Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: Recruiting Closes 4/4 [3e]

Postby robertness » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:14 pm

A list of mostly completed submissions to date:

The Black Blade by badpenny
Grisselda of Avalon by Heritage367
Bulwark by Nillaman
Arthur Pendragon by jemal
Adrian Eldrich by dreamking89

If you've expressed interest or floated a concept, I'm not neglecting you. Just wanted to get the submissions on one list.

I have something of a stress headache today, so I haven't had the concentration to look over Bulwark, Pendragon, or Eldrich. Sorry. I'll get to them tomorrow.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:54 pm

robertness wrote:I have something of a stress headache today, so I haven't had the concentration to look over Bulwark, Pendragon, or Eldrich. Sorry. I'll get to them tomorrow.

No worries Robertness. I've got my guy in ahead of the deadline. :3 Can wait.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:00 pm

I've decided to go with a sonic based hero. Still working on tweaking the build and making a background.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: Recruiting [3e]

Postby Aerlock » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:53 pm

robertness wrote:Aerlock: I look forward to seeing your build. Glad your response to my initial reaction wasn't so negative you just put this thread on the ignore list.

And here's my first draft. I'm still not set on a name and really need to flesh out the background more but I have the main build together. I'll add point totals and do a general clean-up with the next go round.

EDIT 1: Updated build slightly. I took out some left overs from when I was going to make him a minor inventor also. I used the points gained back to get a couple more Advantages and add the TK Sight power. I also shifted some of his Dodge and Parry points into a power to better indicate that its his power that makes him not get hit by everything and not any kind of skill on his part. I also removed the Complications relating to joining the Army since we'll mostly be staying in Freedom City. I think I've got the build where I want it I just need to get the background together.

Marion "Psycho-Protector" Brody - PL 9

Abilities 16 pts
  • Strength -1
  • Stamina 0
  • Agility -2
  • Dexterity 2
  • Fighting -1
  • Intellect 7
  • Awareness 3
  • Presence 0

Advantages 15 pts
  • Beginner's Luck
  • Eidetic Memory
  • Equipment 1
  • Fascinate (Expertise)
  • Languages 4
  • Luck 4
  • Speed of Thought
  • Trance
  • Well-informed

Skills 19 pts
  • Expertise: Geography 3 (+10)
  • Expertise: History 4 (+11)
  • Expertise: Mentalism/Psychic phenomena 2 (+9)
  • Expertise: Military Vehicles 2 (+9)
  • Insight 10 (+13)
  • Investigation 3 (+10)
  • Perception 7 (+10)
  • Ranged Combat: Shotgun 2 (+4)
  • Technology 2 (+9)
  • Treatment 3 (+10)

Powers 63 pts
  • Mental Powers (Dynamic Array, 27 pts, 4 Alternates) 36 pts
    • Pain: Damage 9 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 3/r], DC 24; Alternate Resistance: Will, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited: Completely negated by Cover/Concealment)
    • Psychokinesis: Move Object 9 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 2/r], 12 tons; Increased Range: perception; Limited: Completely negated by Cover/Concealment)
    • Psychokinetic Flight: Burst Area Flight 5 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 4/r], Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Selective)
    • Sleep: Cumulative Affliction 9 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 3/r], 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Asleep, Resisted by: Will, DC 19; Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited: Completely negated by Cover/Concealment)
    • Telepathy: Cumulative Mind Reading 9 ([0 active, 0/27 PP, 3/r], DC 19; Cumulative, Sensory Link; Limited: Completely negated by Cover/Concealment)
  • Psychometabolic Boost: Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds; Persistent; Source: Trance) 2 pts
  • Telekinetic Field 22 pts
    • Telekinetic Deflection: Enhanced Trait 10 (Traits: Dodge +5 (+7), Parry +5 (+7); Permanent) 10 pts
    • Telekinetic Force Field: Force Field 10 (+10 Toughness) 10 pts
    • Telekinetic Grip: Extra Limbs 2 (2 extra limbs, Projection; Quirk: No Improved Grab) 3 pts
    • Telekinetic Sight: Senses 2 (Extended: Touch 1: x10, Ranged: Touch; Sustained) 2 pts

Equipment 5 ep
  • Binoculars
  • Camo Clothing
  • Flashlight
  • Leather Jacket

Offense
  • Initiative +7
  • Grab, -1 (DC Spec 9)
  • Knife, -1 (DC 15)
  • Pain: Damage 9 (DC Will 24)
  • Psychokinesis: Move Object 9 (DC 19)
  • Shotgun, +4 (DC 20 )
  • Sleep: Cumulative Affliction 9 (DC Will 19)
  • Telepathy: Cumulative Mind Reading 9 (DC Will 19)
  • Throw, +2 (DC 14)
  • Unarmed, -1 (DC 14)

Languages
  • Arabic
  • English
  • German
  • Greek
  • Hebrew
  • Japanese
  • Latin
  • Russian
  • Turkish

Defense 22 pts
  • Dodge 7
  • Parry 7
  • Fortitude 9
  • Toughness 10
  • Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 16 + Powers 63 + Advantages 15 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 135

Complications
  • Coward: Marion is a coward. If attacked he will flee, especially in Close Combat. He has no problem initiating combat if he thinks he's in the advantage or unobserved. Despite his cowardice, he still attempts to do what is right and protect others.
  • Honor: Marion attempts to live up to the romanticized version of the knights code. Protect innocents, be courteous and chivalrous, etc.
  • Motivation: Patriotism: He's out to defend his country, and the world, from the Nazis.
  • Temper: Disrespect or abuse of history or historical artifacts, especially by the "good guys", send him into a rage. He's liable to start putting the offenders to sleep, or causing them great pain depending on their level of offense and if they are a "good guy" or a "bad guy".
  • Temper: Marion is NOT a girls name.

Background
History/Classics professor at FCU.
As his powers developed so did his sense of honor and needing to protect others.
Initial forays into heroism/vigilantism were limited to the college campuses of Freedom City.
He's the stereotypical bumbling professor.
Think Marcus Brody (hence the name) crossed with Daniel Jackson (movie version)
Last edited by Aerlock on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 am

Okay, I think I managed to come up with a human character I'm actually comfortable with.
The Black Cat
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Costume: black suit, black shoes black fedora, white shirt and tie, black mask that covers the top half of his face and even his nose
Base: Up-scale art-deco apartment

To hear Roy Nickel tell the story he got stranded in Egypt, bluffed his way into a team of tomb robbers, was miraculously able to survive the temple filled with angry cats when all others died, and then was offered the blessing of Bast saving him at sword-point. Or maybe he was kidnapped by the Black Jaguar tribe in Mexico but their god decided it would rather have a mortal champion than a snack. Or perhaps it was during a secret undercover mission to in Japan which he can’t talk about except for the part where he tricked a cat goblin into sharing some of its power. In all those stories his “man”-servant, who has frustratingly hard to place features, was gifted to him to make sure he didn’t abuse that power.

Dorothy herself just rolls her eyes at the umpteenth version of her master’s story and gets on with the work.

However he acquired them Roy Nickel is determined to use his powers and skill of stealth and deception to protect the ungifted from the things that hide in the shadow.

Complications:
Trouble -- Bragging: Even though he’s a sworn Good Guy Roy is partly motivated by the desire to be recognized. He can often be duped by flattery and will probably waste time blabbing if someone looks like they’re interested in something he has to say.
Trouble -- Fast Mouth: Roy sometimes lets out just one more comment than he should have.
Prejudice -- Whipped: Dorothy basically run’s Roy’s life, and he lets her. Some people in this day and age will take that as a sign of weakness.
Note to GM: I specifically didn’t list Dorothy being captured as a Complication because while she’s a sidekick in a Golden Age game she’s not intended to be a complete pushover. Capturing her should be a big deal.

PL 9/135 pp

Abilities
Str +7; Sta +6; Agl +5; Dex +2; Fgt +10; Int +0; Awe +3; Pre +1

Advantages
Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Sidekick 12, Taunt, Takedown

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+12)
Deception 8 (+9)
Intimidation 9 (+10)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 7 (+12)

Powers 38 + 2 + 6 + 8 = 53
Power of the Cat: Enhanced Abilities (Str +4, Sta +3, Agl +2, Fgt +5, Awe +2); Enhanced Skills 4 (Intimidate 8 )
Claws: Strength-based Damage 1 (Improved Critical [19-20])
Feline Senses: Senses 3 (low-light vision, acute scent, ultra-hearing), Enhanced Skills 2 (Perception 4)
Feline Movement: Leaping 2 [30 ft]; Speed 4 [30 MPH]; Movement 1 (Safe Fall)

Offense
Initiative +9
Unarmed, close +10 -- damage (+7) 22 Tgh
Claws, close +10 -- damage (+8) 23 Tgh (Crit 19-20)
Grapple, close +10 -- Str 17 vs Str/Dodge
Trip, close +10 -- Ath 1d20+12 vs Ath/Acro (I choose)

Defense
Dodge +12
Parry +12
Fortitude +9
Toughness +6
Will +9

Abilities 34 + Advantages 17 + Skills 13 + Powers 53 + Defenses 18 = 135

That Dame With The Sword
Hair: Black
Eyes: Dark brown
Costume: domino mask, fedora, normal street clothes otherwise

PL 4/60 pp

Str +1; Sta +1; Agl +2; Dex +2; Fgt +2; Int +0; Awe +1; Pre +0

Equipment: Sword (Strength-based Damage 3), Throwing Knives (Ranged Multiattack Damage 1)
Advantages: Defense Roll 2, Equipment 2, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Set-Up, Startle
Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+8), Athletics 5 (+6), Close Combat: Sword 2 (+4), Deception 4 (+4), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged Combat: Throwing 3 (+5), Sleight of Hand 4 (+6), Stealth 8 (+10)
Offense: Init +6, Sword +4 (close, damage (+4) 19 Tgh), Throwing Knives +5 (ranged, Multiattack damage (+1) 16 Tgh), Unarmed +4 (close, damage (+1) 16 Tgh)
Defenses: Dodge +5, Parry +5, Fortitude +3, Toughess +3 (+1 Vulnerable), Will +5

Abilities 18 + Powers 0 + Advantages 8 + Skills 22 + Defenses 12 = 60 pp
Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:36 pm

So, will we be based in the US or fight in Europe?

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:So, will we be based in the US or fight in Europe?

robertness wrote:After sleeping on it, I'm going to keep the characters based in Freedom City. I feel more comfortable messing with a fictional American city that has some background created already than a British city either fictional or real. We are dealing with Global War here, so some travel will be involved.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Udating the Submissions List:

The Black Blade by badpenny
Grisselda of Avalon by Heritage367
Bulwark by Nillaman
Arthur Pendragon by jemal
Adrian Eldrich by dreamking89
Marion "Psycho-Protector" Brody by Aerlock
The Black Cat by Silvercat Moonpaw

We're getting to the kind of tough decisions that every GM should be forced to make. I haven't done an extensive review, but on first inspection every submission looks good.

Just to confirm: The heroes will be based in Freedom City.

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Here is a quick build for my submission. I may tweak it some more. Background to follow soon.
Banshee - PL 9
Cheryl Andrews
5' 3" 116 lbs Brown Hair, Green Eyes

Strength 0, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 4, Fighting 1, Intellect 1, Awareness 2, Presence 3

Advantages
Attractive, Equipment 4, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Athletics 4 (+4), Close Combat: Hypnotic Song: Concentration Cumulative Affliction 9 8 (+9), Expertise (PRE): Singer 8 (+11), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+5), Insight 4 (+6), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+9)

Powers

Enhanced Hearing: Senses 1 (Extended: Hearing 1: x10)
Hypnotic Song: Concentration Cumulative Affliction 9 (1st degree: Entranced, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 19; Concentration, Cumulative)
AE: Deafening Shriek: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 9 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 19; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Cumulative, Increased Range: ranged; Limited: Hearing Only)
AE: Sonic Blast: Damage 9 (Alternate; DC 24; Increased Range: ranged)
AE: Vertigo: Progressive Cone Area Affliction 9 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Will, DC 19; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, Progressive; Sense-dependent: Hearing)

Protected Hearing: Immunity 5 (Damage Effect: Sonic Effects; Limited - Half Effect)

Sonic Shield: Force Field 6 (+6 Toughness)

Voice Projection: Feature 1

Equipment
Binoculars, Flashlight, Knife, Light Pistol, Motorcycle

Offense
Initiative +2
Deafening Shriek: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 9 (DC Fort 19)
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 10)
Hypnotic Song: Concentration Cumulative Affliction 9, +9 (DC Will 19)
Knife, +1 (DC 16)
Light Pistol, +9 (DC 18)
Sonic Blast: Damage 9, +9 (DC 24)
Throw, +9 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +1 (DC 15)
Vertigo: Progressive Cone Area Affliction 9 (DC Will 19)

Complications
Fame: As a semi famous singer, Cheryl is recognized by a moderate amount of fans. She has had one song that reached the top 40 and has appeared on Broadway.
Motivation: Justice: Her sister was attacked while walking home and the criminals were not arrested. The police insisted that she had provoked her attackers by wearing scandalous clothing.
Power Loss: Powers will not work if she is unable to speak due to being gagged or an illness like a sore throat.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 41 + Advantages 11 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Defenses 28 = 135

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2014 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

metool2
Zealot
Zealot

Postby metool2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:16 pm

Alright, been mulling over ideas for the last few days. Rejected concepts was an Avian hero, a super-accurate gunslinger police officer, and a female witch. Let's see how my concept I chose goes.

Name: Fred Skolton
Alias: Mister Merry, Ringmaster of 'Merry Circus!'

Background:

Fred was a highschool dropout who ran away to join the circus. A unique individual, he discovered that he had the innate ability to 'Read' people and get a sense of what kind of person he was dealing with and how they felt. Feeling drawn to make the world a happier place, he used his ability to cheer up everyone he met, and began to develop an affinity to 'Happy' feelings, able to channel and harness ambient joy and delight to perform miraculous feats.

Now Fred has settled down in Freedom City with a cadre of entertainers to help spread cheer and happiness throughout the city, and defend it from those who would do harm to the innocent civilians.

[Will try to stat him up tommorow. Idea will be largely socially based, but with item creation powers and increased effectiveness tied to joy in his surroundings. He's strongest when around happiest people, weakest when around sorrow. ]
" This flag says I will fight until only my bones remain. "
Kamen Rider Builds

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:52 pm

So a thought came to me as I looked at the Fatigue Effects entry on my Immunity's list.

Does it cover the need to sleep? Just curious.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:35 pm

Here is an interpretation of Rosie the Riveter as the daughter of Tesla's old age. While at this time, Nikola is in New York working on his "death ray" Rosie is more practical, working on magnetic acceleration and control with her rivet gun and magno disks.

Rosie the Riveter- PL 9

Strength 2, Stamina 3, Agility 0, Dexterity 4, Fighting 2, Intellect 4, Awareness 5, Presence 2

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Attractive, Defensive Roll 2, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 5, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2: Sniper shot: Blast 7, Improvised Tools, Improvised Weapon, Inventor, Languages 1, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Speed of Thought, Teamwork, Well-informed

Skills
Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+6), Expertise: Science 4 (+16/+8), Insight 5 (+10), Investigation 6 (+10), Perception 5 (+10), Ranged Combat: Smart Rivet Gun 5 (+9), Technology 4 (+16/+8), Vehicles 6 (+10)

Powers
Battle Helmet (Removable)
Protection: Protection 1 (+1 Toughness)
Senses: Senses 5 (Extended: Vision 2: x100, Infravision, Low-light Vision, Radio)

Blood of Tesla (Advantages: Eidetic Memory, Inventor)
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Technology +8 (+16), Expertise +8 (+16))
Machines like me: Feature 1
Manipulate Technology: Move Object 1 (100 lbs.; Increased Range: perception, Precise; Limited: operating mechanical devices)
Quickness: Quickness 6 (Perform routine tasks in -6 time ranks; Limited to One Type: Mental, Tiring)

Magno Disks (Removable (indestructible))
Deflect: Deflect 10 ([10 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r])
Flight: Flight 7 (Alternate; [0 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r+3], Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round, Advantages: Favored Environment: Air; Aquatic, Precise; Platform)
Power-lifting: Power-lifting 10 (Alternate; [0 active, 10/10 PP, 1/r], +10 STR for lifting)

Rail Riveter (Easily Removable)
Riveter : Blast 9 (DC 24)
Armor piercing: Blast 6 (Alternate; DC 21; Penetrating 6)
Bank shot: Blast 8 (Alternate; DC 23; Ricochet 2: 2 bounces)
Flack: Cone Area Blast 6 (Alternate; DC 21; Cone Area: 60 feet cone)
Rapid fire: Blast 6 (Alternate; DC 21; Multiattack)
Sniper shot: Blast 7 (Alternate; DC 22, Advantages: Improved Critical 2; Extended Range 2)
Variable settings: Enhanced Trait 5 (Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Concealment), Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover))

Equipment
Chain-mail, Gas Mask, New Constructed Item (Flash-bang, Fragmentation Grenade, Tear Gas Grenade), Stun Ammo, Suppressor, Targeting Scope

Offense
Initiative +4
Armor piercing: Blast 6, +9 (DC 21)
Bank shot: Blast 8, +9 (DC 23)
Flack: Cone Area Blast 6 (DC 21)
Flash-bang, +4 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Fragmentation Grenade, +4 (DC Dog 15)
Grab, +2 (DC Spec 12)
Manipulate Technology: Move Object 1 (DC 11)
Rapid fire: Blast 6, +9 (DC 21)
Riveter : Blast 9, +9 (DC 24)
Sniper shot: Blast 7, +9 (DC 22)
Tear Gas Grenade, +4 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Throw, +4 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 17)

Complications
Prejudice: Woman in a man's world
Responsibility: Scion of Tesla

Languages
English, Russian

Defense
Dodge 0, Parry 2, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8/4, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 50 + Advantages 16 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 4 = 135

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:28 am

Nillaman wrote:So a thought came to me as I looked at the Fatigue Effects entry on my Immunity's list.

Does it cover the need to sleep? Just curious.

Steve said in the 2e ORQ that it applied to the normal exertion and fatigue-inducing powers and effects. Personally, I'd fold sleep in there since Fatigue-based effects are rare enough and you're paying 5 points for it.

But you hardly need it with a Fortitude of 12. All of the Fort based checks are DC 10 to begin with, so you're going to automatically succeed for a couple of intervals against most Fort-y hazards.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:22 am

Marion "Psycho-Protector" Brody has been cleaned up a bit. I tweaked the build slightly, added points everywhere and hopefully made it easier to read. I am still working on the background for him. I don't know if I'll have it by the end of Friday though, as my kids are off from school that day and I don't know how much time I'll get to sit at a computer and work on it. Hopefully I've got a good enough outline of his personality in place with his complications and the few bullet points I have.

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:25 am

Nillaman: I'm not a big one for making sleep deprivation a story element, so the answer is yes include sleep in the Immunity to Fatigue.

Submissions for Rosie and Banshee acknowledged.

I should plan on saying to heck with my blood pressure and have full strength coffee Saturday because I'll have some tough choices to make.

Return to “M&M Game Room”