Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
jemal
Hero
Hero

Re: Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style Recruiting

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 am

Voidrazor wrote:Merlin Ambrosius - PL 11
Powers 113pp

Practical Prophecy (Advantages: Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 4, Evasion 2, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative 4, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge) 59pp
Combat Prescience: Enhanced Trait 28 (Traits: Dodge +14 (+14), Parry +14 (+14))
Seer's Vision: Senses 20 (Awareness: Cosmic, Counters All Concealment, Counters Illusion, Danger Sense, Penetrates Concealment, Precognition, Quirk: Must remain cryptic when speaking about knowledge gained from precognition or postcognition.)

I presume the 59pp is for ALL of this, even though you have it listed with the advantages?
What are these senses enhancing (Counters concealment/illusion, penetrates concealment)?
Also the cryptic quirk isn't really a good quirk, since the knowledge you gain from precog is already cryptic to begin with.

Magic: Damage 11 (DC 26; Accurate 5: +10, Incurable, Ranged, Indirect 4: any point, any direction) 42pp
Dynamic Alt - Transmogrification: Cumulative Affliction 11 (Alternate; 1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Transformed, Resisted by: Will, DC 21; Accurate 5: +10, Cumulative, Reversible)
Dynamic Alt - Weave the Elements: Create 11 (Volume: 2000 cft., DC 21, Advantages: Accurate Attack, Power Attack; Accurate 5: +10, Precise, Subtle: look natural)
Dynamic Alt - Wards: Create 11 (Alternate; Volume: 2000 cft., DC 21; Affects Insubstantial 2: full rank, Continuous, Selective; Diminished Range 2, Limited: Only to create hollow spheres and spheroid sections, Quirk: Cannot support Weight)

No to selective create.
Dynamic Alt - Animal Form: Multiple Effects
Morph 3 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Broad group)
Shrinking 8 (-2 STR, -4 Intimidate, +8 Stealth, +4 active defenses, -2 size categories, -1 speed ranks)
Dynamic Alt - Far Sight: Multiple Effects
Senses 17 (Sustained; Acute, Analytical Detect Magic [visual]; Extended 4: x10k cosmic awareness; Radius, Tracking, Extended 2: x100 vision; Postcognition; all Stacking with Seer's Vision)
Enhanced Trait: +8 Perception, +11 Insight

So acute, analytical = Detect magic
Extended 4 = Cosmic awareness
Radius, tracking, extended 2 = Vision
is this correct?

Defense
Dodge 14/0, Parry 14/0, Fortitude 11, Toughness 8/4, Will 11

7 p fort, 6p will

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 114 + Advantages 2 + Skills 7 (14 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 162

You only have 1 advantage listed above.

Draconic Soulshift Form - PL 11

First off, I presume from the fact that his non-physical attributes are changed by this, and that you gain different complications, that it isn't just a physical change?

Also after going over the characters in more detail, I'm going to ask that you only take ONE of the alternate forms. Even without an alternate form, Merlin's pretty powerful, the addition of either of these forms adds a lot more versatility and power, both is just too much.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style OOC

Postby The_Watchman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 am

I'll do a more thorough response once I get where I can use the laptop but a few things I can answer via phone typing.

The weirdness of some of the output is from Herolab. Maybe its a setting issue but it always seems to default to kind of illogical and confusing formats. I'll do some manual format changes when I fix the other build issues.

Ditto for the math. The advantages and attributes are added to their respective areas but are paid for in powers. I'll double check as I think I may have copied just part of the output last time I made a change.

How defenses ended up under caps...I have no idea. I specifically checked that. I must have set them for his base form then only halfway adjusted to the change in PL for Super Saiyan. I'll adjust for that.

Good point on Presence. Probably going to move that decrease to Int then. While normal Goku has a good Presence, I'm not sure Goku Abridged is above average there since he's a terrible liar and not very inspiring. Like all the DBZ fighter characters, his main social interactions seem to be an Advantage to use Strength for Intimidate checks and that would be really broken for this game.

Sense Energy is basically a "sense life" power for the Z fighters as I understand it, keyed specifically to their strength I would guess. Since the fighters seem to have to physically search to find people like Bulma despite presumably knowing her 'aura' really well, I would theorize that it is specifically tied to physical strength (bolstered by ki energy) not something more nebulous like (M&M) power level. It specifically does not work on non-organic foes either. So he would get a good read off someone like Superman, poor reads off people that are skilled but have human strength and rely on technology (losing some ranks of Senses towards those people or taking attack penalties if forced to rely on Sense Energy as his targeting sense), and it's totally useless on constructs, undead, etc.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:55 am

The_Watchman wrote:I'll do a more thorough response once I get where I can use the laptop but a few things I can answer via phone typing.

The weirdness of some of the output is from Herolab.
Yeah.. I dislike herolab..

Sense Energy is basically a "sense life" power for the Z fighters as I understand it, keyed specifically to their strength I would guess. Since the fighters seem to have to physically search to find people like Bulma despite presumably knowing her 'aura' really well, I would theorize that it is specifically tied to physical strength (bolstered by ki energy) not something more nebulous like (M&M) power level. It specifically does not work on non-organic foes either. So he would get a good read off someone like Superman, poor reads off people that are skilled but have human strength and rely on technology (losing some ranks of Senses towards those people or taking attack penalties if forced to rely on Sense Energy as his targeting sense), and it's totally useless on constructs, undead, etc.

Maybe just call it Sense ki/Chi then? Would that be more appropriate to what he's actually doing?

Illusionista
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Illusionista » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 am

I'm gonna keep Lorelei as is. Hellsing Ultimate Abridged isn't the end all be all for black comedy vampires (though it's a preety good source ;)) So yeah, she's an original character. I'll answer your critique very soon.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are."
- Niccolò Machiavelli

Illusionista
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Illusionista » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:35 am

Updated Lorelei. Got rid of Favored Environment and lowered Healing as requested. Lowered some skills, gave her a few more fighty type feats. Gave Healing Restoration to equal it out. Got a rank of Speed too.

The Drain Power variable is when she drinks someone's blood she gains some of their powers.

Smell IS ranged when it comes to strong scents, but you're right, its not usually ranged.

I updated the Weakness complication to be more concise.

Argus, while not a minion or a sidekick, is someone who stays by her side. I could put that as a Benefit or Feature if you wish.
- Niccolò Machiavelli

Illusionista
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Illusionista » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 am

Should I post? I'm technically not done with my character.
- Niccolò Machiavelli

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:23 pm

most people aren't. As I said, it's currently for roleplaying while we finish.
Everyone can post IC, and should to show they're still around. :)

valhalla_bound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby valhalla_bound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Can I make a change. Appearntly my impervious wont be useful. So I can up my defenses.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Yes, as I've said characters are not finalized yet. In fact I have several changes I've asked people to make already and more will be coming after I'm done work tonight.

valhalla_bound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby valhalla_bound » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Updated Predator

Predator - PL 11

Strength 6, Stamina 8, Agility 2, Dexterity 6, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 6, Presence 0

Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical 3: Shoulder Blaster: Blast 10, Improved Critical 4: Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Precise Attack (All) 4, Quick Draw, Tracking

Skills
Athletics 4 (+10), Close Combat: Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10 2 (+10), Insight 4 (+10), Perception 4 (+10), Stealth 10 (+12), Technology 4 (+6)

Powers
Body Armor: Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Noticeable: Armored Plates)
Cloaking: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Blending, Quirk: Shorted out by Heavy rainfall or standing water)
Facemask
. . Face Mask: Senses 7 (Acute (Type): Hearing, Acute (Type): Vision, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Ultravision)
Healing: Healing 6 (Unreliable (5 uses))
Infravison: Senses 1 (Infravision)
Leaping: Leaping 2 (Leap 30 feet at 8 miles/hour)
Weapons Array
. . Self Destruct: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Burst Area 2: 60 feet radius sphere, Triggered: 2 uses - Predator is dropped to Dead or Dying, goes off 2 rounds after; Quirk 2: Damages Predator as Well)
. . Shoulder Blaster: Blast 10 (DC 25, Advantages: Improved Critical 3; Accurate 2: +4, Penetrating 4)
. . Smart Disc: Blast 8 (DC 23; Accurate 2: +4, Homing 2: 2 extra attempts, Indirect: fixed point, directed away, Multiattack)
. . Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10 (DC 31, Advantages: Improved Critical 4; Penetrating 4, Split: 2 targets)

Offense
Initiative +10
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 16)
Self Destruct: Burst Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Shoulder Blaster: Blast 10, +10 (DC 25)
Smart Disc: Blast 8, +10 (DC 23)
Throw, +6 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 21)
Wrist Claws: Strength-based Strike 10, +10 (DC 31)

Complications
Honor: The Predators hunt for honor, they will not kill children, the sickly or pregnant females unless attacked. If attacked they do not hesitate to kill those who are otherwise unworthy of the hunt.
Luminescent Blood: A wounded Predator maybe easy to track due to it's glowing green blood.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 13, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 76 + Powers 55 + Advantages 15 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Defenses 5 = 165

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 am

The_Watchman wrote:There's a part of me that wishes Goku could hear Deadpool's inner monologue as he'd surely just treat it as the most normal thing in the world.

Who's to say he can't? :wink: :P

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

VampGuy
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby VampGuy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:29 am

Not gonna lie....may need help with number crunching. I'm gonna attempt it, but I dont expect it to be correct
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam" -- I'll either find a way or make one

Current Games and Characters:
Ultimate Showdown:Riddick

Illusionista
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Illusionista » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:24 pm

I totally forgot about this thread. Apologies. Will have something up later tonight
- Niccolò Machiavelli

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:24 am

Back from travelling. Will try to get the revised Goku up tonight.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Ultimate Showdown: Tournament style Recruiting

Postby Evolución » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:44 am

jemal wrote:Alright, speaking of characters..

The ID's not gonna matter here, and unless your 'rival company' has a super-powered rep at the tournament, that won't matter either.

Don't know how did that got there, its from another character. I must have messed up somewhere there. Original complications added.

Abilities ( 64 pp)
Don't forget your presence bonuses from the house rules.

Ditto, they are specified now.

I presume from the name that 'smoke bomb' is linked to your 'smoke' concealment power, and not your 'invisibility' concealment power?
Keep in mind that with alternate powers and linked, if your chakra strikes is active you won't be able to use the linked concealment at all b/c linked can ONLY be used together.

Yes, its linked with the smoke power, and yes, I'm aware of linked powers thanks to your throughout explanation on your last revision.

Isn't the point of a device that it's cheaper? Adding removable to this would lower the cost. You could get protection 6/stealth 8 or protection 5/stealth 10 for 10p, -2 removable = 8p.

Its supposed to lower the cost, and I was supposed to type a lower cost. I'm also supposed to not be stupid, but I can't stop proving that wrong XD

I assume from the cost, that this 'invisibility' is Concealment: All Visual senses?
Is it an actual 'veil' aka an item, or just a power he can activate?

Yes, all visual, and its a power with a fancy name =D

is this magical?

Like in a magic power? or magical descriptor?

See Smoke bomb re: Linked. Also I presume you meant 'olfactory' senses.. or do you want to be concealed specifically from elven workshops? :p

Elven workshops are everywhere! =P yeah I meant olfactory.

Just out of curiosity, why does the super-elusive ninja have interpose?

I'm glad you ask, and its for dramatic cut scenes where honour mandates that he sacrifices his life for others. =)
Also out of curiosity, given you have TWO concealment effects, is HiPS necessary?
no, but it makes sense for the character. Besides if his powers get nullified it's a quick way out. And its dirty cheap!

Third, I'm happy to see a grab character who isn't a super-strength 'nothing will ever escape my grasp' grapple monster.

Thanks!

Without Jack of all trades, you cannot use Expertise, Treatment, Technology, Sleight of Hand, or Investigation untrained, so listing them is pointless.

I know, its just the spreadsheet I have made for making characters that lists all skills. I'll erase them.

Two things. First, since you have fast grab listing the attack bonus here is kinda pointless, you'll basically be using your unarmed strike to initiate grabs. Second, I'm pretty sure grabbing is an opposed check, not a flat DC.

Same with the above, the spreadsheet takes it as a standard attack. i'll edit.

Final note : I counted 179 pp, so you have 1 more.. not counting any changes.

Ok, I'll add something.

Return to “M&M Game Room”