Justice Legion - Episode One - A League of Their Own

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Justice Legion - Episode One - A League of Their Own

Postby McGuffin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 am

Anansi
HP: 1 Cnd: Fine

Immediately after arriving Carol ignored the shadowy suits. Typical spook stuff, they'd start talking eventually so no need to pay any attention to them until then. Before she could do much more Rift reappeared with Blue Beetle and the armored guy was soon pointing plasma cannons every which way. Instinct took over and Carol was clinging to the ceiling to get out of the immediate line of fire before anyone else could react.

When Blue lowered his cannons, Carol dropped down to the floor, looking around curiously at the momentary vibe she seemed to be getting almost in response to the blue-armored Legionnaires freak out. But when it subsided quickly she shrugged it off and wandered after Beetle.

Carol sat down on the edge of the table next to him. "Chicks dig cannons but you should loosen up a bit Blue, you'll live longer. Name's Anansi, by the way." Her posture was relaxed as she spoke, though she was leafing through the folder as she did.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Hawkwind

The winged woman removes her helmet and places it on top of the folder in front of her. She`s an attractive woman. Her eyes are a bit unsettling, being completely black with no puils. She raises an eyebrow at Vecta.

"You asking for yourself or for the group?" She half smiles. "We were to recover the fallen craft. We went with a squad of highly trained individuals to retreive the object in the hopes that it had technology that we could use or secrets that we could use to our advantage."

She looks at Beetle, wondering if he was going to pop out another cannon. Andy and Camilla both get a sense of survivor`s guilt and anger from Hawkwind. She`s guarding her thoughts though so any more will require attempts to read her mind.

"But things went south. Very south very fast."

The figures on the screen, still cloaked in shadow for the most part, start to arrange their papers and look ready to begin.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Tinker
HP: 1 / LP: 5

Tinker had been pouring through the folder, paused when Blue Beetle crashed in with loaded guns, and watched with detached fascination before Beetle yanked away the cannons and looked sheepish. "Huh. Is there an AI with that system, or are you just having trouble controlling it?"

As if nothing happened, Tinker was smiling and back to the mission data. "So find the ship, find the team, rescue them, pillage then burn. Then hightail away?"
Impeach the peach!

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Leviathan
HP: 1 LP:1
CONDITION: Cautious

Sheet

Having the dimensions of your average sedan sure makes it hard to maneuver on a ship. Levi thinks to himself as he ducks through the doorway to the briefing room. Looking around, which is a while new experience when you can do so without moving, the room and checking out his various vision modes, just to stay in practice, Levi wonders what this room used to be used for before they converted it into a briefing room for the Legionnaires. Recognizing Dr. Greene off to the side, Levi tries to nod at her in greeting but thanks to his new physiology it turns into a sort of half bow directed ahead of him. Instead he waves a hand and his radio housing crackles to life, ~Good to see you Dr. Greene.~ "Good to see you Dr. Greene."

Carefully reaching to the packet of photos and papers on the table, he tries very hard not to punch through the surface with his fingers. He manages to spread out all the papers and photos with only a minimum of surface scarring on the table. Leaning forward he takes a close look at the photos of the damaged ship and tries to memorize all the information about its course and condition.

When the blue guy appeared and started to change his arms into what were obviously weapons, he stands up and prepares to try and put himself between the invader and the rest of the people in the room. As soon as he is fully up and about to move he feels a quick wash of calm and sees the guy lower his arms as they change back to, relatively, normal. ~Easy pal, that's a heck of an itchy trigger finger you have.~ "Easy pal, that's a heck of an itchy trigger finger you have."

After Hawkwinds explanation of her mission he gestures to himself and says, ~There's obviously been at least one other of these craft encountered. I haven't been given any information on the capabilities of these craft, just the fact that they were the source for my particular Phase 2 experiment. What types of technology were you expecting to encounter? And what went wrong on the mission?~ "There's obviously been at least one other of these craft encountered. I haven't been given any information on the capabilities of these craft, just the fact that they were the source for my particular Phase 2 experiment. What types of technology were you expecting to encounter? And what went wrong on the mission?"
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:07 pm

The Marian

HP:1
CND: Normal

The Marian emerges from the water and walks up the retractable "gangplank" that has been lowered to the ocean's surface. He salutes any navyman he passes whether seaman, chief, or officer. He does not, however, stop to chat as he proceeds to the meeting room with the utmost urgency.

He is mostly dry as he enters the briefing room. Though substantially less bulky than Leviathan, The Marian still strikes an intimidating physical presence. His aquamarine flesh appears as some subtle combination of human skin and fish scales. His low bodyfat-level makes his heavily muscled frame appear even more defined. He wears only purple gloves and tights for modesty's sake.

He picks up a folder on the table, but refuses to open it until he grabs some refreshments. With the folder under one arm, he proceeds to devour a rather substantial portion of the "free" food. He stops only when he's afraid his gluttony might be deemed rude by others in the room. "Sorry..." he says to no one in particular, "....I burned off a lot of calories getting here." As he chews his food he looks around the room and nods in acknowledgement to all present. Occasionally, he throws out a soft-spoken "Hello."

It takes a few minutes, but eventually his body odor (similar to fresh seafood) wafts throughout the meeting room. When he finally gets around to reading the materials and looking at the photos, he looks up and speaks, "The Amazon is a big place. Where exactly did it land?"

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Anansi

When Carol saw the Marian enter the briefing-room, she snapped the folder in her hands shut and dropped it on the table she'd been sitting at as she swung her feet to the floor. "Nice chatting with you boys."

She stalked purposefully across the room to the statuesque Legionnaire, sidling up close to him to peer at his folder. Carol lifted her eyes to meet his gaze, she was a head shorter than him. "Hey there, tall, muscular and handsome. Mind if I peek at your notes? I left mine in Japan. You wouldn't want me to get in trouble with the brass, nee?"

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

TempestII
Cohort
Cohort

Postby TempestII » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Vecta

It didn't take a telepath to tell Anansi's intentions. It was like junior high all over again...

Admittedly though, the scent of raw fish and sea-weed caused Camila's nose to scrunch up in protection against the horrid odor. Having to look away to distract herself, she looked over at Hawkwind right as she returned to her question.

"You asking for yourself or for the group?"

"Idealy they're one and the same." Camila returned quickly, her corner of her lips upturned in a subtle, playful smirk.

Going quiet as others spoke up, Camila watched each one in turn as they offered input. Leviathan was interesting, to say the least...his monstrous visage belying complicated synapses firing beneath the surface. For several brief seconds, Camila what it would be like to wander through them - how alien they would be.

Likewise, the blue-and-black armored figure seemed flighty and jumpy....Cam didn't know how easy he would be to work with if he was that impetuous within the proximity of allies.

Before she could continue her perusal, Tinker -that's what she thought his name was - spoke up with a mission summary.

"What if it's a trap?" Camila asks.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Hawkwind

Hawkwind listens, her gaze mirroring Anansi's actions for a moment before she chimes in.

"Not what if. It is a trap. But we can't afford to not go back in.

"I can confirm that the closest interested Alliance party to the crash site is still a three day hike out. And it has to be hike. Terrain is difficult to begin with and there is an EMP field extended for 16 miles around the site. Nothing tech works more than 15 feet off the ground."

The fact is that even playing fields like this one rarely happen when it comes to the Alliance.

Incidentally, Leviathan, you also note that it's more than a little odd that this room can accommodate you. It seems like wasted space for a ship.

"Rift can get most of us to a safe base camp. But the fact of the matter is I'm not really interested in wasting another squadron to whatever is out there."

She glances up to the screens.

"As for what went wrong..."
Last edited by Bladewind on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Blue Beetle
HP: 1

TELL THEM NOTHING.

I know that already, Willy thought in his head when he heard the commentary of those around. He was already embarrassed by what had just happened, and this was not helping at all.

He arched an eyebrow at the woman who called herself "Anansi". "Like the spider? Thought that was a dude." he wondered aloud.

He then turned sharply to Tinker, giving him a bit of a glare. "Uh, no such thing as AI. That's just Science Fiction..." he lied. A bit convincingly too, given that Khaji Da went quiet when he said it. Good... the AI said quietly. Maintenance of this Scarab's intelligence is a priority to maintenance of Host Safety...

Blue just looked at Leviathan, hearing the beast from the box and from his inner ear at the same time. A text in his inner eye scrolled, explaining that the massive being before him broadcasted via radio signals. The effect was rather jarring.

He glanced at the Marian as he entered, and Khaji Da continued to process information, and analyze, and record data, and come up with ways to destroy everyone in the room systematically. Willy had to frown when he thought he saw the words "Dimension Bleed" in the massive scrolls of text, but it was but a flash before it was gone. Willy figured he must have imagined it.

But he definitely had to roll his eyes at the reactions to the Marian. He had seen girls at his school swoon over the jocks. But those jocks were also the jerks who beat him up, who tormented him, who created havoc and showboated because they believed themselves the kings of the world. And for high school, those jocks did seem like kings of the world. Willy dropped his eyes, remembering the aches of his bruises under the armor, and the scrapes and cuts he had gotten over the years. From the strong guys who the cheerleaders and most of the campus' feminine population seemed to love.

William Northrup. Pay Attention. This Scarab warned you that accepting would place the host in danger. This is unacceptable. Refuse! Khaji Da warned him, just as Hawkwind said the word: Trap.

Willy's attention perked when he heard this, and was intruigued by the thought of the EMP field finally giving him some quiet. Unlikely though, given that Khaji Da immediately responded to that comment, Such tactics would be unadvised against this Unit. Scarab Systems are unhindered by fluctuations of Electromagnetic fields. There was a pause. Scarab Systems would be strained in shielding itself from such effects, however. Khaji Da eventually admitted. Willy guessed that made sense. The Scarab didn't seem to have needed a battery, and as far as Willy could tell, it didn't run on electricity or use circuits. If it did, then the fact that it was fused to his spine was a weird one. If an EMP could fry Khaji Da, would it fry Willy as well? Suddenly, Willy was thankful the Scarab wouldn't be too affected by an EM-Field.

Willy noticed something was wrong though. Hawkwind wanted to say something, but wasn't. Of course, Khaji Da was apparently more perceptive than Willy. It appears that the Beings displayed on these archaic screens may wish to keep information hidden. This is unacceptable. Press for Information. Threaten with Hostile Force!

Sighing, Willy piped up, "What did go wrong? Is that confidential, or are we not allowed to know what's in store for us?"

optionqb
Champion
Champion

Postby optionqb » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 am

The Marian

HP:1
CND: Normal

"Hey there, tall, muscular and handsome. Mind if I peek at your notes? I left mine in Japan. You wouldn't want me to get in trouble with the brass, nee?"

"Oh...certainly...", Roberto said with a slight tone of astonishment, "...I thought they gave everyone a folder." His eyes scanned the room looking for her missing dossier. I wonder if that's it on the table over there?

"So you are from Japan? I was in your neighborhood a couple of months ago. Well, not exactly in *your* neighborhood. I was surveying the Izu-Bonin trench off the southeast coast of Honshu. It's a lovely stretch of ocean."

Leaning back The Marian picks up a plate of crab-dip and chips. "Want some?", he says turning back to the young woman.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Anansi

Carol gave a short surprised laugh at the Marian's words. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm not from Japan, I'm from South-Africa. But maybe you can show me around there at some point. I'd love a swim, although I'm not sure I could keep up with someone of your.. stamina."

As she spoke, Carol slipped around him so she was between him and her dropped dossier and squarely in the middle of his field of vision. Accepting the offered snacks, she pulled up the bottom of her mask just enough to reveal her lips curved in a smile before popping the treat into her mouth. "Oh, that is amazing! Sorry, as I was saying, I'm not from Japan, I was working a gig there when Rift popped in to bring me here, must've dropped the folder she gave me there. Haven't teleported before and all."

"You play hide and seek with a bunch of Alliance grunts for a couple of days and you learn to appreciate the little things again. Proper food? A hot shower? What I wouldn't do for a chance to peel this thing off and just relax under the water for a moment, you know?"

She studied him for a bit, her expression hard to read beneath the mask except for the lips curled in a mischievous smile before she pulls the mask down. "But needs must and all that crap, that's military life for you." You get the impression the last bit is part of some old 'conversation' she had with someone else long ago.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:01 am

Leviathan
CONDITION: Uninjured

Sheet

Seeing Anansi flirting with the fish guy brings memories of his life before the invasion to mind. Levi thought he had come to grips with losing her, but even after 9 years of grieving, he still misses his fiance. He also has a new regret to think over when he sees PDA like this, Who'd want him now that he looks like a monster. And even if they could get over his looks he's not equipped to do much more than talk, and that not very easily, these days. Lost in thought and regret he doesn't realize his thoughts have become more than that until he hears his radio housing crackle to life, ~Abby...~ "Abby..."

The others in the room that might be looking his way will see him slump a little bit just before his utterance and then see him shake a little bit, almost like a shiver or an animal trying to shake its head. ~Sorry about that folks, got lost in thought.~ "Sorry about that folks, got lost in thought." His voice comes through largely devoid of emotion thanks to the mechanical reproduction of the radio housing but those with Radio senses or emotion senses can hear the sheepishness and sadness in the "voice".

Levi then turns his body to face the documents on the table in front of him and the dimly lit screens and stands at parade rest.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Dr. Greene

Dr. Greene raised a scaly eyebrow at the Rachni-splice's antics. She wondered for a brief moment if the new genetic code was causing hormonal imbalances that would send the host into artificial estrus. She would have to get the lab techs to order a blood draw and chemical analysis.

She turned her attention back to the likely Thanagarian-splice and the monitors.

"How long ago was the crash and the previous mission?" she asks again, the question not having been resolved.

"And is there any further information we should know before this JL squad sets off?"

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 am

GM POST

There are a total of three monitors, spaced to account for another two between them. Two of the people in shadow are men and the last is a woman. A fourth screen reveals a man that Beetle is familiar with, Major Greenbaum. He is not shrouded, but the light is dimmed so as to not “blind” you compared to the other three. The final screen comes on to reveal a map of South America.

One thing is obvious, with the setup onboard the Steelhaven, Earth Defenses have been upgrading with reverse engineered tech.

Greenbaum acknowledges Beetle with a nod and waits for the rest of the shadows to speak.

“Dr Green, forgive the delay in answering your question.” The woman speaks. “Hawkwind is not under any non-disclosure agreements with regards to those of you in this room. Be aware that what we are about to discuss is on a need-to-know basis, and right now you all need to know. But no one outside this room is to be made aware, and this includes any troops that you bring with you.

"We are dealing with a situation that started four days ago.”

Hawkwind grumbles a bit at that but not enough to draw attention.

“As Hawkwind described, she was assigned with Strikeforce Episilon to investigate a falling object.”The image of South America vanishes and is replaced with grainy footage of what looks like a Leviathan ship – Levi at the very least recognizes it as such, as likely does Dr Greene.

“The oddities of the situation are the fact of the Alliance movement to get to the object as well as the EMP field generated above it. The Alliance has not been overly interested in recovery missions to date and we want to know what makes this craft so special. Surveillance footage, as pointed out by Hawkwind, indicates we still have time. Rift will be assisting us in that endeavor.

”There appears to already be an Alliance party in the area, one that our surveillance cameras have not located. These are likely responsible for the loss of the squadron accompanying Strikeforce Episilon.”

“Slaughtering them is more like it.”
Hawkwind interjects but is ignored.

““The troops were found shot by high energy weapons, stabbed and slashed. The commanding officer`s head and spine were missing. It goes without saying that this levl of brutality must not be made public.”

“What pisses me off the most,”
Hawkwind states, “Even with this fancy helmet I saw and heard nothing. But like I said, it`s a trap and we cannot afford to ignore it. I hope to have us ready within 30 minutes. I`ve already requested a new squad – better trained and fewer in number – and have no intention of losing more personel to this mission. Are you with me?”

Her question is addressed to the group, but one of the male figures coughs to gain your attention.

“Hawkwind`s stirring words aside,” [/b]he says, “[b]Be aware that you were chosen not necessarily for the powers that the Legion Process gave you, but for your backgrounds and non-powered abilities as well. Leviathan, you represent the greatest asset and hindrance to this team. We`re hoping your presence – combined with Dr Greene`s research – will provide valuable insight into the situation. However, your increased size and mass will make extraction by Rift virtually impossible.

“You will be on your own out there. For that reason, as some of you have deduced or been made aware, we are assigning you to be Justice League Hotel. It is my understanding that groups rename themselves – I admit JL Hotel doesn`t really have much of a heroic ring to it – but our primary concern is to give you the authority and resources that the Leagues enjoy.

“As Hawkwind said, you leave in…. 29 minutes and 33 seconds… Good luck.”
Three of the screens wink out, leaving Major Greenbaum and the map/ data screen.

“I am Major Greenbaum and I will be your liaison to Earth Defenses. The Blue Beetle I am already familiar with and I have been briefed on the rest of you. Rift will be on board the Haven in approximately 20 minutes. You need to be ready for her.

“As this mission`s likihood of success is questionable and there is no extraction plan currently in place, you have the opportunity to decline. I will say that we do not have the time to replace any of you, but the choice is yours and your records will not reflect poorly because of it.

“ Any questions? More importantly, can we count on you?”
The screen will provided maps and surveillance feeds as needed to respond to those types of questions.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 am

Leviathan
CONDITION: Uninjured

Sheet

Leaning forward slightly toward the table Levi begins looking over the documents spread out on the, slightly worse for wear, table top in front of him, ~Do we have any intelligence on what aliens or how many we'll be up against? Can we get the dossiers on the team that went in initially? I'd like to know the capabilities of the force that was defeated to know the relative strength of the enemy force.~ "Do we have any intelligence on what aliens or how many we'll be up against? Also do we have the dossiers on the team that went in initially? I'd like to know the capabilities of the force that was defeated to know the relative strength of the enemy force."

Directing his attention around the room he catches his eye on the rod in front of Hawkwind. ~Also what is that rod on the table? Is that yours Hawkwind or is it something recovered from the crash site?~ "Also what is that rod on the table? Is that yours Hawkwind or is it something recovered from the crash site?"

On the dossier thing I'm looking for the capabilities of the previous team. Speeds, Attack Ranges, Toughness, etc. I'm not after exact powers and levels but approximate capabilites. Was Jotun able to lift and/or punch through a tank? Is Hawkwind Subsonic/Supersonic in her flight speed? Whats the furthest range Snapdragon could reliably hit a target? Etc.

Return to “M&M Game Room”