Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Freedom's Heroes at War: OOC

Postby badpenny » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:54 pm

There were lots of public phone booths and the calls would cost you a nickel. You had to contact an operator to place a long distance call. Area codes came much later and might not even be known for people who didn't make long-distance calls (now you can't even place a call even if it's local to you without the area code).

The police had dedicated Police call boxes placed strategically around the city for the beat officer to call in to the local precinct.

Probably in a big city like Freedom City the numbers were seven digit, but in smaller towns they could be six or even five digit!

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:18 pm

badpenny wrote:There were lots of public phone booths and the calls would cost you a nickel. You had to contact an operator to place a long distance call. Area codes came much later and might not even be known for people who didn't make long-distance calls (now you can't even place a call even if it's local to you without the area code).
Yeah, easiest way to use a phone is dial Zero and have the operator connect you by giving her (always a girl) the number.

The police had dedicated Police call boxes placed strategically around the city for the beat officer to call in to the local precinct.

And in cities with miserable weather like London, the police call boxes were inside blue booths. Though they were normally smaller on the inside.

Probably in a big city like Freedom City the numbers were seven digit, but in smaller towns they could be six or even five digit!

And if you were really in the sticks, you got a party line: several families sharing one phone number.

Really, I'm not that old! I just watch too many old movies.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:26 am

I've seen the recent posts in the IC thread. A little too much for me to respond to during my lunch break, so I won't have replies until I get home from work.

You are not being ignored.

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:17 pm

I am pretty limited to posting after I get home from work. My employer has blocked a lot of websites including this one.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:24 pm

No worries. As long as everyone can get on daily we can keep the pace going pretty well.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:22 am

I've been reluctant to provide more exposition from Bradley until everyone is gathered at the office. It looks like the only one who hasn't made his appearance yet is Silverback. If we don't have anything from him by after dinner tonight (roughly 7 pm EDT), I'll move things along without him.

By the way, enjoyable RP from all so far. Keep up the good work.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Whoa, wait, what? O.o I've been waiting for a cue to come in.

Edit: Apologies for cutting the introduction short like that. Figured it'd be best to not hold everyone up by explaining things again. >.< I'll try to be more aware of when my character should take action in the future.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Historical Tidbit: I actually knew the baker's daughter from Bradley's story of the false arrest. They were in San Diego, not Freedom City, and they got shipped to Tulle Lake, CA, but the essentials of the story were the same. Gives a little insight to why the FBI's stretched so thin that Bradley's calling in caped adventurers.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Anyone ever watch Foyle's War? It's set in England, so it's a bit different, but one of the best explorations of the period I've ever seen!

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:53 pm

@GM: Black Cat used claws not blades, and Dame used knives not a sword. Nit-picky I know, but in case it's ever relevant I want to make sure I've done what I can to make things right.

As for what exactly Black Cat's claws are: I'm going to say they're ghostly supernatural projections rather than physical or a manufactured weapon.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I'll make the appropriate edits. Really should have posted results as I saw them instead of going for one big post.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 am

I was curious if these docks were made of stone or wood. The later would certainly be a lot more vulnerable to potential destruction at superhuman hands. Or folks with grenades.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am

Nillaman wrote:I was curious if these docks were made of stone or wood. The later would certainly be a lot more vulnerable to potential destruction at superhuman hands. Or folks with grenades.

The answer is... Wood.

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 pm

I apologize for not posting for a few days. The internet service at my vacation home was not working properly.

Heritage367
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Heritage367 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 am

For your edification, a selection of historical Sears Christmas catalogs; nice way to see what folks were buying around the time of our story!

Return to “M&M Game Room”