Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: Recruiting [3e]

Postby robertness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 am

jemal wrote:I'd love to try a version of King Arthur Pendragon similar to that in the Gargoyles Animated TV Series.

Put to sleep until the world had need of him once more, which now they surely do, and so he has awakened, a living legend with the great sword Excalibur in hand, ready to defend Britain with all his might.

As far as a reason why he'd be in freedom city - He's either looking for Merlin, or he Found Merlin, and the wizard told him this was where he needed to be.

Alternately, he could be on the search for Excalibur, which has ended up in the states.

For Powers, he'd be a warrior archetype with semi-superhuman abilities, somewhere around Cap America and Thor in combat style.

Not familiar with the Gargoyle's treatment of Arthur. Of course, Arthurian Legend is purposefully vague about where the King is sleeping. In some versions, he's taken from Avalon in a longboat which sails to the sunset. What if he awakens in the New World? He may have Excalibur, but no contact with Merlin, yet. (Remember, Merlin makes Spitfires and Hurricanes fly.)

Heritage367 wrote:I am also very interested in this game; I created a heroic pixie (yes, I said it) for the other recent Freedomverse game that I am really dying too play, but I could come up with something else if you thought that was too light.

She is a tiny badass, though :wink:

Depending on how you work up her motivations and personality, that may work. If she wasn't selected for the other game, make appropriate tweaks for the pixie.

wulfgar187
Bystander
Bystander

Postby wulfgar187 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:44 am

O'm interested as well, and am toying with a couple of concepts. One is a speedster with electricity powers...the other is my take on a super-soldier.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:58 am

robertness wrote:Depending on how you work up her motivations and personality, that may work. If she wasn't selected for the other game, make appropriate tweaks for the pixie.

This was her build in the previous game submission; background tweaking would be easy, and I could see her going for a more patriotic motivation if she felt she was protecting her adopted homeland. Pl can be easily adjusted downward.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:17 am

I've got an idea for a bathroom psychic that needs a port-a-potty. He's your typical scrawny, big-brained, potentially crippled, psychic that goes unconscious when he uses his powers. The downside is that he's range-limited to a pretty hefty degree. If he doesn't have line of sight/effect from his meat body he can't affect anything. He'd have a projected body that was essentially just telekinetic force and would have limited mind reading/control. To keep his meat body safe he's cobbled together an armored coffin on wheels that he pushes/carried around with his TK "body" and once the poo hits the fan he sets it somewhere with good sight lines (and coincidentally prominent) on the battle field and goes to town with his projected body.

Does that sound like a good fit for the game?

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

The Black Blade

Postby badpenny » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Art by Matt Bennet

Quote: "Run, villain, run. I enjoy the hunt!"
Power Level: 9
Concept: Swashbuckling crimefighter with a precursor Star Knight sword
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Freedom City
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: None
Height: 6 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 175 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Bodycast: Matt Bomer

The Black Blade - PL 9

Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 7, Dexterity 1, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 6, Presence 0

Advantages
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Luck, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Athletics, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+13), Athletics 11 (+13), Close Combat: Star Shard 4 (+10), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+8), Insight 2 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+8), Investigation 8 (+8), Perception 3 (+9), Stealth 6 (+13)

Powers
Dimensional Shift: Movement 2 (Permeate 2: speed rank -1; Extra: Affects Others: speed rank -2) · 5 points

Mind Sight: Senses 4 (Mental 4 (Accurate, Radius, Ranged); Advantage: Uncanny Dodge) · 5 points

Star Shard (Advantages: Improved Defense, Weapon Break; Quirk: Can be disarmed, Move action to summon back) · 1 point
. . Weaken Toughness 8 linked to Damage 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Extra: Affects Objects; Flaw: Limited: Weaken recovers instantly) · 16 points
. . Environmental Cascade: Cone Area Damage 8 (Alternate; Extras: Cone Area: 60 feet cone, Variable Descriptor: close group - Environmental) · 1 point

Offense
Initiative +11
Environmental Cascade: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
Star Shard: Damage 8 linked to Weaken Toughness 8, +10 (DC Fort 18, DC 23)

Complications
Accident: Dimensional Travel is tricky even for the experienced. It's possible that Lance could end up somewhere other than he intended if something were to go awry.

Enemy: The Star Shard is a precursor Star Knight artifact, originally created by the Preservers eons ago. That Lance wields it could bring either enemies of the Star Knights to target him, or the Star Knights themselves may inquire into his possession of it.

Identity: Black Blade is Lance Williams

Motivation: Justice: From his first beginnings as a vigilante to his swearing to wield the Star Shard, Lance is driven by his desire for justice against those who perpetrate evil.

Motivation: Thrills: Lance has an adventurous spirit, and while he takes his calling of justice seriously, he enjoys the hunt and the chase of bringing criminals to justice.

Secret: The Black Blade steals from the bad guys to fund his crime fighting exploits.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/4, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 28 + Advantages 12 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 135

Background: Lance Williams was a gifted, natural athlete. He went to Freedom City University on a fencing scholarship. How he loved it! It consumed him. He began to adopt a costumed identity while on campus to avenge the wrongs he saw perpetrated against the weak and innocent.

It didn't take long for Lance to get in over his head. Stopping purse snatchers and defending vulnerable women were one thing, but when he began to take on organized crime, he became a target. He was a proficient martial artist, and an excellent swordsman, but he wasn't prepared to use an actual sword to kill...but the bad guys had no such compunction.

At first he took a beating, and when he came back redoubling his efforts to fight crime, he was targeted for death. Left for dead in an alley, Lance had a vision. An extra-dimensional vision. A disembodied figure, trapped in a dimensional limbo, had found Earth and Lance. The man--a strange bipedal humanoid--pulled Lance through and saved his life. The man, through an odd-looking device, told Lance of his mission to protect the galaxy from evil, and of his singular quest to capture an escaped prisoner bent on vast destruction. What the man wore made Lance think of the Star Knights, but it wasn't a familiar term. There had been an accident--sabotage--and a dimensional mine had exploded, overloading his pursuit craft. He'd woken to find that he'd become trapped in this unknown dimension.

It was too late for the alien, but he recognized the familiar struggle on earth--and Lance's efforts to preserve the peace--and saw in Lance a kindred spirit. That longing for justice burned bright, and he could let go knowing it would be carried into a new age. He'd been holding on for so long....

The alien bestowed upon Lance his weapon of office, the Star Shard, and with it came an expanded consciousness. The alien was wistful for his glory days, but they were not to be. The dimensional tidal forces had eroded his life force over the years and he was fading from existence. Lance would wield the Star Shard now and he would continue the never-ending fight for justice!

Due to an inexplicable dimensional accident, the Black Blade finds himself thrown back in time to World War 2 era Freedom City!
Last edited by badpenny on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Aerlock wrote:I've got an idea for a bathroom psychic that needs a port-a-potty. He's your typical scrawny, big-brained, potentially crippled, psychic that goes unconscious when he uses his powers. The downside is that he's range-limited to a pretty hefty degree. If he doesn't have line of sight/effect from his meat body he can't affect anything. He'd have a projected body that was essentially just telekinetic force and would have limited mind reading/control. To keep his meat body safe he's cobbled together an armored coffin on wheels that he pushes/carried around with his TK "body" and once the poo hits the fan he sets it somewhere with good sight lines (and coincidentally prominent) on the battle field and goes to town with his projected body.

- Aerlock

Going to have to pass on that one. No offense, but I almost feel like I've been trolled.

Edit: And glad to see the first complete entry. I'll give it a proper review after dinner, Badpenny.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:02 pm

Okay, how about this one, please let me know if it would fit, I kinda like this idea...

Seeing the genocide perpetuated by the Nazis, using THEIR holy signs and runes no less, has really pissed off the Norse Gods. Since for whatever reason they cannot act directly on earth, they send one of the Einherjar down, an ancient warrior from the Viking age. Tougher, stronger and greatly proficient with nearly any weapon, his mission is to punish the Nazis for defiling the memory of the gods.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:Okay, how about this one, please let me know if it would fit, I kinda like this idea...

Seeing the genocide perpetuated by the Nazis, using THEIR holy signs and runes no less, has really pissed off the Norse Gods. Since for whatever reason they cannot act directly on earth, they send one of the Einherjar down, an ancient warrior from the Viking age. Tougher, stronger and greatly proficient with nearly any weapon, his mission is to punish the Nazis for defiling the memory of the gods.

That could cheese off so many Nazis in so many ways... I'd be interested in seeing what comes of this concept.

Though I have to warn people, I'll probably top out at three non-humans. Even I have a limit on my cheese factor.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:49 pm

Name: Grisselda of Avalon
Base of Operations: Freedom City
Height: 6”
Weight: 4 oz.
Eyes: Black
Hair: Brown
Power Level: 9

ABILITIES
Strength -3
Stamina 0
Agility 3
Dexterity 2
Fighting 0
Intellect 2
Awareness 2
Presence 2

POWERS
Faerie Nature
• Comprehend 2 (Speak and Understand All Languages) - 4pp
• Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Wings) - 5pp
• Immunity 2 (Aging, cold) - 2pp
• Senses 7 (Accurate Extended Hearing, Darkvision, Vision Counters Illusions) - 7pp
• Shrinking 12 (Innate, Permanent) - 13pp

Elfshot Bow (Easily Removable array, -10pp [17pp total])
• Cumulative Ranged Subtle Affliction 8 (Hindered, Immobile, Paralyzed, Resisted by Will) - 25pp
AP: Cumulative Ranged Subtle Affliction 8 (Fatigued, Exhausted, Incapacitated, Resisted by Will) - 1pp
AP: Cumulative Ranged Subtle Affliction 8 (Dazed, Compelled, Controlled, Resisted by Will) - 1pp

Wand of Illusion (Easily Removable array, -8pp [12pp total])
• Illusion 5 (Audible, Olfactory, Visual) - 20pp

Faerie Purse
• Feature 1 (Extradimensional pocket) - 1pp

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Roll 2
Evasion 2
Hide in Plain Sight
Skill Mastery (Stealth)
Tracking
Uncanny Dodge

SKILLS
Deception 8 (+10)
Expertise: Hunting 3 (+5)
Expertise: Popular Culture 1 (+3)
Insight 8 (+10)
Perception 8 (+10)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Elfshot) 8 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+19)
Treatment 3 (+5)

OFFENSE
Initiative +3
Elfshot +10 (Ranged Affliction 8, Will DC 18)

DEFENSE
Dodge 10
Parry 10
Fortitude 8
Toughness 8/0
Will 10

BIO
Grisselda comes from beyond the Veil in Avalon, the land of the Fae; essentially ageless, she found life amongst the Court of the Summer Queen had become as boring as cattail fluff, until one day a mortal wizard came over in search of rare magical items. Fascinated, she followed him for several days, flitting from tree to tree, just out of sight; this was a creature of purpose! When he finally reopened a portal to return to the mortal world, she decided to tag along, and found herself in Freedom City, the least boring place on Earth!

Though she was frightened at first, in time she became more confident and bold as she studied this wonderful new place, especially by seeing movies, plays and listening to the radio; just like back home, there were wondrous beings here known as 'heroes'. It seemed their lives were very exciting, so she decided to become one as well; she chose Freedom City as her 'realm' to protect and Riverside as her home, due to the many fascinating and colorful bohemians who live there.

The only mortal she calls her friend is Andrew Orlando, the proprietor of The Never-Ending Story, a used bookstore in Riverside; though he's never succeed in getting her to read any books, she loves to look at all the pictures in them, and Andrew often shares his dinner with her. He also lets her use his Philco Baby Grand for both entertainment and police band scanning, a big help for her crime-fighting. She currently lives at the store in a shoebox high up on a shelf, packed full of shiny odds and ends she's discovered in her travels; her most prized possession is her Captain Midnight Code-O-Graph secret decoder badge.

APPEARANCE
Standing a mere six inches tall, Grisselda is downright tiny; her skin is pale, her ears are pointed, and her dark hair is an unruly mop. Her twinkling eyes are black, but they glow blue in the firelight. Two pairs of slender gossamer wings sprout from between her shoulder blades, hanging down like a cape when she's at rest. Normally she wears a dark brown jerkin, gloves and boots made from batskin leather, and dark green spider-silk hose, but she's recently added a miniature M1 helmet, though no one knows how she got it. A small pouch on her waist is much deeper than it appears, and it's here that she keeps her trusty bow and wand of illusions when she doesn't need them.

PERSONALITY
Charming, vain and mischievous, Grisselda has much in common with the rest of her race, but she was born with a spark of curiosity, especially about the Big Folk. She enjoys playing tricks on them, but also can't resist helping them when they are in need, especially now that the specter of war looms over the land. Griz also enjoys collecting small shiny objects, such as coins and jewels, though she has little real need of them.

TACTICS
Due to her diminutive size and flight capabilities, Griz is very hard to see when she doesn't want to be seen, and it's from the shadows that she takes aim with her silver elfshot bow; her magic arrows are hard to see, just a quick glint of light and a little pinch like a mosquito bite. Depending on which type she fires, her victims either fall asleep, are paralyzed or compelled to follow her verbal commands. She also uses her wand of illusions to trick and confuse her foes.

COMPLICATIONS
Motivation: Responsibility. Grisselda has sworn to protect her adopted city, much like she served the Court of the Summer Queen back home.

Curiosity: Pointed ears aren't the only thing she has in common with cats; Griz can't resisted poking her tiny nose into things that intrigue her.

Illiterate: While Griz can speak and understand any spoken language perfectly, she is unable to read, and shows no interest in learning to do so.

Weakness: Traditional wards. Touching iron is painful to Grisselda, and she cannot cross a barrier of salt.

Power Points:
Abilities 22 + Powers 61 + Advantages 8 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 135pp

So here she is! I'm basing the 'Faerie Purse' off the Internal Compartment Feature; I thought of giving it more properties and going for Removable Device, but couldn't think of anything else to do with it.
Last edited by Heritage367 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Heritage: I was about to ask you to post PL9 Griz to this thread. Haven't looked it over yet, but if the premise remains the same as from the link, she's in consideration.

badpenny: On first inspection, Black Blade looks like a potential fit. Build wise, I think I've noticed some second edition artifacts that may need to be pruned.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:58 pm

robertness wrote:Heritage: I was about to ask you to post PL9 Griz to this thread. Haven't looked it over yet, but if the premise remains the same as from the link, she's in consideration.

I think the conversion went well, and now her background fluff reflects the period; thanks for your consideration!

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:09 pm

robertness wrote:badpenny: On first inspection, Black Blade looks like a potential fit. Build wise, I think I've noticed some second edition artifacts that may need to be pruned.

Artifacts? Can you elaborate?

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm also considering a magical superhero over my unpowered crime fighter and I was wondering if you would mind me playing a PL 9 version of Adrian Eldrich (given by 1941, he would have had his status as Earth's Master Mage for less than a decade and would most likely not be anywhere near as powerful as he is presented in the present day).

If you have a problem with that, that's perfectly fine. Just let me know.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35 pm

badpenny wrote:
robertness wrote:badpenny: On first inspection, Black Blade looks like a potential fit. Build wise, I think I've noticed some second edition artifacts that may need to be pruned.

Artifacts? Can you elaborate?

I thought I was seeing 2e terminology that hadn't carried over to 3e, but I was mistaken. Sorry.

dreamking: Yeah, Eldrich at PL9 fits where I'd imagine him at this time. If you'd like to develop that instead of the crime fighter, go ahead.

All: If submissions keep coming in at the current rate, I'll probably cut off submissions on Friday night. I'll confirm that, or not, Wednesday night.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:38 pm

robertness wrote:
Aerlock wrote:I've got an idea for a bathroom psychic that needs a port-a-potty. He's your typical scrawny, big-brained, potentially crippled, psychic that goes unconscious when he uses his powers. The downside is that he's range-limited to a pretty hefty degree. If he doesn't have line of sight/effect from his meat body he can't affect anything. He'd have a projected body that was essentially just telekinetic force and would have limited mind reading/control. To keep his meat body safe he's cobbled together an armored coffin on wheels that he pushes/carried around with his TK "body" and once the poo hits the fan he sets it somewhere with good sight lines (and coincidentally prominent) on the battle field and goes to town with his projected body.

- Aerlock

Going to have to pass on that one. No offense, but I almost feel like I've been trolled.
OUCH! That wasn't intended as a troll. I was trying to come up with a variation on a Professor X style character. I admit I was a bit tongue in cheek with the description. but was completely serious about the concept. I'll see what else I can come up with to fit the game a little better.

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

Return to “M&M Game Room”