Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: Recruiting Closes 4/4 [3e]

Postby Nillaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 am

With no need for sleep, my character's lifestyle might change. He's used to working a majority of it and spending time with others off it mostly. But now he has another six to eight hours to take into account.

Nothing major right now, maybe digging a new garden for the neighborhood or such, but I feel like that could be a good direction of character growth in the future.

Edit Also, thanks Robert for the ruling and Penny for that bit of knowledge. I'd noticed the rarity of Fatigue inducing effects and wondered why it was a five rank choice, rather than a two rank choice. Got the idea that sleep might be covered under it after a Power Profile mentioned an Immunity to Temporal Effects also covered aging.
Last edited by Nillaman on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby bi0philia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 am

How about a era-appropriate Assassins creed influenced character?

Parkour movement, commando like skills, stealth, and a arsenal of weapons would be his repertoire.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:20 am

Nillaman wrote:Edit Also, thanks Robert for the ruling and Penny for that bit of knowledge. I'd noticed the rarity of Fatigue inducing effects and wondered why it was a five rank choice, rather than a two rank choice. Got the idea that sleep might be covered under it after a Power Profile mentioned an Immunity to Temporal Effects also covered aging.

Also take into consideration whether you really need Life Support and Immunity (Fatigue) compared to the Great Endurance Advantage--it might be a better fit. With a +5 to your Fort for checks against things like resisting fatigue, holding your breath, dealing with starvation or thirst, hot or cold environments, and to resist suffocation and drowning. That's a large part of Life Support and you'd be saving 14 points!

Now, of course, you wouldn't be flat out Immune, but a +17 Fort check goes a lot of the way there (especially considering how often you'd encounter these environmental challenges any way).

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Potential revision I'm putting here, rather than on my main sheet to let Roger take a look.

Abilities - 92 Points.
Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 6, Dexterity 3, Fighting 8, Intellect 3, Awareness 4, Presence 2.

Powers - 16 Points
Accelerated Metabolism: Regeneration 2.
Nowhere To Run: Movement 2 (Swinging, Wall-Crawling).
Unstoppable Charge: Speed 4, Leaping 6.

Advantages - 6 Points.
Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Interpose, Languages 1 (Native, French. English), Ultimate Effort (Toughness Checks).

Skills - 15 Points.
Acrobatics 2 (+8), Athletics 2 (+12), Expertise: Current Events 3 (+6), Expertise: History 5 (+8), Expertise: Popular Culture 3 (+6), Insight 2 (+6), Perception 4 (+8), Ranged Combat: Throwing 5 (+8), Treatment 1 (+4), Vehicles 3 (+6).

Defenses - 6 Points.
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10, Will 8.

Complications
Enemy: Out of the saboteurs who blew up his old workplace, Renaud only managed to catch a few. It's likely that their remaining members will seek to make life hard for the juggernaut.
Motivation: Although he does not engage in vigilantism unless presented with immediate danger to himself or others, the veteran will never back down from defending innocent people, no matter what.
Relationship: Family, friends, co-workers, bosses, the strongman maintains a number of connections around Freedom City that could end up in all kinds of trouble.

Total: Abilities 92 + Powers 16 + Advantages 6 + Skills 15 + Defenses 6 = 130 Points.

As a side effect to his mutations, Renaud's hands and feet might have enlarged, giving him an ape-like appearance, in the manner of the original version of Beast from X-Men. A number of Golden Age powerhouses tended to have that design as well.

Given his graying hair, he might have also gotten the nickname 'Silverback' from folks around town.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Nillaman: Hate to be Mr. Wishy-washy here, but pick the build you'd like to play.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Well, I went back and forth with myself but between the WWII setting and a bit more freedom in my work schedule, this seems as good a time as any to throw my hat back in.

Wintersmith
Wintersmith - PL 9

Strength 2, Stamina 5, Agility 3, Dexterity 1, Fighting 0, Intellect 8, Awareness 3, Presence 0

Advantages
Eidetic Memory, Fearless, Inventor

Skills
Expertise: Chemical Engineering 2 (+10), Insight 4 (+7), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 4 (+4), Ranged Combat: Winter Control 8 (+9), Technology 4 (+12), Treatment 2 (+10)

Powers
Cold Resistance: Immunity 1 (Environmental Condition: Cold)
Treated Suit (Removable)
. . Bullet-proof: Protection 6 (+6 Toughness)
. . Fire-proof: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Fire; Limited - Half Effect)
Winter Control
. . Block of Ice: Concentration Snare 7 (DC 17; Accurate: +2, Concentration)
. . Draining Chill: Broad Simultaneous Weaken 7 (Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 17; Accurate: +2, Broad: Saves, Increased Range: ranged, Simultaneous)
. . Ice Maker: Create 9 (Volume: 500 cft., DC 19; Impervious, Innate, Precise)
. . Neutralize Combustion: Burst Area Nullify 9 (Counters: Fire/Combustion, DC 19; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Precise, Simultaneous, Subtle: subtle)
. . Winter Winds: Move Object 9 (12 tons, DC 24; Damaging, Indirect: fixed point, directed away, Precise)
Winter Movement Array
. . Cloud Surfing: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . Ice Sliding
. . . . Movement: Movement 3 (Environmental Adaptation: Ice/Cold, Swinging, Water Walking 1: you sink if stopped)
. . . . Speed: Speed 4 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)

Offense
Initiative +3
Block of Ice: Concentration Snare 7, +11 (DC Dog 17)
Draining Chill: Broad Simultaneous Weaken 7, +11 (DC Fort 17)
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 12)
Neutralize Combustion: Burst Area Nullify 9 (DC Will 19)
Throw, +1 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 17)
Winter Winds: Move Object 9, +9 (DC 24)

Complications
Identity: William Nesmith : Wintersmith is secretly William Nesmith.
Motivation: Responsibility : Will believes in using his powers to help whoever he can.
Prejudice: Conscientious Objector : Will is morally opposed to killing and violence. In this time of war, many people assume he is a coward at best.
Honor: Quaker : As a Quaker, Will believes in non-violence and temperance and tries to show kindness whenever possible. He does not drink and abhors hurting others.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 9, Toughness 11, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 54 + Advantages 3 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 135

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2014 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Background: William Nesmith spent his life trying to follow the calls of his heart and his mind. As a gifted scientist, he spent the years before the war attempting to build a better world for mankind. He strove to be an upstanding member of his community and a friend to all and be an enemy to none. But when the war broke out, Will's beliefs required him to file as a conscientious objector. Though he opposed the Axis, he was not willing to take life. He soon found himself the subject of derision and hatred by his neighbors and former friends. He was branded a coward and a traitor. But he would not stop trying to make a difference. He developed technology to save lives, as he would never make a weapon, but few were willing to give him the time of day when he tried to find manufacturers. Brilliant inventions languished unknown but Will continued his work.

When a 5th Column group sabotaged a local factory, Will saw a chance to put his work to use saving lives. Using an experimental fabric designed to resist fire and other harm and an untested chemical flame extinguisher, he rushed into save the trapped workers. Unfortunately, the extinguisher was stronger than he thought. Will was doused with untested chemicals and found he had gained control over cold and ice. Taking the name Wintersmith, he works to save lives from the Axis powers and more mundane criminals.
Last edited by The_Watchman on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 pm

robertness wrote:Nillaman: Hate to be Mr. Wishy-washy here, but pick the build you'd like to play.

Oh yes, very rude of you. XD I'll make a choice before the end of tomorrow and let you know.

Apologies for the last minute editing when it's so close to the deadline.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 pm

And I decided to go with the Ape Man look. :3 The profile and descriptor's been updated.

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Here is a tweaked version of Banshee along with a background.

The picture isn't quite what I was looking for. The costume Cheryl wears as Banshee is similar except for normal skintone, a long flowing white wig, and a domino mask.

Cheryl Andrews aka Banshee
5’ 4” 117lbs brown hair green eyes

Banshee - PL 9

Strength 0, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 4, Fighting 1, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
Attractive, Equipment 2, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Athletics 4 ranks (+4), Close Combat: Hypnotic Song: 8 ranks (+9), Expertise (PRE): Singer 8 ranks (+11), Expertise: Streetwise 4 ranks (+5), Insight 4 ranks (+6), Intimidation 2 ranks (+5), Investigation 4 ranks (+5), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 6 ranks (+9), Stealth 2 ranks (+4)

Powers
Enhanced Hearing: Senses 1 (Extended: Hearing 1: x10)

Hypnotic Song: Concentration Cumulative Affliction 9 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 19; Concentration, Cumulative)
AE Deafening Shriek: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 9 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 19; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged; Limited: Hearing Only)
AE Sonic Blast: Damage 9 (Alternate; DC 24; Increased Range: ranged)
AE Vertigo: Progressive Cone Area Affliction 9 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Will, DC 19; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, Progressive; Sense-dependent: Hearing)

Protected Hearing: Immunity 5 (Damage Effect: Sonic Effects; Limited - Half Effect)

Sonic Shield: Force Field 6 (+6 Toughness)

Voice Projection: Feature 1

Equipment:
Binoculars, Flashlight, Knife, Light Pistol

Offense:
Initiative +2
Deafening Shriek: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 9 (DC Fort 19)
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 10)
Hypnotic Song: Concentration Cumulative Affliction 9, +9 (DC Will 19)
Knife, +1 (DC 16)
Light Pistol, +9 (DC 18)
Sonic Blast: Damage 9, +9 (DC 24)
Throw, +9 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +1 (DC 15)
Vertigo: Progressive Cone Area Affliction 9 (DC Will 19)

Complications
Fame: As a semi famous singer, Cheryl is recognized by a moderate amount of fans. She has had one song that reached the top 40 and has appeared on Broadway.

Motivation: Justice: Cheryl was attacked while walking home and the criminals were not arrested. The police insisted that she had made it up since the men were fine, upstanding citizens.

Power Loss: Powers will not work if she is unable to speak due to being gagged or an illness like a sore throat.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 41 + Advantages 9 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Defenses 28 = 135

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2014 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Background:

Cheryl grew up on a farm in Vermont. She displayed a talent for singing as a young girl. She sang in the church choir and performed the National Anthem at local sporting events. She was popular and well known in the local area but she dreamed of more. She wanted to be a star on the radio.

One day she was discovered by a talent scout. He convinced Cheryl and her family that she could be a star just like Billy Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald or the Andrews Sisters. Cheryl was excited and begged her family to let her go. They were concerned about a young girl all alone in the big city but the talent scout assured them that she would be living with a bunch of others in a dormitory to start with. Cheryl’s parents thought it over and eventually agreed.

Cheryl was soon to find out that the Big Apple was not as glamorous as she thought. Sure, she went on auditions, sang as a minor cast member in a couple of small Broadway shows, and waited tables to make ends meet. She eventually was given a meager recording contract with Decca records. She started out as a studio backup singer. It paid better than waiting on tables and it was what Cheryl loved doing. After a few years, the studio gave her a chance and had her record a single of her own. It was released nationwide and reached number 39 on the top 100 list. Her follow up single failed to crack the top 50. Cheryl was dejected but landed a job as a lounge singer. The pay was good and she got to wear nice clothes.

Cheryl’s life was going well. She met a nice man who worked as a chauffeur. He treated her well and bought her nice things. They even talked about getting married someday. Cheryl’s happiness came crashing to a screeching halt one day when her boyfriend turned up dead. Not long after, a few well-dressed men came to visit her. They roughed her up and asked her where the money was. She insisted she had no idea what they were talking about. They told her that her boyfriend had been the driver on a bank heist that had gone bad. He got away but the money was never found. They figured he must of told her where he hid the dough. After they beat her some more, they left. Cheryl reported the attack to the cops but they insisted she probably did something to deserve it. After all, the men she described were fine upstanding citizens. Pillars of the community even.

Cheryl decided she had to leave the city. She didn’t want to return home but she had an aunt that lived in Freedom City. She decided to move there.

Cheryl’s has no idea where she got her powers. All she knows is that one day she was at a county fair demonstrating how to shatter crystal using her voice when some members of the audience became ill. Gradually she realized she could use her voice to do other things as well, especially to hurt people that deserved it. She started sneaking out at night wearing an old Halloween costume she found. At first she just hunted down common criminals like muggers. Over time, she expanded to going after organized crime, corrupt politicians, and more.
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 am

Recruiting is now closed. I'll be selecting characters from those that have been submitted prior to this post.

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest in this game.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: Cast Selection

Postby robertness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks again to everyone who submitted characters and expressed interest in this game. There are some excellent characters that got left out just because I lack the GM chops to make this work with more than six PCs. I definitely have characters selected as alternates if something happens that requires me to find replacements.

And now the announcement you've all been waiting for: The heroes selected for this game are:

Adrian Eldrich by dreamking89
Banshee by Captain Chaos
The Black Blade by badpenny
The Black Cat by SilvercatMoonpaw
Grisselda of Avalon by Heritage367
Silverback by Nillaman

Now that the selections have been made, I'll start doing some serious build reviews for the selected characters before we get started.

Thanks again for every submission. I look forward to seeing how these adventures develop.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: Recruiting Closed

Postby The_Watchman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:42 am

Congrats everyone!
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:57 am

Congrats all! I wish I'd been able to get my stuff together and get my background finished up.

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:22 am

Looks like an interesting group of heroes. It should be an interesting game.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

Postby robertness » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 pm

And now it begins:

dreamking: I have a couple questions about Adrian Eldrich,

What attack do you want his Ranged Combat Skill applied to? I'm willing to allow it for the entire Magic array.

I'd like a description and stats for Eldrich's Sanctum.

What benefits does being Earth's Master Mage confer?

Return to “M&M Game Room”