Guardians of Battersea (OOC - Invite only)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Guardians of Battersea (OOC - Invite only)

Postby Bombaatu » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:24 pm

This will be a 2-player game for badpenny and Bladewind. It will take place in the fictional city of Battersea, NJ; see here for more details.

The tone will be very similar to Batman:TAS - mooks with guns can still be a threat, action confined mostly to the city itself. "Rooftop" heroes are what I'm looking for here; examples are Batman (obviously), Green Arrow, Black Canary, Spider-man, Daredevil, etc.

PL 7, 120 pp.
Shifts: Attack and Defense of -2 to +4, Damage and Toughness of -4 to +2.

House Rules:
Impervious resists attack of equal or lower rank as if a Hero Point had been rolled. (Example: Imp. Toughness 4 vs. a rank 4 gun rolls as if a hero point had been spent.)
Penetrating reduces ranks of Impervious for determining if Imperv. is effective against the given attack. (Example: Imperv Toughness 4 vs Penetrating Damage 3. Imperv rank is effectively 1 vs this attack and so is not effective.)

Characters:
Kitsune: badpenny
Blood Arrow (?): Bladewind
Last edited by Bombaatu on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Kitsune

Postby badpenny » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:20 am

Enter...Kitsune!

Art by Gaston25

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Guardians of Battersea (OOC - Invite only)

Postby Bladewind » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:38 am

The idea is coming to me, slowly.

Penny seems to have gone the Nightwing route... I think I might go the Archer route... not 100% sure yet.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:49 am

Badpenny had sent me a PM. I'm posting it and the response here because it's relevant to both players.

badpenny wrote:Does Wealth get you anything or is it strictly background? IOW, should I buy a limo and a Stately Manor? Or since they're going to be stock, i.e. not a Batmobile or a secret lair, can they be assumed to be part of his wealth?

Any thoughts to skills being 3/1pp (except for combat)? Other more common house rules such as PRE netting you a free PRE-related Advantage per rank purchased? Otherwise it's too expensive for what you get.

If the limo or the Stately Manor will not be used in crime-fighting activities or give any bonuses then they are just background and justified by your Wealth. However, if the Limo has an advanced communication system or weapons, or if the Manor has a Library that gives you a bonus on Knowledge rolls, etc., then they are Equipment and would have to be paid for accordingly.

I'm going to have to say no on the 3/1 skills; that's one of the reasons I gave 15 points over PL. As for PRE-related Advantages, lets say 1 for every other rank. That evens out for point-equivalence. I may even call for straight-up PRE rolls.

Here is the list of Advantages that I think are PRE-related; let me know on any others.
Animal Empathy
Benefit (depends on the benefit provided)
Connected
Daze (either)
Fascinate (any except Expertise)
Fearless
Inspire
Leadership
Startle
Taunt
Well Informed

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:57 am

Something else to mention; I would prefer if you two were an established duo at the beginning of the game. Are your backgrounds and/or themes linked somehow, or did the whole 'Who are you? I'm <name>. You fight crime too? Sweet! Let's team up!' just happen 'off-screen'? I think the former would be more interesting but I leave it up to you two.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm

in that case, what were you going for Bad Penny?

I was definitely not plannign to make the social conscious hereo that Green Arrow if often portrayed as, just as the often jerk with a checkered past Red Arrow is off my list.

I was, for all intents and purposes, kind of interested in making the character a kind of Batman Beyon type character - good kid, wrong crowd, nifty weapon and trying to do good...

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Kitsune is the alter-ego of Roarke Matheson, heir to the Matheson Distillery (of Matheson single-malt fame). They go back hundreds of years in Battersea. Roarke was a playboy in his college days and went to Japan at the request of his father to secure a market for their brand. Roarke fell in love with the country and decided to stay, effectively abandoning his family and his responsibilities. He began a study in martial arts and excelled.

Meanwhile, his family fell on hard times. There was an attempted hostile takeover by the largest beverage company in the world, and the Outfit tried to muscle in. The distillery had various arrangements (largely with Roarke's grandfather) over the better part of the 20th century, especially during Prohibition when the distillery was shuttered.

Roarke's father was determined to save his family's business and their place in society, so he resisted. It got him killed. Roarke's sister, Maureen, had taken after her big brother and joined the party circuit. She mostly stayed away from Battersea and partied in Utopolis, shielded from the darker goings on.

Upon learning of his father's death, Roarke wished to return to Battersea, feeling intensely guilty for abandoning his family, but had fallen in with a group that he now owed a certain loyalty to. For access to secret martial arts techniques, he was to become an operative for a clandestine group. Roarke had not been "sworn in" and only knows of its existence, but not its function. Because he was in no position to expose them, they allowed him to return home upon promise that he will perform selected missions for them. He is not a full-time operative, but also cannot refuse them.

I'm kind of going with an Arrow-like background, in that he's free to fight crime, but there's also board room stuff, and the secret group that trained him can generate missions. Hopefully it's open-ended enough to not conflict with Bomb's plans. I can add/drop as needed to suit.

Here's my first pass at his character sheet:

Kitsune - PL 7

Strength 3, Stamina 3, Agility 5, Dexterity 1, Fighting 5, Intellect 3, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages
Agile Feint, Benefit: Status (Important Family), Benefit: Wealth (well-off), Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 1, Fearless [free], Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical: Martial Arts, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Languages 1, Luck, Power Attack, Redirect, Second Chance: Deception checks, Skill Mastery: Athletics, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+13), Athletics 10 (+13), Close Combat: Martial Arts 4 (+9), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise: Business 4 (+7), Expertise: Streetwise 4 (+7), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 6 (+8), Investigation 4 (+7), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+6), Stealth 8 (+13), Technology 4 (+7)

Powers
Martial Arts Mastery: Strength-based Damage 2 (Advantage: Improved Critical) · 3 points

Equipment
Camo Clothing, Commlink, Disguise Kit, Mini-tracer, Multi-tool

Offense
Initiative +9
Martial Arts Mastery: Strength-based Damage 2, +9 (DC 20, Crit 19-20)

Complications
Honor: Roarke is an honorable and honest man, but he struggles with that drive against the seemingly insurmountable odds of fighting organized crime.

Identity: Roarke Matheson keeps the closely held secret that he is Kitsune

Motivation: Justice: Roarke is determined to bring law and order to Battersea, to rid the city of organized crime and once again make the streets safe.

Quirk: Guilt: Sometimes Roarke is plagued by the guilt of abandoning his family and the events that lead to his father's murder.

Relationship: Roarke's sister, Maureen, has a drug habit (though currently, after rehab, is clean). She still remembers all those good times she had on the party circuit in Utopolis....

Responsibility: Matheson Distillery (of Matheson Single-Malt fame) is struggling and requires Roarke's attention. It drains his effective (net) Wealth one rank (which should be Independently Wealthy).

Responsibility (secret): Roarke has had to give his promise that he will perform selected missions for the group that trained him. He is not a full-time operative, but when they call upon him, he cannot refuse.

Languages
English, Japanese

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 6/3, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 50 + Powers 2 + Advantages 20 + Skills 36 (72 ranks) + Defenses 12 = 120
Last edited by badpenny on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:03 pm

That's actually kinda funny - your background. And I don't mean funny ha ha.

The original idea that I had was to sort of modify (heavily) a character that I had in a short lived Batman Inc game... the character was Eric Molson, a favoured son of a family who had made their fortune in the brewing industry.

I just need to make the family a little more sinister and make some minor edits to the background, but:

Eric Molson lacks the angst and tragedy of the Bat Clan but is no less an ideal choice to be a part of the team known as Batman Incorporated.

Growing up in a life of privilege and opportunity, Eric had the best that his upbringing could offer. Smart, athletic and good looking he excelled in almost everything he touched. Having tutors available and not wanting for anything did not hurt, that’s certain.

But Eric always looked beyond what he had and at those around him. Already heavily involved with working as anonymously as possible in various places including the Old Brewery Mission, he was always disgusted when people spoke about crime and poverty in far off places. What about our backyard? Who stands up for the people around us? He always felt that it was easy to talk about the “third world” and to ignore the “first world.” Made it somehow less real.

Eric wanted to join the police force, but he found that he was never taken seriously. So he shifted his attention. Using his wealth and resources, Eric was able to touch many lives in many ways through charity, philanthropy and job creation. Still, he felt that somehow he should do more. Fascinated by superheroes and how they stood up for the law while not always standing within the restrictions of red tape, he imagined perhaps there might be a way to more.

He studied martial arts and took to problem solving in much the same way that police training is offered. Eric’s studies would have made an excellent detective but instead they forged the hero Damphyr.

Inspired by Batman, Green Arrow, Steel and others in the Justice League, he began to craft an enhancement suit. This suit put him on equal footing with a small SWAT team, giving him the ability to stand against larger numbers but nowhere in the same ballpark as Steel.

Damphyr soon began patrolling the streets. It did not take long to come across the true movers and shakers of Montreal’s organized crime as well as their brutal enforcer, Rusalka. Now, he works to prevent crime, knowing that the pushers and the petty crimes are just the tip of a much larger iceberg…

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Was Molson brewing supposed to be the big conglomeration that it is today or were you just using the name? That would be funny (haha) if we both had booze as a background.

Or if you're going to go with the kid idea, maybe he sneaks into the warehouse and Kitsune catches him. Once Kitsune learns of his true intentions they form an alliance.

@Bomb: I know in your history you have the two top-tier heroes of each city, but are there others?

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:35 pm

badpenny wrote:@Bomb: I know in your history you have the two top-tier heroes of each city, but are there others?

Nope - you're it :twisted:

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Any notes for Kitsune's build or background? Complications to be altered or expanded?

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Since right now it's 'dynamic duo' only, I'm stuck just watching, but I am. Avidly. :)

No one minds if I occasionally comment or off advice or whatever?
Impeach the peach!

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:49 pm

badpenny wrote:Any notes for Kitsune's build or background? Complications to be altered or expanded?

If you can scrounge a point or two, you might want to consider a few STR-damage alts like a stunning blow (Affliction: Dazed, Stunned) or Nerve Strike (Affliction: Impaired, Disabled) to give you some more options in a fight.

It looks like you have one more EP to spend; is that on purpose?

I'm a little iffy on this mysterious organization, though; I hadn't planned to carry the game beyond Battersea and its immediate environs. It's not that it's a bad idea, I just don't know when or if it would come up.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:52 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:Since right now it's 'dynamic duo' only, I'm stuck just watching, but I am. Avidly. :)

No one minds if I occasionally comment or off advice or whatever?

I'm cool with it if the players are :)

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:17 am

Bombaatu wrote:If you can scrounge a point or two, you might want to consider a few STR-damage alts like a stunning blow (Affliction: Dazed, Stunned) or Nerve Strike (Affliction: Impaired, Disabled) to give you some more options in a fight.

At low PL and with a linear d20, I don't find them to be useful. Take a Taser for example, hardly any one resists that IRL, but with a DC 14 Fort check, for some minions that's a Routine check to pass it. His damage, at DC 20, is at least a little harder to resist.

It looks like you have one more EP to spend; is that on purpose?

Just couldn't figure out what else he would need. I thought about a concealable microphone, but he doesn't have Slight of Hand.

I'm a little iffy on this mysterious organization, though; I hadn't planned to carry the game beyond Battersea and its immediate environs. It's not that it's a bad idea, I just don't know when or if it would come up.

I just figured they'd come seek him out in Battersea. He opens a door and there they are pressing him into service at just the wrong time.... Just another way to complicate his life. :twisted:

If you have some ideas of what you'd like to see instead, I'm fine with it of course. My idea is to present you with a lot of options, not make things harder.
Last edited by badpenny on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “M&M Game Room”