Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (OOC)

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:48 pm

This will take place in a merged DCU/MU. Just assume the basics about each character remain the same, unless someone wants to do something new with them, merge two characters into one or similar stuff. I am open to it.

The Final Crisis is over. Darkseid, in a last-ditch attempt to save himself or at least drag the entire universe down with him into oblivion, tried to take over the world. But the would-be God of Evil was thwarted by an alliance of heroes and villains.

He was banished in the farthest corner of the multiverse, hopefully to never return.

The universe was restored with a miraculous machine and all seemed fine. Until now.

But now, the Hubble telescope has picked up a gigantic anomaly in space, merely a thousand lightyears away from the solar system. This Rift, an interdimensional wound in space and time, seems to lead to another universe. So far, it has done nothing except emit strange radiation that vexes instruments directed at it.
But the magically-attuned among the metahumans of Earth have sensed something - a malign presence slumbering in the universe beyond the rift, older than time itself - and hungry.

Despite warnings, a group of curious heroes set out to explore this rift. Today, they are supposed to return...and everyone wonders what they'll bring with them.
(No, the player characters are not those heroes. I left it vague who went on the mission so everyone can create the character they want)

PL 10, 180 pp, you are experienced heroes. Tradoffs are possible, with PL 9 195 pp and PL 11, 165 and PL 12 150 pp being possible. You can either play established Marvel or DC characters, create a merged version (think Amalgam) or create your own hero.

The cast

Jemal: Quasar
Walking Dad: Martian Lad
bombaatu: Iron Man
The Kryptonian: Hulk
Aerlwyn: Deathstroke
Shimizu: Batman
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:28 am, edited 6 times in total.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: A game for the new year

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 pm

2e? 3e?

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:18 pm

.....and, as for setting, I would love to play some Wild Cards, even if you've gone the 3e route.

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Freedom city, Marvel or Aberrant

Would interest me setting wise.
    Insert witty comment here.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Plan B wrote:Freedom city, Marvel or Aberrant

Would interest me setting wise.

Yeah, Marvel'd also be cool.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:30 pm

3e, in any case.

Hmmm..as for Marvel. I had an idea while reading Steelheart (if you know the book, if not, check it out)....

How about this...the characters are either established heroes or newcomers in the normal MU but are then transported to an alternate earth where, for some reason, all superheroes had been infected with a plague that turned them evil - anyone who had powers when it started (and genius-level intellects count as powers for the plague) was turned into either a madman, a tyrant or both.

The newly transported heroes would be forced to fight an uphill battle against their counterparts, maybe find ways to redeem them and discover the source of the plague.

Does that sound interesting or is it too far-off or too clicheed?

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Postby The Kryptonian » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:31 pm

I'd enjoy a Marvel game, been re-reading the Invincible TPB's so some four color paragon action would be pretty cool. Though you mentioned horror, or at least a horror influence, what direction were you thinking of going with that idea?
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Postby The Kryptonian » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Would it be a dystopian as Steelheart is when we get there? Would there already be established hero-states? Some heroes eliminated in civil wars and power struggles already? Neat concept, would let you explore the base values of some Marvel heroes ... also good book, interesting direction.
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Colour me, significantly less interested.
    Insert witty comment here.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:12 pm

It's not set in stone yet. If we go this route, there would be a few states run by former heroes, some better off, others less so.

As for horror, i enjoyed the cosmic horror stuff they did with the Cancerverse and I was wondering about maybe revisiting that place or the things that ruined that universe. Still love the idea of the Galactus Engine...;)

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Ahhhh, Marvel's Cancerverse. Gaming in a setting like that would be AWESOME.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:38 pm

This makes me think: how would the DC heroes and villains react to the Cancerverse? Certainly, that brings up a point of interest to me personally.

Anyway, I was waiting until some more posts were made until I make my post. Thus, if we go the Marvel route of things, I would make dibs on Ghost Rider. Of course, who would not have Mephisto in a Horror based game, as well as a skeletal ex-angel in a stunt rider?

BTW, Interested.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Hmmm: A DC version of the Cancerverse? That sounds AWESOME. Cthulhu meets Darkseid? Oh, hell, yes.

Insurgent Phoenix
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Insurgent Phoenix » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:08 pm

How does the idea of a Magnificent Brute-type sound? (For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, see Ultimate Fantastic Four.) I'm thinking he or she would an Inhuman (if Marvel) or a New God (if DC).

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:24 am

Sure thing...hmmm...DC Cancerverse...that's a good one...argh, you are making me doubt my original idea! ;)

Ok, since I am still in the "grab any idea that's feasible" phase, how about we scrap the dystopia stuff - and maybe I'll leave that for another game - and we start off in a merged DCU/MU and then do a variation of the Thanos Imperative/Cancerverse storyline ?
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “M&M Game Room”