Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Illusionista
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style OOC

Postby Illusionista » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:38 am

jemal wrote:I actually have no idea who Lorelei is, I thought you made her up.. I don't recognize her from Hellsing..
play her however you want.
I meant since she's not a character from the the anime and was asking if you'd accept an original character from the said show. The reason I asked is that people are all playing actual characters and I'm not ;)

"in the style of Hellsing Abridged" means... Well, watch for yourself. But not at work ;)

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4

I'm going to be redoing the build based on the Hellsing universe archetype of vampire, if that's OK with you. If you haven't watched the show here's an outline of what they can do.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are."
- Niccolò Machiavelli

valhalla_bound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby valhalla_bound » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 am

Here is the Predator after running him through hero lab.

Predator - PL 11

Strength 6, Stamina 8, Agility 2, Dexterity 6, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 6, Presence 0

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical 3: Shoulder Blaster: Blast 10, Improved Critical 4: Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Precise Attack (All) 4, Quick Draw, Tracking

Skills
Athletics 4 (+10), Close Combat: Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10 2 (+10), Insight 4 (+10), Perception 4 (+10), Stealth 10 (+12), Technology 4 (+6)

Powers
Body Armor: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Impervious; Noticeable: Armored Plates)
Cloaking: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Blending, Quirk: Shorted out by Heavy rainfall or standing water)
Facemask
. . Face Mask: Senses 7 (Acute (Type): Hearing, Acute (Type): Vision, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Ultravision)
Healing: Healing 6 (Unreliable (5 uses))
Infravison: Senses 1 (Infravision)
Leaping: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
Weapons Array
. . Self Destruct: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, Triggered: 2 uses - Predator is dropped to Dead or Dying, goes off 2 rounds after; Quirk 2: Damages Predator as Well)
. . Shoulder Blaster: Blast 10 (DC 25, Advantages: Improved Critical 3; Accurate 2: +4, Penetrating 4)
. . Smart Disc: Blast 8 (DC 23; Accurate 2: +4, Homing 2: 2 extra attempts, Indirect: fixed point, directed away, Multiattack)
. . Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10 (DC 31, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Penetrating 4, Split: 2 targets)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 16)
Self Destruct: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Shoulder Blaster: Blast 10, +10 (DC 25)
Smart Disc: Blast 8, +10 (DC 23)
Throw, +6 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 21)
Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10, +10 (DC 31)

Complications
Honor: The Predators hunt for honor, they will not kill children, the sickly or pregnant females unless attacked. If attacked they do not hesitate to kill those who are otherwise unworthy of the hunt.
Luminescent Blood: A wounded Predator maybe easy to track due to it's glowing green blood.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 2, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 13, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 76 + Powers 60 + Advantages 15 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 0 = 165
Last edited by valhalla_bound on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

valhalla_bound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby valhalla_bound » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:33 am

I did change a couple things. But I mostly took stuff away except changed or added a few advantages.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 am

valhalla_bound wrote:Body Armor: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Impervious; Noticeable: Armored Plates)

It looks like you've still got Impervious which won't be netting you any real benefits for this game, per Jemal. Maybe shift those points into Dodge? With several ranged-capable combatants, Dodge is probably not a good area to shirk. Will and Fortitude being under-caps might not be a huge disadvantage (at least against other PCs since there don't seem to be any Fortitude save powers and relatively few Will save ones) but it would be really bad for some of the heavy hitters to be able to use Power Attack and still regularly hit the Predator at range. I mean, jemal did say Vegeta would be in the tournament and you know that little a-hole is going to love throwing out as much power as he can.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:37 am

Alright, took about ten times longer than it should have due to lots of interruptions, but
Here we go

I'd hoped to get all the character critiques up as well, but well, as I said.. Interruptions. Will finish them up tonight. it's far past bedtime. :)

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 am

Probably a good thing that meaningless fighting, hiding, and torturing beaten opponents are not things Goku would ever do...as he definitely zoned out about halfway through the rules...
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Illusionista
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Illusionista » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:35 am

jemal, depending on the timeline of this, I might not be able to get my character rebuilt. Apologies if not.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are."
- Niccolò Machiavelli

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:06 pm

There's a part of me that wishes Goku could hear Deadpool's inner monologue as he'd surely just treat it as the most normal thing in the world.
Builds

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Just a heads up. I'm leaving tonight to travel for the Easter holiday so I'm not 100% certain when I'll be able to get back on the laptop. It should only be for a few days and I'll at least be able to get on the boards with my phone but I didn't want to just vanish.
Builds

valhalla_bound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby valhalla_bound » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Oh btw, I don't actually know how these games work. Whats up with the HP/luck and how does the combat mechanic work on here? <---- Newb to play by post.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:00 pm

HP is hero points which everyone starts out with one of. Luck gives you one reroll in the game for each point you have. Typically we post with character name, then any HP and Luck or other expendable points, then Condition which includes toughness penalties and any conditions like stunned or dazed you might have.

Combat and all other dice rolls are handled using a site called Invisible Castle then posting the roll link as a quote in your IC posts. Combat posting usually follows initiative order unless the GM decides otherwise and standard protocol is a player has 1-2 days to post once their turn comes before they lose their turn. Players may ask for an extension for extenuating real life circumstances like internet issues, work, family stuff, etc but its encouraged to try and give as much warning as possible to avoid delaying games.
Builds

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Here's an example of a combat post from an old game. Here I've put a link to my build for my own easy reference. You'll also notice that my character's name and speech are colored. Its standard protocol to pick a color for speech to make it a bit easier to find a character's 'voice' in a thread. These threads get long fast so build links and character colors can really help. Obviously, I'm abusing "talking is a free action" here ;)

The Question
HP: 2 LP: 2 Condition: Fine

"WAKE UP ALICE AND STEAL HIS MAGIC!" "Blake" bellowed in English as he leaped straight over a crate. He didn't wait to see if the poor girl heeded his command. A fist slammed into the Hauptmagus' chest as the Great White Hunter entered the fray. The savage nobleman danced nimbly on his feet. His lips formed into a toothy sneer as he growled in German, <<"Compensating with your big stick?">>

Attack Roll with Tiger Strikes Twice: DC 20 with Secondary Effect 1d20+9=22
Builds

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 am

Illusionista - Why might you not have the time? If it's b/c I've started the IC, that's as I said to give us something to roleplay/get going with before the characters are finished. Is there something else that may be preventing/slowing down your character?

I'm familiar with both Hellsing and Abridged, I just confused what you were saying. I guess that's WHY I don't recognize her from the show. :P
If she's your own creation then play her however you want. :)
As long as you don't play her like Deadpool.. one of him is enough.

"HEY! That some kinda shot?"
No, but can you imagine how unfair it would be to everybody else if there were even more of your awesomeness?
"yeah, I guess.."

Ahem.. anyways..

Watchman - Thank you for the quick rundown for Valhalla.
Valhalla - I didn't realize how knew you were, I hope you still enjoys this, it's not exactly a beginner friendly setting.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Re: Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style Recruiting

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:51 am

VampGuy wrote:Richard B. Riddick - PL 11
Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 7, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 1

52pp

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Close Combat: Knives (4), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment, Evasion, Improved Crit: Knife (4), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (2), Improvised Weapons, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Skill Mastery (4: Expertise/Intimidate/Sleight of Hand/Stealth), Startle, Ultimate Effort (Will), Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Bind

Close combat advantage is not limited to a specific attack, that's what skills are for. the Close Combat Advantage gives you a +1 to ALL melee attacks.

Skills
Acrobatics - 8, Athletics - 8, Close Combat:Knives - 6, Close Combat:Unarmed - 4, Deception - 8, Expertise:Escape Artist - 12, Insight - 8, Intimidation - 12, Investigation - 8, Perception - 12, Ranged Combat:Knives - 6, Sleight of Hand - 12, Stealth - 12, Treatment - 2, Vehicles - 10

It seems like these are just the skill points spent. Please also include the totals with attributes et all. (See any other character sheet for example)

Senses: Darkvision
...Flaw: Limited (Bright Light without goggles. Attack bonuses and vision based checks take a -1 penalty unless wearing goggles)
...Innate
That's a complication, not a flaw.

Offense
Unarmed +11
Knives +17 (Close Attack Knives (4))
Ranged:Knives +13

The unarmed would actually be +15 (7 fgt + 4 close combat + 4 skill)
Ranged knives skill 6 + dex 4 = 10, where's the other +3 from?
The close combat knives are a bit too much of a trade-off. at PL 11 you could have them up to +16 accuracy (Allowing for 6 damage).. Also, none of your attacks are at PL CAP, and this is a primarily combat focused game.

Complications
Reputation: Known for being tricky to catch, even trickier to keep that way.
Enemy: Bounty Hunters: There is always someone breathing down his neck for the reward
Honor : A deal's a deal
Secret: Furian lineage

Aside from the Honor thing, none of these will matter here.

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 9, Fortitude 5, Toughness 5, Will 8

I would VERY MUCH suggest upping your defenses to meet PL Caps, as this is primarily a combat game.
I also get a different cost from you:
Dodge (4 agi + 4 pp) Parry (7 fgt + 2pp) Fort (3 sta + 2 pp) Tough (3 sta + 2 defensive roll) Will (3 awe + 5pp)
4+2+2+5=13pp, you have 15 listed later for defenses.

Equipment
Flash Goggles
Knife (4) - (2)18" on waist, (2)6" hidden

What are the stats you wanted on these knives? With only 1 rank of equipment, you have 5 ep. 1 for the flash goggles, and with 4 knives that's 1ep each.. which would only be a straight up 1 damage melee attack.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Re: Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style Recruiting

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 am

The_Watchman wrote:Goku (Abridged) - PL 12

OK first off, I'm presuming (Cuz it seems pretty obvious) that the stuff in Yellow is super saiyan mode, And red is kaioken.

Strength 14/11, Stamina 15/12, Agility 5/4, Dexterity 0, Fighting 7/6, Intellect -1, Awareness 3, Presence -1

Why does Goku, generally good looking and almost universally loved by every non-evil person he meets, have a negative presence score? I get the int, being the abridged version (I'm quite frankly shocked the int isn't lower :P ), but Presence?

Advantages
All-out Attack, Assessment, Improved Critical 2: Chi Blasts, Improved Critical 2: Martial Arts, Improved Initiative 3/2, Luck 2, Power Attack

OK, I see the assessment under sense energy, and the red stuff is from Kaioken, but aside from that you have 6 advantages listed, and are only paying for 4. *EDIT: After looking at the whole character, I think I figured it out. See my comment after your point total*

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+7), Close Combat: Martial Arts 2 (+9), Ranged Combat: Ranged Techniques 9 (+9)

The close combat is assuming Super Saiyan is active. Not a problem, just pointing it out.
Also, you have 13 skill points here, why not add in the extra one you get for free? Say 1 more acrobatics, or 1 athletics?

Powers
Combat Techniques
. . Energy Wave: Strength-based Strike 1 (DC 30; Increased Range: ranged [14 extra ranks], Split: 2 targets)
. . Kamehameha: Strength-based Strike 1 (DC 30; Homing: 1 extra attempt, Increased Range: ranged [14 extra ranks])
. . Solar Flare: Cone Area Dazzle 9 (Affects Sense: Sight, Resisted by: Will, DC 19; Cone Area: 60 feet cone; Diminished Range, Sense-dependent: Sight)
. . Spirit Bomb: Strength-based Strike 3 (DC 32; Increased Range: ranged [14 extra ranks], Secondary Effect [14 extra ranks]; Activation 2: standard action, Distracting [14 extra ranks], Inaccurate: -2)
. . Super-speed Strikes: Strength-based Strike 1 (DC 30; Insidious, Multiattack [14 extra ranks])

I'm ordinarily very against this type of 'strength based' array, but for this game I'll allow it.
18+4 ap = 22pp

Energy Sensing
. . Sense Energy: Senses 7 (Accurate: Energy, Detect: Energy 1, Extended: Energy 4: x10k)

Detect is normally close range, you have to apply ranged before you can make it extended. Also We'll need to discuss what counts as 'energy' for the purposes of this sense.
. . Sense Power Level: Enhanced Trait 6 (Traits: Insight +10 (+13), Advantages: Assessment; Limited: Assessment Only)

Skills are normally 1/2 ranks, adding limited to them makes them 1/3 ranks. At 5 ranks, that's 15 skill points. (I presume enhanced trait 6 means 5 for skills 1 for the advantage).
7pp + 1 ap = 8pp.

Flight: Flight 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)
. . Maximum Speed: Flight 10 (Alternate; Speed: 2000 miles/hour, 4 miles/round; Distracting)

11pp

Kaioken: Enhanced Trait 4 (Advantages: Improved Critical 2, Improved Critical 2; Noticeable: Red Aura)

3pp.

Super Saiyan Form (Activation: Free Action)
. . Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 17 (Traits: Strength +3 (+14), Stamina +3 (+15), Fighting +1 (+7), Agility +1 (+5), Improved Initiative 3 +1 (+3); Quirk: Hair and Eye Color Change)

For the record, that quirk is not enough to qualify for a cost reduction. I'll give you the noticeable once for the Kaioken, but no double tapping it for both of them.
Also Improved Initiative 3 +1 (+3). Is a bit confusing. You're only buying 1 extra rank of improved init to bring the total up to 3 (from the 2 you paid for in advantages), so why not just write it as you did all your other stats? Improved Init +1 (+3)? The extra 3 in there is extraneous and a bit confusing.
17pp

Offense
Initiative +17/+13
Energy Wave: Strength-based Strike 1, +9 (DC 30)
Grab, +7 (DC Spec 24)
Kamehameha: Strength-based Strike 1, +9 (DC 30)
Solar Flare: Cone Area Dazzle 9 (DC Will 19)
Spirit Bomb: Strength-based Strike 3, +7 (DC 32)
Super-speed Strikes: Strength-based Strike 1, +9 (DC 30)

Init should be +17/+12. Super Saiyan actually gives you +5, as your agility is only 4 base (+1 = 5 with super Saiyan).
Also you should write by each attack its' effects such as Crit range, Multi-attack, etc.

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 15, Toughness 15, Will 9

dodge 2p + 5 agi; Parry 7 fgt; Fort 15 sta; Tough 15 sta; Will 6p + 3 awe
8pp.
Also, your dodge/parry/toughness defense is under PL cap? in a combat focused tournament? To the death? As Goku?

Abilities 68 + Powers 63 + Advantages 4 + Skills 7 (13 ranks) + Defenses 8 = 150

I count 68+61+6+7+8 = 150.
I'm guessing from the discrepancy between powers & Advantages that you originally had 2 more of those advantages listed under Kaioken or Super Saiyan and changed it but forgot to change the numbers.

Return to “M&M Game Room”