The Era of Madness (3e) IC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby Neo-Paladin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:11 am

It had all happened so fast. No one had been prepared.
For some reason of your own, you all were gathered in the market square of the small town of Helwing's Crossing, a bustling settlement just on the border between the Principality of Jayghon, the Wildlands and the shining kingdom of Tuaria.
The market square had been crowded with people of all shapes and sizes, from dour dwarven smiths to quick-fingered halfling jugglers - and, as some might say, quite a few cutpurses - and everything in between. Trade has been lively these last few days with the advent of Midseason and the promise of a long summer.
Soothsayers, most of them with not even an iota of magic in their fingertips peedle their services and long-bearded priests of Yosska, patron of wealth stride about in their gold-hemmed robes, heavy gold and silver rings on their fingers.
In many trade towns, these priests serve as both police and ruling body in all matters involving coin.
Said to be impartial but very harsh in regards to anything that might disturb peaceful trading, they are not exactly loved by everyone but very much respected.

Which is why, as they suddenly all begin to cry out and drop down, clutching their heads, the organized chaos of the market falls into a silent stupor...

That is, until one of the soothsayers, an old, snaggle-toothed woman, points a spindly finger southwards. " LOOK!" She cries out...and you can all see the wall of utter blackness that comes rushing over the land.

Immediately, panic grips the market, as everyone instinctively understands the danger they are facing. People are trampled to death in the ensuing stampede...but it does not help. The wall of darkness rushes over you...and you lose your senses.

When you come to, it is on a cold stone floor in what appears to be a cellar. It stinks of mildew and old leather. A small candle in the middle of the otherwise empty room gives off faint illumination, not nearly enough to fully banish the darkness....

User avatar
Prof Weird
Champion
Champion
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby Prof Weird » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Nala the Wanderer
HP : 1
Condition : concerned

"What happened ?" Nala groused to herself as the cold of the floor finally managed to wake her.

She'd been at Helwing's Crossing at her father's behest to make sure one of the local bars wasn't watering down the ales they bought from her family (or doing other underhanded acts of 'creative bartending').

Then the priests of Yosska that usually keep an eye on things were suddenly dropped by something.

Then that wall of utter blackness from the south.

She looked around as best she could, but there wasn't much to see.

"I was outside in the marketplace. Now I'm indoors. Somewhere. How did I get wherever this is ?"
she thought as she picked up the candle to get a better look at her surroundings. And maybe find the door.
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby Neo-Paladin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:08 am

There is a sturdy wooden door in the south wall. The walls of this room are solid stone, moist with water that has seeped through. In one corner you find a few wooden planks, half rotted away, probably the remains of some barrel. Other than that, the room is empty.

User avatar
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Chelmsford, MA

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby sirzanek » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 am

Vashyk Blackthorn

Never should have gone near the cities, Vash. This was the first thought that managed to force through the fog muddling the young archer's mind. It had seemed like a solid plan. With no trail to follow, maybe one of the soothsayers at the market place could give him a clue as to where to look for his tribe. The older river kin and fire hands usually were responsible for any trade outside the tribe, and had told stories of the wondrous things they encountered at the market. What could go wrong?

Well, first finding the darn place. It had taken Vashyk longer to make his way to the little town than he would have liked. He had no coin, as the tribe dealt on barter and favors. When the men in the robes, who he had guessed were in charge by the way people stayed out of their way, grabbed their heads and started screaming, Vashyk had no idea what to think. Was this a daily prayer? Some kind of performance? Then he felt the wind rustle the hairs on his neck. Something bad was about to happen. He turned just in time to see the blackness...

As he awoke, he kept his eyes closed until he could get his bearings. Unbound, that was a good sign. Still had his armor on. Hearing the rustle of someone moving, he let his eyes open slowly. The one candle might as well have been the sun, as Vashyk's new eyes could make the most of the faintest light. The young woman examining the room didn't seem like an immediate threat. Other men still waking. Why was he here? The fact that he was in a small, apparently subterranean, room grated on the wind strider's nerves. Rolling silently to his feet, Vashyk's eyes darted around the room to deal with his most pressing concern.

Where was his bow?

OOC- I'm not sure how much of our equipment we have been left with, so if the armor is gone I'll edit.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby Neo-Paladin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 am

I am sorry I forgot to mention it. Your armor and weapons are still there.

User avatar
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Raccoon City

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:35 am

Keith Arma
HP 1,
CONDITION: Fine


The plan was fool-proof. There was none who could stop him. To the north of Helwing's Crossing, the Black Boars were prepared to attack the village before the guards knew what was happening. All they needed was to get some of their men into the city undetected and strike from within while the bandits on the outside attacked the walls and attempted to go inside. This plan had never failed the Black Boars ever before Keith's reign over the group.

The Boar King himself decided to be one of the infiltration group, along with about a dozen other men. He knew that nobody would suspect the Boar King himself to attack the village from within the city. All was set in stone, however, as the shadowy wall barreled through the town just before the Black Boars began their plan.

He had then awoken ("When, and how did I fall asleep?" Keith thought to himself) in the dank, moist cellar with others. One was inspecting the door with a candle in her hand, and the other was trying to find something. Other than the ones awake, two people just awaking. Keith then placed his hand on his forehead and muttered, "D@#& it, we were just starting too." It was then that Keith stood up and stretched out his back, which had tightened up while he was asleep.

"So, I take it nobody else here knows how we got in here?"
Image
SKYPE: X3r0.Kh4n

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

User avatar
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 9984
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 am
Contact:

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby EPIC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:48 am

Lucius A. Regulus
(HP: 1)

Lucius had been following up on a lead that a band of bandits known as the Black Boars were mobilizing to raid a small town. The bandits had been making too much of a name for themselves lately, been a little too active, and drawn a little too much attention. Finding that their target was Helwing's Crossing on this day had been simple enough to gather from a simple divination from one of the king's soothsayers. His job was to investigate and gather information about the group, inform the town's guard, and if possible, sheer off some of their numbers.

He'd only arrived in Helwing's Crossing a day or so ago, and already set to work. The plan was evident from the moment he spotted a man with the "Boar Kings" reported appearance. Send a vanguard to sow chaos and draw attention away from the true attack which would come from outside the town. Not a bad tactic, had one not foreseen the presence of a king's agent in the town actively looking for these bandits in question.

Lucius had just been about to set about tailing Keith through the market square when the priests are cried out and the enveloping blanket of inky darkness rolled over everything...

He woke up some time later, how long he wasn't sure, on the cool, hard ground of what seemed to be some kind of cellar or dungeon perhaps. Slowly pushing himself to his feet, he took a quick inventory of his gear, shocked to find his back laid out next to where he'd been unconscious, his shield and sheathed sword strapped to it and nothing apparently missing from inside. Even his money pouch was in place and undisturbed. So whatever the reason they were being held, it was not base robbery.

Following the small flickering light around, he takes in what details of the room he can, as well as his fellow occupants, recognizing Keith almost immediately, not for the moment, not letting on. "Keep your voice down. We don't want to alert anyone before we know as much as we can about our situation if we can help it." he warns in a low, steady voice as he straps on his sword and shield, just to be sure he was ready for any trouble, before moving towards the door, giving it an experimental push and pull on the latch.

User avatar
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 am

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby dreamking89 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Talon Jendro

Talon had been sleeping in the corner of the cellar room, wishing to nap before he made his daring escape from the dungeons of Helwing's Crossing (not exactly the same as a daring escape from the Dread Tower of Boreas Peak, but you gotta start somewhere).

He wasn't even supposed to be in the town, he had just wanted to stop somewhere to rest for the night. Of course, the great Lord of Crows could not sleep in some lowly stable. He needed the finest lodgings worthy of the master thief that he was (Or would become, at any rate). Unfortunately, a lucky guard spotted him as he was cutting the purse of a rich looking merchant and Talon ended up getting thrown in the dungeons, where he fell asleep before he could try to get out.

"Mmmm....that's right, princess....just a bit lower...." He mutters in his dreams before the sounds of the room's other occupants rouse him. "Huh? Wha?!?" Talon quickly hops to his feet when he realizes he was no longer alone. He checked his belt, his alchemy tools were back, and he was clearly was not in the same room he fell asleep in.

"What the heck is this??" the young man asks, "Were we all moved to a different prison or something?" He eyes everyone in the room, stopping for a moment upon the Boar King, "Seven hells....I must be in serious trouble if I'm stuck here with the Boar King."
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

User avatar
Prof Weird
Champion
Champion
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby Prof Weird » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Nala the Wanderer
HP : 1
Condition : curious

Nala looked at the other people in the room with her. She recognized Lucius - the 'rising star of the Regulus family' because he was a minor noble.

She glared at Keith the Boar King - her family had lost quite a bit of inventory due to his banditry. They even had to raise the price on a few of their ales to help pay the guards extra to transport it.

One of the other men in the room appeared rather stressed (being from the tribal lands, she guessed being trapped indoors might do that), and the other had some very interesting alchemical devices.

"I wasn't in a prison." she answered the alchemist as quietly as she could (taking Lucius' advice), "I was in the marketplace when the priests of Yosska were stricken with pain, and then that wall of darkness approached from the south. The next thing I knew, I was in here.

Wherever 'here' is ..."
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:59 am

As you wonder what is going on, suddenly, you can hear a voice from outside the door. It's muffled by the thick wood, but it sounds like the voice of a very concerned woman.
" Thank the fortunes you are awake! Are you alright? Are you...normal?" There is a certain weight to the last word.

User avatar
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 9984
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 am
Contact:

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby EPIC » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Lucius A. Regulus
(HP: 1)

Lucius ponders over the choice of words. Asking one if they were 'normal' wasn't exactly common practice, which meant something must have been happening to people in between the time he blacked out and waking up a few moments ago.

Aside from the two criminals, he couldn't pick out anything irregular, and even the two criminals were pretty average specimens if one didn't include their poor life choices.

"I believe so my lady, but what would you constitute not being normal? What has happened? Been happening?"

User avatar
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Chelmsford, MA

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby sirzanek » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Vashyk Blackthorn
HP: 1
Condition: Wary


Patience, Vash. He could hear his father's voice in his head. Storming through the forest will only serve to scare off your prey. Stop and really look around. And with that in mind, Vashyk stopped his blind panic and immediately saw his bow and quiver piled neatly next to where he lay. As he swings the quiver over his shoulder and adjusts the straps with practiced ease, anyone looking at him can see the tension ease out of him. Gripping his bow in his left hand, he uses his right to ease his hood down slightly, making it harder to get a look at his eyes. Strangers sometimes reacted poorly to his totem marks...

As the others begin to talk, Vashyk is confused. None of these others look like the royalty that he had heard of so often from the river kin. Possibly the bossy one, but even that was a stretch. At the mention of a prison, all of the released tension snaps right back into Vashyk's body and his hand adopts a loose three fingered claw position, as if ready to knock an arrow at the least provocation. The woman's voice on the other side of the door did not add to his comfort level.

"I know nothing of prison or kings, and while I do not feel strangely, respected mother, I would feel more 'normal' if I could once more see the open sky. I am Vashyk Blackthorn, wind strider of the Ur-Gaian tribe."

OOC- Yeah, Vash doesn't know squat about the world outside the tribe, so he doesn't know anything about any of you. Anyone with reasonable sight can clearly see a stylized wing tatoo down the right side of his face, and those with vision enhancements might be able to see that there is something clearly avain about his eyes.
Let's see how long I can maintain that speech pattern....

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4580
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:06 am

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:51 pm

" Is anyone...of the others acting strangely? Speaking in ways that make no sense?" the voice sounded through the door again. " Or has one among you...eyes that are pure black?"

User avatar
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary
Posts: 2861
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Raccoon City

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Keith Arma
HP 1
CONDITION: Fine


As Keith glared at the man who had just scolded him, a woman's voice called through the door. Keith did not care, he just wanted out of that room. He then pushed the others out of the way before yelling, "Just let me out of this damned room already, woman!"

OOC: Sorry if the preceding sounded rude to the others, but that is how he acts.
Image
SKYPE: X3r0.Kh4n

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

User avatar
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 9984
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 am
Contact:

Re: The Era of Madness (3e) IC

Postby EPIC » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:42 am

Lucius A. Regulus
(HP: 1)

Lucius steps aside as he sees Keith bull his way towards the door like a mindless animal. "For pity's sake you braying beast. Do you honestly think she's going to respond to a threatening demand like that? It seems we have enough trouble without you causing more with your base lack of anything resembling etiquette."

He looks towards Nala, beckoning her over, as she has the candle. "Miss, please bring that candle close and check that we do not have solid black eyes and I can check yours."

Given the situation, and Keith's aggressiveness, the nobleman seems to be keeping a evenly leveled head about things.


Return to “M&M Game Room”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests