Freedom League: Rebirth (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Freedom League: Rebirth (OOC)

Postby dreamking89 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:06 am

If you used your 30 ft radius radius power, you could get four of them. The others are further up the stairs toward City Hall (closer to Fear Master).
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:15 am

dreamking89 wrote:Therefore I think it's only fair that I give my players 24 hours to respond to combat (or in this case, roll initiative).

I don't mind. :)

I roll initiative for my players since it saves one round of everyone waiting for the rolls to come in, but some people prefer to roll initiative on their own.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:19 am

Ysariel wrote:
dreamking89 wrote:Therefore I think it's only fair that I give my players 24 hours to respond to combat (or in this case, roll initiative).

I don't mind. :)

I roll initiative for my players since it saves one round of everyone waiting for the rolls to come in, but some people prefer to roll initiative on their own.

Well, I didn't want to do that since Seize initiative could change the result.

But hang on....Yeah, no one has Seize Initiative, so I'll probably do that and roll jemal's initiative now and everyone else's from now on.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Firebrand

Postby Karma » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 am

Someone might also want to spend a Hero Point to re-roll it, although I don't think that's a very common thing to do.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:03 pm

It was a good roll, but in the future, I'd appreciate rolling for myself. I am fairly regular daily poster.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Hound wrote:It was a good roll, but in the future, I'd appreciate rolling for myself. I am fairly regular daily poster.

That's fair. I just wanna keep things going at a steady pace, but you are right about being a regular poster.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:54 pm

I'm ok with people rolling for me for time sensitive or reactive things like saves/init to save time.
I can usually post daily, but between the baby and the 10 hour shifts sometimes I just don't get the chance.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:55 am

Kinda wish I had Intimidate, I'd so use extra effort for that right now, lol..

Firebrand

Postby Karma » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Did you edit that post? :| I'm sure it was different before I started writing mine.

Ah well, I s'pose it still makes sense.

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Everyone feel free to add on to what Zorra is saying. This is your first public appearance as the new Freedom League, go and shine! :D

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:03 pm

So I looked at the other characters and noticed that none of the other females have the Attractive advantage.. and cyborg has 2..
I was at least expecting Starbolt to be drop dead gorgeous considering that picture!

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:20 am

Yeah, I thought I had seen Attractive on Starbolt's character sheet, but I must have been distracted.

I try to avoid taking Attractive on characters unless I have a strong reason for it in their story. It's pretty awkward when you have the 5:1 gender mix mentioned up thread and all of the five have Attractive. Or the one.

I think Attractive in M&M goes beyond having a good body and a pretty face. There is also a big element of knowing, even on a subconscious level, how to use your appearance to best effect in social situations.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 am

Despite the wording in the book, Attractive doesn't mean you're gorgeous. It means you know how to exploit your good looks, hence why it only works on people who already consider you attractive in the first place.

Beauty is subjective anyway.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 am

Actually, considering that the 'wording in the book' is an actual rule and the primary reason to take the advantage, yes.. yes it DOES mean you're gorgeous. That's the whole point. Everyone I've ever discussed it with has admitted to taking it solely as a means of indicating their characters attractiveness.

Plus there's the fact that the rules say nothing about using your looks to your advantage, though that is one way of looking at it. The mechanical bonus literally says 'you're particularly attractive', and that the bonus applies to 'anyone who finds your looks appealing', nowhere saying anything about it giving you exploitative skills, it's literally just BEING hot.
Also keep in mind that if flat out says that while most heroes tend to be good looking, this advantage is specifically intended to indicate characters with particularly impressive looks.

You can still SAY your character is good looking, it's just that this advantage is the mechanical 'in game' way of declaring "My character is hotter than others who didn't take this." Kind of like saying your character's true past is mysterious, but not taking the 'cipher' benefit, or saying you're rich and well connected but not taking wealth or contacts/connected benefits, or that you're famous without THOSE associated benefits, or that your character is a quick thinker without spending points on mental quickness, etc..

You can play up any of that stuff as roleplaying/background, but people who spent points on it get to say they're richer/more mysterious/hotter, and have invested in the right to do so. People tend to grossly overlook these kind of benefits, not taking them and then acting as though it doesn't matter while the people who HAVE spent points on them feel a case of 'what was the point?"

It's somewhat like saying "I wrote an entire chapter on how my character spent two years honing her hearing, so do I really NEED to roll perception to hear the Thugs sneaking up on us?" Yes, b/c you didn't spend points on Skill Mastery (NOTE: This is an actual conversation I've had to have!)

Sorry, I didn't actually mean for this to turn into a thing, I originally just found it amusing that the robo-chick was the only one who had it, as it's generally a rather ubiquitous advantage.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:48 am

Nothing about the advantage says it makes more people consider you appealing. You simply get a bonus against people who find you appealing in the first place.

You're particularly attractive to people whose ideal of beauty you fit. But beauty is subjective, and there is always going to be someone who finds you disgusting. That's why it's a circumstance bonus that doesn't always work.

Return to “M&M Game Room”