3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. Recruiting Ends Sunday

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. Recruiting Ends Sunday

Postby Plan B » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:11 am

When paranormal danger threatens international stability; they are there to restore order. When disaster leaves thousands injured, homeless, and hungry; they are there with medicine, food, and shelter. When despots use paranormal mercenaries to enforce their tyrannical agendas; they are there to stand for justice and peace. In a world where the line between right and wrong is all too often blurred, one group has dedicated itself to international cooperation and the preservation of integrity. From all around the world, these paragons have pledged themselves and their astounding abilities to this cause. They are the Vanguard.

Basic premise:
The newest team of paragons sponsored by the United Nations keeps watch to protect the world from unusual and paranormal threats. This team will be based in Europe, the first mission will be taking place in the north sea.

I'm going to start relatively simple and build upwards.

Character Requirements:
3rd edition
PL11, 165pp.
PL can be traded for PP on a 1 for 15 basis.
Brief explanation of why you have joined Vanguard.
Language: English is free to all.

Tone:
I'm going to be aiming for grey with dark patches, although this will likly depend on the group.

I am ruling damage ranked 10 or more past shall be considered lethal to non-superpowered beings, expections maybe made on case by case basis. (if it does more damage than an anti tank weapon its lethal)

Origins:
Aliens are barred (and shall not be appearing in the game)
Magic is very rare.
Most "powered" are either mutation or psionic.
Supertech devices are fine.

History:
Assumed as Real Life until 2000 when the first breakouts occured. Major events can be assumed to be the same unless stated otherwise.

I'll try and give feedback and answer questions as we go.
Last edited by Plan B on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Insert witty comment here.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Re: 3e Paragons: Vanguard Agents of PAX. Recruiting

Postby jemal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:45 am

Is knowledge of the 'paragons' setting required for this game? If not, I'd like to apply, I've got a couple concepts for a higher level game.

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:30 am

Not really.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Berior
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Berior » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:20 pm

If damage ranked 10 or more is lethal, is it possible to choose to use less than the maximum amount of power ? say if a character as a damage 12, can he chose to use damage 8 or 9 to avoid dealing lethal ?

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Yes.

I am 100% fine that, and encourage it.

Berior
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Berior » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Here is my entry

Matthew had a friend named Carl. They had known each other for years, went to school together.
The breakout, emergence of paragons accross the world took them, like everyone else, by suprise. But after a while the miraculous becomes common and when it became clear that the apocalypse, rapture or whatever else prophecy of the end didn't come to pass with the apparitions of paragons, Matthew went back to his life.

One day, Carl and Matthew went storm chasing. They did it a couple time a year, feeling the strain through the atmosphere as a tornado touched down was always an exhilariting experience. Underknowst to Matthew, Carl had second reason to go that day.

Carl was an origin chaser, ready to do anything to get a breakout and become a paragon. As such he took himself and Matthew far too close to the storm and they were suddenly caught in the path of an approaching tornado.

Matthew tried to wrestle control of the jeep from Carl but it was too late. Next thing he knew he woke up in a field a couple miles from where he was before he blacked out. He didn't have a scratch on him. He never heard from Carl again, presumed dead.

Matthew quickly discovered that he had gone trough a breakout, gaining the power of the storm for himself.
He quickly joined vanguard and did it for 2 reasons. First it gave him a chance to use his powers legaly. Second it ensured that there would always be peoples around to help him deal with his abilities should he lose control of them.

Matthew Williams

PL11/165pp

ABILITIES
Strength 14/0, Stamina 11/0, Agility 0, Dexterity 1, fighting 6, intellect 3, awareness 3, presence 1

OFFENSE
Initiative 4
Unarmed +8, close damage 14
Lightning bolt +8, ranged damage 14

DEFENSE
Dodge 8, parry 8
fortitude 11/0, toughness 14/0 (13 impervious)
will 11

ADVANTAGES
accurate attack, All out attack, extraordinary effort, improved initiative, interpose, power attack

SKILLS
close combat: unarmed 2 (+8), expertise: weather 3 (+6), insight 3 (+6), perception 7 (+10), ranged combat: lightning bolt 7 (+8)

POWERS
Avatar of the storm: dynamic array (28 points)
Power of the storm: Enhanced strength 14, dynamic (29pp)
dap: thunderbolt: Ranged damage 14, dynamic (2pp)
dap: Storm caller: Environement 7 (3 points worth), selective (chose distribution of points amongst: heat, cold, impair movement, visibility), dynamic (2pp)

Invulnerability: Enhanced stamina 11, protection 3, impervious toughness 13, immunity 10 (life support) (48pp)

Flight: Flight 8 (500 mph) (16pp)

Super strength: Enhanced strength 3, limited to lifting (lifting strength 17: 3.2 ktons) (3pp)

Features 2 (Weather features: Reamain dry, hair and clothing never mussed by wind; weather reflect emotions) (2pp)

COMPLICATIONS
Accident: When your power revolve around storms and strength, things tend to break
Phobia: Letting his powers get away from him
Temper: Weather reflect his temper

POWER POINTS
Abilities 28 + defenses 18 + advantages 6 + skills 11 + powers 102 = 165/165
Last edited by Berior on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Cool...I had an idea for a character that has stopped existing as a physical creature and can only "manifest" in other's thoughts. Permanent insubstantiality, can teleport but only to places where there's an awake mind close by, a few telepathic and telekinetic powers...how does that sound?

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:31 pm

@ Berior: At first glance looks good. I'll take a closer look to tomorrow, but back ground and theme is good.

@ Neo-Paladin: Gonna be honest i'm leery of the concept, not saying no. I'm really going take a look at it before i can say one way another.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm

I won't have the time to create the character until tomorrow, but leery why?

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Permanent insubstantial is a cause of concern.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:59 pm

The inability to affect anything physically seems like a decent enough trade-off for that, in my book, at least.

mrdent12
Overlord
Overlord

Postby mrdent12 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:13 pm

I will try to get the character up tonight as I am leaving traveling for a few days starting tomorrow (Nov 27) with limited internet access. The general overview is that he will be an exspook who worked for the CIA after his breakout. He eventually got tired of the politics and shady dealings in the company and retired. To make amends for some of the bad stuff he did, he decided to join Vanguard. Powerset wise, I am thinking a fire controller with a fire constitution replacing what you would normally expect in a person. The powers would be based loosely on a demon.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Concept

Postby Shadow13 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Name Ghost Hawk
Real Name Warren Adam Richderson
Height 5 10
Weight 165
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Green
Concept: Combat Vet, inventor who uses Military Style Combat Powered Armor.

Theme Adaptable Military Grade Power Armor, a man on a mission with high tech tools and a plan to deal with anything or he hopes.
Note I have a secret base called the shop and a AI called doc. Will post these on separate posts.

Background:

Warren joined the Marines after school. He came from a patriotic family and wanted to use the GI Bill to pay for his higher education. He was heavy into computer, robotics and advance technology. He had completed vocational training in basic electronic repair his Jr an Sr years of high school gaining a 2 yr technical degree.

While in the Marines he excelled above his peers with a cool head combined with good technical skill. He was challenged by his unit and passed the indoc for Recon. With his natural skill in fixing and understanding electronic equipment he became the radio operator for a team.

During his 2nd tour in the Middle East he survived a battle with enhanced insurgents. Due to his quick thinking, adjusting tactics against the augmented enemy force, he was able to rally the team and was able to hold the line until support came. Through luck or something more the team, the noncombatants including himself only had suffered minor wounds with no KIAs.

Warren wasn't happy with the current equipment his fellow service members had. So he decided to get out an and to make better weapons, protective equipment to keep up with the new arms race. He also wanted to update and create assisted exo frames to help people move on their own again as well as bionic limbs to help people who have lost their limbs. He completed his education in several key fields, created a company an used his experiences as a Marine to create cutting edge weapons, body armor another equipment for the military, law enforcement, security teams as well as the DoD.

His company Patriot Arms Inc. was sub contracted to be part of the Future warrior project that he began to make military grade Power Armors. He became part of a technical team that created a government rapid response team to deal with empowered groups in the US. With this research he was able to create bionic limbs and mobility suits to help people who were disabled.

It wasn't until he barely survived an attack against the Power Corps group that he noticed some of the tech the bad guys were using was some of the same technology that he and others had created in the Future Warrior project. Someone had copied then created cheap knock offs of the equipment that he created. Warren was more than just mad, this tech was created to help and to protect people not to be used to oppress and to kill people.

He used advance medical Nano technology to heal himself as he was on medical leave from that attack. During his medical leave he created advance model Nano Power suit that could handle about anything out there. The weapon systems he created had a mix of non-lethal options to advance kinetic energy ballistic systems that was above and beyond what other people were using. After every encounter he would update and tinker with tactical computer program so if he faced the same person or group again he would have counter measures ready. He created an adaptable system in his suit that would give him different tactical options in combat. Enhanced Kinetic augment system to make him hit an lift more or a tactical kinetic field that would allow him to lift n carry allot, enhanced reflexes, stealth abilities, or reactive shielding that can handle just about anything he has been shot or hit with to date.

Warren now has a mission. Find out who is behind the Black Market selling of the tech to the criminal’s n other groups. Stop and neutralize the groups who are out there with augmented abilities with the stolen tech. Ensure Law enforcement, military an medical fields are getting the tech they need to save n protect people.

Enemies of Note:

The Dr- Head of project Chimera ( super solider branch of Future Warrior project.) Uses various groups worldwide radical militias, mercenary’s to common street thugs to field test technology he has copied. His goal is to create the perfect solider.

Combative Elite 5- The Dr’s super Elite of trained mercs with the top notch nano, gene therapy augments. each one is highly skilled and powerful; when they are together they are nearly unstoppable.

Various augmented militias, gangs, merc teams around the world. These people are always hired, enhanced to take him down by several criminal organizations or Warlords he has taken out.

Several dirty political figures an organized crime, drugs weapon dealers who he has put away or out of business.

Rivals
Power Corps- Power Armor team that he has worked with or against depending on his mission. They are a Government back team in military grade Power Armor that he helped create.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

Atomickat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Atomickat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Looking good so far. I've an idea for a mad scientist of sorts. He's investigated the deepest murky secrets of science and the paranormal, and peered just a little too far...

CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby CaptainChaos » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:06 pm

Sounds interesting. I have a couple of ideas for submissions.

Return to “M&M Game Room”