Demon Hunters [Interest for the new year]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Demon Hunters [Interest for the new year]

Postby Crazyivan777 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:24 am

Out of curiosity... Diablo world-wise... Is there slavery? I had this concept of a pit fighter (either of the 'animalistic berserker' variety or of the 'mysterious martial artist' variety') who might be -owned- by one of the other PC's. Just a concept-thought.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:37 am

Slavery is a thing in places, but not among the hunters. They free the slaves of demons where they can and are oppose to slavery in general. They will free the slaves of humans too where it is practical to do so (ie, a merchant on the road mistreating his slave will find a hunter's warning shot to be very convincing that his slave has earned their indenture and freedom)

So being owned presently by anyone would be highly unlikely unless there were extenuating circumstances that absolutely required it. Your characters' primary dedication should be to tye hunters amd what they stand for.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:39 am

I also wanted to note... With a setting involving angels and demons, Regen becomes a very tempting power, however keep in mind character heal rather fast in the first place in this game, and regen can very quickly unbalance thing when everyone has it.

So I ask everyone to use regen VERY sparringly.

Anomalocaris
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Anomalocaris » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:49 am

That's fair. Would you like me to remove or reduce Sister Agatha's Regeneration, or is the limitation sufficient?
I always thought of myself as more of a proto-arthropod, but apparently...

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Anomalocaris wrote:That's fair. Would you like me to remove or reduce Sister Agatha's Regeneration, or is the limitation sufficient?

I'm afraid that limitation is not acceptable. It's a condition you can initiate at will and honestly since much of your defence relies on being in that state, i would suggest strongly against it.

A limition needs to have some element beyond your control, like the kinds of enemies you will fight, time of day, stuff like that. Saying your character will act a certain way is not sufficient for a limitation, especially when the stipulations are that she will fight in combat and try her darnedest. It's sort of a given that she will fight in combat so the limitation doesn't really limit what you placed it on.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Oh, and in regards to your question on Side Effect; the effect that is layed on your character either due to failing to affect the target or when you use the effect (depending which you take) is personal range, not perception, regardless of the descriptor of the attack and its attendant side effect.

So the simple answer is no, you cannot apply the perception range extra as part of the side effect flaw.

That being said, the side effect should be appropriate to the power itself. An attack should have an attack of equal rank and so on, however, it could be an affliction if that wouod be more conceptually appropriate as long as tye effect rank is the same and has some level of equality to it (ie: penetrating, secondary effect, multiattack damage should not have an affliction with limited conditions twice and nothing else. The power cost should be similar if not exact.)

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:06 pm

Welp, New Years eve, almost into 2014. Happy New Year everyone.

Time to get some wheels under this thing.

Had a good while to think on this game, and I had an idea. We don't have to do this (especially if it means a bunchof you lose interest because of it lol), but what of this dark world were actually an online MMO?

I feel this wouod give a bit more freedom for concepts. Could be like a classless point based game where you can build up your character not too unlike m&m but from an assumed list of player options in the game.

Thoughts? I have some ideas that play on some cliches of such settings where the mmo is having effects on the real world, but in ways most people don't realize it's the game.

Your characters would be part of your own guild.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:13 pm

It would be a much harder sell for me- but, it wouldn't be an impossible sell..

Please provide more detail.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:28 pm

Spectrum wrote:It would be a much harder sell for me- but, it wouldn't be an impossible sell..

Please provide more detail.

What would you like to know?

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:36 pm

For example, compare/contrast against what Hound is cooking up in the New Beginnings game?

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:52 pm

Epic,

The group is people who are part of a horror/fantasy LARP. On Halloween the group decides to hold an event on a "haunted" battlefield. Unknown to them some how they become the characters they created and transported to the world that they only knew was on paper.

maybe something like this to make the game different than what Hound is doing.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:03 pm

That... is actually a great idea Shadow. It has a completely different vibe, and sets up a completely different tone. The people transported to this dark fantasy world (contrasted with Hound's half-gaia regular fantasy) are not gamers (as Hound had) but Role-Players, and keeping the aspect of horror in mind, they find that the deviously created game that they assumed would be scary for fun had become a nigthmare that wouldn't end!

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:14 pm

kenmadragon wrote:That... is actually a great idea Shadow. It has a completely different vibe, and sets up a completely different tone. The people transported to this dark fantasy world (contrasted with Hound's half-gaia regular fantasy) are not gamers (as Hound had) but Role-Players, and keeping the aspect of horror in mind, they find that the deviously created game that they assumed would be scary for fun had become a nigthmare that wouldn't end!

Thanks ken lets see if Epic can use that to mold us a nice world and game.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Could I possibly get in on this action as well? I understand the setting entirely and wish to promote some form of character. Any suggestions for a character?

(P.S. Happy New Year, for I am posting this approximately 40 minutes into 2014.)

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:06 am

I know a little about LARP, since my roommate has been doing it for years and I've gone to a few games as crew. It was kinda fun.

Anyways, the idea of a player being sucked into their character in a game makes more sense since you're being digitally created as such. It's all data in the game. With a LARP, your character sheet is pencil on paper, or if you're like me, text in a word file on a laptop, or for some people, just raw memory.

Also note there are different variants of LARP. The one my roommate is into is soft contact, no dice rolling, but boffer weapons and controlled strikes only.. There are LARPs that use more solid weapons and more fast-pased combat (injuries are commonplace and "add to the experience and realism" I'm told), and then there are ones that use dice rolls for anything of importance, like combat. SO that needs to be taken into account as well.

All in all, it just doesn't work as cleanly as an SAO situation where the players somehow become their characters, and I'm not even saying that I was aiming for that rather than something like .hack where the players are still human players and have lives and such outside the game and may not even necessarily know each other outside of the game.

As for Hound's game, I frankly don't know what he's doing with it. I never looked.

I just know I pitched a game for an MMO styled game in the past and i came across my notes for it and remembered it had a very heavy Angels vs Demons vs Humans factions sort of idea to it, so it was in the same ballpark. Not necessarily saying I'd run it exactly like that, but it got me to thinking.

Return to “M&M Game Room”