Freedom League: Rebirth (IC)-Chapter 1-Malice in Freedomland

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Freedom League: Rebirth (IC)-Chapter 1-Malice in Freedomland

Postby dreamking89 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:20 pm

Freedom City, City Center, 8 PM

The nights have been the worst part since they vanished.

During the day, Freedom City still resembled the shining beacon of human accomplishment that it had always been. People still walked the streets or drove to their jobs, the architectural wonders of Dr. Metropolis and various other Freedom City architects still reached for the clouds themselves, and the Sentry Statue still stood overlooking the ocean, reminding everyone of Freedom's greatest superhero and the sacrifice he made to save them all.

But at night, the confidence of the city vanished. Streets seemed a bit dingier and alleyways a bit darker. Fewer people walked the streets at night, and those who did moved quickly, constantly looking over their shoulder. Even police officers seemed a bit less confident and more wound up, knowing that nothing now stood between them and the super powered criminals they were up against.

At Freedom's center, this lingering shadow over the city was magnified by Freedom Hall. Once the local headquarters of the Freedom League, it now was a monument to all the world had lost. The Hall had remained empty since the League vanished, it's doors closed to supers and normal citizens alike. Still it stood, like a gravestone to the heroes who no one was even sure were dead in the first place.

It was on this strange night that you all find yourself heading for Freedom Hall.
Last edited by dreamking89 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Freedom League: Rebirth (IC)- Prologue

Postby Ysariel » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Starbolt
Condition: Normal / HP: 1

dreamking89 wrote:
You'd think growing up among a spacefaring civilization would make you less amazed by the night sky. Yet here you are again, lying atop a tower of the structure the humans call "Pyramid Plaza" and looking up at the stars. You wonder if any of the millions of stars you're looking at is your home planet. If one of the stars has a planet orbiting that Daedalus and the rest of the Freedom League is on. You traveled to this planet in order to help the Freedom League protect their planet, but now you're not sure how you can do that without....

Beep Beep Whooooo

A strange sound snaps you out of your contemplation as you realize you aren't alone on the skyscraper. Floating in front of you is a bronze spherical robot, about the size of a beach ball. Sticking out from the sphere, along with a tiny pair of decorative metal wings, were a pair of thin claws, holding a large brown envelope. The robot says nothing, merely holds the envelope out in front of itself, presenting it to you. After taking it, the robot zooms off into the night, vanishing from your line of sight.

You carefully open the envelope and allow the contents to fall into your hand. Inside is a device that appears to be one of those strange rectangles humans use to communicate with each other and instigate angry avian creatures (you never really understood it). However, when the device hits your palm the screen lights up with a display of Earth. Quickly, the display zooms in on the planet, to a continent, and finally to a map of a city. A quick study shows you that it's none other than the city you now live in. A red dot on the map flashes over and over again, seeming to beckon you there. You aren't very familiar with Freedom City yet, but you recognize the spot marked upon the map. It's Freedom Hall: the former headquarters of the Freedom League.

What fascinates her is how they glitter, like diamonds.

Stars only twinkle inside an atmosphere, Daedalus had explained to her in more technical terms. Something to do with random changes in air density. Having spent so much of her life on board one starship or another, Starbolt so rarely gets to see them do this that she has to enjoy the sight whenever she's planetside. The red-haired girl is clad in thigh-high boots, shoulder-length gloves and a leotard that's more dental floss than actual clothing, but the cold of the night bothers her not one bit. The missing Freedom League, on the other hand...

So when the little bronze robot beeps and appears she sits up at once, heart racing. "Who's there?"

It takes off after handing her the envelops, leaving her to open the package. Starbolt takes out the communications device inside, a chill running down her spine as she realizes it directs her towards Freedom Hall. "Yes!" She hisses, eyes bright. Had the League returned? Or did they have a message for the world, to let the people know they were fine?

She's about to find out. She takes off, shaking the top floor with the thunder of the sonic boom in her wake.

When Starbolt arrives at Freedom Hall she can spy nobody in sight. Still holding the little rectangular device, she steps up to the front door and very politely knocks on it. "Hello?" She calls. That was the standard greeting for visiting a friend's abode, she thinks she remembers. "Is anyone home?"
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 am

The Doctor, a.k.a. Dr. Ulysses Plague
HP 1
CONDITION: Fine

As his patrol began, Dr. Ulysses Plague made sure that he had what he needed. He had his mask, his hat, his coat, his first-aid kit, and his Backpack. After ensuring that he had all his gear for his patrol, Dr. Plague could not help but think, "Has it really been six months since I started doing this? It seemed so long ago that the Freedom League vanished. Despite this, I must begin my patrol."

Moving swiftly across the rooftops, the Doctor ran his usual patrol route when something caught his eye. Seeing what he saw, Dr. Plague saw some street kids rushing into the Freedom City Historical Museum without the museum's alarms going off. Another house call for the Doctor.

Once getting on top of the Museum, Plague looked into the rooftop windows to see where the street thugs were. Sure enough, the kids were moving cautiously toward the special exhibit of the museum. It was at this moment when the Doctor silently opened the window and slowly made his way down to the main floor. After catching up to the thieves, the Doctor began counting their numbers. Six total, all of them possessing pistols.

Seeing his chance, the Doctor began moving silently to the furthest of the six criminals. Silently, the Doctor put the kid, who was unable to alert the others in time, into a sleeper hold until the kid became unconscious. One down, five to go. As each of them moved their planed patrols, the Doctor knocked each criminal out without alerting the others.

All went down without a problem for Dr. Plague. Sure enough, the Doctor knocked out the fifth criminal silently before he heard the crashing of glass in the distance. After running toward the crash, he saw the kid holding some strange gem in his hands. "I'd put that back if I were you." the Doctor said as his hands were behind his back. The kid turned around and saw the masked man before aiming his pistol at the Doctor.
Thanks to his quick reflexes, the Doctor leaped out of the way when the pistol was fired. It was then that the Doctor tackled the kid to the ground, thus knocking the pistol away from the two. The kid was quickly knocked out, and the Doctor knew he had little time to tie them up and leave the building before the police arrived. Thankfully, however, he prepared for such an event and already moved the criminals toward the center of the main entrance, where one could see them easily.

Once that was finished, the nimble vigilante used the structure of the museum and the exhibits locations to exit where he entered. It was barely five minutes afterward that the police had arrived and found the criminals in custody.

dreamking89 wrote:"They were trying to steal what?" the detective asks in front of the Freedom City Natural History Museum.
"Daka Crystals" the cop says, watching as the gang members are led into a squad car, "They come from some country in Africa. They're pretty valuable on the black market. These punks were probably planning on selling them to some nutcase scientist."
"A gang of street kids trying to rob a museum....things just keep getting worse and worse since the League vanished." The detective shakes his head as he lights a cigarette, "Any idea who caught them?"
"No witnesses, but one of the gang members claim it was some kind of bird in a hat?"

You've been watching the cops from atop a building for a while, and the last comment made you grit your teeth slightly. Among the annoying things about being the Doctor, being mistaken for a bird was easily in the top ten. It doesn't matter in the long run though, Freedom City's plague had been beaten back once again.

As you make your way back to the Doctor's Office, you silently wonder who could have wanted the crystals. Dr. Simian was in prison, so you rule him out as you enter your hideout's secret sewer entrance. As you take the elevator up to the Office, you think over countless other science-based villains. Doc Otaku, Toy Boy, any scientist employed by SHADOW, all these options go through your head as you enter your hideout. You're so deep in thought about it, you barely notice the big brown envelope sitting on your computer console.

Opening it very carefully (as a doctor, you know it's important to take precautions), you find a small square device, looking kind of like an iPhone. When it hits your hand the screen lights up, displaying a 3D model of Earth. The display zooms in on North America, then on the US, and then the East Coast. It stops when it shows a map of Freedom City, a blinking red dot on prominent display near the center of the city. Knowing your city is as important as knowing a patient's anatomy, so you know exactly where that red dot is....the device is directing you towards Freedom Hall: one of the former headquarters of the Freedom League.

Sure enough, the Doctor made his way back out into the night, toward Freedom City Hall. He wanted to know: Who knew where he was based, and How did they enter his office without tripping the security? He hoped that these answers, and more, would be explained there.

Upon arrival, he notices what sounded like a crash of thunder... on a clear night? At a closer look, he saw what looked like a woman landing in front of Freedom Hall. Seemed like another super hero just like himself was what Dr. Plague thought. After getting closer, he noticed that she too had the same device that he had. After reaching the ground, he approached Freedom Hall (and thereby the woman) and heard her say,

Ysariel wrote:"Hello?" She calls. That was the standard greeting for visiting a friend's abode, she thinks as she remembers. "Is anyone home?"

"Clearly, we were called here by somebody." Dr. Plague said to the woman. "And, if I am correct, you too must be in the hero business, am I right?"

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:01 am

Zorra
HP 1

"Santa Maria!" Antonia de la Vega's exclamation was the first drop in a torrent of Spanglish profanities that she released to her empty apartment. Such outbursts were common enough in her family that her cousins had a name for them, "pulling a Ricky," but Antonia seldom had vocal outbursts like this. For Antonia Rickies were reserved for moments of extreme anger, frustration, and humiliation.

It had been one of those days. Antonia and the feds were on the verge of locking up the superhacker Freebooter for a very long time when Lucius Cabot pulled his stunt. That silk suited buzzard actually got a judge to throw out a search warrant that the judge himself had issued. Antonia felt disappointed for herself, but was angry about the insult the ruling was to the hard working cops who'd spent weeks figuring out how to track the signal between Freebooter and his robotic alter ego. At least they had found the hacker's safehouse before the robot started killing hostages. Something was wrong with the Freebooter case; something was crooked, slimy, and nasty. That something was Lucius Cabot.

Stewing over Cabot had Antonia in a foul mood when she got back to her apartment and found the brown envelope sitting on the kitchen table. She quickly searched the apartment to make sure the intruder was gone and nothing was missing. Especially the weird gifts she'd gotten from Doc Otaku. The secret door to the lower floor appeared to be secure and the Zorra costume and plasmakatana were still in their place. Once Antonia knew everything was safe, she started her verbal outburst. The outburst ended as she returned to the kitchen, looked at the envelope, and remembered what her grandfather said at times like this, "What are you going to do about it, hija?"

First thing to do was open the envelope. Probably not a trap. If the intruder had wanted Antonia dead, she'd be fighting by now. A small plastic electronic device slid out of the envelope and displayed a movie to show a location. Well, at least it wasn't Otaku coming back for the sword, yet. It was just a hunch, but Antonia was certain that messages from Otaku would be more flamboyant, personal, and dire. A quick cross check with an online map site showed the flashing red dot was Freedom Hall. The attorney had seen a similar device to this one once, but in different circumstances. If the device operated on the same principle, she was supposed to take the gizmo to the red dot, but why Freedom Hall? Only one way to find out.

A few minutes later, Zorra was racing through the streets of Freedom City on her shiny black street racer Sirocco with the plastic device in her pocket. Finding Freedom Hall was pretty easy, the city even had convenient signs pointing the way for tourists. Street parking was another issue, not that Zorra cared about that. The hooded swordswoman rode her bike up the pathway to the main entrance and stopped before the two figures who were already there. Both of them seemed to have devices like hers. An exotic dancer, weird death bird guy, and me... This is going to be an interesting party.

Zorra turned off the motor and got off her bike. She took her device from her pocket. It still showed a flashing red dot on Freedom Hall. Displaying the gizmo to the others, she says, "So, anyone figure out how to make the little girl robot with the huge mallet chase the mad scientist robot?"

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:16 am

Cyborg

"Nobody's been home for quite some time, in case you've missed it." Cyborg stepped out from the shadows - from the same spot she'd awoken a year ago - to address the heroes already present "And I prefer swords to mallets.. She walked out into the open, giving each of them a lengthy gaze as she scanned them from top to bottom, cybernetic eye glowing and whirring slightly as she took them each in, one hand resting casually on the hilt of her sword.

"If I were a paranoid woman, I'd say gathering several of the remaining heroes in the city to one place was a rather stupid trap.. but given our location, and the generally nonthreatening vibe I'm getting from this whole affair, that seems unlikely. Given that and the looks you're all giving me, I'm presuming that none of you sent the packages?" holding up the small device, she raised an eyebrow and looked around.

Firebrand

Postby Karma » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 am

Jenni Rocket Condition: Normal, HP: 1, Luck: 1

Jennifer stared at the device. Who could have left that there in her office? It worried her.
It could have been Duncan Summers, Jonathan Wade... Maybe Nancy Gardener? She knew the identities of most of the Freedom League, Jennifer thought, so maybe it hadn't occurred to Johnny to keep Jenni's identity a secret from her?
But she kind of thought that any of those people would have left a note, or told her something.

She had to leave the school at a normal pace since there's be witnesses. That gave her time for maybe one quick phone call, even if she headed over there as quickly as possible.
One of the suspects, or her husband to let him know something was up? She chose and dialed.
"Mr. Wade? Jennifer. I don't have much time--I have to get changed--but I have three quick questions for you: Did you leave an envelope on my desk, if you didn't do you know who did, and is there anything going on in the city center I should know about?"

Regardless of the answers she got--which she didn't expect to be much--she left the school at a quick but humanly-possible pace.
Once outside, she made for the nearest cover between buildings, then dashed to the roof. She changed instantly, then hid her bag with her civilian clothing and items there.

Jenni Rocket headed straight for Freedom Hall at top speed. Her plan had been to run to a nearby rooftop to scope the area out before heading there--it was very likely a trap--but she saw the others gathering. Resuming a normal walking pace, she headed casually towards them. She still kept an eye out for danger, of course.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:53 am

The Wizard
Active: Summoned Staff, Wizard Robes, Mage Armor, Life Bubble, 3 Eyed Raven.

"Rarely do they gather heroes to destroy them, usually it's more of a divide and conquer sort of deal" Thomas spoke with a smile, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. He wore a large white robe like over coat, hooked to his hip was a large leather belt with several bags hooked to it. In his hand was a long wood and steel staff, which should have weight quite a bit, though the way he held it, it was either deceptively light, or he was deceptively strong. His hair was a deep ocean blue, which was obviously not natural, and he wore large round glasses, making him look like he belonged in a library more than Freedom Hall.

A large black raven saw perched upon his shoulder, though more than likely none of them could even see or hear it. “I assume like the rest of you, this device was left somewhere private? If they wanted to destroy us, leaving a bomb in our private residence would have been far more effective. I imagine this is more of a friendly invitation. As to when our host will appear, I can only speculate.”

“In the meantime, I am the Wizard. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.”

Holy crap, I did it. I didn't mess up or trip or anything. There are way too many attractive women here. What do they do, just hand out super powers to super models and actresses now? I'm just a computer geek, what the hell am I suppose to talk with any of them about!?
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 am

Zorra
HP 1

Zorra watched as the others approached, but her attention kept returning to the sword bearing cyborg. Finally, Zorra turned to her and said, "Pardon me, but I'd guess you're the Cyborg they're talking about on the heroworship.net boards. The one the guys are calling 'Freedom City's sexy new sword babe.'" She shrugs, appraises the cyborg from head-to-toe, then adds, "I'm Zorra, the one they call the funny new sword babe. Until tonight I thought they were complementing my rapier-like wit, but it looks like it's definitely about my lack of... assets." It's hard to tell through the mask, but it sounds like Zorra's smiling.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am

The Wizard

Externally the Wizard smiled as the swordswoman spoke to the cyborg. Internally he was screaming "SHE SNUBBED ME! SHE COMPPLETELY SNUBBED ME!"
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 am

The Doctor
HP 1

"I guess that since we are introducing ourselves, I might as well join in. I am the Doctor (and I do not mean that Time Lord character either), a.k.a. the "Bird Man of Freedom City" that has been mentioned on television lately. If you have any ailments, come speak with me and I'll see what I can do to help." The Doctor said as he clasped his hands behind his back. "And you are correct, Mr. Wizard, that this would most likely be a friendly meeting. As to who called for us, I have no idea. Anybody have any ideas as to who delivered these devices?"

"Interesting, so many women among us heroes. One would imagine that there would be more of a balance between male and female, but this does occasionally happen as well. Let's just roll with this for now."

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Firebrand

Postby Karma » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Jenni Rocket Condition: Normal, HP: 1, Luck: 1

Jenni recognized Cyborg, and her face turned slightly pink. She hoped the others wouldn't notice in this light. "Oh, hello," she said, as casually as she could but slightly higher-pitched than she had intended.

She nodded at the others introducing themselves. "I'm Jenni Rocket. I don't think that name's been published much, but you might've heard that Johnny Rocket was training a sidekick before... before the League disappeared. There was even one article about a year ago that theorized that I was his girlfriend, which was obviously stupid, but well... that was me."

Looking over her device, she said "As for who sent these... I dunno.* I met Nancy Gardener** a few times, but I don't think she knows my civilian identity and I found this at work. I guess it could be her--does anybody else know her?"

OoC wrote:*Unless Jonathan Wade confessed when she called him, in which case disregard this part.

**For those of you who aren't as familiar with the setting, the Freedom League's leader, Captain Thunder, has a public identity after being unmasked by a villain. His family moved to Freedom Hall after that for their safety. His wife, Nancy, became an administrator for the League.
Jenni's not spelling all of that out because this is an extremely famous hero with a public identity, so she assumes everyone knows who she means (and they probably do).

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Starbolt
Condition: Normal / HP: 1

The doors of Freedom Hall remain impervious to her queries, and Starbolt feels her heart sink. For a moment there, she had really hoped the League had returned and the robot was Daedalus sending her a message... if he even knew she was on Earth, assuming he remembered her after so many years.

That it might be a trap never really occurred to her. Actually, even if it was a trap, she still felt duty-bound to investigate any sign of the League's return.

She turns to face the doctor, tilting her head quizzically. "I'm sorry, but I don't own a business," Starbolt says, the colloquialism flying right over her head. "And she," she indicates the cyborg, "is only half robot."

She shrugs and smiles brilliantly at all assembled. "Well met! I am Starbolt," she says, "princess of the Hiiri-Kaani clan, one of Daedalus' old friends. I came to visit him a month ago, and I found this."

She looks over one shoulder at deserted Freedom Hall behind her, before turning back to the gathered heroes. "If you're Johnny Rocket's sidekick, and you're a hero, Wizard in Blue, then that makes all of us gathered here heroes." She clasps her hands together. "We must've been gathered to form a rescue team to save the League."
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:27 pm

Wizard

"A pleasure to meet you." he said with a smile offering a hand to the Doctor than Jenni finally Ysariel.

The three eyed raven whistled, an impressive feat considering he didn't have lips. "Check her out, I wonder how fast she is?" he laughed, perched upon the Wizards shoulder. The wizard forced himself to keep a straight face as the Raven continued, "I wonder if the suit is frictionless... could be quite useful for other applications, Eh? Eh? Get it?" The Raven pecked at Thomas' head, which hurt. "Don't ignore me."

"Oh shut up." Suddenly a ball of fire appeared upon the Wizard's other shoulder, equally invisible to non-magical beings. "So louuuud." Yawned a woman as the ball of fire formed ah her body. She was about the size of a cabbage patch doll, though with far more realistic proportions, if not femininely exaggerated. In place of human ears, she had pointed fox ears poking out of her long auburn hair, and a set of twin fox tails protruding out a hole in her Japanese Kimono. She sat cross legged on Thomas' shoulder. "Stupid crow."

"I'm a Raven, you crappy fox. A proud, beautiful Raven, not a crappy garbage eating lowly crow." The Raven screeched loudly, "Go pass out drunk somewhere, it's what you do best!"

Thomas spoke louder than he should have, which might have startled those deaf to the animal's chattering, "I'm afraid I have not met, Mrs. Gardener yet, but I cannot imagine how she would have discovered my residence so easily.”
My Characters

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Zorra
HP 1

Zorra turns to face Wizard after his outburst. "I can think of one man who knows both of my identities and would have the ability to prepare a device like this," she says while pointing to the plastic gizmo. "But I don't think he'd be interested in all of us and this doesn't seem like his style."

And an edit to get ride of a great big OOPS! Re-read Hound's entry and noticed that Zorra couldn't see the summons.
Last edited by robertness on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Ysariel wrote:
She looks over one shoulder at deserted Freedom Hall behind her, before turning back to the gathered heroes. "If you're Johnny Rocket's sidekick, and you're a hero, Wizard in Blue, then that makes all of us gathered here heroes." She clasps her hands together. "We must've been gathered to form a rescue team to save the League."

"The Star Knights are doing everything they can to find any trace of the Freedom League, Miss Starbolt." A voice said from behind the heroes.

Walking up the path towards Freedom Hall and the heroes is an elderly African American man in a dark suit and a fedora. Despite obviously being in his eighties at least, he walks with the stride of a man at least 20 years his junior, even with the cane he leans on for support. "The people on this planet, however, are in dire need of rescuing."

He gives a smile, removing his hat in greeting to reveal a head of snow white hair, "For those who are new to Freedom City, let me introduce myself. Langston Albright at your service." With that, he takes out a device resembling a key fob and presses a button. The door to Freedom Hall suddenly swings open, allowing the heroes access to the famous headquarters "Come inside, all of you. We have much to discuss."
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Return to “M&M Game Room”