Justice Legion - Supers vs Aliens - OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Supers vs Aliens - Interest

Postby Bladewind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Too funny EnigmaticOne.

Okay, the OP has been altered. As an aside, something interesting in the Morituri comic which was likely for ease of writing as anything else, is that the characters got powers that sort of went with their personalities. A mousy guy might be able to shrink, a hyperactive girl might gain super-speed. The nerd with the strength of character to always make the right call might gain super-strength.

Bottom line, when choosing powers think how they will affect you. It's not like you grew up with them, they've been bonded t you based on psych evals and all kinds of mental proficiency exams...

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Supers vs Aliens - Interest

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Neat...

Question: Could I help cover the super-tech kitbash skills as a couple ranks of Variable, but with the Slow limitation? That I think would help reduce a lot of the potential abuse while giving the right variety to what Anderson could come up with. :)
Impeach the peach!

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Justice Legion - Supers vs Aliens - Recruiting

Postby Bladewind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm going to give you a tentative yes on that one. I'm tempted to say go with Inventor and "Enhanced Skills," but I'm forced to admit variable might work better...

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Bladewind wrote:I'm going to give you a tentative yes on that one. I'm tempted to say go with Inventor and "Enhanced Skills," but I'm forced to admit variable might work better...

Or maybe Inventor, Enhanced Skills, and a few basic Devices as powers? :)
Impeach the peach!

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Hmn, what manner of alien race could have access to Psychoforce energy? Because I kinda made it up... Or is there anything in DC's universe that is close to what my proposed build is capable of? (ie. FISS with psychokinetics, enhanced senses, and no weakness to green alien rocks). The character is someone who dreams of being the hero, and has a strong sense of morality. He's the guy who throws himself in harms way to save those who can't save themselves. Sort of a young paragon of humanity. (I might actually have him called Paragon).

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:27 pm

I could put Daxamites into the Alliance... :twisted:

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Daxamite works. I will need to do some more research on them, but I figure that I can rule my character's psychokinetics as an "accident" that occurs through the procedure going wrong somewhat, and while the character survived and the process was a success, his abilities were altered from the expected Daxamite genetic splice. In short, by messing up, the scientists created an even stronger hero that could throw their Daxamite foes off by surprise. I dunno, I'll work on it. Probably have it up sometime this week.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Nillaman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Bladewind, what about Growth with the Density modifier?

This removes the modifiers to Speed, Size, and Skill at no change in cost.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 pm

So how would i make my little clawed killing machine? Some sort of alien super wolf or shapeshifter style build?
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:40 pm

I think I will keep an eye on this one. Definitely interested, but I need to see how things play out on my end of things.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 am

OK, I know it's very similar to what Ken proposed, but honestly it's the only one I can think of that fits this game, and I'm really interested in trying it out:

James King was a genius, a child prodigy who graduated high school at the age of 12. Going into MIT, he quickly began making progress, finishing his triple-major in Bio-chem, Math, and Physics by 17, proving himself quite the Polymath. When the alien invasion began, he was working on upgrading to doctorates, and was waiting until the very last day to go home to Vancouver for the big 'alien meeting', so he could get as much work done as possible before they changed the world.

And so it was that he was still at school when his hometown blew up. Overwhelmed, he did what many others did, and joined the army to fight against the invaders.
In 2008, he was crippled in a fight when an invader broke his back, leaving him paralyzed. Fortunately this was one of those few combats that humans managed to win, and the defeated aliens, along with the crippled King, were taken back to the Garden.
It was there that King found out about doctor Tuolema's work, and offered his mind and newly-disabled body to the cause, wanting to help in any way he could.

Though he tried to keep up an outwardly cheery disposition, James secretly battled depression and became convinced that the work they were doing was his chance at regaining his mobility and being able to fight back.
in 2012 as they were perfecting the formula, James became one of the initial test subjects after convincing the general in charge that if the process worked and restored his legs, James' military training and advanced intellect would make him a great test 'super-soldier'.

After the graft, James found to his great disappointment that his legs still did not function, but he had gained phenomenal telekinetic powers. After a few weeks of experimentation, he was able to use his telekinesis in some interesting ways, developing a telekinetic field millimeters from his skin, giving the appearance to outsiders that he had not only regained his legs, but gained super-strength, invulnerability, and the power of flight.
Simulating these powers, he became the first super-hero developed by the program, and like the corelation between the 'justice legion' and the 'justice league', he became humanity's new hope, a real life Superman.

Only a handful of people know what his 'real' power is, and the fact that unlike the rest of the powers they've found, his superman-like portfolio of powers seems to not be representative of any of their alien invaders has given hope to the masses and worries the invaders. It would seem that none of their telekinetic aliens had thought of doing such a thing before.

Powers: The character is a Paragon type with minor telekinesis, and each of his powers (Enhanced strength/toughness/flight) are alternate effects of that telekinesis.

Instead of buying down his physical stats and then buying them back up with enhanced stats, I'm just going to have his parapelegia be a Complication that would arise if he is ever unable to use his TK to support himself. Character stats will be up soon hopefully, just need to alter the character to the appropriate PL/PP for this game.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:46 am

EnigmaticOne wrote:
Bladewind wrote:I'm going to give you a tentative yes on that one. I'm tempted to say go with Inventor and "Enhanced Skills," but I'm forced to admit variable might work better...

Or maybe Inventor, Enhanced Skills, and a few basic Devices as powers? :)

I've seen your builds, I'm willing to entertain whatever way you put it together and work from there.
The concept of Adept in Morituri

Note: I am not rehashing Morituri. I may take some names and ideas (okay, lots of ideas) from there, but there is no Morituri Effect, there is no need for a cure and although the aliens behave like the Horde there is a larger "metaplot" happening...

kenmandragon wrote:Daxamite works. I will need to do some more research on them, but I figure that I can rule my character's psychokinetics as an "accident" that occurs through the procedure going wrong somewhat, and while the character survived and the process was a success...

Daxamites are Kryptonian Class beings that are vulnerable to lead instead of Kryptonite. However, when you think of 90s era Superboy, he's a clone of Supes with a different powerset (even if it outwardly similar.)

[quote=Nillaman"]
Bladewind, what about Growth with the Density modifier? [/quote]

Are you asking if you can use Growth as a power? The answer is yes. You still get the extra two ranks without height gain.

Are you asking to write it in as Growth with Density modifier? The answer is also yes. As the two ranks are free, I don't have an issue with how you write it up. Any extras that give you more powers must be paid for.

shadow13 wrote:So how would i make my little clawed killing machine?

I'm leaning away from shapehifters. I don't want to add paranoia to the world leaders. :twisted:
How about cybernetics? Prosthetic limbs as the descriptor? If you want to add the regeneration, consider nanotech. You might com eout looking a little more like the original Warblade than Wolvie but the concept is the same.

Note: I haven't decided how or if I want to limit Regen.

Jemal wrote:OK, I know it's very similar to what Ken proposed, but honestly it's the only one I can think of that fits this game, and I'm really interested in trying it out:

I have no issues with similar proposals. Just recall that I have a fairly strong "name your poison" element going on here. The more powerful you are, the bigger the threat and the larger the chance of reprisals.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 am

So about my robot idea?....

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby McGuffin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:45 am

Hm, a fair few bricks of various descriptions being thrown around. I might go for a more Spider-girl character then. I'll try to hammer something tohether in the next couple of days.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:02 am

Small note - you might have "superhero outfits" for ceremonies and being in the public eye, but for the most part you aren't advertising who you are. Ninja suits, dark uniforms and the like are more the norm.

@McGuffin - Spidergirl type works well.

@Evolucion - I'm not sure on that one. What kind of robot are you looking at? a reprogrammed HK or Terminator type? If that's the case, what's to stop the enemy from reprogramming you again and turning you into a mole? Reverse engineered tech? What's the source tech? If you're suggesting the alliance has non-sentient mechamorphic fighters... :twisted: (no, seriously, that's beyond what I want to do)... I need a source for the robot.

Return to “M&M Game Room”