Survival/Horror Directed Interactive Storytelling Discussion

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
jemal
Hero
Hero

Survival/Horror Directed Interactive Storytelling Discussion

Postby jemal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 am

I've been thinking of a zombie-style/survival/horror game lately, but with a kind of odd GMing/story-telling aspect. So, before I go into too many details of the game itself, I would like to get peoples interest/opinions on a proposed 'directed interactive storytelling'.

It would be using the core rules (Most likely 3e, but possibly 2e if there's more desire for that), and isn't a 'freeform' game. There would be a primary GM (Myself unless anybody else wants the job) who is the overall arbiter, devises certain long term plot points and important encounters, controls major NPCs, and mediates any disputes, but each 'player' would also have a greater role in developing the story.

There would be a large cast, mostly NPCs, but with each Player controlling a 'main character'.
Each Player, in addition to deciding their own characters actions, would be able to do things such as:

-Assume Control of NPCs that haven't been specifically claimed by another player or deemed 'off limits' by the GM (Major NPC's/villains, etc). For example: rolling reactions, deciding actions, choose dialogue (So you could have an entire conversation with an NPC, deciding for yourself how it turns out), etc.

-Introduce accidents/setbacks/zombie attacks whenever they feel like the game needs some spicing up - this will help introduce a random 'something terrible could happen at any minute' aspect to the game, and gives the players a more direct role in the world. Afterwards, if the 'event' was deemed to be entertaining/good for the story, the initiating 'temp gm' would gain bonus HP.

-Essentially use the 'edit scene' function of hero points for free (Provided that the other players and/or myself don't begin to feel like someone is misusing it).

I really feel that this more open approach would help to capture the feel of the long-term post apocalyptic survival style I'm hoping for, allowing for more in depth character development without having to wait for responses as often, and being able to take more initiative.

Now, as to the setting I have in mind:
To answer what is probably the biggest question on most of your minds: Yes, I am planning for super-powers, but I'm thinking more along the lines of "Alphas" than x-men. Less-impactful and Semi-realistic powers would be preferential to more outlandish powers, but if the general concensus swings the other way, that works too. Just remember any power you have is open to zombies as well, and they would be just intelligent enough to be able to use it... and who wants to deal with teleporting, mind controlling zombies?
-On the other hand, if there's a push towards 'no powers', and making it a more standard zombie survival game, I could go that way too - it would only require minor changes to the story I'm thinking of.

The basic background is that the majority of the world was infected by some sort of plague that caused devastating mutations - Most people affected died, only to return to a sort of 'undeath' as super-powered Zombies, with very limited intelligence and a hunger for humans. Some few lucky individuals managed to gain the powers while retaining their life and humanity, becoming the hope for the unlucky regular humans left over.

The game would be primarily about long-term survival and rebuilding, with an overarching subplot of trying to find out how this all happened.

SO, if there are any out there who think that that would be something you'd be interested in, I'd love to get your opinions/discussion.
*EDIT:
PS, this will more than likely be a 'Mature' game.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Re: Survival/Horror Directed Interactive Storytelling Discus

Postby jemal » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 am

*Post christmas Bump?*

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:15 pm

I like post apocalyptic games, and with my Fallout game dead I can dedicate time to such game as this, that seems to me draws more on players.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Interested. Possibly a special agent sent to investigate the situation. When it comes to zombie games, I prefer to have normal, unpowered characters; however, I will build a powered character if it swings that way.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Return to “M&M Game Room”