Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal & Bone (OOC, Closed) [3e]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Captain Indigo
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal & Bone (OOC & Recruiting) [3e

Postby Captain Indigo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:58 pm

My only issue with the Holdfast is that I don't think it's big enough for 2 BoneBonded's Jotuun's.

Working on finalizing my character/s now. I'd forgotten more than I expected, so it's been slow going.

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:09 pm

The Holdfast concept is cool, but we are going to need a lot more points. Base levels for what you have listed is 15 pts and it is going to need to be MUCH bigger to hold a village worth of people plus multiple giant bodies. (I'm guessing at least Awsome which adds another 4 pts.) We also stand a good chance of being sunk if the dwarf aren't totally hydrophobic.

Now for some entirely unsolicited advice.

So, just wondering, when did Raj find the time to become a medical doctor/psychologist (5+ ranks in both skills) as well as an engineer? You don't mention anything in your history about it, so I would suggest you just use beginners luck for your occasional psychology and treatment skill checks and invest those 6 points somewhere else like boosting your armor or getting a defense rating (you are currently only PL4 defensively). You currently have nice armor and a big gun implying you want to get into combat, but move like a turtle and something big is going to squish you flat. Otherwise, you could just go with cool gadgets (I'm sure the dwarfs have plenty), dump the armor and gun and leave the fighting to professional Jarheads. Right now, you are somewhere in the middle, which is just going to get you hurt.

Also, you over spent your cap for ranged combat by a point so you should either drop dex one or a rank of ranged attack. However, since your only ranged weapon is you uber cool dwarf gun I would just take skill ranks in ranged combat with it rather than ranged attack and save a few points or drop one or two alt powers and give some razzle dazzle to the ones you keep.

angille
Bystander
Bystander

Postby angille » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:03 pm

A Large ship (mansion, cave complex) is probably a good-sized yacht. You're right, without a fishing net, Bonebonded will have trouble being transported. Stepping up to Gargantuan (skyscraper) would be a "small" cruise ship, with a capacity for ~2,000 people and three or four Bonebonded. Colossal (city block, private estate) would make it Allure of the Seas sized, capable of carrying over 6,000 people and at least half a dozen Bonebonded. Awesome... might be hitting overkill.

Much to my annoyance, none of the sample Headquarters actually move, so there aren't any examples of movement effects added. That said, you might want to toss in Swimming 6 (would be a 1ep feature) or so, otherwise the ship may well be immobile.

Also, in a conversation with Tracy on Twitter, it seems that the Bonebonded in the Sveidsdottir novel have a tendency to rise out of the ground at the appropriate times and places. So it wouldn't be completely weird in this setting for the bones to be summonable - perhaps a Hammer set up a quantum dimensional pocket for the Bonebonded to activate, or a Raven used magic to miniaturize the bones until the keyword is spoken. I would still require that the Activation flaw and some variant of the Limited flaw remain in the build.
Running Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal and Bone
IC Post | OOC Post

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:00 am

I was just going by what the hero lab folks have put together. Their cruse ship is an Awesome sized monstrosity with speed 5 instead of swimming. Heck, their bus is gargantuan. I am all for using lower levels if you are OK with it and swimming makes much more sense than speed in this app just no diving please (Unless of course we decide to make it the Nautilus).

For the bone bonded, if the skeletons are available at need to the human, then maybe just a complication about loosing the summoning device, or simply make it a device based metamorph (be it a rune carved bone amulet or techno portal key). Either could still have the activation flaw and then we wouldn't need special equipment to tote around 200 ton bone piles.

Captain Indigo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Captain Indigo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:50 am

Considering a person who is bonebonded has (as far as I understand it) had their soul merged in some way with the jotuun, I don't think a removable item would make much sense.

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:30 am

The item wouldn't be the source, just the conduit. M&M allows for items to be useable by only one individual, indestructible , easy or hard to take away and any other limitation one would want. For example, in old school Marvel comics Thor's hammer/Doctor Blake's walking stick would be a single device that allows for Blake and ONLY Blake to transform into Thor. Thor is always there, hidden inside Blake's soul, but without the stick, he can never be brought forth. Blake being separated from his stick was actually the main issue in several stories.

However, we might just want to make it a complication. Which means, whenever the GM decides that we can't access them, for whatever reason, we get a hero point for the inconvenience and the adventure goes on.

Captain Indigo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Captain Indigo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Finally finished my character. Let me know what you think.

Amund Tyrson
Bonebonded - Farbauti

Total 58 + 10 + 17 + 29 + 6 = 120

Abilities - 56
STR 4
STA 4
AGL 4
DEX 3
FGH 4
INT 3
AWA 4
PRE 3

Skills – 29
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 6 (+10)
Close Combat 6 (+10)
Deception 4 (+7)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Investigation 4(+7)
Perception 7(+11)
Ranged Combat 7(+10)
Stealth 6(+10)
Treatment 4(+7)

Advantages - 18
All-out Attack
Defensive Attack
Diehard
Equipment 7
Evasion 1
Fearless
Improved Initiative 2
Instant Up
Quick Draw

Powers - 10
Metamorph: Feature 24 (10pp)
- Activation 2, Limited (Outside)
Kevlar reinforced Viking Armor (8ep)
- Impervious Defense 6 (Toughness)
-Protection 5 (Noticeable: Armor Plates)
Viking Shield (6ep)
-Removable, Enhanced Trait (Dodge +3, Parry +3), Improved Defense
Viking Sword (6ep)
-Removable, Strength based Damage 2, Improved Critical 3, Penetrating 2
Machine Pistol (14ep)
-Damage 6, Increased Range, Multitattack

Defense - 6
Dodge 7/4
Parry 7/4
Fortitude 6 (2pp)
Toughness 9/4
Will 8 (4pp)

Combat
Initiative +12
Machine Pistol: +10, DC 21, Crit 20
Sword: +10, DC 21, Crit 17-20

Backstory:
Amund doesn't talk much about his past and with good reason. His family was killed by the Jotnr and Dwarfs, his country,Norway, was swallowed by the sea, and the remnants of the Norwegian military, which he had served in for over a decade, was mercilessly crushed by the Destroyers.

He has no home, no family, no purpose and no hope.

Oh, and his father was the Norse god, Tyr. Or so Amund claims any how.

Amund was assumed dead following the assault on the Nine Cities, until he walked, dirty, haggard and half dead, into Loptr Laufeyson's compound. He demanded to under go the procedure and became one of the first BoneBonded.

Now Amund Tyrson uses his own skills, as well as the strength of his Jotuun, Farbauti, to take the fight to the dwarves and make them face harsh justice.

So what do folks think? Sorry it took so long, but I basically had to re-read about 80% of M&M 3E before I could make the two characters. And Farbauti will be posted later, because typing Amund's stat block was the opposite of fun.

kphinderer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kphinderer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:10 am

Okay here's an idea for putting all of our rolls together:

There are settlements of dwarves and humans working together. The Dwarf leadership doesn't like this so they tap into the satellite network to find these locations and destroy them (both Human and Dwarf). So a plan to attack the city (Delhi?) controlling the network is hatched. Of course having the satellite network, it's hard to hide troop movement, making this a look trickier. Also a rumor is going around that the Bonebound have inadvertently come in contact with a Jotun plague making people wary of the best weapon the human have.

As our Holdfast is mobile (unless people don't like the ship idea), it would be a good idea for us to coordinate the movements; also it's harder for the satellites to pinpoint us.

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 am

For my $.02.
I would say he looks good, but his equipment seems a bit over the top for using EP. Wearing impervious +protection armor is a little like walking around wearing battleship plates (additionally, devices/equipment are by default noticeable, An undercover shirt would have to take ranks of subtle), a sword that directs your hand to the vital spots (improved crit (let alone rank 3)) sounds more like something out of legend. Same goes for a shield that helps you out of danger. All of them could easily be done with standard power points, but using equipment points just seems a bit cheap. On a side note, you could easily drop some points (of whatever type) by making the sword an alt of the gun (ala an accessory belt). You wouldn't be able to go in two fisted, but you would end up with more points to spend. Again, all of this is just my opinion, make your character as you see fit.

kphinderer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kphinderer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:47 pm

To quote Deadpool, "You have failed me, brain!" my mind's been so scattered that I didn't even notice that there was a second page to the thread...

kanly wrote:So, just wondering, when did Raj find the time to become a medical doctor/psychologist (5+ ranks in both skills) as well as an engineer? You don't mention anything in your history about it, so I would suggest you just use beginners luck for your occasional psychology and treatment skill checks and invest those 6 points somewhere else like boosting your armor or getting a defense rating (you are currently only PL4 defensively). You currently have nice armor and a big gun implying you want to get into combat, but move like a turtle and something big is going to squish you flat. Otherwise, you could just go with cool gadgets (I'm sure the dwarfs have plenty), dump the armor and gun and leave the fighting to professional Jarheads. Right now, you are somewhere in the middle, which is just going to get you hurt.

Also, you over spent your cap for ranged combat by a point so you should either drop dex one or a rank of ranged attack. However, since your only ranged weapon is you uber cool dwarf gun I would just take skill ranks in ranged combat with it rather than ranged attack and save a few points or drop one or two alt powers and give some razzle dazzle to the ones you keep.

These are all good suggestions. I like my gun though so I'll keep that but maybe play around with it a bit. If anyone can think of any good dwarven inventions, that would help (though I do have to spec out the robot minions I have).

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:10 pm

No problems. I will try to think of suggestions for dwarf tech and like I said to Captain Indigo, these are just my suggestions take or leave them as you wish, I will not be crushed (well, unless my bonebonded Jotunn falls on me that is) :lol:

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Thought it was time I take the plunge and post my own builds. Feel free to make any comments or suggestions.

Here is my attampt at a littleman. I spent 3 pts for the holdfast giving us 15 Equipment Pts to play with.

Heinric Bottenger-Bonebonded - PL 8

Strength 0, Stamina 4, Agility 0, Dexterity 6, Fighting 3, Intellect 0, Awareness 5, Presence 3

Advantages
All-out Attack, Assessment, Connected, Contacts, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 2, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 6, Fascinate (Deception), Holdfast 3,Improved Aim, Inspire 2, Languages (English, Norse,), Leadership, Luck 2, Quick Draw, Set-up, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge (hearing), Well informed

Skills
Deception 9 (+12), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+6), Insight 5 (+10), Investigation 10 (+10), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion 3 (+6), Ranged Combat: Firearms 4 (+10)

Powers
Briliant Deduction: Senses 5 (Postcognition, Rapid: Vision 1; Check Required 2: DC 12 - Investigation)
Morph: Morph 3 (Broad group; Metamorph 3; Activation 2: standard action, Distracting, Limited: Near bones)

Equipment
Bulletproof Vest, Utility Belt (Binoculars, Cell Phone (Smartphone), Flash-bang, Flashlight, Fragmentation Grenade, Machine Pistol, Multi-tool, Sawed-Off Shotgun, Sleep Gas Grenade, Tear Gas Grenade)

Offense
Initiative +0
Flash-bang, +6 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Fragmentation Grenade, +6 (DC Dog 15)
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 10)
Machine Pistol, +10 (DC 18)
Sawed-Off Shotgun, +10 (DC 21 )
Sleep Gas Grenade, +6 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Tear Gas Grenade, +6 (DC Dog/Fort 14)
Throw, +6 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 15)

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10/4, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 42 + Powers 13 + Advantages 30 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 120

Validation: Complications: At least 2 Complications are required

Here is my attempt at the big end of a Bonebonded duo.

Vidar of Clan Jotunn - PL 12

Strength 12, Stamina 12, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 7, Intellect -2, Awareness -2, Presence 2

Advantages
Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Improved Critical: Unarmed, Improvised Weapon 4, Interpose, Luck, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+9), Intimidation 10 (+18), Ranged Combat: Throw 6 (+6)

Powers
Bonebonded: Morph 4 (Activation 2: standard action, Distracting, Limited: Near to bones)
Giant Shield: Device (Easily Removable)
Put it between you and the hurty things: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+8), Parry +4 (+8))
Shield banging: Cumulative Perception Area Affliction 4 (Alternate; 1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Disabled, 3rd degree: Unaware, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 14; Perception Area: hearing, Cumulative; Limited: only effects hearing)
Wall of steel: Deflect 8
Immunity: Immunity 17 (Critical Hits, Interaction Skills, Life Support)
Multiple Effects
Growth: Growth 12 (+12 STR, +12 STA, +6 Intimidate, -12 Stealth, -6 active defenses, +3 size categories, +1 speed ranks; Custom: +1 size, Innate; Custom: No speed ranks, Permanent)
Speed: Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 22)
Shield banging: Cumulative Perception Area Affliction 4 (DC Fort 14)
Throw, +9 (DC 27)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 27)

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 8/4, Parry 8/4, Fortitude 12, Toughness 16, Will 3

Power Points
Abilities 14 + Powers 64 + Advantages 17 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 120

Validation: Complications: At least 2 Complications are required
Last edited by kanly on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Captain Indigo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Captain Indigo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Kphinder - I'd suggest digging through Norse mythology, as there's all sorts of interesting things that the dwarfs built. Everything from weapons to much more exotic stuff, like animals and such.

kanly - I was mostly just following the example of the bonebonded pilot that is in the GDrive folder, which is also seriously EP heavy. I may follow the suggestion to make the sword and machine pistol post of the same array though. As far as the effects being too over the top or "out of legend", I thought the entire point was that our characters ARE the stuff of legend.

Also, posting from my phone is a TREMENDOUS pain in the ass, so please forgive any strange formatting and such.

kanly
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kanly » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:00 pm

As you can see, my own build is fairly EP heavy, but all my items are fairly mundane. However, my giant uses a 60' tall shield of 1' thick steel so I didn't think it really was appropriate to simply charge him 6 ep for a +3 parry and dodge so I made it something more epic (or at least tried to). I don't argue that we shouldn't be making the stuff of legends, just that we shouldn't use equipment points to do so. Check out the UNDER THE HOOD: DEVICES VS. EQUIPMENT aside in the GADGETS & GEAR section of the main rulebook. Legendary items should probably be devices.

Kphinderer, here are a few places to look for inspiration.

http://www.viking-mythology.com/items.php
http://www.timelessmyths.com/norse/objects.html
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Rifts/Rifts-MagicItems.htm

Captain Indigo- I just found an item of legend that fits right in with your story.

The sword Tyrfing, which was once the property of the one-handed god of bravery and war
Tyr, is an item that was said to actually exist at some point. The sword had a hilt made
of gold, it would never miss, it would never rust and it would be sharp enough to cut
metal as easily as cloth. But the Dwarfs cursed the blade so that someone would die every
time the sword was drawn and they said the sword would be the source of three great evils.
This sword is reputed, according to the book "Myths of the Norsemen," to have been used
against the Romans, and lost after their empire crumbled.

angille
Bystander
Bystander

Postby angille » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 pm

I was thinking, I may have been remiss in my original post - there's not really a "GM Guideline" or anything. So I want to be clear what my style is, and what I want to see (at least from my end) come out of this playtest.

I'm very much a story GM rather than a numbers and dice GM. (I've been numbers and dice in the past, and there's just so much more to be gained from a "yes, and..." approach) The game will be tailored to the party, so if someone's "missing" their PL limits, that shouldn't be a big deal. That PC will just shine in their own niche.

Also, the PCs will also be operating in a world shaped by the Prologues - I don't expect finalized PCs until those are posted in the IC thread. Take your time - the numbers won't be as important as your actions.

There's already going to be some handwaving going on with the split PL. I'm totally expecting multiple divided party moments - good thing PbP happens to handle that rather well. Green Ronin's 2e Mecha and Manga address this a bit, as does Tracy's War of Metal and Bone. I hope to do it justice, but that's also why we're playtesting.

I will do my best to make sure the HPs come fast and loose. That said, they won't spill out of lost equipment or removable devices. The way I see it, equipment is kind of just a "really removable" device - with "removable" being all sorts of situations not limited to strict physical removal of the object. So I think where I'm going here is that a set of Kevlar reinforced armor plates may well be paid for with EP - but that discount will be repaid at some point in-game. Captain Indigo brought up my Mitch pregen - as crazy-awesome as his knives and guns are, the bandolier holding them all would have a lot more chance of confiscation, damage, or malfunction than devices.

Hope that helps everyone!

Edit: To be clear, what we're playtesting here is not the system. M&M has been hammered and honed over 12 years. The nuts and bolts are solid. My goal is to refine the Prologue Generation, test perception of the Nine Clans and the Nine Cities, and gauge the reception of the world and story.

Oh, one change to RAW (other than the odd Bonebonded Metamorph hack) - we'll be doing what I call "PbP Initiative". It's easy in a real-time game to have the straight round-robin initiative, but the timing of PbP calls for something else. I think the Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion game codifies this method quite well. Everyone rolls Initiative per normal, but instead of specific PCs and NPCs, there are only PC and NPC "slots" in the order. Anyone on each side can take their turn during their side's slot. One side effect of this would be that ranks of Improved Initiative are almost more appropriate for a leader character than a speedster character.
Running Iron Edda: Heroes of Metal and Bone
IC Post | OOC Post

Return to “M&M Game Room”