Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

Postby robertness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Next up...

CaptainChaos:

Mechanics look good.

Is Cheryl still performing? Is she living with her aunt, or does she have her own place?

Can we get a description of the "old Halloween costume" or whatever Banshee's wearing now?

Edit: No rush on this, but a picture would be appreciated. Not required, but it helps me keep track of characters mentally.

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 pm

I'll edit the post to include a description of the Sanctum. As for the benefits of being Earth's Master Mage, this is what the description says in the 2E supplement Book of Magic.

This Benefit feat invests you as a Master Mage. In addition to the title and responsibilities, which may grant a bonus for interaction checks with those aware of the occult world, this Benefit allows you to spend a hero point for inspiration to invoke the Secret Circle for advice and guidance. See the following for more information.

The Secret Circle is basically a council of the spirits of past Master Mages that I can call upon for advice. Their description is as follows.

The service of a Master Mage does not end with mortal death. Although the soul passes on from the world of the living, past Master Mages are all part of the Secret Circle, the ranks of enlightened mystics since time immemorial. One of the rights and powers of the current Master Mage is the ability to call upon this spectral council of wise ones for insight and advice.
The Secret Circle is by no means omniscient, although they represent the greatest collection of arcane knowledge in Earth’s dimension and have considerable wisdom. Dark Lords, by their very nature, are solitary magicians and lack such spiritual allies for guidance. It is a fact Master Mages like Eldrich have used to their advantage in the past.
In game terms, the Secret Circle is a part of the Benefit of being Master Mage; spending hero points for inspiration may represent a congress with the Secret Circle, with the Gamemaster passing cryptic clues and useful hints to the player(s) through the spectral mouthpiece.
Gamemasters can also use the Secret Circle as a plot device and adventure hook. The ascended mages have some ability to pass visions and guidance on to any mystic they choose. Since they do not do so often, any vision or charge given by the Secret Circle has considerable weight; mystics ignore them at their own peril!
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:22 pm

badpenny:

Mechanics look good.

Is Lance still a student? If not, does he have a day job?

What are Lance's living arrangements?

All: The half-way point is a good spot for taking a break. Will have more later.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Thank you for picking me for the team; it looks like we've got quite an interesting group!

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:38 pm

robertness wrote:badpenny:

Mechanics look good.

I was thinking that Black Blade could be a recent arrival to the period through a dimensional accident. He would have neither a job, nor a place to stay to start with and would have to work something out.

Another Complication could be that he steals from the bad guys to fund his crime fighting operations (at least in the 21st century). What he gets up to in the 20th, he'd have to make up as he went along.

If that doesn't suit you or the game, he would be contemporary, and still could have the Robin Hood mentality. If that's a little shady, then I'd rather have him a college student than a worker-bee as that would give him more freedom to intervene in bad guy affairs.
Last edited by badpenny on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:56 pm

badpenny wrote:
robertness wrote:badpenny:

Mechanics look good.

I was thinking that Black Blade could be a recent arrival to the period through a dimensional accident. He would have neither a job, nor a place to stay to start with and would have to work something out.

Another Complication could be that he steals from the bad guys to fund his crimefighting operations (at least in the 21st century). What he gets up to in the 20th, he'd have to make up as he went along.

We can work something out along those lines. Hey, it's good enough for Lina Inverse.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Wait, Black Blade is from another century?

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:23 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:Wait, Black Blade is from another century?

As a thought, he could be from 2014 (21st century) and through a dimensional accident, goes back to 1941 (20th century).

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:58 pm

That would be fun. I was thinking of having Black Cat sometimes mention crazy ideas of what the future holds as a tactic to make him seem loony with the comedy being that they're things we know happen.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:22 pm

badpenny wrote:
SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:Wait, Black Blade is from another century?

As a thought, he could be from 2014 (21st century) and through a dimensional accident, goes back to 1941 (20th century).

And I have GMish reasons to enjoy the concept of someone displaced in time if you decide to go that route.

I went with more of an odd ball brigade than I had originally anticipated, but I think it has some potential for fun, adventure, and drama.

Silvercat, your questions:

HeroLab says you've got 2PP too many in That Dame. The difficulty seems to be in your Defense Calculations. As I see it: Dodge 3 Ranks, Parry 3 Ranks, Fortitude 3 Ranks, Toughness 0 Ranks, Will 5 Ranks = 14PP.

Note to GM: I specifically didn’t list Dorothy being captured as a Complication because while she’s a sidekick in a Golden Age game she’s not intended to be a complete pushover. Capturing her should be a big deal.

Happily acknowledged! I'm seeing Dorothy getting Roy out of fixes more often than not, but that will depend on how you run Roy.

I'd appreciate a quick note about Roy's living arrangements in Freedom City. Can be as simple as a hotel room somewhere in town. I just want to know for working things into your introductory post. (The same goes for other characters I've been asking similar questions about.)

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:29 pm

robertness wrote:HeroLab says you've got 2PP too many in That Dame. The difficulty seems to be in your Defense Calculations. As I see it: Dodge 3 Ranks, Parry 3 Ranks, Fortitude 3 Ranks, Toughness 0 Ranks, Will 5 Ranks = 14PP.

That's one of the things I hate about Abilities: with bonuses coming from elsewhere in the build costs are never exact.

Edit.

Will get to the rest in the morning.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 pm

The king shall remain asleep until he is needed.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:44 am

Add a picture to my character's profile. It's a headshot of Marv from Sin City, for those curious.

All credit and praise for the picture go to Bathill8. :3
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:32 am

robertness wrote:I'm seeing Dorothy getting Roy out of fixes more often than not, but that will depend on how you run Roy.

Roy can definitely get himself out of jams so long as it involves something he can use his powers or bluffing on. But otherwise he's overconfident.
robertness wrote:I'd appreciate a quick note about Roy's living arrangements in Freedom City. Can be as simple as a hotel room somewhere in town. I just want to know for working things into your introductory post. (The same goes for other characters I've been asking similar questions about.)

I figure Roy has an up-scale art-deco apartment.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

Postby robertness » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:21 am

Heritage:

For some time she was content to hunt down run-of-the-mill evildoers, but now that her adopted city is part of the war effort, little Griz is doing her part! She's aided the Red Cross, organized children's scrap metal drives and taken her turn on air raid watches.

That will come in time (as in phase 3 of our first adventure). America's only been at war for two weeks, so these things are still being organized.

Submission for another game wrote:The only mortal she calls her friend is Andrew Orlando, the proprietor of The Never-Ending Story, a used bookstore in Riverside; though he's never succeed in getting her to read any books, she loves to look at all the pictures in them, and Andrew often shares his dinner with her. She currently lives at the store in a shoebox high up on a shelf, packed full of shiny odds and ends she's discovered in her travels.

Andrew Orlando and the Never-Ending Story bookstore will fit into this setting if you'd like to give Griz a base of operations.

It's up to you and dreamking to determine if Adrian Eldrich is the wizard Grisselda followed out of Avalon and if he's aware she tagged along.

Otherwise, all looks good.

Return to “M&M Game Room”