Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Re: A game for the new year

Post by The Kryptonian » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 am

Now what I have read of the Cancerverse was pretty nasty, I don't even see how the everyday citizenry would get by on a day to day basis. While I am not adverse to horror themes in a super hero game, I do prefer a little lightness, optimism or hope to gleam through. It's a little difficult to see how PL 10 characters could make a difference in something like the Cancerverse, where the oppressors are PL 15+ cosmic scale horrors.

Now, I don't mind some horror background or themes, as I said. Like in Invincible, he's a teenage paragon, but when he discovers the truth about his heritage, he sees his Viltrumite aggression issues and tries hard to overcome them.

That being said, I may be interested in trying to play some sort of paragon with perhaps an Apokalyptian background, heritage or origin, like the aforementioned Invincible, he may not even be aware of it at first due to Desaad's conditioning or something like that.

Still interested in seeing some more of the campaign concept though, but interested!
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Re: A game for the new year

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Ok, there seems to be a slight misunderstanding here...I scrapped the "transported to a parallel universe" part. Much of the fight will take place in this universe.

Since I have spent a good portion of the workday thinking about what exactly I want to run, I will put up an opening post right now. Go check it out.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (3e Recruiting/Interest)

Post by XeroKhan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Interested.

I think my idea for Ghost Rider would work best for this. I mean, I can think of a whole "Hell" amalgamation due to the DCU/MU combo. Any thoughts?

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:36 pm

What was your idea for Ghost Rider again?

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Post by XeroKhan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Give me a little bit to do some research on each universes versions of Hell and I will get back to you in a PM if it is alright.

Common Terms I will use:

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Of course.

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Walking Dad » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm interested and would like to play something Martian - like (surprise :!: :?: )

Martian Lad PL10 (Till'all)

STR 2/14*, STA 10, AGL 0, DEX 0, FGT 1, INT 1, AWE 3, PRE 0

Powers:
Martian Durability: Immunity 13 (Aging, Critical Hits, Life Support), Protection 2 • 15 points
Natural Telepath: Senses 2 (Mental Awareness, Radius) • 2 points
Mental Shields: Immunity Mental effects (half) • 3 points
Team Telepathy: Supersenses 1 (communication link), Variable 1 (limited to give team members a communication link) • 6 points
Martian Senses: Super-Senses 7 (Extended Vision 2, Darkvision, Vision Penetrates Concealment) • 7 points
Shapeshifting: Variable 2 (assumed forms), Free Action • 18 points
• Camouflage: Visual Concealment 4, precise • 1 point
Phasing: Movement 2 (Permeate 2), Benefit: May Dodge/Parry attacks without moving • 5 points
Multilingual: Comprehend 3 (all languages, speak, read, write, Quirk: needs some time to get familiar with them) • 5 points

Martian Array: Dynamic Array • 26 points (35 total)
• Density: Enhanced Strength 12, Sustained • 1 point
• Mobility: Flight 12, Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) • 2 point
• Telepathy: Mind Reading 10 (Distracting), Communication 4 (Mental, Worldwide) • 2 points
• Martian Vision: Ranged Damage 8 (accurate 6) • 2 points
• Mental Attack: Affliction 8 (Perception, resisted by will, impaired/stunned/mental transformation) • 2 points

Advantages: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Improved Initiative 2, Luck 2, Move by Attack, Power Attack

Skills: Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+6), Deception 8 (+8), Insight 2 (+5), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 7 (+10), Stealth 4 (+4), Technology 2 (+3), Vehicles 2 (+2)

Offenses:
Initiative +8
Martian Vision +12, Ranged, Damage 8
Unarmed +6, Close, Damage 2/14
Mental Attack -, Perception, Affliction Will DC 18

Defenses: Dodge 8, Parry 8, Will 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12

Power Points: Abilities 34 + Powers 97 + Advantages 8 + Skills 17 + Defenses 22 = 180

Complications
Motivation (Acceptance): Both to the public, as a new hero and to those who know his true nature, as a sample that not all White Martians are savage, power-mad and bloodthirsty.
Reputation: He is a member of the White Martians. Those who know of the White Martians consider them savage, power-mad and bloodthirsty.
Phobia: Afraid of flames.

Background:
Till'all was one of at least ten White Martian refugees who crash landed on Earth several years ago (due in large part to the machinations of the Green Martian, Cay'an). Like the others, Till'all believed that he was actually of the Green Martian race.
Till'all and his father, Mica'kel, were rescued from captivity by J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter. J'onzz provided them with a safe house at the abandoned Middleton Estates in Pennsylvania. Till'all was the youngest of the surviving group and was the least embittered by their trials. Till'all attempted to mingle with human society, but as his powers had yet to fully return to him, he accidentally allowed two humans to see his Green Martian form.
Shortly thereafter, Till'all's memories began to return to him and he reverted to his original White Martian appearance. When he learned about the accidental death of his father, Till'all went berserk, blaming J'onzz for his father's demise. After a brief struggle, J'onn managed to calm him down and pledged that he would help keep Till'all safe.
Till'all trained with his adopted uncle J'onn and later with his adopted cousin, Miss Martian. Being more introverted than her, he decided to not join a team or go public at all. Like J'onzz humble beginnings, he decided to act in secret, using his natural ability to become invisible. He tried to avoid the centers of Superhuman population and worked most often in the Southern Hemisphere. He later adopted a variety of superhuman identities, the best known being the Dreamtime Spirit in Australia
Last edited by Walking Dad on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Post by XeroKhan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Alright, this Ghost Rider was from an older game that sadly closed. This build was helped built by not only Jemal, but a few others that I do not remember. Here is the build, but the BIO will come up since the game was based on Marvel's Movieverse. Would this work?
Johnny Blaze
a.k.a. "Ghost Rider"

BIO:

PL 10
PP 180/180

====================================================================================

STR 0
STA 2/ --
AGL 3
DEX 5
FGT 5
INT 0
AWE 3
PRE 3

===================================================================================={46pp}
SKILLS 42

Close (Unarmed) 9+5 =14
(Chain) 9+5 =14
Expertise (Dare Devil) 6+0 =6
(Mechanic) 6+0 =6
Insight 6+3 =9
Intimidation 6+3 =9
Perception 6+3 =9
Persuasion 4+4 =8
Ranged (Shotgun) 10+5 =15
Stealth 6+3 =9
Technology 6+0(+6 Mechanic) =6 (or 12 from Mechanic)
Vehicles 10+5 =15

===================================================================================={22pp}
ADVANTAGES

Benefit (Famed Dare Devil)
Defensive Roll 6
Fast Grab
Fearless
Improved Hold
Luck 4
Move-by Action
Second Chance (Vehicles)
Seize Initiative
Skill Mastery (Vehicles)
Startle
Takedown

~~EQUIPMENT 2~~[1ep left]

Others {2ep}
>Cellphone
>Multitool

Leather Jacket {1ep}
>Protection 1

[Chain] (6ep)
>Damage 2
=Improved Grab
=Improved Trip
=Reach 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--------------------------------------------------------------{46pp}
(Ghost Rider Form)
>Requires a Standard Action< {-2pp}

[Spirit of Vengeance Body] {41pp}
Damage 1
. . . >STR Based
. . . +Linked: Enhanced STR 10 (25 tons; Limited to Lifting)

Enhanced Advantages 2
. . . Diehard
. . . Improved Initiative

Immunity 35
. . . >Fort Effects
. . . >Cold Damage
. . . >1/2 Damage from Slashing and Piercing

Protection 3

[Sin Detection & Penance Stare]{7pp}
Senses 2
>(Mental) Acute Analytical Detection of Sin (@ Range)
=A.E.: Affliction 10
. . . . . . >Will DC 20; Entranced to Defenseless to Incapacitated
. . . . . . -Grab Based
. . . . . . -Limited: Effectiveness based on Sin
. . . . . . +Linked: Weaken Toughness 10
. . . . . . +Progressive
. . . . . . -Sense Dependant: Requires Eye Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------
(Hellcycle)
>Easily Removable< {3pp}

Feature 1 {1pp}
>Auto Pilot

Movement 3 {3pp}
>Wall Crawling 2
>Water Walking
-Limited to Hellcycle

Speed 6 {6pp}

--------------------------------------------------------------
(Shotgun)
>Easily Removable< {6pp}

Damage 5
=Feature 1
. . . >Accurate 1 due to spread
+Linked: Weaken Toughness 5
. . . . . . -Limited only when Ghost Rider Form uses it
+Ranged
-Limited to Damage 3 against Protection

===========================================================================================
OFFENSE

Initiative: NORMAL: +3
GHOST: +7

Unarmed +14 [NORMAL: DC 15]
[GHOST: DC 16]
Chain +14 [DC 17; Improved Grab, Improved Trip, 10ft. Range]
Shotgun +15 [DC 20]

===========================================================================================
DEFENSE

Fort: NORMAL: 8+2
GHOST: ----
Will: 7+3

Dodge 7+3
Parry 5+5
Tough:
. . . NORMAL: +2 (+6 Defensive Roll)[+1 Leather Jacket]
. . . GHOST: -- (+6 Defensive Roll)[+1 Leather Jacket]{+3 Protection}
====================================================================================
COMPLICATIONS:

1) "The Contract of Mephistopheles": Johnny "signed" this contract to cure his father's
lung cancer, only for him to die later that day in a stunt accident. This contract was
what made Johnny into the latest "Ghost Rider."

2) Arch-Enemy: Mephistopheles: Johnny blames Mephistopheles for the death of his
father, thus his hatred.

3) Fame: Stunt Motorcyclist: Johnny is a well-known Stunt Motorcyclist.

4) Quirk: Drinks A LOT of water after returning to normal

5) Ex-Angel of Justice: The "Ghost Rider Spirit" was once Zarathos, the Angel
of Justice. There is a small portion of Zarathos inside "Ghost Rider," but is mostly
engulfed in the "Flames of Vengeance"

Common Terms I will use:

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Yes, it would. Nice builds, both of you.

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Post by The Kryptonian » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey Xero,

Just checking over your build, and noticed that your points seem to be off ...
Immunity 35
. . . >Fort Effects
. . . >Cold Damage
Immunity to Fortitude is 30 points, Cold Damage is 5 Points, Slashing & Piercing are both 20 Point Immunities with half effect on each for a total Immunity cost of 55.

Also the cleanest way I have seen someone represent the summoned hellfire cycle is ...

Flight 6, Platform (-1/R), Activation: Move Action (-1), Quirk: Must end movement on solid ground (-1) for a total of 4 points, and gives you wicked jump the canyon ability while still letting you ride up the side of walls, upside down in tunnels, etc etc etc ...
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Insurgent Phoenix » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:09 pm

What does everyone think about a Magnificent Brute knockoff? Too limited?

Mechmaster
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by Mechmaster » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Depending on whether or not I have the time, I'd like to submit a character.
Basically its a Magic Speedster Robot names Magi Unit #12.
Reference picture:
http://1dut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011 ... ts-251.jpg

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Post by The Kryptonian » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:01 pm

A couple thoughts came to my head ...

A mash up of Cloak & Batman ... Jean Grey, Daughter of Darkseid, the heroes couldn't kill her, so they let Xavier mind wipe her and implant a false childhood ... or a similar story with a more paragon type hero, his past & legacy hidden from him ...

If any of those work better for you, let me know ;)

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 pm

The Kryptonian wrote:A couple thoughts came to my head ...

A mash up of Cloak & Batman ... Jean Grey, Daughter of Darkseid, the heroes couldn't kill her, so they let Xavier mind wipe her and implant a false childhood ... or a similar story with a more paragon type hero, his past & legacy hidden from him ...

If any of those work better for you, let me know ;)
They all sound interesting to me so go ahead with whatever you like.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:36 pm

The Kryptonian wrote:Hey Xero,

Just checking over your build, and noticed that your points seem to be off ...
Immunity 35
. . . >Fort Effects
. . . >Cold Damage
Immunity to Fortitude is 30 points, Cold Damage is 5 Points, Slashing & Piercing are both 20 Point Immunities with half effect on each for a total Immunity cost of 55.

Also the cleanest way I have seen someone represent the summoned hellfire cycle is ...

Flight 6, Platform (-1/R), Activation: Move Action (-1), Quirk: Must end movement on solid ground (-1) for a total of 4 points, and gives you wicked jump the canyon ability while still letting you ride up the side of walls, upside down in tunnels, etc etc etc ...
Correct...also, should the chain not be a part of the power set instead of being equipment?

Also, the penance stare...the point cost you allocated is too low. If you have an affliction 10 as an alternate effect for your penance stare, your primary effect cannot be just 7 points. Even more so if you link it to weaken toughness, which means that it's at least 20 points worth.