Player's Pick (Interest)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Player's Pick (Interest)

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Okay, I am out of ideas at the moment and I've wanted to host a game; HOWEVER, I have had the worst of luck in getting games off the ground (as a lot of you most likely know already). Thus, I wish to post a little poll as to what kind of game you guys wish to play where I GM. Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

CAMPAIGN STYLE
1) One Shot: Never tried one before, but it is worth a try for me.

2) Normal Campaign: Few adventures and roleplaying.

CAMPAIGN TONE
1) Light: Very humorous and light-hearted.

2) Grey: Balance of Light and Dark.

3) Black: Dark, Gritty, Bloody, Gory... etc.

CAMPAIGN SETTING
1) Capes: Basic superhero adventures.

2) Fantasy: Either Classic with Faries, Goblins, and Magic, or Sci-Fi with laser guns, spaceships, and the like.

3) Historical: A game based on certain events in History, like the American Civil War and World War 2.

4) Horror: More Mystery and Investigation, but definitely filled with terror. (If this setting gets chosen, then the Campaign Tone will automatically be Black.)

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

mrdent12
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Player's Pick (Interest)

Postby mrdent12 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:19 am

Style wise right now I would go for a campaign, but one shots can also be fun to play around with a few concepts I have been batting around. Tone wise, I tend to have more fun with grey and black and tend to favor a darker grey game. Setting wise, I am open to most except all out cape stuff unless it is a one shot. It really depends on the game premise. I can't resist paragon type games, enjoy some historical/horror, and don't have much fun playing superman type games.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 am

campaign: as Mrdent stated, one shots can be fun to play around with, but most people seem to prefer normal (As I myself do)
Tone: Any, Though if pressed I'm most comfortable with grey.
Setting: Well, I always enjoy a good super-hero game, but If you're willing, something different could be fun too. Fantasy (classic/magical) would be my first choice, as I've a couple concepts I've been wanting to try that would best fit with a fantasy game.

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:57 am

After some thinking i'm going to say 2) for all.

Although i'd be up for classic supers, or dare i'd say a superpowered fantasy.
    Insert witty comment here.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:05 am

One I would love to run would be a heist-style game. The characters play non-evil villains (you know, the sort out for kicks and/or money who try to avoid killing people or excessive property destruction) and the run-up involves us trying to ascertain the schedules of the guards and the local superhero team, then looking over the blueprints of the bank or whatever to figure out the best way to hit it. Some scenarios will wind up going as planned (particularly if the players come up with a good plan), but others will run into complications ranging from the place being more well-secured than expected (turns out they're keeping the Philosopher's Stone in Vault 713) to some of the hostages being superheroes in their civilian guise to the superheroes getting there faster than expected (tipped off or just lucky), forcing the team to hit up contingency plans and modify the plan on the fly. You'd probably have to hit the "non-evil" aspect pretty hard to avoid the usual problems with supervillain games where it's all backstabbing and/or one person deciding they're going to repaint the walls in hostage blood, but it would be nice to play the antisocial sort who isn't afraid to mix it up, but is trying to avoid getting too much attention.

I'll admit that I'm partly being influenced by the Worm novel which is set in a universe where superpowers generally happen from a "trigger event" involving extreme peril and/or emotions, which seems more likely to trigger during negative emotions, which means there are more villains than heroes. Additionally, there are some potentially world-ending events in play which often require everyone to band together to fight the good fight. Long story short, minor villainy typically only gets a proportionate response and as long as you stay within the "rules" and avoid killing hostages or causing massive damage (as well as not going after family or trying to ferret out "secret identities", the superheroes avoid coming down on you like a hammer from the Gods.

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Postby The Kryptonian » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:I'll admit that I'm partly being influenced by the Worm novel which is set in a universe where superpowers generally happen from a "trigger event" involving extreme peril and/or emotions, which seems more likely to trigger during negative emotions, which means there are more villains than heroes. Additionally, there are some potentially world-ending events in play which often require everyone to band together to fight the good fight. Long story short, minor villainy typically only gets a proportionate response and as long as you stay within the "rules" and avoid killing hostages or causing massive damage (as well as not going after family or trying to ferret out "secret identities", the superheroes avoid coming down on you like a hammer from the Gods.

As someone who has followed the Worm series for a long time, I would be very interested in the above style game!
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 am

In terms of length, let's try a 'Pilot Episode'. That is a one-shot where we get the team together to combat a larger threat and see whether or not the chemistry exists for some good reactions. Because if it does, then we can go into a larger campaign without the pressure of needing to make the story last longer.

As for tone, I'd actually prefer Light. There's plenty of Dark and plenty of Grey, but not so much of the others. But when I say light, I mean less Superfriends and more like Spiderman's earlier stuff. More bad guys knocking over banks, running protection rackets, and stealing items of great value then anything else.

Setting...I kind of like the idea of a WW2 setting, but less overseas, and more ensuring that the criminal element in the United States won't overwhelm a stretched thin and highly distracted population.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 pm

After seeing all of these ideas, they all sound pretty interesting. Already, I can think of something combined of everybody's ideas. Here's a brief idea:

It is the late Depression Era of the United States. Many have lost money due to the Stock Market crashing in late October 1929 (I remember that because the previous year, Walt Disney released his first cartoon, "Steamboat Willy" starring Mickey Mouse). Many have attempted suicide, but not everybody died. Few who have tried to commit suicide have received super powers of some sort. Some used their powers to help those who have lost everything, from homes and warm beds to the clothes on each person's back (in some cases); however, others have used their powers to either leave America for some better life or used them for enriching their personal lives.

In New York, there is a large shipment from overseas that carries some items. Some objects are of no value; however, some are so priceless, that soldiers from overseas are protecting it while in the USA. You are few who have lost EVERYTHING due to the Stock Market crash who have somehow caught on that this same shipment is coming in to port. You all discover that you have a common goal and decide to work together to better your monetary condition in the Depression Era.

How does this sound?

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:03 pm

I'll pass, got no interest in that era.
    Insert witty comment here.

Atmo
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Atmo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:03 pm

1 2 2.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Ooh... I'd be up for it. Golden Age shenanigans as petty crooks? If so, I'd actually recommend toning down the PL, as most heroes of the time were a bit stronger than the crooks, but not that much, with many being "two fisted masked heroes" who had little more than a disguise and a reckless disregard for danger.

mrdent12
Overlord
Overlord

Postby mrdent12 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Formerly people with money turned people with powers sounds like a blast. A depression era world with super powers is something I would go in for.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:35 pm

Plan B wrote:I'll pass, got no interest in that era.

Ditto.
have fun guys, it sounds really fun aside from the time frame.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 am

Hmm...wait!

A man posed on the edge of a rooftop decides not to go through it, even after losing everything, turns and slips off by accident. The four story plummet finds him coming to a sudden and abrupt stop.

Six inches off the ground. Hovering in mid-air.

Capable of soaring through the air at subsonic speeds, Flight 8, this extraordinary individual lives mankind's oldest dream each and every day, but will his aerial adventures see him plummet to his doom like Icarus?

Note: In all seriousness, I like the idea of Flight as being my guy's one and only power. Probably a fairly even balance of Offense and Defense. That being said, I see his base accuracy as reaching PL caps, but he'll have ranks in the Combat Skills, probably for Unarmed and Throwing.

At the moment I'm considering a flying animal theme.

Maybe the Eastern Bluebird, which is New York's state bird.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Postby The Kryptonian » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Came across this a while back and this concept made me remember it ...

... Depression Era Bat Man ...
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

Return to “M&M Game Room”