Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
jemal
Hero
Hero

Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style OOC

Postby jemal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:07 am

Characters:
XeroKhan - Deadpool
Evolucion - Smoke
Valhalla_Bound - Predator
Vampguy - Riddick
The_Watchman - Goku Abridged
Voidrazor - Merlin
Neko_Arc - Arcueid Brunestud
Alex - Elsa
Karma - Princess Peach

----

Alright, so I once had an astonishingly successful D&D game based around an inter-planar tournament, and I'd like to attempt to recreate that using M&M.
It will be a One-shot, though may be a bit extensive, not a short adventure.

The basic idea is an Ultimate Showdown

You were expecting the song weren't you? :P

Powerful heroes/villains from all across the multiverse have been invited, summoned, or forcibly extracted to an extradimensional island by an insanely powerful Cosmic Being known as 'BROB the Producer'.
Any type of origin or style of character would work, whether they're a Bucky O'hare, ninja turtles, Superman, Time Lord, Sith lord, Transformer, Gundam, etc.. so long as they could hold their own in an Ultimate Showdown

It will be a primarily combat oriented game, but I'm usually open to combat alternatives.. though keep in mind that you were all brought here b/c the 'producer' thought you'd make a good show, so that's something I'll be looking for.
It will not be a standard '1v1' tournament, more of a 'everybody's loose on an island filled with traps/monsters' kinda thing. It's not last man standing, there will be objectives (To be filled in later, so that characters are not built with them in mind, muahaha), and teaming up is possible for some scenarios.

Now, for you good fellows I have a few things to vote on:
First the obvious: Edition. 2e or 3e are both fine with me, so whatever the majority rules. If you're ok with both, please state that too so I can take it into consideration.

Second: Power level. Obviously we want them to be ass-kickers, if this is supposed to be the Ultimate Showdown, but there are a few options:

PL 10-12 : The characters are usually stronger, but everybody has been brought to the same general power level by BROB to make the 'show' more entertaining.
(Base PL would be 11 with the common "1pl for 15pp" tradeoff either up or down.)

PL 12-16 : a wider range, allowing for more variance of character styles, including some truly powerful beings.
(Base PL would be 14 with the common "1pl for 15pp" tradeoff either up or down, able to change up to 2pl.)

PL 16+: OK, what the hell, I've never actually seen a game this high, so might as well make it an option!
(Base PL would be 16, and you can go up to 20 by trading 10pp per level.

**In all cases, keep in mind that if you trade PL UP (meaning less pp), I will be wary of point shaving techniques used to mitigate the price you're paying for being stronger.

Third, Original characters, Established Characters, or Mix & Match?
-Established characters would be the Players using superman, goku, Darth Vader, etc.
-Oringal Characters: means ones you made up (Not a name everybody knows like the established characters), they don't have to be completely 'original', and could include general ideas from existing genres, like 'jedi, saiyan, time lord, giant mecha' etc.
-Mix & Match would be open field - players can propose original or established characters. This is my personal preference, but I'm offering the choice here in case anybody has a real opposition to one or the other.

A few notes: Unlike most games I've seen, and 99.9% of games I've run, death would be a thing in this game, and it is possible for a player to be ousted from the tournament via the death of their character. (Though don't let that discourage you from submitting your fave character, it's just an alternate reality anyways. :P)
Also, obviously it's not going to be a heavy-serious game, It's just supposed to be fun, and Rule of Cool will most definitely be in effect.

***NEW STUFF FOLLOWS***
Now Recruiting, Character creation info below:

System: 3e
Base PL: 11 (165pp). Can Trade 1 PL up or down for 15pp: PL 10(180pp); PL 12(150pp)
*Note: As stated before, your character may normally be more powerful than this, but has been 'toned down' by BROB to provide a 'better show'

Character Options: Mix&Match/Open House.
-You may play any pre-established character from virtually any setting or power level
-You may play something you made up, whether it's based on a setting, amalgamation of settings, or home brew

Character Requirements: In order to have been chosen for the tournament, the character must be reasonably and notably intelligent, Free Willed creature capable of communication. Good or Evil are not factors on whether a character would be selected, though will affect possible allies/enemies (If any) during some tournament sections.
The character needs a reason that they came here : Whether it is willingly or not. BROB has offered a prize for the winner: three wishes of nearly unlimited potential. If you're here for the prize, background should include what you want. If not, you should include a reason that you are here, or that BROB chose to include you against your wishes.
*NOTE: The tournament final can have only one winner, but not all stages are Lethal, nor are they all 'single winner takes all', so co-operation at some stages is possible.

Free Feature: Theme Song - All characters should have a Theme Song. This will provide circumstantial bonuses at various points in the campaign.

House Rules:
In the tournament setting I have planned, numerous powers/advantages either don't make sense or would be either unbalanced or useless. They may be listed as part of your background and/or for fluff purposes, but while on the island, they will not be active, so don't spend points on them:
Immortality, Insubstantial beyond rank 1, Dimensional Travel, Space Travel, Summon, Sidekick, Minion, Contacts, Connected, Most benefit advantages (Wealth, status, security clearance, etc), certain immunities (Aging, Immunity to all toughness effects)
There may be others, but they should be easy to identify on your own, and if you're unsure just ask. I will add to this list if/when more banned powers get brought up.

Other power modifiers:
-Each rank of Presence gives a bonus social advantage, though keep in mind that some of them are of limited functionality for certain portions of the tournament.
-I do not allow using alternate powers on just the 'damage half' of strength.
-Regen is 2/rank, and there WILL be a couple sources of Incurable Damage
-I do not like powerful Regen or Healing unless it's a Primary facet of the character (Wolverine/Deadpool), and definitely not as an Alternate Power to anything.
-Luck: Limit to 2 ranks, +1 rank for each rank of luck control you have.
-Innate: There WILL be nullifying effects, so keep that in mind if any of your powers should be innate.

Removable Powers:
For this setting, Removable powers provide a bit of a problem. It requires the character to be essentially helpless and out of combat before it can be taken away, but at that point in this setting, the fact that you're loosing your device is secondary to what ELSE you'll probably be loosing.
As such, normal 'removable' devices(Super suit, etc) will be only a complication, not a cost reduction. They 'could' come up during the tournamnet, but it's unlikely & Rare enough that it's worth an HP, not a cost reduction.
Easily Removable will remain the same b/c it can be taken away with a disarm check.

Fear Rules:
I will be using alternative rules regarding fear. Whether any of you decide to make a fear-using/themed character or just wish to know what you're up against, here they are:
Horror Effects:
I dislike how weak 'fear' is in M&M, and so will be adding 'Horror' as a +1/rank modifier that can be added to any Fear-based effect (Including Intimidate, making it cost 1pp/skill rank), turning it's descriptor into Horror to showcase truly terrifying powers. Horror effects are not considered Emotion or Fear effects, they are more primal.
Fearless:
This advantage is now Ranked with 3 ranks. Rank 1 is essentially Second Chance: Fear effects. Rank 2 is Immunity to Fear Effects and +2 circumstance bonus to saves against Horror Effects. Rank 3 is Second Chance: Horror Effects(while retaining the +2 circumstance from rank 2).
You cannot take Second Chance: Horror Effects outside of the fearless ranked advantage.
Last edited by jemal on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style one-shot, interest/i

Postby Shadow13 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Sounds intersting
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Interesting. So, death being a possibility, that interests me the most.

"Me too!"

Oh, crap. Not you again. *pinches the bridge of nose*

"Oh, come on! I've ALWAYS wanted my own show. I mean, Wolvie gets a show, the Avengers get their own show, and even Spidey got his own show with Power Man, Nova, and even Iron Fist as his allies. I may have had a short cameo, but it's not enough for me. Not even my video game (Deadpool, rated M for Mature due to so much of my awesomeness being in that game) could contain every single epic thing I wanted to do (d*** you, HighMoon for not putting more of my Awesomeness in there!)."

"Well, they had to make some limit for entertainment value for the players."

"Oh, don't give me that mumbo-jumbo. You know how much epicness I can bring out!"

"Yeah, you just gotta believe!"

"Ugh."

Can I finally speak?

"Well. Go ahead, Mr. High King of the Universe. Don't mind my ramblings and even debate on how epic I am. I'll just go visit my recent good friend, Ambush Bug."

Finally, he's gone.

"No, I'm not."

SHUT UP!

Sorry about that. As I was saying, that does sound like an interesting concept. Keep me updated!

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:38 am

So, 3e (I'm more used to it now), 10-12 (higher levels tend to be grotesquely complicated and time consuming), mix and match (More freedom for everyone). I believe that's the three votes needed.

Shimizu
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Shimizu » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 am

Oh, I'm very interested. As for my votes:

- I'm willing to play either edition, although I favor 3E.
- PL 10-12. I think 12-16 is a bit too wide of a PL range, and 16+ would just be nuts.
- Mix-and match, because it would encourage more entries.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:37 am

I forgot my input on PL. 10-12 seems alright, and 12-16 would be crazy strong. 16+ is too much, for I'd be unable to think on how to build a character up.

Common Terms I will use:

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

I'm game for this. I am a 2e guy, but perhaps I'd submit a 3e guy just to get my feet wet in that system.

I like a slightly lower PL thing, so the 10-12 sounds good.

And the mix-and-match is perhaps best.

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi

- 3e
- 10-12pl
- mix and match

'nuff said :wink:
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

NekoArc
Bystander
Bystander

Postby NekoArc » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Well if you don't mind putting up with someone who is new to playing games on this forum I would like to give it ta try. I am more comfortable with 2e but will give 3e a try since I suspect I am a little outvoted. How often are we expected to post and are there any other house rules besides the ban on immortality? Also as for as my preference would go pl 10 - 12 and a mix of established and original characters.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:13 am

Neko, welcome aboard, and no worries, we were all new at some point. :) And yes, there will be more house rules, but I'll be waiting till the game type is decided before I post more detailed character info.
Posting frequency really depends on a lot of things, like how much inter-party RP the group does, how combat's going, etc. Sometimes you'll get dozens of posts in a day, sometimes only a couple in a week.
If you can post at least once a week (on average.. after all, 'stuff' happens), that'll be sufficient, though the more active you can be the better.

Now, onto the votes: I must say I'm surprised how unanimous the PL vote is going. I guess 12-16 was a bit too wide of a range, but I figured at least a couple people would want to try out a higher power game.
I suspected most people would vote for the Mix&Match character origins, but figured I'd check to see if anybody had a problem with it first.

So, onto the Interested parties and their votes for Edition, since PL 10-12 and Mix&Match origins have been unanimous thus far.
NekoArc: 2e>3e
Walking Dad: 3e
XLS: 2e>3e
Shimizu: 3e>2e
Evolucion: 3e
Xerokhan: Didn't say (Though I've seen him play both)
Shadow13: Didn't say

Looks like a gentle lean towards 3e so far, I'll leave another day for people to vote, but unless we get several 2e shouts, It'll most likely be 3.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:52 am

I could play both systems
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Shadow13 wrote:I could play both systems

Ditto.

*Thinks for a second, then face-palms self*

On second thought, let me just say that either one works for me.

Common Terms I will use:

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:41 am

For a couple horrifying seconds I thought you were proposing that as a character...

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:02 am

Sleep depravation, thankfully my last iron transfusion for awhile kinda jumbles my brain some what. I can play in either system. As for what Pl and PP i would lean towards the middle choice Pl 12-14 ish with extra PP to cute loose.

As for characters
" The fools think they are the strongest in the universe, I am the elite amongst the Sayians I am the Prince of the of all Sayians I am a Super Sayian." :twisted:
or
"Bio Boost!" :twisted:

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am

Vageta vs. Deadpool (my proposed character without his Immortality)...

Dang, Vageta's gonna get ticked off VERY quickly.

Common Terms I will use:

Return to “M&M Game Room”