[IC] Occult Detectives - Act 1 - The Body Eclectic

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Prof Weird
Champion
Champion

Re: [IC] Occult Detectives - Prologue

Postby Prof Weird » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:17 am

'Reba' Rossiter
HP : 3
Condition : normal

It took half an hour for her to look up a lot of the words, but she managed to figure out what the paper said - treatment with substances derived from a few native Haitian plants reduced transplant rejection better than no treatment (the controls; apparently a 'p-value' is the odds that the results are due to pure chance).

Such a treatment could be worth quite a bit of money to a drug company if it panned out. Or a motive to ensure no one finds out about it and threatens their patents ...

She remembered that the other four deaths had transplants before they died - could someone have been using them as unwitting test subjects ? There was precedent for such things. But that wouldn't explain what happened to Maxine. And would anybody risk writing a paper using illegal subjects ?

"Every time I learn one thing, two new questions pop up !"
she groused to herself, "I'm a supernatural creature trained as a jewelry maker, NOT an investigator !"

But at least she was making some progress - towards WHAT, she didn't know yet.

She had another choice to make - try to track down the main author on Maxine's paper, or visit the cops and try to find out more about what (if anything) happened while she was in custody from the G20 unpleasantness.

She texted Mr Repko about what she'd found out about Maxine's paper and her hunches before heading out to find that author ...

From earlier, Maxine's advisor was a Dr Steven Kantor; may or may not be the lead author on her paper
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Dr. Crane

The clerk rolls her eyes.
"Of course, it's important. It always is. Always something where you just need a breach of protocol, just this one time." She shakes her head and the resolve in her eyes gets stronger. "You want more information? Go through the right channels, OK? If things are so bad, why are you the only person just dying to get this info?" She settles back her chair and grumbles something under her breath about uppity doctors.

OOC: I went ahead and rolled a Diplomacy check for you. You missed the margin by a fair amount. Her attitude toward you doesn't get any better, but it technically doesn't get any worse.

'Reba' Rossiter

Quick Google searches reveal that Dr. Kanter isn't exactly scarce on publishing opportunities, but the majority of his papers are specifically about the role of academics when it comes to medicine, and how to run a hospital that turns out knowledgeable graduates, probably not unexpected for the Vice Dean of Faculty Affairs. This paper is decidedly outside of his usual realm of publishing. A quick search through mentions of him online show that his specialty is neurosurgery, which seldom meshes with organ transplants. One of your searches does reveal an image of the first page of the paper. While Dr. Kanter and Maxine Saivine are the only authors listed, there is a note of an editor, a Thomas Warren. The lack of title on the name suggests that it might be a fellow student to Maxine. He doesn't appear on any of the public webpages on the UPMC site, but you do find one mention in the Pittsburgh Tribune about him being a local high school student who was accepted into medical school, the third child of five from Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Warren from the Penn Hills area.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 am

Alastair Napier Yorke
HP: 3-1=2
Condition: Normal
Appearance: Doctor Hasler

Having handily evaded the nurse's request for help, Alistair made his way to the records department just in time to overhear the exchange between a Doctor and a clerk regarding the records of the very incident he was here to investigate. The world of the occult had a way of being unnervingly serendipitous.

I was allowed to spend an HP to edit the scene.

FuzzyBoots wrote: . . . If things are so bad, why are you the only person just dying to get this info?

Yorke butted in saying, "But you see, he is not the only one. There are many of us who have been put to this task. The question you should be asking yourself is: "Why don't I know about it this and what does the fact that I don't say about my likelihood of surviving the lay offs that could come from this incident?" You should know that the state and federal privacy laws don't apply to associated physicians. Also, the estate cannot bring a HIPPA action on behalf of the deceased, because there are no damages. Of course, you do seem competent and if you are a help to us we will include it in our final report. Come on, what do you say?"

First, Bluff to see if she buys the stuff about HIPPA and privacy laws.

Bluff 19/23 (latter if she is straight) [Something weird happened with Rolz.org, my first roll was 19, but it did not save and did not give me the option to get a url for some reason.]

Second to see if I can sweet talk her by offering her to include her in the report.

Diplomacy 23/27 [that one worked fine]

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:01 am

Dr. Crane / Alastair

As the nurse tries to get Alastair's attention, a frantic beeping starts up in an adjacent room. "God damn it... Mrs. Winkler probably yanked her IV off again. Tempted to just let her go some days." Nonetheless, the rushes off, leaving you to follow the signs to records. There, you see a lean man dressed in scrubs and a white coat leaning over the desk, unsuccessfully arguing about the release of records, Dr. Crane is the name on the badge, which matches up with mentions you've seen in the newspapers and magazines. You decide to break in.

When a voice breaks in across the room, Dr. Crane turns to see a vaguely familiar man in a doctor's coat walk into the room. You've seen him before in the halls, but you have no idea what specialty he is... your sharp eyes pick up on his ID badge, Dr. Myron Hasler. He leans over the counter and spins a tale of HIPAA regulations that rings false to your ears, and the clerk seems about to call him on it, her eyes darting to a shelf with largely untouched books of hospital regulations, and Dr. Hasler's oddly melodious deep voice keeps drawing her back and soon she's nodding slowly and looking more deeply into his eyes. At the end of the spiel, she brushes her hair back behind her ear and draws back slightly, looking everywhere but at Dr. Hasler.
"Well... I can't be personally involved... not that you'd want anything on a personal level. I mean... yes, I'll see what I can find, Dr. Crane. And Dr. Hasler."

She walks into the back of the room and starts shuffling through folders, occasionally darting a glance at the two doctors. After a few minutes, she comes out with a sheaf of papers. "These are the records we have on the nosocomial infections and on the three cases Dr. Graves was looking over. If I can just get your signature, Dr. Crane, here, here, and here, and initial these boxes to show that you've assigned yourself to their cases, accept responsibility for protecting their information, and so on and so forth, I can release them to you." As she speaks, her gaze keeps slipping to Dr. Hasler, ranging from glances to an attempt to gauge what he looks like under the lab coat.

OOC: Sense Motive: (1d20+5=21) fails to beat your bluff, although it was closer than I expected.

She's up to Friendly on the interaction scale, so she's willing to help you in a way that doesn't involve sticking her neck out, i.e. still going through procedure, at least on a superficial level.

Oh, and Gather Info: (1d20+10=21) on your Well-Informed. While you haven't had direct contact with the man, you've read of Dr. Crane's advances in the field of transplant surgery. Originating from Canada and educated at Harvard, the man has a talent for avoiding tissue rejection that borders on the supernatural, although he credits it largely to his technology, something to do with stem cells. He's also fairly well known for his eccentricities of travel. Rather than drive, or use public transportation, he runs to work each day. There's been some speculation that the hospital will be sponsoring him doing The Great Race under the aegis of the hospital as part of a program promoting better physical health for their physicians, but the way the articles were phrased, you suspect hearsay. For some reason, you get a bit of an off feeling from him, and you suspect there may be more lurking in his background than he's admitted.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Jeremiah Repko
HP 1
CONDITION: Fine

After a quick nap, Jeremiah decided to head off to the Pittsburgh Police Department to see if any of his previous co-workers knew of Dr. Stiles.

After arriving, he began asking around for a location on where Dr. Stiles was.

OOC: Not a lot of flavor, I know, but I needed to get back in. Anyway, I will be using my Contacts Feat and taking 20 on the Gather Information DC, for looking around for somebody who knows of the doctor may take a while, but somebody should hopefully know.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Jeremiah Repko

The Centre Avenue police station is a bit less than a mile down the road, but the weather has been dreary enough that making use of your Port Authority card is more appealing. Unusually enough, the buses are running on-time and you pick one up pretty quickly from the stop. On the bus, you spend your relatively short trip looking at the passengers and trying to deduce as much as you can from what they're wearing and carrying. Students, office workers, manual laborers... it's all so oddly prosaic given what you've learned about all of the weird things going on under the surface. With your new knowledge, you find yourself taking a closer look at the potentially unusual. Is that dark stain at the corner of the businessman's white shirt and his pale complexion the result of blood and vampirism or was he just an IT guy who leaned a little too close into his meal at Spaghetti Warehouse? The young woman in the back of the bus wearing a cloak... was she just an eccentric student or was the one of the practitioners? It's hard to tell. The line runs through your head that the problem with criminals is that most of them look just like anyone else.

When you arrive at the police station, you debark from the bus with your arms loaded with two boxes of doughnuts from Dunkin' Donuts down the road from your office. Yeah, doughnuts and cops are a cliche, but, like most office workers, they were always up for something sweet and full of calories, and from someone who'd done their job before, it came off as more affectionate humor than an attempt to make fun of them. Once in the door, Jeremiah was quickly divested of the boxes as the confections were handed out. Not long after, Jeremiah was waved to a conference room by a former colleague, Harmon Wells. After the door was closed, Harmon spoke, half a smile on his face.
"I know this isn't just a social call. Technically speaking, we're supposed to steer clear of helping PIs, but I owe you more than a couple and hey, you help catch find some people before there's a crime, which always looks good." When you ask for Dr. Bill Stiles's address, his smile dims a bit as he puzzlement creases the corners of his eyes.
"The hypnotist guy? Sure thing," he said, "Won't take more than a minute or so to do a quick lookup. But do you mind me asking why you need his home address? We haven't had any real complaints — not unless you include that bum who comes in once a week to try to convince us that the radio ads are brainwashing him to drink. He has an office address... do you just want to see him discreetly about that whole vampire thing? I'm told he's good, but he's not a miracle worker. He basically condenses therapy, I'm told, nothing that you couldn't do on your own, but he guides you into it. Wayne over in Homicide used it to help quit smoking, stopped and hasn't started again except sometimes when he's really nervous." Here, one moment...

Harmon pulls a tablet PC out of his belt. "New equipment, supposed to 'revolutionize police work'. I've experienced less bull shit walking across fields in Pensyltucky, but it has its uses. We're set up so we can network to the databases in the building instead of having to be tethered to our desks." A bit of tapping and pecking at the tablet and he pulls an old receipt out of his pocket and jots down an address. "Here you go. Just remember you have friends here. If things get rough or you wind up finding some 'high on PCP' case again, we need to know before you take the law in your own hands, you hear?"

OOC: Taking 20 gives you a value of 28, which is quite sufficient to use the Find Person aspect of Gather Information in a single check. Since you're headed to the police station, I figured to add a bit more flavor to the process.

By the by, you should have an additional Hero Point. Everyone got one as an apology from me for taking so long to get the thread up and running.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Jeremiah Repko
HP 2
CONDITION: Fine

"Thanks again, Harmon. I needed this address for a recent investigation I am involved in. Anyway, I'll see you again later, and thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind." Jeremiah said as he pocketed the address. "Hmmm... A hypnotist? This is getting interesting. Maybe Dr. Stiles has something to do with the deaths. Only one way to find out." Jeremiah thought as he grabbed a single doughnut and left for Dr. Stiles place.

Upon getting on the next bus to where the address was located, Jeremiah's cell began to ring. Seeing Reba's text on what she found on the paper, Jeremiah began thinking. "Organ Transport herbs from Haiti. Interesting. Her being from Haiti would explain how she got access to those specific herbs from Haiti. This paper might be a motive, so keep a hold on a couple copies of that report for evidence, to be safe. I will try to get a hold of Alistair to see what he came across. I found out that Dr. Stiles is a Hypnotist. This might change things up into the supernatural, but I have yet to find out. I have the man's address and will be arriving at his home soon. Good work, keep it up." Jeremiah texted Reba in response to her text.

Jeremiah then began calling up Alistair on his phone. The phone rang a few times...

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Prof Weird
Champion
Champion

Re: [IC] Occult Detectives - Act 1 - The Body Eclectic

Postby Prof Weird » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 pm

'Reba' Rossiter
HP : 3
Condition : normal, on the move to Langley Hall

"Now where would the University keep a copy of that paper ?" R'eva mused, "Only the abstract is available online, so that means I'll have to track down a physical copy of it.

It's a biological paper, so it would most likely be wherever they keep biology journals ...

A simple web search showed that Langley Hall is the University's life sciences library.

But it was on campus; hopefully she wouldn't need a student ID to just make a few photocopies of Maxine's paper (or that her assigned PI license will grant enough authority if she does).

She wrote herself a note to check with the police later about Maxine's G20 detainment, and then to maybe find out more about Thomas Warren.

She figured she could probably get most of her searching done and be home long before midnight - if her human guise choker isn't taken off to recharge for at least six hours, it shuts off until it is.

Which could be rather unpleasant and inconvenient to say the least !
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Dr. Crane
HP: 3

Crane watched Hasler work, his little speech was riddled with inaccuracies and flt out lies, but some how he charmed the woman. He hated to admit it, but the doctor had considerable game... which was odd considering prior to today he never stood out like this. It was like he was a different person. Perhaps he too was reading self help books...

Either way, Crane did not complain or raise a stink as Hasler obtained the files he was after, though it was odd he too was looking for them. After signing out the files he turned to Hasler, "Doctor." He said with a polite nod, and lead the man out of ear shot of the clerk. "I appreciate the assistance, but I am surprised anyone else is interested in this case. Most seem rather quick to dismiss this as a simple series of unfortunate events."
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 am

Alastair Napier Yorke
HP: 2
Condition: Normal
Appearance: Doctor Hasler

Hound wrote:"Doctor." He said with a polite nod, and lead the man out of ear shot of the clerk. "I appreciate the assistance, but I am surprised anyone else is interested in this case. Most seem rather quick to dismiss this as a simple series of unfortunate events."

Alastair tried to assess the man in front of him. His badge said Thomas Crane and the name was familiar to him. He had something to do with transplantation. Alastair was never sure how he managed to remember details about random things, but being generally well-informed had saved him on many occasions in the past. Crane had a sort of standoffish nature to him as if he was unable to attach himself to humanity as easily as he reattached severed limbs. "Yes, despite our crushing workload, my inquisitive nature keeps me here when I should be home catching some sleep. We probably wouldn't be good doctors if we didn't remain inquisitive, right? Let's go to the lounge and see if we can't figure out what is going on?" He handed the Doctor the files that he could not make heads or tails of himself. "Professional courtesy. You take a look and I will see if I agree with your conclusions."

Bluff: 14

Diplomacy if needed : 24

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Doctor Crane
HP: 2

Sense Motive: 1d20+12=24

Crane examined Hasler, he was calm, cool, collected, and showed none of the usual tells of a liar, but still Crane fell... suspicious about him. He wasn't being truthful about something... Or perhaps he was bending the truth. Hard to say. He just seemed... odd. But he was polite, and he had been helpful, and no matter what he was a Medical Professional from the same hospital, so Crane really should show him a minimal of professional courtesy.

"Very well, Doctor Hasler, let's go to my office where we can review the file in quiet."

Life Sciences/Medical Check: 1d20+12=26 to review the case files and look for any patterns that match the cases of surgery related infections, or any cases similar to the medical student where an organ was oddly damaged.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Return to “M&M Game Room”