Demon Hunters [Interest for the new year]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Demon Hunters [Interest for the new year]

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:37 pm

I would be interested. Personally, I always love my mages, but that always requires a huge point expenditure or some strange uses of variable. Eh, I figure I may try my hand at it anyways. Experienced is a sweet spot I like in dark fantasy games, as it has a decent mix of still in trouble but know enough.

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby whiteprofit » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:23 pm

I like the idea of varied PLs. When we do that IRL we usually offer incentives for dropping PL like extra starting Hero Points and free equipment (provided by the senior trainer) and as you mentioned faster pp hand outs.

For these boards, I would recommend setting up two or three options if those interested are up for it.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:06 pm

You had my interest up until the variable power level.

Why would I want to come in under powered to a high action game where I'll need every point I can scrounge to stay alive?

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Spectrum wrote:You had my interest up until the variable power level.

Why would I want to come in under powered to a high action game where I'll need every point I can scrounge to stay alive?

Well, there are two answers to this.

1) I haven't decided on the power level or point allocation yet. Those were just some suggested ideas as I was looking for feedback.

2) If the mixed power level did end up being the popular choice, take the higher option and be a badass. If others want to be more challenged and take a lower pl for the payoff of faster progression, let them. That is literally the entire point of there being a choice. :)

Put simply, if you don't want any kind of varied PL among the player characters, then rally everyone for one of the other suggestions for everyone to be the same experience level (when I said 6-7, 8-9 and 10-11, those were suggested PLs. There would he a single pl.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:16 pm

I would go for maybe Pl 8 or 9, as we are the ppl who got reps and get things done.

other option would be lower PL 6-7 but have some extra PP that even though we are green are driven and good at what we do, we trained for various reasons to be weapons against the monsters. We were apprenticed our trainer/mentor dies and it is up to us to fix the problem. Kinda of a coming of age or being the underdogs of a story. We have to take on something nasty an now we have to figure it out. We have training, we have abilities now there is no one holding our hand, the safety net is gone so its do or everyone dies.

It just depends on what people what and how Epic wants to lay out the story.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Great, I was just about to say that, but EPIC beat me to it. Great I'm on the same page! Though I like PL 7 with 120 PP or PL 8 with 135 PP (again, because magic can get kinda expensive if one wants to fit Dark Fantasy tropes).

Question: how familiar need we be with the Diablo series? I know you said that it was just a reference to see the similarities in setting, but I was just wondering how closely an understanding of the setting would be required. Or is it just the tone and mood of the game that you are using it as an example for?

Also, when you say magic is more focused on movement/transformation of energy and matter, do you plan on being very general in the idea of magic being a sort of "ever-present force" that only a select few people can tap into, or simply an "elements of magic and nature" idea. I mean, is magic gonna be differentiated by certain types, or is it all just one force that has varied (yet more limited than D&D) application.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm flexible.
Impeach the peach!

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:02 pm

kenmadragon wrote:how familiar need we be with the Diablo series? I know you said that it was just a reference to see the similarities in setting, but I was just wondering how closely an understanding of the setting would be required. Or is it just the tone and mood of the game that you are using it as an example for?

Just the overall tone of the setting is good enough. You don't need to know any specific places, names people, organizations or anything like that. This world is inspired by Diablo's Sanctuary, but doesn't directly borrow from it.

kenmadragon wrote:Also, when you say magic is more focused on movement/transformation of energy and matter, do you plan on being very general in the idea of magic being a sort of "ever-present force" that only a select few people can tap into, or simply an "elements of magic and nature" idea. I mean, is magic gonna be differentiated by certain types, or is it all just one force that has varied (yet more limited than D&D) application.

Sorry, I didn't do a good job explaining since I was at work and rushed the end of my post there.

What I was trying to convey was that I do not want magic to be capable of everything. I don't want it to be an omnipotent force. It might be best to simply think of it as a nature thing, using the classic forces of energy (Fire, Ice, Lightning, Force, Arcane) where divine magic could do things like shields of faith, holy energy, healing and diviniation. Still not omnipotent, and giving a unique flavor and abilities to either one.

I'm not trying to set a specific mold to use, but a basic idea of what I would like to see of anyone looking to play a magic user. Magic is not the be all end all. It's quite powerful the way a bazooka is quite powerful It does what it does very well, but it honestly doesn't do much more than that.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:46 am

So suggestions so far;
PL 8 or 9 at regular pp
PL 6, 7 or 8 with extra pp

The former being experienced characters that know what they are doing, the latter ranging from skilled rookies (characters would be skilled, but lack field experience on their own) to, one again, competent and experienced hunters

Any other suggestions or throwing in for one of the above?

Also, to add what I said about the setting in my previous post, having a grasp of the level of magic and technology in Diablo helps. Clockwork, steamworks and black powder are pretty much the high end stuff for technology and still being tlexplored as far as applications go (ie: if some saw clock work ajd black power and jumped to gun, they would correct, but said gun would be one of a kind and very likely a prototype or self built and rudimentary at best. Of course, that is entirely for flavor. If you want to build a clockwork gunslinger, go for it)

I'm looking for more dynamic builds, not hard realism (Demon Hunter in Diablo 3 somehow rapidfires dual hand crossbows like full auto pistols. Or with any bow or crossbow really, so why not a clockwork gun?)

So don't get too caught on the idea of it being dark fantasy and brutal. It is both those things, but I like dynamic characters and tue enemies you face will be equally so, especially the recurring ones.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:27 pm

So if someone would take some ideas from the VanHelsing movie with Jackman in it. The repeating crossbow and some of the other gadgets they made in there would be fine?
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Shadow13 wrote:So if someone would take some ideas from the VanHelsing movie with Jackman in it. The repeating crossbow and some of the other gadgets they made in there would be fine?

Completely.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Been a few days, but this is still a thing.

It's just that busy time leading up to the holidays. So not to worry, just giving this a bump and saying I am still interested in running this

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:53 am

You know, I had an idea for a Vam Helsing type build. But it seemed like it was fit for a world with pretty much no magic whatsoever. So, I'm still thinking of a mage type build (stealing from Diablo's wizard for him being a prodigy who has learned all the masters had to teach but now seeks out tougher challenges to learn the True magic) but kinda waiting on your say on when to start making character backgrounds and stuff. Depending on what PL and level of experience characters are supposed to have, the character can go a lot of ways...

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Well, no one else has really spoken up, so I guess we can go with "experienced but not veterans".

I think it gives the greatest flexibility in terms of archetypes.

As for the Van Hellsing type character, I think he'd work just fine. Just because there is magic doesn't mean you need to use it. If i were to put a percent on how much of the world is saturated or uses magic, I'd out tye number slmewhere between 10-20%. 1 in 5. So a non-magic character woks just fine.

That said, you can model a character off the diablo 3 wizard just fine as well. Both ideas work.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:00 pm

I just realized I utterly failed to answer the real question, which is what PL and PP allocation I'm doling out for this game.

I'm thinking PL7, 135pp

I'm going to try and not ban anything so long as it is appropriate to the setting with the caveat that I can still veto anything I deem as inappropriate, either asking for it to be toned back or taken out (I'll try to stick to asking for the former. Axing something should be a last resort only.)

Any questions for concepts and such?

Recruitment will be very loose until after the new years.

Return to “M&M Game Room”