(Interest/Recruitment) Aberrant style game? (3E/PL 8)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: (Interest/Recruitment) Aberrant style game? (3E/PL 8)

Postby Moira » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Hound, Aberrant is a White Wolf game. If you are any kind of powerful, you're probably three seconds from death or something worse ;)
RIP Angel 1989-2011

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Hound:

As a guideline.

Power wise I'm going to say Spiderman villain level.
    Insert witty comment here.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 am

Hound wrote:This looks pretty cool, but since this seems to be based on "real world" I am curious what kind of power ranges you want.

Do you want guys who can run around the world in a flash, or just barely able to keep up with a train?

Bench a car? Or a bench the moon?

I get you want PL 8, which usually is used for low level games, but, with the right number crunch, even a PL 8 can destroy the world in a single action.

First of all, I'll be selecting characters for the game that look interesting, rather than what their powers are. Write an interesting character with plenty of hooks, and powers come second.

Secondly the characters aren't operating in a bubble - there's enough opportunity for me to bring in Novas that are able to deal with your powers if they become a problem.
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 am

I certainly like to show interest, but it'd be the first time I pitch a character concept here, so I might be missing a few things here and there.

My current thoughts are on a telepathic character with some social skills; I'd probably start off with rather low-key abilities (minor mind reading, mind control and mental communication) but with some quickly growing potential (mental illusions, psychic projections).

As for the character background I have a few idea snippets that might be interesting (when taken together obviously):

Edit: (Ideas in a quote, got a more fleshed-out version following it; note that I am also not married to the idea, I have a few others I can bounce around, but it's a bit difficult to go beyond the "character oneliner")

Aftermath of the Cold War
Everyone knows that in fictional universes, there were some minor successes in the psychic experiments performed by the Soviet Union and their allies. However, this particular family line didn't show any particular ability and eventually was released from the program (take that how you will).

It wasn't until 2008 that the latent mental abilities manifested themselves in the offspring of those involved in the program - and led quite quickly to the character's swift and subtle incarceration for study. Of course, those pesky Human Rights laws did prevent the most extensive research to be committed to, but at least some results were made (and damage done).

The character's most likely in college at the time it all started, or at least a (young) adult at the campaign start, making a good negotiator, producer, writer or therapist.

Bonus points: Double Trouble
The character is actually a set of twins; apart they are of lower PL, but together they rank to full. (So for instance PL 6 twins that are PL 8 when working together. Where twins normally have the eerie habit of finishing each others' sentences, these two finish other people's sentences and while having two conversations at once!

Edit: The traditional number is 3 (as in the Stepford Cuckoos, they cut it down to three for this reason) because that creates the standard council-type hive mind with 2 opinions and 1 tie breaker. With only 2, this means a character with greater internal conflict and less ability to make decisions. It might be smoother to go with 3, but easier to play with 2. It might be a good idea to stick with a 3rd "surprise" sister in case two proves hard to play.

Bathroom Psych-away (tm)
Most people think that psychics are sweet little flowers hiding in the bathroom, projecting their spirits. While that certainly is a possibility, who'd do that when you can hide right under their noses and show them up! (Complication: thrill seeker/curious, and ill-equipped for it)
When it's absolutely stupid not to do so, tele-conference on the moon or such, then you project. If only to save on space-bus fare.

Project Поддерживать Патруля (Podderzhivat Patrulya, Maintain Overwatch) was a cold war period Soviet experiment in psychic powers and mind control. Through hypnosis and drug treatments, the Russian government sought to enhance the abilities of those citizens they had marked as “latent psychics” for use in long-distance communications, radar, and espionage in case of the failure of technological equipment due to nuclear EMP.

While there were no indications of any real breakthroughs, for more than two decades the program continued on, each time due to the promise of some minor success, or additional support from the political party. Finally, with the fall of the Berlin wall and the slow end of the cold war, so did the program come to a close.

The project’s legacy would be a number of children, now placed anonymously with adoptee parents through a welfare program, called “Katyas” and “Alexeis” after the unimaginative children’s names they were given. These children would grow up and lead their normal lives. They saw the modernization of Russia’s urban core, the slow decline of communism, and the rise of the glamorous new Moscow jet-set.

The world would see yet another change, however, with the rise of Novas. Now, it’s not easy to say whether the government program did actually have any effects, or whether it was because its operators actually managed to get a few hits when selecting “latent psychics”, but it turns out that quite a few of these Katyas and Alexeis did undergo an eruption and develop Nova powers.

Twin sisters in the heart of Moscow, embracing the new quick and jaded life of the modern well-to-do middle-upper society, suffered routine migraines, paranoia and issues with identity. Not uncommon in today’s youth, except theirs would lead into a full-scale eruption under dubious circumstances.

Here, things got sketchy as politics, some modern “interest” organizations, physicians and psychiatrists muddled the paper trail. Safe to say, the two girls underwent a traumatizing experience which they managed to escape (either on their own or with outside help) and are now learning to deal with their new-found “unique assets”.

In short: a set of psychic twins that share a mental connection and grow stronger when they are close together. Sociable, manipulative and with a hint of instability caused by their powers that might evolve along with the campaign's growth. May or may not involve the color pink in judicious quantities.

(what can I say, I am a sucker for Saturn Girl and the Cuckoos)

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 am

The concept is certainly very interesting; can't wait to see how you implement it on a sheet!
Active Characters

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:49 am

Yeah, working on the core concept. It's not an easy thing to model; I am building a few options at the moment. One idea is to work from a "disembodied, incorporeal hive mind" and treat the bodies as extensions of the Hive Mind. A second idea is to work from the "onlooker perspective" and simply make a character with identical sidekicks.

Since both build ideas are fairly expensive, this means that you end up with a nest of telepaths who, taken together, are very nasty. But individually they are not so tough and of course, most physical stats suffer meaning that a straight-up fight is a bad idea.

For this reason I am building a back-up plan, based on a single character/body instead. Might be a cop-out but if I cannot find the time or the points to get the concept worked out properly, better to have a staple telepath then no telepath at all.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:45 am

There was a power in 2nd Edition called Gestalt which is sort-of-but-not-really like what you're creating - there was also an NPC in the Paragons book called Proxy; she's a duplicator but possesses a mental shield that grows in power with her number of duplicates. You might want to look at either of those to see if it offers any inspiration.
Active Characters

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:40 am

I hereby present to the approval of the midnight society...doh, wrong programme. Either way, here's my first attempt at capturing a telepathic hive mind in stats: Sixpence (The Penny Dreadfuls)

The Penny Dreadfuls will initially be weaker than the average Nova (on top of being purely Telepathic without military background or the like) but because there are three of them, they will have a stronger ramp-up.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 pm

I noticed this on one the recruitment board.. but it's been quiet for a while.

I have an idea for a very diplomacy oriented campaign that would require a lot of effort and a goodly effort from the players. The basic premise is that a recently emerged high charisma nova could be used by any of the in game organizations to seriously make a dent in the social perceptions of the world. He's a political game breaker... and he's invited representatives from each group to tour with him and given the opportunity to sway him to their side.

Is there enough interest for me to put my time into it? At this point, it'll be Spring 2014 before the game starts.

levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot

Postby levinwurth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:13 pm

I'd be interested, but it's impossible to know if I'll still be interested by Spring 2014...
Active Characters

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:22 am

Likewise, but it'd indeed be a long way off so by then it might be a better idea to start over on interest checks/recruiting. This thread has been quiet for a while, indeed, but then a lot of games have been started recently, haven't they?

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:31 am

If last year is a good basis, then there will be a week or three pause in new games after the new year.

Return to “M&M Game Room”