[3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
User avatar
Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 854
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

[3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby Moira » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 am

Sleeping Fort is a crossroads town. It used to be, as it says in it's name a fortress. Specifically an orc stronghold, but no more. After a long and bloody battle the fort was torn down. Few remnants of the steel and wood instillation remain. Enough to catch a traveller's eye though.

Throughout Sleeping Fort you can find many tents. The sturdier tent are business and homes. the weaker ones are squatters. Still, like every town, there is one building everyone can count on. The Tavern. The Drunk Nymph is not a "good" tavern per se. Sure the drinks are par, but few come their for the drinks. Most people are in here for one reason. Work. Not bartending or barwenching. The Drunk Nymph attracts "adventurers" (if you're in a good mood) and "mercenaries" (if you want a dagger lodged in you somewhere). All of them looking for quick coin.

It's midday. the tavern is sort of empty. Bartender is there. Few serving wenches chatting up the patrons and earning their coin their own way. A dwarf with a scar across his eye sits in a dark corner. A young woman, clearly distressed, orders drinks at the bar and gives the bartender the stinkeye when he suggests she slow down. A trio plays darts and are conversing about their travels. All the while an elven woman with a lute sings a haunting melody of tales of former heroes, all ending tragically. Still sounds beautiful though.

This is where we begin out story. Your character is in the Drunk Nymph for some reason or another. Looking for work and traveling though are common ideas, but don't let that straight jacket you. Make up something if you wish, The gaggle of patrons I've set up are there for interaction. They could be contacts or plot hooks depending on how you do said interactions.

If you have questions, ask!
RIP Angel 1989-2011

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby drothgery » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:44 am

Lady Lillian Firestorm
HP: 1 Condition: Fine


A human woman in her mid-twenties walked in, her robes so lacking in grime and dirt that it had to be an enchantment (and indeed it was). She looked surprised to see someone, but approached the dwarf nonetheless.

"Tellan, I thought I'd heard you had made enough to cover your clan's debts and were going home." She said.

"And I thought you had sworn never to be involved in anything 'disreputable' again after Highcastle. Yet here you are." The dwarf said.

"And as soon as restock my supply of alchemical silver, I'll teleport out of this dump, pay off a few overly stuffy wizards for using a guild circle, and look for another adventure some place cleaner. Where's your brother?"

"He wasn't arguing with the clan elders, or suggesting that given that he'd gotten the clan out of its financial mess, he ought to have more to say with how things were run in the future. And you know as well as anyone I've never been one to take orders or much good without an axe in my hand."
Last edited by drothgery on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Rothgery
long time lurker, only recent poster ...
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

User avatar
ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby ClassDunce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:01 am

Secarius Lirian
HP: 1 Condition: Broke

Secarius ordered a drink from the flirtatious barmaid as he took a seat in the poorly lit room. He spun the bone ring around his finger as he looked over the room. He was in an odd situation, on the run from the last of the Last Laugh thieves’ guild and their new leader Etienne Velandes, and very nearly broke. He couldn’t afford to buy his way onto another Caravan for sure but he had enough coin to eat for a few days before he started to get desperate.

Sure he had options. He could get a job but Secarius never really developed the taste for honest work and to be 100% honest he wasn’t really qualified for it. There was always theft… Burglary would be preferable to robbery. But he had zero knowledge of the town or community that he was in and he had no clue if there was a guild in charge of Sleeping Fort. After the barmaid finally brought him his drink, which smelled strongly of soured yeast, he gave her a smile that made the young woman blush before she scurried off.

With a shake of his head he continued to survey the bar when he finally saw her. A woman with sad eyes drowning herself in booze at the bar. Secarius picked up his drink and walked over to take the stool right next to her.

“Hi, I’m Secarius.” He took a sip of his beer and cringed at the sour taste of it. Yeah it wasn’t finished fermenting or it was just off. “Are you from Sleeping Fort or just passing through?”
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

User avatar
Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 854
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby Moira » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:42 am

ClassDunce wrote:“Hi, I’m Secarius.” He took a sip of his beer and cringed at the sour taste of it. Yeah it wasn’t finished fermenting or it was just off. “Are you from Sleeping Fort or just passing through?”


The woman shook her head with a gruff grunt. "No one's from Sleeping Fort," she said looking at her glass with contempt, "Sure you get people staking their mark here." She looked at Secarius with a a smile as sour as the drink he quaffed and then shook her head again returning to drink. "Though seriously, who stakes their livelihood in a broken down orc camp? This ain't gonna be anything else than a broken down orc camp." She waves over the bartender and puts a blood red coin down. You know this to be traveler currency. "People come here to throw their lives into the hands of some petty people who can't do something themselves."

If you stick around for the whole diatribe, give me a Perception roll
RIP Angel 1989-2011

User avatar
ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby ClassDunce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:00 am

Secarius Lirian
HP: 1 Condition: Fine



Secarius listened to the woman who didn’t offer her name and just let her talk. Venting was important and while a person was venting they usually said things that they would keep a little more guarded than they normally would. His eyes passed over the coin but they didn’t linger for too long as he continued to watch the bar out of the corner of his eye, a woman being far too loud having a conversation with a dwarf was interesting but he was careful not to let the drinking woman see his attention elsewhere.

“I can’t argue against your logic.” Secarius smiled softly and caught her attention long enough to look her right in the eyes. “I guess you don’t plan on being here for long then? I’m hoping to leave as soon as I can scratch up a little coin but that might take a few minutes…”
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

User avatar
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 9984
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 am
Contact:

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby EPIC » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:18 am

Avelyn
(Princess Lapis Cerulea of Arcea)
HP: 1 // Condition: Normal

Avelyn wasn't sure when she decided to walk through Sleeping Fort rather than around, but lo and behold she found herself walking among the tents, the hood of her white cloak drawn up with her long white hair bundled into the hood, with a long lock of her bangs hanging forward and her magic cloth styled in the fashion of the priestess robes of the Silver Lady, her silver pendant with the Lady's symbol resting on her chest as she passed herself off for the moment as a mere priestess, rather than a warrior.

She paused outside the tavern, wrinkling her nose at the name of the place, yet as she got a glimpse of the inside while a new patron walked in, Avelyn follows the man in. This tavern held it's fair share of travelers by the looks of their garb, and it was possible a few of them might be adventurers.

Pulling her hood back once inside, letting her long hair spill down her back, she scans the room with her blue eyes. <Might I find some diamond in the rough in this place Lady..?> ... No answer, well, that was normal. The Lady spoke in actions. <Oh well...at least I can get a drink and some food before I set out if this place holds nothing of note for me..>

The woman in all white with silver moves to sit at the bar, her cloak pushing back to display the two ornate, ivory hilt-like pieces hanging from her thin belt, one on each side. In a place like this, a woman like her wearing all that white and displaying a hold symbol drew attention of all sorts, and that was really the intention. A priestess of the Silver Lady was a solid ally to any adventuring party.

She waits for the bartender to make his round and raises her hand slightly to get his attention, setting a few coins before her on the bar. "Barkeep, do you have any wines among your menu? If not, then perhaps a sweet mead?" While the barkeep turned to get her drink, Avelyn's blue eyes scanned the crowd again, picking out the lady having her conversation with her drawven friend, as well as the handsome man a few seats down the bar lending an ear to the downtrodden woman sharing her story.

User avatar
deathsap
Cohort
Cohort
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 am

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby deathsap » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Sun Knight Keldorn of Sun Father
Keldorn is noticed as soon as he got close to Sleeping Fort, his large build, shield and huge mace made him stand out but the Golden Armour that seems to glow was what people noticed. A few people notice the holy symbols engraved in the armour but the heavy armour made of gold is what people notice. Keldorn takes his time to spending his morning to check on the "squatters" offering medical treatment to any who need it and offers a free lunch for anyone needing of one.
Treatment 1d20+10=27 Just doing one role for helping the sick.

After giving treatment to the sick Keldorn leads a small drove of people to the Drunk Nymph, he enters first taking off his helmet revealing a soft face looking man and headed to the bartender with the dishevelled drove following behind he gives a coin purse to the bartender.
Keldorn: Kind sir could you please feed these people and take what you need from that
Keldron notices the priestess and gives her a nod of acknowledgement and sits at the bar and asks for something "refreshing" to drink.
Good Luck!

User avatar
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:06 am

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby Sriseru » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:30 am

Sihanis the Vagabond Dragoness
HP: 1 - Condition: Fine

Sihanis lands away from the Sleeping Fort before shifting into her human form, turning into a slender, beautiful human woman with long, raven black hair, golden yellow eyes, and skin as pale as snow, dressed in a black robe.

The woman, who looks to be in her early twenties, then venture into town and as she does, Sihanis notice that a few people are staring at her. This is normal though, her human form tend to have an unnatural air about it, yet the attention Sihanis is drawing is preferable to the kind her true form would attract.

Sihanis strokes her silver scale necklace for good luck before stepping inside the Drunk Nymph.

She looks around at the crowd, noting a few who look like either adventurers or mercenaries, before taking a seat away from the man in the golden armor.

"Give me a pint of your finest ale." Sihanis smiles at the barkeep before handing him a gold piece.

As she waits for her drink, Sihanis turns to the man with the seemingly glowing golden armor and notes the holy symbols engraved on it. "That's a very beautiful set of armor. Tell me, do all Knights of the Sun Father receive armor like yours?"

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby Ysariel » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:32 pm

A paladin, a priestess and a dark lord walk into a bar...

No, seriously. That's really how it all started.

This tale I'm about to tell you is widely considered bad fanfiction written by sycophants of the Lady Una the dread and terrible, so I guess a joke or two in poor taste can't damage my credibility further. Officially, history records that Una died some time after Yr 286 in the torture chambers of the Dark Tower. If she'd managed to escape, scholars say, she would've immediately sought out new allies: the orc tribes surrounding Kaazgard, the demon sorcerors of the 7th circle, or the Tyrant-Duke Verdane, perhaps -- and marched on the Shadow Throne to reclaim it. No such thing happened, hence she never escaped. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Yet truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Consider this. Una had been a loyal practitioner of Dark Lord traditions such as assassination, torture, mass murder, and miscellanous cruelty, and yet for all her skill at them she lost everything she had to a whim of her father. She must have been acutely aware of how easily it was to lose the Shadow Throne once her miniskirted ass was seated on it. It's entirely possible that she came to realize the ways of the Dark Lords, the Shadow Scions of Kaazgard, were -- in modern parlance -- unsustainable.

Given her entirely pragmatic disposition, is it really so absurd that she might abandon her old, unsuccessful ways? That she would seek success through a tried-and-true path, that of the wandering adventurer?

Go mull that over if you don't want to listen, because I'm getting on with my story. A paladin, a priestess and a dark lord walk into a bar -- a dark lord on the first steps of her journey towards wealth and power.
Last edited by Ysariel on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon
Posts: 3473
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby Ysariel » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Una
Condition: Normal / HP: 1

Una pushes open the rickety door of the Drunken Nymph and sees at once the knight of the Sun Father and the priestess of the Silver Lady. Well, isn't this a good start to my day, she thinks.

Walking back out immediately would be far too suspicious, using magic is out of the question, and besides, Una really does want to try and find a worthwhile project to pursue here. It's been some time since she was last in a morally grey shithole like this where people had just the right balance of coin and desperation to be of interest to a budding young adventurer with some unorthodox methods.

So instead she walks right up to the cleanest-looking person in sight, a human woman in her twenties, very pretty, but she's a girl and thus not Una's type. She's wearing robes that are completely spotless. Given the mud on the road outside, that probably means it's enchanted, which means she's probably fairly wealthy.

"Hey," Una says in her friendliest tone, accosting the lady in question while keeping a wary eye on the two churchies in the tavern. "Do you happen to be looking for adventurers? Mercenaries?"
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

User avatar
deathsap
Cohort
Cohort
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 am

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby deathsap » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Sun Knight Keldorn of Sun Father
Keldorn is slightly taken back by the womans eyes and pale skin.
Keldorn: Oh, no this is a one of a kind my dear lady. Are you by any chance a follower of the Sun Farther?
Keldorn looks for any signs the woman might be some sort undead apart the pale skin.
I guess there is no point making a roll :P
Good Luck!

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby drothgery » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Lady Lillian Firestorm
HP: 1 Condition: Fine


Ysariel wrote:"Hey," Una says in her friendliest tone, accosting the lady in question while keeping a wary eye on the two churchies in the tavern. "Do you happen to be looking for adventurers? Mercenaries?"

The bard had finished one tale and begun another; after a few lines, Lillian recognized the most famous version of the last battle of the Flame Blade Company. Maybe the elf had recognized her. But maybe not; her parents' adventures were quite well known, and made good stories.

"I'm looking for work myself, actually." Lillian said. "Not that I'm broke, but I have a bit of a temporary lack of coin. I umm... lost... most of my spending coin and my alchemical silver yesterday before I could teleport back to Delastaran. I don't suppose you have a line on anything, Tellan?" She asks the dwarf.

"So you'd be willing to work with me again after all, then?" He said. "But no, I've not found anyone in need of a good axe of yet. Perhaps a sorceress would fare better?"

"I'll let you know." She told her old friend.
Dave Rothgery
long time lurker, only recent poster ...
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

User avatar
Sriseru
Zealot
Zealot
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:06 am

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby Sriseru » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Sihanis the Vagabond Dragoness
HP: 1 - Condition: Fine

Sihanis briefly eyes the purple-haired girl entering the tavern before returning her attention to the knight of the Sun Father.

"No, I'm not a follower." She replies. "I'm simply someone who tends to run into necromancers and the undead, so naturally my path tends to cross those of the Sun Father's adherents. I've fought alongside several clerics and lent my aid to a few priests of your god in my time as an adventurer."

User avatar
Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 854
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby Moira » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Secarius

You notice there's scroll cases on the woman's belt next to her traveler's coin pouch. They're not any regular magical scrolls though, black covers with red notches. You know these to be assassins orders, finished ones at that. The woman nods when he mentions the coin. "Tell you what, adventurer. My name is Ellira. If you're looking for a job I'll be leaving out of here after I finish this drink. Accompany me to my tent so we can talk over a deal?"

Avelyn

A few confused heads swing your way as you talk. One of the dart players stares longer than usual, but you don't see understanding in his eyes. He goes back to the board with his brothers-in-arms. When you move to the bar and ask for a drink you can hear two conversing about potential work, though it seems they be leaving soon. The bartender nods his head after you make your order. "Our 'exotic' fair hasn't been here for weeks. We got ale. Food is pig or chicken. Or both if'n ya got the coin." He smiles brightly as if he hasn't seen anyone ever order the pig or chicken.

Keldorn
Word around town travels quickly for the free healing that's going around. You get a few disdainful healers looking at you funny, but they are drown out by the more cheerful healed folks. After a while you get a small crowd following you. mainly kids with nothing better to do than watch you perform your miracles. Your followers stop at the door of the Drunk Nymph, but a few teenage swooners follow you in. The bartender was about to yell for the kids to get out but after the pouch of coin hits the bar he saves his air. "Pig and chicken for you all," he laughs. He yells for the wenches to be on their best behaviour and start bringing the food tot he front.

Sihanas

You have come into what seems like a festive type atmosphere. Keldorn's admirers are digging into what looks like some kind of meat. It smells of poultry and cattle, but you and anyone around here knows that the food is not actual pig and chicken. Edible, but not real. A barwench smiles and brings you your ale. "A real gold coin," she says with a gasp, trying to be friendly, "Thanks for cutting out the middle man!" She scurries back to the kitchen.

So far so good guys.

Secarius, make an Insight check.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

User avatar
ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 7372
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: [3e Fantasy] The Old Ways

Postby ClassDunce » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Secarius Lirian
HP: 1 Condition: Not that broke...



Moira wrote:"Tell you what, adventurer. My name is Ellira. If you're looking for a job I'll be leaving out of here after I finish this drink. Accompany me to my tent so we can talk over a deal?"


The best Assassins knew how to not look like Assassins and Secarius knew this since he was technically an Assassin himself. Technically. Now if Babette knew that Secarius was even considering following a pretty Assassin girl back to her tent she would've taken him him out behind the Fancy Lady and beat him with wooden knives until he rethought all his major life choices. Of course this Assassin was wearing her orders right on her belt so she wasn't blending in as well as she could be...

"How are you even finishing that drink?" Secarius frowned as he looked down at his own cup. Sitting next an Assassin made him lose any interest in drinking or eating around her anyway. "It's thick as stew and... just not good..."
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer


Return to “M&M Game Room”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest