The LC Foundation [OOC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

The LC Foundation [OOC]

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 pm

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” - JFK, attributed to Edmund Burke

"There's room in our line of work for hope, too." - Stephanie Brown, Batgirl.

System: 3rd Edition
Setting: DC universe, pre-New52
PL: 9 (players can choose to start at PL 8 with 150 pp; they cannot trade off to start at PL 10)
Recruitment: Tentatively 2 weeks (November 28th, but if a group of likely candidates fills up, it may end sooner).

Many years ago, multimillionaire Loren Jupiter took an interest in the Teen Titans and became their sponsor. His goal was to inspire youth to follow the young heroes' idealistic example. He funded a second team when the original Titans went their own ways, but soon realized that putting children in very serious danger was contrary to what he set out to do, and he disbanded his second incarnation of the Teen Titans, and retired from the world to pursue his altruistic goals.

The world has changed, crises have come and gone, and after much thought Loren Jupiter has revealed his latest initiative, without fanfare and trusting more in word-of-mouth and grassroots awareness to spread knowledge of The LC Foundation.

The LC Foundation is not a school for teenaged superheroes; it's not the HQ of any nascent metahuman team, and it's certainly not a research center for superpowers. Jupiter created The LC Foundation to bring help to the forgotten corners of a world of superheroes: the victims, the families, the castoffs. The staff of The LC Foundation provide psychological and legal counsel, and its secret facilities provide haven and refuge, reached only by the teleport pads in its many branch offices around the world.

In the months after it opened, the Foundation has helped children of supervillains cope with their legacies, provided a safe place for abused spouses of so-called superheroes, offered a shoulder to cry on to overwhelmed interdimensional warriors with PTSD, given a second chance to superpowered criminals when the world has turned its back on them, and even support and housing to normal people who've lost everything to a battle between demigods. The Foundation welcomes volunteers from both the metahuman and normal communities, and is VERY good at screening spies from government and criminal groups intent on using the Foundation as a resource.

Theme and Tone: While both PCs and NPCs may have some darkness to tackle, the main theme of this game is about hope, about the light at the end of the tunnel, about helping and reaching out and saving the world one soul at a time. There might be some really serious issues as part of the story, and things might get slightly political, but it will still be a superhero game.

Characters: PCs can be anything and anyone that might have a stake in the LC Foundation; roughly split between guests, staff, and volunteers.

Guests are people who need the Foundation's help in one way or another: an orphan from the Shadow Realm, an ex-cultist from the Church of Blood under de-programming, a shell-shocked Green Lantern dropout, a young mother running from her League of Assassins ex-husband, a teen who needs help figuring out his nascent powers, etc.

Staff are people directly employed by the Foundation to provide a service for guests: psychologists, teachers, physical therapists, lawyers, security personnel, etc. These people must be highly-dedicated and love their job.

Volunteers are members of the metahuman community who take time from regular superheroics to lend a hand with anything that might be needed, and they can be either heroic or villainous (Mirror Master donates religiously to an orphanage, for example). While aliases are allowed, Jupiter has a masks-off, neutral-ground policy inside the center, and guarantees privacy. Volunteers can be both original and established DC characters.

Characters can have a reasonable relationship to established DC characters or have entirely original superheroes or super teams as part of their background.

What you cannot be: Anyone with an ulterior motive to go to the Foundation. There's a wickedly good telepath/seer providing screening services and Jupiter is as resourceful as Bruce Wayne, and has devoted his fortune to this venture entirely.

I'm aiming for a cast of 6-8 PCs, and the nature of the setting allows for heavy rotation, so I might offer guest spots to people who don't make it as part of the main cast.

Cast:
* Toby Chestefield (EnigmaticOne) - Self-disowned and unpowered child of supers, now a lawyer.
* Magna (flymarrel) - Reformed magnetic villainess under therapy.
* Harry "Shield" Mackenzie (Arkrite) - Immortal Canadian supersoldier
* Darklite (EPIC) - Young and idealistic superteen
* Dr. Daniel E. Mente - Gifted psychologist with an evil nemesis
* Dr. Milo Whittman (Mechmaster) - Telekinetic physician, survivor from a supervillain attack.

Other applicants/Supporting cast:
* Tabitha Taylor (Spectrum) - Disturbed fibrokinetic fashion designer.
* Scope (ecar369) - Enhanced sniper
* Fluidity (jemal) - Escaped Apokolypsian made of fluid and merged with her sister.
Last edited by Coyotzin on Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: The LC Foundation [DCU, 3E, Interest Check)

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:47 pm

As mentioned in Skype, I'm in.

My concept: the young lawyer for the LC Foundation (or one of them anyway). Parents are Leaguers (sorta like if Wonder Woman and Superman married, but not them), and his sister is a Leaguer too. Except my man was born without powers, and honestly has a great deal of realistic reservations and a certain amount of disdain for aspects of superheroics.

In fact, he is estranged, changed his name even for that matter.
Impeach the peach!

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:07 pm

This is actually really cool and so different from anything else on the boards right now, very future foundation. I think I'll pitch a character for this.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:08 pm

I'd be down for a guest role.

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Sounds really cool so far looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 pm

I've been looking for a home for a character of mine, Magna, an ex-villain who, due to transcranial magnetic stimulation, was able to turn her life around. This might be the place for her!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Sounds like a really cool idea. I look forward to it growing further.

What kinds of 'adventures' are you looking towards? Given the wildly different types of character concepts available, are you necessarily expecting them all to be up to combat spec?

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Shock » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 pm

I find this idea very interesting.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:02 pm

The story's challenges will depend on the group's general setup: a collection of street-level heroes will handle more mundane cases, while adding more powerful characters will add more challenges. There may be combat, but there will be more investigation, social challenges and action scenes.

I'm thinking about handling this in a more episodic fashion: the heroes will handle the case of one of the guests at the Foundation per chapter, with additions by individual backgrounds and complications, and a bit of an overarching plot.

For example... there's a custody battle between a young mother taking refuge in the Foundation and her abusive ex-husband. Only her ex-husband is a top Cadmus officer, and he's more interested in the child she's expecting due to experimentations. And she's a former Arkham inmate. The group may try to investigate some dirt on the ex-husband while trying to fend off court orders, maybe one kidnapping attempt, they can break into a Cadmus lab to find out why the unborn child is so important, or experience the reality warping powers of the child as filtered by his mother, etc., all depending on what the group is equipped to handle.

Disaster relief is another possibility, with a series of action and investigation challenges.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:15 pm

As CD said, this is quite different.

I may have an idea I can pitch. A character that is (shockly for those who know my usual style) less fighty and more rounded.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Ok, this sounds fascinating...I'll think about a character...

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

How long has it been since the 'Age of Heroes' began? 1920s? WW2?

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07 pm

No complicated worldbuilding this time :)

The world is the DC universe before last year's reboot (after which I find myself reading more Marvel and Image), so there's a Golden Age, there have been Crises and also the Blackest Night.

Coyotzin
Titan
Titan

Re: The LC Foundation [DCU, 3E, Recruiting)

Postby Coyotzin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Changed the status from interest check to recruitment :)

Some additional notes:

You can create original superheroes/villains as part of your background or use established personalities of the DCU (as per the Young Injustice/Injustice Gang games :) ), within reason; for example, it's easier for non-established heroes to belong to the Justice Society or JS All-Stars than the Justice League outright. As a rule of thumb, if your background is not earth-shatteringly world-changing, you're probably fine :)

Look at the corners of the DCU for family-related narratives or those where tragedy was overcome; for example, among NPC volunteers, I'll be including Mia Dearden (Speedy, HIV carrier; street survivor), Charlotte Gage-Radcliff (Misfit; orphan and previously homeless), Evan McCulloch (Mirror Master, orphan and recovering drug-addict), Buddy Baker (Animal Man) and family, and Cat Grant (her son was murdered by Toyman). Each of their lives has been touched by awful stuff but they've found the strength to go on and help others.

I have a nose for grimdark. Grimdark is banned :)

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The LC Foundation [DCU, 3E, Recruiting)

Postby XeroKhan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Very interesting concept. I am interested. As for a character, I need to think it over on what to do.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Return to “M&M Game Room”