(Interest/Recruitment) Aberrant style game? (3E/PL 8)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Re: (Interest) Aberrant/Paragons style game? (3E/PL 6-8)

Postby levinwurth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 am

ClassDunce wrote:I would totally pitch a character application for this if you decide to do it. The idea that comes to me right away is an Omega Weather Controller. Loosely based on Jon Moxley.

I'm definitely doing it if I can garner enough interest.

By all means pitch your character concept and history, and it should probably spark enough for me to fill in some gaps which should enable you to flesh it out more. I'm conscious I don't just want to retype all the Aberrant setting books chapter and verse, and am trying to keep it all "what the public know" and then give each player additional information according to their character backgrounds.

Also... Jon Moxley?
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 am

I'm interested, probably going to pitch a mildly tainted social brick.
    Insert witty comment here.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:49 am

Plan B wrote:I'm interested, probably going to pitch a mildly tainted social brick.

I'm glad someone brought that up - I'll be using the Taint and Surge rules from Paragons. Don't have my books to hand (and I'll be posting up the essentials later for anyone who doesn't have the book), but I'll also allow extra PP at creation that you can take as Taint.
Active Characters

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 am

levinwurth wrote:Also... Jon Moxley?

Sorry I should think before I post. Nobody knows who the hell Jon Moxley is lol.

Well most people probably know him as Dean Ambrose in the WWE but before he was Ambrose he was Jon Moxley in the American Independent promotions. Probably one of the most interesting characters in professional wrestling in the past decade. I can post some videos of his promos if you're interested.

Watch a few seconds of a match before you get to the promo.

Just something funny.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 am

What are we meant to be doing in this anyway?
    Insert witty comment here.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am

You're doing whatever it is you think your character would be doing, but the campaign is going to kick off at a private party hosted by Count Orzaiz. Of course by 'private' I mean 'Novas and celebrities have been invited and the N! Channel is covering nearly every square inch of the place'.

Note that you don't need a reason for an invite, you just need a reason to be there. I'm happy to work with players once they've worked up a character background as to why they might be there.
Active Characters

Arknight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Arknight » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 am

Interested for sure. :)

I just need to ponder the concept and will post something soon....

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Masks, Codenames and 'Secret' Identities

There are several reasons why someone with superpowers would actually don a mask and a cape before they step out the door. Primarily, Novas do it because it creates a brand and an image from which to licence and sell marketing opportunities. A lot of famous Novas have lunchboxes, action figures and T-shirts with their likeness. Companies like Invictus and Indigo have been most successful at this, due to their clout and being able to hire extensive teams of stylists, marketers and lawyers to create the most attention-grabbing public personas and then defending those rights to the hilt.

In the golden age of comic books, a superhero's mask protected their identity; it allowed them to operate under the radar and to protect their loved ones from enemies who wished to do them harm vicariously. Novas who think along the same lines find it incredibly hard to follow suit. The world's media are relentless with digging for information on the secret identities of costumed Novas, and the only thing that tends to block them is the legal might of a powerful sponsor.

Whether they choose to don knee-high boots and a cape or tool around in jeans and a T-shirt, something invaluable to nearly every Nova was the creation of Eufiber. Released to the public in 2009, the fabric has the strength of silk and is as easy to work with as cotton. It has conductive qualities and designers have had some success 'programming' the eufiber using technical wizardry to display different colours and designs at the flick of a switch.

In truth, Eufiber is a living culture able to empathetically bond with a Nova. This makes a Nova's Eufiber immune to his powers. The bond has extended in the past to create a degree of protection as the Eufiber 'flinches' against incoming blows. A few select Novas have developed a deeper bond with their Eufiber and made it something of a signature - shifting the form it takes from guard's uniform to wingsuit to Little Black Dress to infiltrate a private party, for instance.
Active Characters

Arknight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Arknight » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:33 am

For your game, is there a Church of St. Michael? I have this rough idea of the son of a church leader who erupted with a form that can be mistaken for 'Angelic'. As a result, his father disowned him and pressed church members to be on the lookout for or purify the 'blasphemous demon nova'

Thoughts?

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:56 am

Yes, I'd be willing for there to be a Church of Michael Archangel! I'll do a short 'public' writeup later so that players unfamiliar with Aberrant will know what they're about.
Active Characters

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:28 pm

The Church of Michael Archangel

Gaining significant traction in the public consciousness since the founding of the church in 2010, In a radical departure from the general consensus, the Church denounce Novas as heretics, witches and aberration. Most people disregard them as nutjobs and cranks, but determined opponents find them surprisingly well-funded and politically connected.

Their Internet sites, press releases and televised sermons speak of a holy war on the horizon; for now it's only organisations like Invictus and law enforcement agencies that are taking them seriously, though with religiously-motivated events like 9/11 still all-too-recent in people's memories no-one wants them to make good on their threats.
Active Characters

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Re: (Interest/Recruitment) Aberrant style game? (3E/PL 8)

Postby levinwurth » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:02 pm

I've added a few mechanics to the first post, and also changed this to a Recruitment thread. Power Level will be PL8, and I am allowing characters an additional 10 PP so long as they take the same amount of Taint.
Active Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:11 pm

This looks pretty cool, but since this seems to be based on "real world" I am curious what kind of power ranges you want.

Do you want guys who can run around the world in a flash, or just barely able to keep up with a train?

Bench a car? Or a bench the moon?

I get you want PL 8, which usually is used for low level games, but, with the right number crunch, even a PL 8 can destroy the world in a single action.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Hound wrote:I get you want PL 8, which usually is used for low level games, but, with the right number crunch, even a PL 8 can destroy the world in a single action.

*groans*
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm

ClassDunce wrote:
Hound wrote:I get you want PL 8, which usually is used for low level games, but, with the right number crunch, even a PL 8 can destroy the world in a single action.

*groans*

Classdunce, if you have seen any of my characters, you know I never create characters who can do everything and destroy the world with a wink.... with the exception of that one super villain i was told to make that had almost 300 power points...

I am asking this because I want to know if he wants guys like... Toad, he can cling to walls, shoot sticky spit, and launch his 2 meter long tongue, super agile, but that's it. One bullet to the head and he's dead, and he can't destroy a moped, much less a city or the world.

Or if he wants guys like Colossus who are bullet proof, and, in canon, walked down to the bottom of the ocean, and CARRIED a nuclear submarine, that had been damaged and stranded, on his back to safety. He could go full wreaking back and destroy a city in an hour, and not even a nuclear bomb would stop him, but he still can't wreak the world.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Return to “M&M Game Room”