Freedom League: Rebirth (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Freedom League: Rebirth (OOC)

Postby dreamking89 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:10 pm

A PbP game is an ugly thing, but I think it's just about time I ran one!!!

So I'm gonna try giving a PbP game a shot. I've never really done this before, so any patience is greatly appreciated.

Obviously, it's going to be a Freedomverse game. The premise is going to be that the Freedom League, in defending Earth from some threat in deep space, has vanished. No one knows if they are dead, captured or merely lost, but it has been a few months since their disappearance. Criminals are beginning to grow more bold, thinking that they no longer have to face retribution from the world's greatest superhero team. The players will be heroes who will form the new Freedom League, taking up the torch in an attempt to live up to the original members.

3rd Edition

PL 10, 150 PP

Tone: Greyscale

Anyone down for giving this a shot?

House Rules:

- Unless you can make a good case for a limited form of it, no Variable Power.

Submissions:

Mr. Sandman- Doc Clockwork: Battlesuit-wearer from an alternate universe.

Tattooedman- Longfellow- Rubber man graduate of the Claremont Academy

Badpenny- Shutterbug- Wall crawling bug-themed superhero

kenmadragon- The Astounding Spyderman- Friendly Neighborhood web slinger

biophilia- Beatdown- Cyborg Brawler

Plan B- Ego- Psychic with an awesome beard.

EnigmaticOne- Shadow Man- College Student with shadow-control powers.

Neo-Paladin- Midnight Glory- Paragon after dark.

Nillaman- Solemn- Freedom City Everyman gifted with super powers.

Marshall- Wisp- Energy Controlling Ninja

The Kryptonian- Steel Dragon- Martial Artist

Heritage- Grisselda of Avalon- Fairy turned Superhero

Final Roster

Hound- Blue Wizard
XeroKhan- The Doctor
robertness- Zorra
jemal- Cyborg
Badpenny- Shutterbug
Last edited by dreamking89 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 26 times in total.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Freedom League: Rebirth (3E, Interest?)

Postby Hound » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:12 pm

neat idea, sounds fun!
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Same. This is always fun.
Impeach the peach!

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:39 pm

What sort of posting schedule are you thinking? I.e. how often?

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Oooh! Interested. I can finally use one of my recently made heroes for this.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:58 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:What sort of posting schedule are you thinking? I.e. how often?

i hope a lot. I generally post daily.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I think this will be the first time I got a plain, simple Paragon. Never tried one of those before.
My Characters

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:09 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:What sort of posting schedule are you thinking? I.e. how often?

Hound wrote:

i hope a lot. I generally post daily.

Ideally, I'd like to post at least once a day. However, I'm less worried about my players and more worried about myself. Like I said, I've never run a PbP game, and I'm less than proud of my post punctuality in games I don't run.

So aim for one post a day at least, and I'll do my best to pick up.

This has gotten enough interest (in my opinion) to open it for recruiting. If you have ideas for characters as of right now, you are free to post them.

Quick tip: Don't skimp on the background. I'm a sucker for that stuff.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Freedom League: Rebirth (3E, Recruiting)

Postby bi0philia » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:35 pm

Interested!

I'll see what I can do.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:37 pm

any special house rules?
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Which idea do you want?

Simple Paragon

"Time manipulating" martial artist (basically just a speedster with time as a descriptor)

Undead Fire Ninja

Mage

Robot

Gadgeteer

Trust me, I have epic ideas for backgrounds on all of them, which if you want I can summarize
My Characters

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Hound wrote:any special house rules?

None yet. If I think of any, I'll update the first post.

Hound wrote:Which idea do you want?

Simple Paragon

"Time manipulating" martial artist (basically just a speedster with time as a descriptor)

Undead Fire Ninja

Mage

Robot

Gadgeteer

Trust me, I have epic ideas for backgrounds on all of them, which if you want I can summarize

All of those sound awesome. If you really want me to pick one, summaries would help. :)

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:01 pm

these are the house rules i run, feel free to use any you like.

1. Dexterity also provides a bonus to Initiative which can be stacked with Agility or Speed Of Thought, but not both.

2. Each rank of Presence taken, also offers either 1 point for Willpower, or 1 Social Advantage like Leadership, Contacts, Connections, Teamwork, etc... (make sure to clearly mark this stuff)

3. Skills provide 3 ranks, for 1 Point except for Combat Skills, which remain 2 for 1.

4. Each Rank of Wealth Provides 1 Free Rank of Equipment Limited to Secret Base(Like for a "Bat cave")

5. Maximum 5 Regeneration, Regeneration costs 2 per rank instead of 1. Players who are toughness shifted 3 or greater are limited to 2 Ranks of Regeneration.

6. Power attack/All out attack combo can only be used once per combat. To use it more than once, you will need to treat it as using extra effort, which means either spending a hero point or becoming fatigued, which is cumulative. Meaning if you are already fatigued, you become exhausted, and if you are already exhausted you become incapacitated.

7. While I allow some custom advantages/feats/features, I do not allow the "Follow Up" where you get a second attack after a critical hit. Additionally, normal attacks are capped at "Improved Critical 2" and if you want a higher critical hit, there needs to be a trade off.

8. 1 Point of Languages gets you 2(instead of 1), 2 Points get you 4, 3 gets you 8, beyond this you might as well just take the power Comprehend.

9. I dislike Impervious and Penetrating, and can never find a set of rules that makes me happy, so let's just not use either.

10. Variable must have a good limit to counter how strong it is, typically I dislike it, but I know times when it can be useful.
My Characters

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Dr. Ulysses Plague
"The Doctor"

BIO

Ever since the Bubonic Plague ravaged Europe, the Plague family has become well-known medical doctors to ensure that those who were ill were taken care of. The Plague's have been from Greece, to Italy, to the Caribbean, to the Revolutionary United States, and beyond. Despite the ironic last name, the family has been known for their truthful, yet caring form of medical attention.

This all lead up to the most recent son of the family: Ulysses Plague. After attending Medical College, Ulysses moved off to Liberty City to begin his practice. Because of his strategic move, Ulysses was able to grow up in as a doctor quickly due to the many crimes that occurred in the city that injured civilians and criminals alike. With the amount of money that Ulysses gained, he was not only able to set up a fully paid-off home, but also able to improve it dramatically, making his home able to become his own clinic. After that, Ulysses became well known by donating a large portion of his money to the McNider Memorial Hospital for improvements in treatments.

However, things changed when Dr. Plague received word that the Freedom League, the guardians of Liberty City and the World, had suddenly vanished without a known trace. With that, Ulysses began to think, "How can I heal this city the best way that I can?" It was then that Dr. Plague's inspiration struck, and he wanted to help heal Liberty City; thus, after countless months of physical training and purchasing advanced equipment, Dr. Ulysses Plague became the masked vigilante, "The Doctor".

COMPLICATIONS:

1) The Hippocratic Oath of Doctors: Dr. Plague has taken this oath, like his father, and his grandfather, and his father before him, and so on all the way back to Hippocrates. (Honor, in a sense)

2) "The City is my Patient": Dr. Plague views Freedom City as a patient, and the criminals therein as "diseases". Dr. Plague also views himself as a cure for this "disease". (Motivation: Responsibility)

3) Maintaining a Clinic: Dr. Plague is a rising clinical doctor, but taking care of his recent clinic/home/HQ takes money, which he gets from common patients. For some reason, he has barely paid the bills for his place for some months. (Responsibility)
============================================
STR 3
STA 4
AGL 5
DEX 5
FGT 8
INT 4
AWE 2
PRE 3
{68pp}
ADVANTAGES {31pp}

Close Attack 2
Daze (Intimidation)
Defensive Attack
Defensive Roll 4
Improved Initiative
Hide in Plain Sight
Instant Up
Jack-of-all-Trades
Power Attack
Ranged Attack 5
Skill Mastery 4 (Intimidation)
(Investigation)
(Stealth)
(Treatment)
Startle
Throwing Mastery 2
Tracking
Uncanny Dodge
Well-Informed

~~~Equipment 4~~~

>First Aid Kit
>Smartphone
>Backpack
>Plague Doctor's Mask

(Doctor's Outfit)
Feature 2
>Hidden Pockets
>Insulating Coat

Protection 2

(Doctor's Office)
>LOCATION: A Renovated Warehouse in the Riverside District; It has a grand view of Sentry Statue
>SIZE: Medium
>TOUGH +8
>Communications
>Computer
>Concealed
>Gym
>Infirmary
>Library
>Living Space
>Power System
>Security System
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SKILLS 30

Close (Unarmed) 6+8(+2)
Deception 6+3
Expertise (Medicine) 8+4
Insight 6+2
Intimidation 6+3
Investigation 8+4
Perception 6+2
Sleight of Hand 6+5
Stealth 6+5
Treatment 8+4
POWERS {4pp}

(Parkour)
Movement 4
>Sure Footed 3
>Swinging
-Limited: Only when Moving
OFFENSE

Initiative +9

Unarmed +16 (DC 18)
Throwing +10 (DC 20)
DEFENSE {20pp}

Fort 4+4
Will 8+2

Dodge 3+5
Parry 2+8
Tough +4 (+2 Doctor's Outfit) [+4 D. Roll]

PP USAGE CHART

1) [After Prologue] gained 1pp, used to obtain the Uncanny Dodge Advantage.
Last edited by XeroKhan on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:14 pm

Anyone got a link for freedomverse info?
My Characters

Return to “M&M Game Room”