Putting feelers out

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Putting feelers out

Postby Hound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:32 am

Okay, so I currently have a real full plate GMing two very big games with lots of players and things to keep track of.

As such, I do not plan to GM another game anytime soon.

However I have been sitting on this idea for... ever. I tried to do it once before, but I didn't quite get what I was aiming for from the players. So I want to go into more depth, of my idea, and narrow the field a bit more and see if there is interest for either when I feel I can handle more, or a game of mine ends.

Legend of the 5 Rings

If you don't know it, it's a samurai/ninja feudal japan/china mash up, child. Basically in a land called Rokugan, a culture that is like the hybrid bastard child of Japan and China exists.

Though this game has fighting, it is mostly about political intrigue, solving mysteries, and social navigation. It's actually a lot like Game of Thrones. Only less Kinky sex thrown in your face.

I want the game to be about a small province within Rokugan. Recently their less than stellar salt mine struck gold. Literally. Almost over night, a lowly Lord of a barely profitable province is now one of the wealthiest. (of course everything actually belongs to the emperor, but he gets a cut for managing)

Not too long after that the Lord dies leaving a fledgling son, barely old enough to be considered a man in his place.

You are the Samurai, the (secret) ninja, or the advisers to this young lord, as other lords in the area look to... absorb your province into theirs. After all a province with out a Lord is up for free grab, and the Emperor would typically grant the lord-less province to a nearby lord...

I am thinking 3E, PL 4, maximum of 10pp's in the powers section. Typical powers would be... "Run like a Horse" Speed 1. "Leap like a Gazelle" Leap 1. No one with major super human powers.

Only the mystics would have something like "Fire ball" Ranged Damage 3(with a few alt powers)

Again combat would not be the focus. That's what the grunt soldiers you can order around are for...

Again this is just feelers. No interest or recruiting just yet.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Putting feelers out

Postby Laughingcrow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:44 am

One aspect of Rokugan that is very important is the immense pressure of honor, and the high price of faillure. The PCs would be juggling the needs of their master, their clan, the feudal lord, Rokugan as a whole, the emperor and so on...and if they are "obviously failing one or more important figures" then their whole house of cards comes down.

This story could easily come with three camps inside the feudal manor - those who protect the lord's interests, those who believe that one of the other lords is entitled to the land (by blood, by tradition, by association) and of course those who believe the emperor should step in before trouble arises - and he is a hard man to reach.

An interesting part could be if the lord is indeed dead, but the retainers (PCs) seek to make it seem like he's alive, keeping the household together long enough for the young lord to take over. That would make for some interesting scheming and dealing. (See Umineko no naka no koru ni, I think specifically Alliance of the Golden Witch, that has a similar premise)

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 am

Exactly Laughing cow

Exactly.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 am

I like the setting (well up to about the year 1000). Premise is solid enough.

My concern is the extremely low pl, we're not even standard mooks (they have weapons armour right).
    Insert witty comment here.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 am

Plan B wrote:I like the setting (well up to about the year 1000). Premise is solid enough.

My concern is the extremely low pl, we're not even standard mooks (they have weapons armour right).

Maybe PL 6, but again, last time, I got characters who were like 90% powers, which did not fit the setting.
My Characters

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:13 am

This is interesting, yes. Is it a Minor Clan or one of a Great Clan's lesser lesser lesser families?
Impeach the peach!

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:23 am

Wait, Oriental Adventures' Rokugan? Sweeet. Can we be Vanaran? :mrgreen: Vanaran Ninja!

I like LaughingCrow's idea of having to pretend the Lord is still alive. That, and the part of me intruiged by history is wondering whether it would be wise to become Ronin. I mean, suppose our lord is dead. That would make any warrior who served that lord a Ronin, right? But in order to preserve our lives and that of others, we would need to put on a charade, a deception. This could be juicy in terms of whether it would be honorable to deceive everyone, for as Ronin, we would not be allowed our weapons, our armor, our station, nor our honor lest we pledge ourselves to another Lord. And if no Lord would take us, then as Ronin we would be persecuted.

Though I do have to agree with PlanB's assessment on the low PL. The base template for a Ninja (as I found in the Random Char gen tables from the summoner) is PL 6. Well trained Samurai would need to be at least 5 or 6 (given how much they had to have trained to earn their rank).

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:35 am

I'd suggest calling "No Powers" other than spell-casting.

Kenmadragon

Rokugan is very human only, with the only real exceptions be Nezmui (even then only the crab, treat them like anything other than vermin),

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:47 am

kenmadragon wrote:Wait, Oriental Adventures' Rokugan? Sweeet. Can we be Vanaran? :mrgreen: Vanaran Ninja!

I like LaughingCrow's idea of having to pretend the Lord is still alive. That, and the part of me intruiged by history is wondering whether it would be wise to become Ronin. I mean, suppose our lord is dead. That would make any warrior who served that lord a Ronin, right? But in order to preserve our lives and that of others, we would need to put on a charade, a deception. This could be juicy in terms of whether it would be honorable to deceive everyone, for as Ronin, we would not be allowed our weapons, our armor, our station, nor our honor lest we pledge ourselves to another Lord. And if no Lord would take us, then as Ronin we would be persecuted.

Though I do have to agree with PlanB's assessment on the low PL. The base template for a Ninja (as I found in the Random Char gen tables from the summoner) is PL 6. Well trained Samurai would need to be at least 5 or 6 (given how much they had to have trained to earn their rank).

I like the idea of pretending the old lord is still alive, and he is sending his son to "learn the business" but again the son is alive and by blood, so you are not ronin unless you are kicked out, or the son dies.

So your level of live style will be ruined if the son dies, so some of you may have this as a motive.

I am fine with starting PL 6.

I am going to put almost no powers.

Spell casters will have powers, obviously, but I think I will only accept 1 spell caster, and they shouldn't have TOO many powers. Definitely no variable.

Other players I am thinking, again, super minimal powers. You are favoured by the Wind god? So you're speed 2.

You are favored by the earth god? So even though normal human strength is capped out at 4, maybe you have 6?

Fire would be something like slightly super human intelligence.

Water would be extremely skilled at talking... Maybe a "morph skill" with a limit "requires considerable prep time to prepare costume."
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:48 am

EnigmaticOne wrote:This is interesting, yes. Is it a Minor Clan or one of a Great Clan's lesser lesser lesser families?

I am thinking a lesser clan of a great clan, though I would not be opposed to a minor clan.
My Characters

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 am

I suggest a vassel of the unicorn/crane/scorpion basically anyone next to the lion (because lets face the lion are look for an excuse to invade, everyone, all the time.).

On spell-casting would basing it off the spells in the setting be ok?

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:06 am

Plan B wrote:I suggest a vassel of the unicorn/crane/scorpion basically anyone next to the lion (because lets face the lion are look for an excuse to invade, everyone, all the time.).

On spell-casting would basing it off the spells in the setting be ok?

yes, and I like a lesser clan of crane.

So not only are lions after it, but cranes jealous want it too
My Characters

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:51 am

When would the game be set? Each edition of the core rulebook jumped by at least a few decades.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:14 pm

Possible interest. I am thinking either a member of the Crab Clan or the Scorpion Clan. Leaning more toward the Crab Clan, however. Any thoughts, Hound?

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:58 pm

XeroKhan wrote:Possible interest. I am thinking either a member of the Crab Clan or the Scorpion Clan. Leaning more toward the Crab Clan, however. Any thoughts, Hound?

Well I am not really at character creation stage, but thinking about it. A crab would need a pretty good reason to be away from the wall.

I rather like the idea of Being a Small Crane province close to lion territory. A scorpion I can see being hired by a Lord to Keep around. Yes Crane and Scorpions are.... often at battle with words, but once can often thing of them as "Keeping friends close, enemies closer" type deal. It works. But Crane tend to look at Crabs more like Guard Dogs.... not badly, just not really good either....

Again this isn't even quite interest yet. I am mostly getting a feel on how players want the game to go.

I've already gotten a bunch of great ideas and suggestions I can use to construct a story.
My Characters

Return to “M&M Game Room”