Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: Recruiting [3e]

Postby Heritage367 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:41 pm

dreamking89 wrote:I'm also considering a magical superhero over my unpowered crime fighter and I was wondering if you would mind me playing a PL 9 version of Adrian Eldrich (given by 1941, he would have had his status as Earth's Master Mage for less than a decade and would most likely not be anywhere near as powerful as he is presented in the present day).

I couldn't remember if Eldrich was active at this period or not, but it occurred to me that Grisselda might have followed the Master Mage out of Avalon into our world during his travels, which might also explain her affinity for Riverside!

Of course, if one or both of us doesn't make the cut, it's irrelevant anyway :D

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Heritage367 wrote:I couldn't remember if Eldrich was active at this period or not, but it occurred to me that Grisselda might have followed the Master Mage out of Avalon into our world during his travels, which might also explain her affinity for Riverside!

Eldritch becomes the Master Mage in 1935.

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:49 pm

I'm still up in the air as to whether I'm going for Eldrich or the Flying Fox (my potential unpowered super) or something else entirely.

This is often my problem: Unless an idea REALLY strikes me, I'm often pretty indecisive as to what I want to play. :P
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:53 pm

robertness wrote:
Neo-Paladin wrote:Okay, how about this one, please let me know if it would fit, I kinda like this idea...

Seeing the genocide perpetuated by the Nazis, using THEIR holy signs and runes no less, has really pissed off the Norse Gods. Since for whatever reason they cannot act directly on earth, they send one of the Einherjar down, an ancient warrior from the Viking age. Tougher, stronger and greatly proficient with nearly any weapon, his mission is to punish the Nazis for defiling the memory of the gods.

That could cheese off so many Nazis in so many ways... I'd be interested in seeing what comes of this concept.

Though I have to warn people, I'll probably top out at three non-humans. Even I have a limit on my cheese factor.

Glad it isn't dismissed outright. He is pretty much human, though, since they had to clad him in flesh once more. Just a bit tougher.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:54 pm

wow, so far 3 submissions from Avalon..

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Aerlock: Sorry, I'm afraid I took the slang introducing the character concept the wrong way. I had difficulty telling if it was a concept you were really interested in running. I'll entertain a re-pitch if you're still interested. I will need a bit of convincing that the character could actually do something during an adventure.

Jemal: Arty P. and Griz make two, who's the third? Regardless, we're also considering an Einherjar. If this keeps up, I may have to relocate the game to Jolly Old England. *pondering*

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:16 pm

Robertness: The third is Jemal himself, who pitched a 'revived' King Arthur.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:19 pm

That's who I meant by Arty P. What I get for responding to posts when I should be getting to sleep.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 pm

Hoffman Dunner is a veteran of the first World War, considered unfit for duty due to his excessive age and heart condition, he spends his day working in a Freedom City steel mill. Axis saboteurs unleash explosives within the factory designed to cripple production, their only witness an old man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. One hard shove sends that witness plummeting into a sea of molten metal. But before these assassins can make good their escape, a familiar figure leaps back onto the walkways, spitting out a mouthful of slag and cracking knuckles harder than steel.

For his place of origin, I'm thinking France. We never have any French Powerhouses.

Current idea is for him to look human, just tremendously strong and durable, but I'd be willing to give him a chrome coating if folks think it makes more sense.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Avalonians :
King Arthur (Jemal)
Grisselda (Heritage367)
Eldrich (Dreamking89 if he doesn't switch to flying fox)

Will have an Arthur up when I get a chance. Possibly tonight.

Nillaman : A french powerhouse sounds awesome. I think the Chrome would be cooler, but that's just my sense of aesthetics. :)

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:04 pm

On the note of character creation, I had a bit of an odd request to run by you, something I've been thinking about for a while and it could make sense with Arthur. It seems to me that for some characters it makes sense for them to be better at parrying than dodging (especially master swordsmen in heavy armour)
First, I would like to say I would completely understand if you don't like it, it's a bit odd.

Ordinarily with defense caps, you get dodge/parry Cap + Toughness Cap = 2X PL.
So, base = 18: Dodge/parry 9 +Toughness 9 = 18, etc.
I was wondering if you'd allow me to do a bit of an alternative trade-off: lower Dodge for higher Parry. The 'average' active defense would remain the same (instead of 8 dodge/8 parry, for example: 6 dodge/10 parry).

Now, it would mean that my Melee defenses would be 'over cap' while my ranged were 'under cap', but overall it would have the same Defensive PL.. actually it would be a bit worse for me b/c dodge is used vs area effects, so Arthur would be Above PL vs Melee, but below vs both ranged and Area, but I'd be OK with that if you are.

What do you think?
For the record the numbers I'm thinking are:
Dodge 6, Parry 10, Toughness 10.

Another alternative if you don't like that idea, would be to buy Immunity: melee attacks (I'm thinking a 30 rank immunity?) with the Half Effect modifier. It doesn't do exactly what I wanted, but it does help with the feeling of near-invulnerability in melee.

-----
*Another note/question : Since Arthur's very charismatic, I was considering giving him a 7 presence (Peak human achievement), but considering I'm not really looking at high deception/intimidate, it's an awful expensive way to get Persuasion..
So, I was wondering if you'll be using any house rules for presence to make it more appealing, or if I should just fill out persuasion with skill points, and use that, roleplaying, and a few advantages to get the 'super charismatic legendary king' feel?

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:04 am

Jemal: Until I get a little more experience running this game for folks other than my local group, I'd like to avoid house rules. So, I'm going to nix Parry/Dodge trade off for now. It sounds reasonable, but I worry about the unintended consequences.

The most point efficient way of getting the charismatic leader angle is probably buying up your Persuade skill supplemented by a rank or two of Inspire. However, I wouldn't rule out wanting some ability to Intimidate or Deceive, so a mid range Presence score to build your Persuasion off of wouldn't hurt.

Nillaman: No one expects French Powerhouses which is why I'd like to see what you cook up with that. Go with what you feel would be fun to play as far as the appearance.

Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Mr.Sandman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:16 am

I would be cool with playing in England. Would make it easier to hop between battles on the home front and in the war. If we did I would probably go with Noble Gas. Chemist and son of a minor noble house, Lord Miles Toxic worked on whatever the british Manhattan Project type thing was. One night there was an explosion, and when his head cleared he found that his body had turned into a cloud of purple smoke. Powers would be some intangibility, and some afflictions with different gasses. His costume looks like purple full plate armor made of the same gas as his body.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 am

Silverback

Name: Hubert Renaud.
Eyes: Blue.
Hair: Grey.
Place of Birth: Orleans, France.
Nationality: American Citizen, 20 Years.

History: Hubert Renaud is a veteran of the first World War, considered unfit for duty due to his excessive age and heart condition, he spends his day working in a Freedom City steel mill. Axis saboteurs unleash explosives within the factory designed to cripple production, their only witness an old man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. One hard shove sends that witness plummeting into a sea of molten metal. But before these assassins can make good their escape, a familiar figure leaps back onto the walkways, spitting out a mouthful of slag and cracking knuckles harder than steel.

Now a guardian of The Old Neighborhood, an area of Freedom City once populated by refugee immigrants from World War 1 and seeing a sharp population spike with another World War going on, he lives on the top floor of an old tenant building and is supported by his community, knowing they can always call upon their hulking defender to protect them while the town's more powerful crime fighters are overseas.

Unique Traits: The accident didn't just grant Renaud tremendous brute strength but seemed to roll back the clock, curing many of the aches and pains he once suffered from, although his hair remains graying and his scars have not vanished. It also has granted him an ape-like appearance, as his arms and legs elongated, while both his hands and feet have enlarged, making him easy to pick out in a crowd.

Beyond his physical prowess, military training from early in his life makes him exceptionally capable in a fight, although he has yet to be seen using firearms of any sort, likely because it is far cheaper and more effective for him to simply throw stones with the force of a cannon. Exceptionally agile, more so than he was at his peak, his raw speed allows Renaud to keep up with conventional automobiles, though he seems to prefer traveling longer distances through superhuman leaps, he has also demonstrated the ability to treat all of Freedom City like one great urban jungle.

Abilities - 92 Points.
Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 6, Dexterity 3, Fighting 8, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 2.

Powers - 16 Points
Accelerated Metabolism: Regeneration 2.
Nowhere To Run: Movement 2 (Swinging, Wall-Crawling).
Unstoppable Charge: Speed 4, Leaping 6.

Advantages - 6 Points.
Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Interpose, Languages 1 (Native, French. English), Ultimate Effort (Toughness Checks).

Skills - 15 Points.
Acrobatics 2 (+8), Athletics 2 (+12), Expertise: Current Events 3 (+6), Expertise: History 5 (+8), Expertise: Popular Culture 3 (+6), Insight 2 (+6), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Throwing 5 (+8), Treatment 1 (+4), Vehicles 3 (+6).

Defenses - 6 Points.
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10, Will 8.

Complications
Enemy: Out of the saboteurs who blew up his old workplace, Renaud only managed to catch a few. It's likely that their remaining members will seek to make life hard for the juggernaut. Ditto for those members in jail who're just waiting for another chance at the big guy.
Motivation: The people of The Old Neighborhood are his utmost concern, but Hubert rarely backs down from giving law enforcement and crime fighters a helping hand when it comes down to trouble, or defending folks who can't protect themselves.
Relationship: Caludia Sherman, a hothead tomboy with magical abilities, eager to follow in her Godfather's footsteps as a protector of the people, but who's still in training and who's parents would rather see live a more peaceful life than the one Renaud has chosen for himself.

Total: Abilities 92 + Powers 16 + Advantages 6 + Skills 15 + Defenses 6 = 135 Points.
Last edited by Nillaman on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 am

Having trouble sleeping last night, so I went over Grisselda's character sheet again, and I realized that I had totally nerfed her Active Defenses, since I forgot to figure in her +6 to Dodge and Parry due to her small size! I added the changes today:

1. Dodge, Parry and Will are now her highest Defenses, which works much better.

2. Added a second rank of Evasion, plus Tracking.

3. Added ranks to Insight and Perception, which combined with the Tracking now really makes her into a miniature hunter of men. Also bumped up Treatment and added Expertise: Pop Culture to reflect all the time she spends sneaking into movie houses and listening to the radio.

4. Did some minor adjustments to her fluff, such as actually describing her wings and updating the image link to show a period M1 helmet (the light green one from before was Vietnam era).

And now I am finished! Or to paraphrase Picasso, character sheets are never finished, merely abandoned :D
Last edited by Heritage367 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “M&M Game Room”