Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal & Bone (OOC, Closed) [3e]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
angille
Bystander
Bystander

Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal & Bone (OOC, Closed) [3e]

Postby angille » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal and Bone

This will be the OOC thread linked to the IC thread here. Try to keep any out-of-game chatter here - this is also where we will be discussing point costs, mechanics, and playtest notes.

This game will be a PbP playtest of my own Mutants and Masterminds port of Sand and Steam's Iron Edda Fate-based War of Metal and Bone by Tracy Barnett. (details here) Despite not being reached as a stretch goal in the Iron Edda Kickstarter, Tracy has expressed interest in pushing for some of the stretch goals in the future anyway - so I'm continuing development and playtesting.

Recruitment for the game is tentatively closed. I have four players (who at the time of this posting may or may not already have ATT logins) who I know and trust to help me focus on playtesting. If you have an excellent case for being a player, I'll review it. Something must be understood by both current and prospective players: though I am going to start with the 3e RAW from the Deluxe Player's Guide (which I assume has errata published between the original and deluxe), emergent trends from playing the game might cause me to introduce house rules suddenly and often.

(some of this will be review, since we've gone over this in emails - I just want it in the forums for completeness) Our first order of business, before the players even generate characters, is something called Prologue Generation. This is a direct (Mutants and Masterminds flavored) descendant of Tracy's Holdfast Creation, which is itself credited to Travis Scott. Each player rolls 2d20 (feel free to use an online roller or real dice - I trust you) and finds the corresponding entry on this table. Post your result here, consult with the other players, then post a short fiction in the IC post describing the impact of your roll on the game world.

The Holdfast itself, as a shared character resource, will be a Headquarters, built with 10EP. To expand the Holdfast beyond this, characters can spend personal PPs. The name, location, and nature of the Holdfast (mobile/stationary, populated/just the group, high-tech/low-tech) may be defined during Prologue Generation, or after.

Player Characters will be PL8, 120PP builds. Every PC either has a rune marking them as one of the Nine Clans, or they have become Bonebonded. Bonebonded is a 10PP power that acts like the Metamorph power - the big departure from base rules here is that the alternate form is a PL12 build. In other words, a Bonebonded player will create two 110PP builds at different PLs.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Last edited by angille on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Running Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal and Bone
IC Post | OOC Post

angille
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal and Bone (OOC & Rollcall) [3e

Postby angille » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:10 am

Hey, lurkers! So if you're wondering where the posts are, it's because my players are still using email instead of the forum to communicate and plan. They'll be here soon enough.

But guess what!One of my players has backed down, so I've got a vacancy. You fine forum folks know what to do. I will take two new players - PM me first.
IC Post | OOC Post

Captain Indigo
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal & Bone (OOC & Recruiting) [3e

Postby Captain Indigo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Sorry for lagging. Things have been crazy lately. I'm planning on playing a Bonebonded but haven't had a chance to actually sit down and dig through M&M's chargen, which I haven't looked at in a few years. This WILL be fine tomorrow though, even if I have to lock myself in a closet with a laptop.

kphinderer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kphinderer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Here's my character:

Rajesh “Raj” Patal
Hammer Clan

Total 56 + 29 +15+20= 120
Stat - 56
STR 0
STA 0
AGL 3
DEX 5
FGH 2
INT 8
AWA 6
PRE 4

Skills – 29
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise – Science 10 (+18)
Expertise – Psychology 5 (+13)
Insight 5 (+11)
Investigation 4 (+12)
Persuasion 5 (+11)
Sleight of Hand 3 (+8)
Technology 10 (+18)
Treatment 7 (+15)
Vehicles 4 (+9)

Advantages - 15
Beginner’s Luck
Eidetic Memory
Equipment – Holdfast improvements
Improvised Tools
Inventor
Jack-of-all-trades
Luck
Minion (small robots) x 3
Ranged Attack 4
Well-informed

Powers - 20
Dwarven hand cannon (tech, total points 12) – array, easily removable (-8)
• Wyvern’s Sting – Ranged damage 8 (16 pts) (slug)
• Dragon’s Breath – Area (cone) Ranged Fire damage 5 (+1) (flame throwing)
• Basilisk’s Stare – Dazzle 8 (+1) (like a flash-bang)
• Wyvern’s Spit – Snare 5 (+1) (a sticky glue like substance)
• Manicorn’s Spines – Ranged affliction 8 (+1) (paralytic poison darts – hindered->immobile->paralyzed)
Dwarven armor (8) – removable (-2)
• Protection 8
• Senses – Infravision & Low-Light Vision (lenses in helmet) + 2

Defense - 0
Dodge 3
Fortitude 0
Parry 2
Toughness 8* (in armor)
Will 8

Combat
Initiative 3
Hand canon +8 Effects various 5/8
Unarmed +2 Damage 0

Backstory:
Raj was is an engineer in Delhi. When the dwarves took over the city, Raj helped them integrate human and Dwarven tech as he was fascinated with it. Life was good for him until he found out the dwarves were making humans into cyborgs and using them as the foot soldiers for the next invasion.

Knowing dwarven tech (worked with them for a while), Raj stole a small destroyer and led a slave escape. Of course of the around 500 people he lead, only about 20 people survived. The destroyer was nearly destroyed; my character's been working on repairing the destroyer ever since. The survivors of the escape know who he was (a Dwarven collaborator) and blame him for the massacre.

Raj has be laying low for a while now. He claims that he figured out Dwarven technology from the broken destroyer he “found”. He doesn't talk about his past.

My idea for the roll I got was I'm giving the alliance my knowledge of the dwarven city for the invasion (of course this is from my time as a "slave"). While the pubic horribly wrong is my information is a few years out of date, the real problem is one of the survivors IDing me.

Holdfast – a Viking Cruise ship converted into a “longship” in the Indian Ocean:
Large (2 ep)
Concealed
Defense system
Dock
Infirmary
Living Space
Personnel
Power System
Security System
(my extras for it)
Laboratory
Library
Workshop
Toughness x 2 (total toughness 10)

angille
Bystander
Bystander

Postby angille » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Things are crazy? You don't say! Trying to schedule for a F2F game is why we're all here, right?

I've put some pregens on Drive, including my conception of a Bonebonded. kanly also has a build, which I'm sure will be shared once some of the Prologue rolls have hit this thread.
IC Post | OOC Post

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Hey all,
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Prologue Generation rolls were 12 and 3, so it looks like plague is coming to town. What do the rest of you know about life in our holdfast?

Captain Indigo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Captain Indigo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:17 pm

I got a 17 and a 13 for my prologue rolls, so it looks like dwarves and humans are managing to peacefully co-exist on some sort of tech-magic Second Life. I.... don't know exactly what to do with that, but it sounds interesting.

Character to follow soon.

Nai_Calus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nai_Calus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Mine were an 18 and a 7, which means that 'Dwarven technology has taken over Earth’s satellite belt. What does this mean for Yggdrasil? How are they using it in the War? What stake does your Holdfast have in this?'

Maybe that has something to do with the Second Life thing? They've taken over ours, but we've got someone who knows a bit about Dwarf tech, so maybe with his insight we're getting back in to things anyway and some people from our holdfast and some on the other side are sick of the war thing and wanting to do some escapism. Might be dangerous though if people are caught. On the other hand, might end up causing a little bit of harmony, or help from someone's buddy who doesn't want to see them get killed. But for which side? Hmm.

Must ponder.

angille
Bystander
Bystander

Postby angille » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Kurt and Ian are in first post moderation limbo, so I'll throw their rolls down here too, and aggregate the Prologue Generation so far.

Captain Indigo: 17/13
Humans and Dwarves have been living second, peaceful, lives on virtual pockets in Yggdrasil and Jormungandr. How does the leadership of each faction deal with this? What about the general populace?

kanly: 12/3
Rumors of plague are spreading across the holdfast. Everyone who so much as coughs is looked at sideways. How is the Jarl handling the situation? Why?

kphinderer: 19/18
Your Holdfast has banded together with several others, and with multiple Bonebonded warriors, are planning an attack on one of the Nine Cities. What’s going to make this successful? How could it go horribly wrong?

Nai_Calus: 18/7
Dwarven technology has taken over Earth’s satellite belt. What does this mean for Yggdrasil? How are they using it in the War? What stake does your Holdfast have in this?

And... go!
Oh, btw, I'm leaving the "Recruiting" in the title - I'll take a fifth player (along with the Prologue roll) right up until we start playing.
IC Post | OOC Post

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Well, my thought is that there are two sets of things going on here. First, the warriors brought the plague or at least rumors of it. Something that the jotunn that were used for bone bonding carried but were immune to? Second, the peaceful interactions have been going on, on the new tech out in the satellite belt. Attempting to establish a third independent system? Thoughts, ideas, alternates, like/don't like.
Might also be good to discuss the nine cities, and which one we are going after. The counterpoint, what our holdfast is like, is also important.

kphinderer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kphinderer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Here's my character:

Rajesh “Raj” Patal
Hammer Clan

Total 56 + 29 +15+20= 120
Stat - 56
STR 0
STA 0
AGL 3
DEX 5
FGH 2
INT 8
AWA 6
PRE 4

Skills – 29
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise – Science 10 (+18)
Expertise – Psychology 5 (+13)
Insight 5 (+11)
Investigation 4 (+12)
Persuasion 5 (+11)
Sleight of Hand 3 (+8)
Technology 10 (+18)
Treatment 7 (+15)
Vehicles 4 (+9)

Advantages - 15
Beginner’s Luck
Eidetic Memory
Equipment – Holdfast improvements
Improvised Tools
Inventor
Jack-of-all-trades
Luck
Minion (small robots) x 3
Ranged Attack 4
Well-informed

Powers - 20
Dwarven hand cannon (tech, total points 12) – array, easily removable (-8)
• Wyvern’s Sting – Ranged damage 8 (16 pts) (slug)
• Dragon’s Breath – Area (cone) Ranged Fire damage 5 (+1) (flame throwing)
• Basilisk’s Stare – Dazzle 8 (+1) (like a flash-bang)
• Wyvern’s Spit – Snare 5 (+1) (a sticky glue like substance)
• Manicorn’s Spines – Ranged affliction 8 (+1) (paralytic poison darts – hindered->immobile->paralyzed)
Dwarven armor (8) – removable (-2)
• Protection 8
• Senses – Infravision & Low-Light Vision (lenses in helmet) + 2

Defense - 0
Dodge 3
Fortitude 0
Parry 2
Toughness 8* (in armor)
Will 8

Combat
Initiative 3
Hand canon +8 Effects various 5/8
Unarmed +2 Damage 0

Backstory:
Raj was is an engineer in Delhi. When the dwarves took over the city, Raj helped them integrate human and Dwarven tech as he was fascinated with it. Life was good for him until he found out the dwarves were making humans into cyborgs and using them as the foot soldiers for the next invasion.

Knowing dwarven tech (worked with them for a while), Raj stole a small destroyer and led a slave escape. Of course of the around 500 people he lead, only about 20 people survived. The destroyer was nearly destroyed; my character's been working on repairing the destroyer ever since. The survivors of the escape know who he was (a Dwarven collaborator) and blame him for the massacre.

Raj has be laying low for a while now. He claims that he figured out Dwarven technology from the broken destroyer he “found”. He doesn't talk about his past.

My idea for the roll I got was I'm giving the alliance my knowledge of the dwarven city for the invasion (of course this is from my time as a "slave"). While the pubic horribly wrong is my information is a few years out of date, the real problem is one of the survivors IDing me.

Holdfast – a Viking Cruise ship converted into a “longship” in the Indian Ocean:
Large (2 ep)
Concealed
Defense system
Dock
Infirmary
Living Space
Personnel
Power System
Security System
(my extras for it)
Laboratory
Library
Workshop
Toughness x 2 (total toughness 10)

kphinderer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kphinderer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 am

Seeing if maybe my entire character was just too long to post (it hasn't posted yet and I don't know why).

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:42 pm

I see Raj just fine

angille
Bystander
Bystander

Postby angille » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm

That... was... weird. :roll: Had some back-dated posts there! Well, looks like everyone's here now. I'm gonna stand back a bit and let you folks craft the situation.

Once you've got the general stuff down, go ahead and start posting Prologue replies against the IC thread. It doesn't have to be necessarily "in character" for your PC. The vision I have for it is to get a feel similar to prologues in comic books? Kinda like the first chapter in each of the Song of Ice and Fire books - sets something up for the main characters, but doesn't have to involve them directly.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself perfectly. Lemme know if you have questions. Otherwise, brainstorm!
IC Post | OOC Post

kphinderer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kphinderer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:52 pm

I got posted :) What do all you all think of the back story? Do you like the holdfast?

Return to “M&M Game Room”