Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (3e Recruiting One)

Postby XeroKhan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Whoops, by bad about Wiccan, and it is ranged. So much for that. K(

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Are you still recruiting ? I had something posted originally for this game I reckon.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:17 pm

I think we could easily accomodate one other, so yeah, pitch something.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Martyr - PL 11

Strength 7, Stamina 6, Agility 4, Dexterity 3, Fighting 10, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 1, Improved Critical 3(1 base): Swords, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2

Skills
Expertise: Cosmic Lore 6 (+6), Intimidation 9 (+9), Perception 3 (+5), Ranged Combat: Energy Blasts 5 (+8), Technology 1 (+1)

Powers
Energy Sponge: Blast 10 (DC 25; Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Energy Used Against Her; Fades)
. . Energy Absorption: Immunity 20 (Alternate; Very Common Descriptor: Energy; Subtle 2: undetectable; Limited - Half Effect)

Flight: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
. . Energized Flight: Flight 12 (Alternate; Speed: 8000 miles/hour, 16 miles/round; Distracting)

Mantle of Death (Removable)
. . Sustenance: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
. . Translator: Comprehend 2 (Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All)

Oblivion Sword (Easily Removable (indestructible))
. . Ending Slash: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 25; Penetrating 10, Reach (melee): 5 ft., Secondary Effect [7 extra ranks]), Advantage: Improved Smash
. . . . Drain Life: Progressive Weaken 8 (Alternate; Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Accurate: +2, Progressive)
. . Weapon of Death: Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Improved Critical 3 +2 (+3))

Equipment
Guardian Uniform [Armoring: Protection 5, +5 Toughness]

Offense
Initiative +8
Drain Life: Progressive Weaken 8, +14 (DC Will 18)
Ending Slash: Strength-based Damage 3, +12 (DC 25)
Energy Sponge: Blast 10, +12 (DC 25)
Grab, +12 (DC Spec 17)
Throw, +7 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 22)

Complications
Dark Temper: The power of Death has only worsened Phyla's outlook on life and she can be easily angered by those who get in her way. While she struggles to continue her mission to help the universe as a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, she has found herself being too quick to destroy.
Legacy: Daughter of Mar-Vell: As the daughter of the Kree hero Mar-Vell, Phyla has a lot to live up to.
Relationship: Death of the Endless: After her lover Moondragon was seemingly killed in battle, Phyla undertook a quest to return her from the after-life. In the course of this impossible task, Phyla encountered a strange woman with pale white skin and midnight black hair. After accompanying Phyla on her ultimately fruitless quest, the strange woman helped Phyla to come to terms with the loss. Only then did the woman reveal herself to be a psychopomp of Death itself. Phyla's new role puts a strain on the relationship but Phyla considers this version of Death to be a true friend (and perhaps more though Death's infuriatingly chipper attitude makes it difficult to gauge the psychopomp's feelings).
Secret: Empowered by Darkseid: Phyla owes her life to the lord of Apokolips after he saved her from the Magus and gave her the Oblivion Sword she bears. Those familiar with Apokoliptian technology may recognize that her Mantle is technology from that planet. While Darkseid has seemingly been defeated, it may only be a matter of time before he calls in the debt...

Languages
Kree

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 11, Toughness 12/6, Will 11

Power Points
Abilities 64 + Powers 54 + Advantages 15 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 165

Background: Phyla Vell is the daughter of the legendary Kree (and Earth hero) Captain Mar-Vell. Created after her father's death through an artificial process, Phyla only knew him as a legend and grew up to emulate his example. She trained extensively in combat, honing her inherited abilities to absorb and channel energy. When the Annihilation Wave threatened the entire positive matter universe, Phyla joined Nova, Star Lord, and other heroes to fight off the Negative Zone invaders. During the conflict, she took possession of the Quantum Blade, a powerful weapon sharing many qualities with the heroic Quasar's quantum bands. Following Annihilus's defeat, she joined Star Lord in the newly formed Guardians of the Galaxy alongside her lover Moondragon. She helped the Guardians battle the Church of Universal Truth (a fight that would cost Moondragon her life) and was instrumental in ending the Phalanx incursion led by Ultron. But it was betrayal from a close ally that would bring Phyla Vell to Death. The Magus, dark side of Adam Warlock, took possession of Phyla's own Quantum Sword and ran her through before casting her into the dimensional void. Desperate to survive and take her revenge, she called out for help. Unfortunately, she was answered. The evil god Darkseid healed her and changed her into an aspect of Death itself. The Lord of Apokolips would give no answer for why he granted these gifts, only a sinister smile and a dismissive blast of Omega energy returning her to Knowhere. Now armed with the dark Oblivion Sword, she took the name Martyr and rejoined the Guardians to defend the universe. Ironically, she would fight against her own benefactor when he was seemingly defeated by the combined power of the galaxy's heroes.

But now, the incursion of the Many-angled Ones has drawn the Martyr to Earth...
Last edited by The_Watchman on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey look it's second gen me.

At first glance,
Guardian Uniform [Armoring: Protection 6, +6 Toughness; Knowhere Transporter: Burst Area Movement 3, Space Travel 3: other galaxies; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Selective; Oxygen Supply: Immunity 2, Environmental Condition: Space, Suffocation: Vaccuum]
seems inappropriate as Equipment.. Equipment is supposed to be common items available to basically everybody, not space armour that allows intergalactic teleportation. That's what Devices (Removable powers) are for.
Last edited by jemal on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:41 pm

jemal wrote:Hey look it's second gen me.

;) I deliberately left out the whole "being Quasar for a while" thing as I wasn't sure if Quasar ever died in this continuity. I mean, much as I love Phyla, her use of the Quantum Bands never seemed to go far beyond "make a cool sword." Plus, Martyr just looks awesome...
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm

was editing in a bit about the equipment while you were posting. didn't see you were online. :P

And yeah, I left Quasars backstory a bit vague, but I'm going more with 'early' quasar - Never died, never became an energy being, etc. Just good old 'quantum band protector of the universe' era quasar.

And yes, Martyr w/sword does look cool.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:54 pm

jemal wrote:At first glance,
Guardian Uniform [Armoring: Protection 6, +6 Toughness; Knowhere Transporter: Burst Area Movement 3, Space Travel 3: other galaxies; Burst Area: 30 feet radius sphere, Selective; Oxygen Supply: Immunity 2, Environmental Condition: Space, Suffocation: Vaccuum]
seems inappropriate as Equipment.. Equipment is supposed to be common items available to basically everybody, not space armour that allows intergalactic teleportation. That's what Devices (Removable powers) are for.

Fair point. Honestly, that stuff was meant more a "how she got to Earth" but in hindsight, a one way beam from Knowhere accomplishes all that. The comm link is off the build from the roll call build (after I got over the genuine shock that Martyr of all people had a build) that I used for her main stats (with some padding to get her up to 165 points) but works just as easily as a translator Device. So adjusted that stuff. Equipment is now just the armoring from her costume (it's one more point of protection than a bulletproof vest, which seems well within the range of basic equipment).
Builds

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Name: Mnut Nin Height 1,8 mts
Skin: Blue Weight 170 kg
Hair: Black Shape Atlantean
Eyes: Black Age: 44 years
Bio: Mnut was a deep(marvel) atlantean with an unormal connection to the water element. Most atlanteans could bend water to do their bidding. Mnut could control it like an extension of his body.
In reality, he was an interbreed among both atlantean people, conceived in secrecy.
He pledged loyalty to his lord Atuma, but the atrocities he'd have to commit to remain loyal to Atuma were just too big. He escaped and joined the Atlanteans from the upper seas, commanded by king Aquaman. It was hard to fit in, and it's always a cause of trust issues giving his appearance and the reputation of his people, however Mnut was trusted by Aquaman to remain a guardian of the seas.
Perhaps being raised by deep Atlanteans has left a mark on Mnut that will never go away completely, and that often surfaces when Mnut is angry of exposed to distressful situations, but generally, he has kept it under control. Aqualad has seen his outbursts and grew weary of their new ally.
After the Rift was discovered, Aquaman called Mnut to assist to a royal strategy meeting...

Complications
Temper : Stressful situations bring out the worst of Mnut
Reputation : Beeing a Deep Atlantean in appearance has given him bad reputation
Fish outside of the water : The surface is an even harsher world to fit in

Abilities ( 106 pp)
Strength 10 , Stamina 10 , Agility 10 , Dexterity 0 , Fighting 10 , Intellect 3 , Awareness 10 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 30 pp)
- Bend water ( Element control 10 : Water ) · 20 point/s
- Water bubble ( AP: Affliction : Perception area. 1: Hindered 2: Immobile 3: Paralyzed, Resisted by fort. · 1 point/s
- Dehydrate ( AP: Affliction : Extra condition 1: Vulnerable and Dazed 2: Defenseless and stunned, 3: Incapacitated and Paralyzed, resisted by fort. Linked (Unnarmed attack) ) · 1 point/s
- Arctic Flood ( AP: Environment : Impede movement 2 ranks, Visibility -5, Cold. · 1 point/s
- Water eye ( AP: Sense : Detect water. Accurate, Counters all concealment, Distance sense, Extended 2, Radius. Senses water bodies of more than 5 lts ) · 1 point/s
- Tidal wave ( AP: Damage : Cone area) · 1 point/s

- Gills ( Immunity : Drowning ) · 1 point/s

- Atlantean feet ( Swimming : 0 ) · 4 point/s

Advantages ( 16 pp)
All out attack 1 , Chokehold 1 , Diehard 1 , Improved aim 1 , Fastgrab 1 , Evasion 2 , Favoured environment (Underwater) 1 , Imp. Grab 1 , Move by action 1 , Imp. Hold 1 , Imp. Initiative 1 , Power attack 1 , Precise attack (Ranged, cover concealm) 2 , Trance 1.

Skills ( 28 pp)
Acrobatics 10 (+ 20 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 6 (+ 16 ), Expertise( warfare) 10 (+ 13 ), Insight 10 (+ 20 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Close (unarmed) 0 (+ 10 ), Ranged combat (Throw) 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 10 (+ 20 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Stealth 10 (+ 20 ).

Offence
Initiative: 14
Tidal wave Area Attack for DC: 23 Range: Ranged
Dehydrate +10 Attack for DC: 18 Range: Melee
Water bubble Area Attack for DC: 18 Range: Melee area
Grab + 10 Attack for DC: 10 Range: Melee
Unnarmed + 10 Attack for DC: 25 Range: Melee ( Applies Grab and Dehydrate )
Throw + 0 Attack for DC: 25 Range: Ranged

Defence ( 0 pp)
Parry: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Dodge: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Toughness: Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Fortitude: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Will: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Last edited by Evolución on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Well if you wanna explain how she got to earth, you could say she was at the meeting to begin with. I'm sure Q would've picked her up with his teleport (Or someone else).. GM did say there were LOTS of heroes already here.
Now for the rest of the build:
The_Watchman wrote:Energy Sponge: Blast 10 (DC 25; Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Energy Used Against Her; Fades)
. . Energy Absorption: Immunity 20 (Alternate; Very Common Descriptor: Energy; Subtle 2: undetectable; Limited - Half Effect)

I like the concept behind this: Absorb energy then use it against foes, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it. Mainly b/c you'll loose your immunity on any turn you use blast since they're alternate effects.
Also, I pesume the Aesthetic you're going for is Absorb energy to refuel the blast, but with the Fades you can still only 'recharge' out of combat or by using a HP.
and I'm not sure why the Subtle 2 on the immunity?

Flight: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)

If you can find a point to spare, may I suggest doing what I did and adding an alternate effect to your flight that doubles it's rank at the cost of making it distracting? It showcases the cosmic 'burst of flight speed at the cost of manueverability' very well, IMO

Martyr Sword (Easily Removable (indestructible))
. . Ending Slash: Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 25; Penetrating 10, Precise, Reach (melee): 5 ft., Reversible, Secondary Effect [7 extra ranks])
. . . . Drain Life: Progressive Weaken 8 (Alternate; Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Accurate: +2, Progressive, Reach (melee): 5 ft.)

so I'm counting 26 pp each for slash and drain life, is that what you got?
. . Weapon of Death: Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Improved Critical 3 +2 (+3))
so first off,
This confuses me.. what does 3 + 2 (+3) mean? You have 3 ranks of imp crit base, and +2 from this trait, but I'm not sure what the (+3) afterwards is for..
Also imp crit has a max of 4 ranks.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Had to switch to phone as the laptop has been claimed. So I'll answer by number instead of trying to quote correctly.

1) That is what I'm going for. I'm not sure on a better method within my available points so basically a positive/negative thing. On a given round she's either outputting energy or absorb it. She takes a bit of a time to "process" the energy she absorbs so it won't take effect until the Faded levels come back. Impervious Toughness limited to Energy might work instead. Not sure. Subtle is a "oh you thought that energy hurt me? Sorry to break it to you but..." Also, struggled to balance the points and it seemed as fitting as anything else I could think of.

2) I love the flight idea and will definitely use it.

3) Yes, 26 for each of the sword attacks. I didn't think to check if there were unused device points. Probably some Improved Initiative or the like. Weapon of Death enhances her existing Imp Critical up to 3 from 1. The math is just herolabs weird output.
Builds

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Evolución wrote: Powers ( 30 pp)
- Bend water ( Element control 10 : Water ) · 20 point/s

I assume this is move object, perception range, limited: Water?

- Dehydrate ( AP: Affliction : Perception area, Limited degree, Extra condition 1: Vulnerable and Dazed 2: Defenseless and stunned, resisted by fort. Linked (Unnarmed attack) ) · 1 point/s

First:
Why Perception Area? Which sense is this affecting?
Or is it Perception Ranged, AND Area?
They're very different things:
-Perception area is an attack that's based off of being perceived (Such as a sound burst based on hearing, or a Flash attack based off sight, etc), and it changes the dodge check to be all or nothing rather than save for half effect.
-Perception Ranged + Area is more costly, it still uses the regular area size (burst, cone, etc), allowing you to place the area anywhere you can perceive, and removes the dodge check altogether. Anyone within the area is just auto-hit and makes the effect save.

Second:
Keep in mind that if this is linked to your unarmed attack you won't be Able to use Unarmed attack when you're on another part of the array. (Linked effects can ONLY be used together, anything that prevents you from using one (such as not having it available on your array) prevents you from using both.
Linked effects as part of an array are usually reserved for linking the ARRAY itself to an attack, for a variety of special secondary effects.

Third: For attacks to be linked, they need to have the same range. If you want to link something to your unarmed strike, it has to be close range.

This attack is a bit strange as is : You punch someone and this activates an effect that either:
A) Drains the water from everyone who can see you
or
B) Drains the water from everyone within 30'(Assuming burst) of a point in space you can see.

It would make a lot more sense to just have the dehydrate be a close range affliction linked to unarmed (You grab someone and dehydrate them),
EX: Dehydrate: Affliction 10 (Close, Extra Condition): Vulnerable & Dazed; Defenseless & Stunned;Incapacitated. Resisted by fort Linked: Unarmed attack

though it still would have the Linked problem.

- Water eye ( AP: Sense : Accurate, Counters all concealment, Distance sense, Extended 2, Radius. Senses water bodies of more than 5 lts ) · 1 point/s

I presume the base sense is something like 'detect water'?

- Water bubble ( AP: Affliction : Perception area. 1: Hindered 2: Immobile 3: Paralyzed, Resisted by fort. Linked (Tidal wave) ) · 1 point/s
- Arctic Flood ( AP: Environment : Impede movement 2 ranks, Visibility -5, Cold. Linked (Tidal wave) ) · 1 point/s
- Tidal wave ( AP: Damage : Cone area, Linked (Arctic flood and Water bubble)) · 1 point/s

Alternate powers can not be linked to each other since by definition they cannot be used at the same time. Also, for Water Bubble, see my perception area comment on Dehydrate.

Advantages ( 16 pp)
All out attack 1 , Chokehold 1 , Diehard 1 , Improved aim 1 , Fastgrab 1 , Evasion 2 , Favoured environment (Cold) 1 , Imp. Grab 1 , Move by action 1 , Imp. Hold 1 , Imp. Initiative 1 , Power attack 1 , Precise attack (Ranged, cover concealm) 2 , Trance 1.

It's the GM's call, but the example favoured environments list 'EXTREME heat or cold'.. regular 'cold' is too common, so the benefit would only apply in areas like 'arctic winter storms'

Skills ( 28 pp)
Acrobatics 10 (+ 20 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 6 (+ 16 ), Expertise( Explosives ) 10 (+ 20 ), Insight 10 (+ 20 ), Treatment 0 (+ 3 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 0 (+ 3 ), Close (unarmed) 0 (+ 10 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Ranged combat (Throw) 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 10 (+ 20 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 3 ), Stealth 10 (+ 20 ).

Expertise is int based, so it should only be +13, and if it's meant to be +20.. why is he a legendary explosives master?
Also: Investigation, Treatment, Technology, and Sleight of Hand are trained only. Since you don't have jack of all trades listing them on her is pointless since you can't use them.

Defence ( 0 pp)
Parry: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Dodge: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Toughness: Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Fortitude: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10
Will: Rank ( 0 ) + Feat/power ( 0 ) + Equipment ( 0 )= 10

Amusingly you didn't even list where you DO get the bonus from each of them from (Abilities), you just list all the things that DON'T add..
Personally instead of all that I would've just listed "Parry: +10 from fighting = 10." etc, rather than listing all the zeros.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:40 pm

The_Watchman wrote:Had to switch to phone as the laptop has been claimed. So I'll answer by number instead of trying to quote correctly.

Sokay, I had to take a break from the comp as well. :P
1) That is what I'm going for. I'm not sure on a better method within my available points so basically a positive/negative thing. On a given round she's either outputting energy or absorb it. She takes a bit of a time to "process" the energy she absorbs so it won't take effect until the Faded levels come back. Impervious Toughness limited to Energy might work instead. Not sure. Subtle is a "oh you thought that energy hurt me? Sorry to break it to you but..." Also, struggled to balance the points and it seemed as fitting as anything else I could think of.

Hmm, the impervious toughness would be less useful. The way you're describing it is what it does now, so if that's what you want then it's fine.

3) Yes, 26 for each of the sword attacks. I didn't think to check if there were unused device points. Probably some Improved Initiative or the like. Weapon of Death enhances her existing Imp Critical up to 3 from 1. The math is just herolabs weird output.

Ah, so the 'imp crit 3: swords' in advantages is COUNTING the two from the device then?

As far as cost: 26p + 1 ap = 27p.
+2 enhanced imp crit= 29p, leaving you 1 extra to round out the 5.
You could just add the third imp crit to max out the crit range, and it would cost 30p - 12p easily removable +1p indestructible = 19pp.
(also note the indestructible is tacked on after, it doesn't come out of the 'given points' within the device.)

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:33 am

Updated Martyr's build.
Builds

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Sorry, RL concerns force me to pause my regular online gaming. I tried to keep it going, but it is unfair to keep you always waiting. Please accept my honest apology for leaving this game. Hopefully I will return someday to this board. It was an honor to game with you.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Return to “M&M Game Room”