth wall, because there IS no fourth wall". When he's in a dimension, it's REAL, he doesn't talk to himself or to people 'watching' from other dimensions, he specifically doesn't want people to KNOW about his extradimensional awareness/origins. He's more Aware of things due to the guidance of the QForce, but there's nothing about him that's silly or meant for comedic relief.
In fact, he's more of a serious character than half the DC roster.. the only thing that might not fit is the 'plot device', and as I already stated, I just threw that in there for fun, if you don't like it I'll just up my skills instead.

*The way I wrote the sheet with him talking to you was just supposed to be an interesting twist on the process based on him conversing with you outside of that reality. In the actual game, he will be a serious character from another dimension sent by the QForce to help.

-----

Also, I have three ideas on how to fix the impervious dodge :
First would be an Immunity : Projectiles or Immunity: Attacks against Dodge (Any attack roll vs dodge, doesn't apply to dodge checks vs area effect, nor to perception range attacks that don't USE attack rolls).
I'm thinking 20 or 30 points?

Alternately, Would you allow Deflect as a Move or free action (limited to self, Limited to Dodge). Still Wouldn't affect perception attacks or Area Effect, would just allow him to 'roll a defense' against.
Possibly also adding Reflect/Redirect to represent him rifting the attack towards a different target.
I know normally the game doesn't allow this, but figured I'd ask with all your house rules if that's OK, b/c that would perfectly resemble what I'm trying to do: Rift is trying to essentially 'catch' ranged attacks at him with defensive rifts.
I would also be willing to make him weaker against melee if this were allowed, to balance it out a bit.

My Final Idea is to just make the 'defensive rifts' a normal dodge/parry power, a type of 'shield' that provides sustained enhanced dodge/parry, and just shift him more defensive (Say 16 dodge/parry 8 toughness), and drop the 'better against ranged' aspect, making him just REALLY hard to hit to begin with.

wulfgar187
Bystander
Bystander

Postby wulfgar187 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 am

As much as I like the idea...I'm having a bit more difficulty trying to put a sheet together. It may be that I haven't actually played 2e...and only played a couple games of 3e? I think I'll bow out of this one and just be a silent reader.

ecar369
Cohort
Cohort

Postby ecar369 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:56 pm

wulfgar187 wrote:As much as I like the idea...I'm having a bit more difficulty trying to put a sheet together. It may be that I haven't actually played 2e...and only played a couple games of 3e? I think I'll bow out of this one and just be a silent reader.

That's too bad. :(
What are your specific issues? PM me if you want and I'll help you out.

Return to “M&M Game Room”