Joker the Immortal #1: "Invasion of the Dollotrons"

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Joker the Immortal #1: "Invasion of the Dollotrons"

Postby XeroKhan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:47 pm

It was a mid-summer's afternoon in Metropolis. The sun was starting to set over the vast city. The streets are lined with criminals and thugs alike, destroying the peace that once held this city. This new Metropolis was under the Dictatorship of an Immortal Joker.

LexCorp was a still-living corporation due to its vast militaristic technologies they produce. Many of the staff have learned to protect themselves from Joker's forces through the use of LexCorp's weaponry. Many who have escaped the desolation of Metropolis have taken shelter in LexCorp, one of who is Kal-El, also known by all as Superman. He and Alexander Luthor, Superman's arch nemesis and the genius owner of LexCorp, had set up a form of coded radio frequency to gather heroes from all over the continent that were in hiding to dethrone the Joker and take him out permanently. This may seem extreme to Kal-El, but it was the best way to save mankind from the ultimate of mad men.

The frequency was first set up and sent over a year ago, and few have arrived in Metropolis. A couple were familiar faces. The first being Nightwing (a.k.a. Dick Greyson), the first Robin to the deceased Batman. He definitely knew what he was getting into, for Joker was one of the many first enemies Nightwing ever faced. The second was Black Canary (a.k.a. Dinah Lance), who wanted to get revenge for her husband's (Dinah's husband was Green Arrow) murder. The last two were Castellan and Archon, two who were first getting into the hero business.

The four arrived at LexCorp. Each one had an agenda for eliminating Joker from his position. As these four approached the massive building complex, they were greeted by Kal-El, who they recognized from his voice over the radio frequency. Greeting everyone. It seems you are the only ones who have accepted my call." the Man of Steel said to the heroes. Although he has no scars upon him, Kal-El's own suit was battered and torn here and there, revealing that he had fought for his life. "Do you lot have any questions before I introduce to you the plan?"

Some RP time. Everyone starts with 1 Hero Point. You are all still outside LexCorp's entrance.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Teafo
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Joker the Immortal #1: "Invasion of the Dollotrons"

Postby Teafo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Black Canary (Dinah Lance)
HP: 1
Condition: Happy for the first time in quite a while

The roar of her engine hummed in Dinah's ears as she shot down the streets of Metropolis on her way to the LexCorp building. It seemed strange that after all these years seeing her friend and mentor, Superman, teaming with their long time nemesis -- Lex Luthor. But she had seen the Joker Goons destroying the country, she had seen the terror they spread. She knew it was always a with-me-or-against-me mantra they preached. And so many people had decided to join them to save themselves, and then just lose themselves in the toxins they got pulled into taking. Then Lex's men stood up to them, she saw someone who fought back and started to actually win the occasional fight. Granted they were now backed into a corner at LexCorp, but the signal had been Superman's voice, and that was enough for her.

The building loomed into view and she could see the shining paragon of Metropolis standing outside the main gates waiting for them. The smile on Superman's face was enough to crack her usual sour demeanor that she carried since Oliver's death. She smiled back and killed the motorcycle's engine.

"It's really you!" Dinah jumps from the bike and runs to Kal-El, throwing her arms around his neck in greeting, "I almost didn't believe it, but it was your voice. I knew if someone was going to stop all this madness, you would be on the front lines. Just like old times, well almost," she let the thought trail away, as she looked around at the few that were arriving, and remembered how many there were in the days of the JLA and JSA. "Do you really think we can do it?"

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Castellan
HP 1
Condition: Emotionless

Emerging from the shadows nearby Lex Corp headquarters Castellan silently watches as Black Canary arrives to meet with Superman, she steps up nearby them as they chat.

Castellan remains silent, having no immediate questions and wanting to take advantage of the moment to unobtrusively observe her companions and examine her surroundings; taking advantage of her helmet's ability to screen her face to aid her in this task.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 pm

NIGHTWING
Condition: Guarded

Grayson strode to the gates with a slight smile on his face, but his head on a swivel. Despite being the presence of the one man in world he respected as much as Bruce Wayne, and at maybe the safest place left in America, he remained on constant alert. Old habits die hard.

He wanted to believe that this was going to work. This small group against The Joker? Even with the most powerful man in the world, and amazingly, the smartest man in the world supporting them, he didn't see the odds in their favor. But after 15 years of waiting, he wasn't about to let this opportunity pass, no matter how small the chance for success was. He would make this work. He would see The Joker meet his end, period.

He reached out to shake Superman's hand, once the Man of Steel escaped Dinah's embrace. "I only have one question, old friend. What the hell took you so long?"
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Archon
HP: 1 Condition: New Guy

John sat in the small, dingy alcove of his Toronto apartment, ignoring the loud calls of voices outside and below, and the incessant arguments over the network TV stations. “Toronto Is Under Attack,” “Bering Strait Frozen Solid - Soldiers On the March,” “Crime Rates Rising,” “Riots in Victoria,” “UN Conference in Sweden to Discuss Nuclear Options,” etc etc. The headlines began to look the same after they had been playing for years. Sighing, John moused over the little window on the dusty computer screen in front of him, closing the tab with the story he had been writing, a little piece about the unethical and unjust implications of a nuclear bombardment of Washington, District of Joker.

He grasped about for a connector wire. Finding it, he plugged it into the computer, and messed about with the other device. An old radio: beat up, dusty, paint scratched, and speakers crackle. He pulled up the antenna, and set it at the right angle, and tuned the dials. There was the usual metallic whine as he did so, tuning into and out of different wavelengths and frequencies as the indicator moved and rotated around the options. He eventually found the one he wanted, then flicked a switch on the radio’s side, and the radio went silent. Instead, the laptop speakers began to growl with a low crackle, and a voice sounded through.

It was an old voice, one that strangely brought John calm. Deep, firm, caring. It talked about things that John was only beginning to understand, yet seemed to always know in his heart. As the voice spoke, John moved to double check his windows were bolted, the blinds drawn, all three deadbolts on his door in place. He collapsed on the tattered old mattress, putting his hands behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling. The paint was starting to flake. It wasn’t a very nice color, a gaudy beige or somesuch. But that color was covered by several clippings of newspapers, cut out and spread over the ceiling with bits of tape and pins. Lines were drawn, and the papers had been written on in pen, lines underlined, passages circled, writing in the margins, the occasional highlighter.

The voice eventually came to it’s conclusion. Something along the lines of “We Are The World’s Last Hope.” Then the sound of static filled the room, and John closed his eyes. A flash of light, and the scream of voices, a tumble of motion as things spun all about, crying helplessly, a crash through the green and the break of glass all over. Lost of red began to cloud vision, and the memory was gone.

John sighed, getting up, hitting a couple buttons on the computer to stop the static, and moved to the blinds of his small apartment. A quick brush of the old sheets revealed the world outside; fear and desperation on the rise, people moving scared, as the tall looming buildings began to appear grimy and decadent. No one moved with purpose, they moved with fear. This city was beginning to look a lot like Gotham apparently used to decades ago. Now, every city in the USJ looked like Gotham, and it was spreading.

Scratching at his belly, John drew the curtains close, and walked to the closet. Opening the door, he pushed the hangars aside, and pulled from it a suit of black and dull green. And then he was gone.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Archon soared across the skies, the ripple of wind surging about him. Clouds danced below, as he knew gravity gave him little bounds. Opening his arms wide, Archon closed his eyes, imagining he was like a plane, and did a spiral as he soared high above the white fluffy clouds.

A laugh, and he was surging through the skies again, the roar of air at his back, the thrill of flight.

God he loved to fly.

But, as all things must, he had to come down. He spotted the towers from far off enough. Archon imagined they must once have been sparkling and breathtaking. Now, they were grimy, worn, dilapidated. Welcome to Metropolis, once a Shining Star, now just another facet of the Joker States.

The building was easy enough to find. One didn’t need to be able to see through walls to notice the gathering of people outside one of the larger complexes of the city. LexCorp.

Archon had mixed feelings about LexCorp. He had memories, yes, but he also had his suspicions. Things were still going well for the company, even after the Fall of the League, and the company had done some good for the world. But… Archon had to wonder what it’s goals really were. He couldn’t say. Just that the gathering was there, and he wanted to attend.

He needed to attend. Archon didn’t know why, just a gut feeling that he was needed. He couldn’t quite place it.

A ripple in the air, and the paragon zoomed through the skies, and came to a landing several blocks away from the building. He glanced about, making sure no one was about, before he suddenly blurred. The blur moved quickly, racing along the sidewalks, avoiding people and things, newspapers and other small detritus wafting in his wake, as he ran.

Archon liked to run. Who didn’t? There’s a reason why kids always run around, which adults seem to forget. Running is fun. And Archon was faster than most.

Finding himself approaching LexCorp, the world seeming slow to him, Archon moved in place, slowing suddenly. To the others, it would appear as he just appeared from a blur, and he took in the view. The massive corporation entrance looked like the front of a miniature fortress, something Archon guessed was not accidental. He glanced away from the surroundings to take in the strange new people gathered. One was a man in a battered suit, a bit like Archon’s own, save the difference in design. The man’s face was weathered, not wrinkled, but the lines were there, greys in his hair. His eyes were calm, kind, and worried. And his voice was the voice from the radio. The “S” emblazoned on his chest was helpful too.

He was a man of the past: Superman. One of the greatest heroes, head of the Justice League, and he had been brought low.

Archon stepped back a couple feet as the motorcycle roared to a stop, and the woman leaped off it to hug the man in blue. It seemed like they were old friends. Archon wondered about that. Was she one of the League? He had thought Superman was the only one left.

Then another one walked up, this one in dark black and blue. Another middle aged person. He wondered if this was also a reunion for these people. Heroes of yore... He figured it was some relief that there were heroes left from that time who could help end the madness.

But, Archon still felt out of depth here, now. So he hung back, waiting, unsure of himself. Man, this was first day of highschool all over again.

Teafo
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Teafo » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:34 am

Black Canary (Dinah Lance)
Condition: Happy from reunions

Seeing the others arrive, Dinah recognized Nightwing immediately, but the others were new faces, or masks as they were. As she released Superman from her embrace, she moved to the others, hugging first Nightwing, and then offering her hand and introducing herself with a handshake to the others. Truly happy to see those that were still willing to fight for the right things in this world. This crazy, Joker-run world.

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 am

Castellan
HP 1
Condition emotionally distant

"I thought you two would be taller" Castellan says to Nightwing and Black Canary. "So you called and we answered, I had heard you were working with Mr Luther but I thought it was just a rumor" looking at Superman.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Archon

Archon merely raised his eyebrow behind the mask, and said nothing. He stayed in the background, waiting and wondering what was up next, and whether some one would actually acknowledge him or not. At the moment, he felt like a bit of an outsider at a reunion of friends. He guessed that was exactly what he was right now.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 pm

"It is great to see you all here." Superman said to the group after Dinah released her grip from the legendary paragon. "And, yes, the rumor of Lex helping me out is true. He agrees with me that Joker needs to be overthrown from his throne. Now, let me show you the facility before we go over the plan."

"There is not going to be enough time, Superman." said a bald man in a suit that came out of the LexCorp building. You lot definitely recognize this man as THE Lex Luthor, owner of LexCorp. "Some of our cameras have detected something from the outside coming into the area from the easternmost wall. Mind if I ask your friends to investigate this?"

"I do not see any problem. This will also be a test to see if you will be truly fit to face off against Joker. So, would you check out the eastern wall?" Kal-El asked the group.

Common Terms I will use:

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:54 pm

NIGHTWING
Condition: Intrigued

Interesting, Dick thought as he watched the exchange between Superman and Luthor. He wants to test me. ME. I've known him since I was 10. This reeks of a Luthor mind game.

Insight check. 1d20+8=13. Even if there is something up, I don't think I can tell anything with THAT roll. :wink:

But it won't be the first or last time I have to play mind game. And maybe they just want to see the newbies in action before committing them to this. Either way, I guess I have to play.

Nightwing pulled out his Escrima Sticks. He fashioned new ones for this. Slightly heavier at the end for greater striking power, but a bit lighter overall for ease of throwing. But the real touch were the engraved initials he put at the bottom. One had a small TDW on it, the other had a BW. He twirled the sticks like he had for more than 20 years and replied. "Sure thing, Superman."

The former Boy Wonder glared at the two new heroes. "You two...names...abilities...experience...quickly."
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Castellan
Hp 1
Condition: mildly amused

"Mother always said you liked to have the heads up on those you work with, I see Batman rubbed off on you" Castellan says to Nightwing. "As to my name its Castellan and my abilities are superhuman stamina, agility and dexterity with extensively combat training in both martial arts and weapons".

"Mr Luthor was kind enough to lend me some gear as several of my weapons caches were raided, yes Lex I will make sure that the money is wired to your accounts as soon as we work out the price" Castellan mentions to Lex.

Insight check on Luthor, Nightwing and Superman
1d20+7=25
1d20+7=18
1d20+7=17

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Archon

Archon arched an eyebrow at the request from Superman. A test to prove their worth? He thought that the heroes here were all old friends or something. If anything, he assumed he was he only new one here, the only unknown. Apparently not.

He blinked at the abrupt question from the older man in black suit with blue highlights, and the domino mask. That was rude, and rather abrupt. He didn't even say please. That was... that was just common courtesy. But he obliged, albeit curtly. "Archon. I can fly..." These were some strange people, and just now, Archon wasn't sure whether this was the exact situation he had envisioned from his apartment, listening to the voice on the radio. Then, he only had the old news reports and archives, and the voice. Now he had met these people, he wanted to know how they could have transformed such. Joker was that bad, but Archon had his suspicions that these people had lives very different from his own. He was sure of it- he was out of depth here. He grimaced, noting the girl with the creepy helmet list off how dangerous she was. Even as tough as he was, Archon didn't want to mess with her. He could see the sword she carried, and eyed it. Yeah, he was out of depth here.

Teafo
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Teafo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:17 am

Black Canary
Condition: Ready to fight

The joker here already. This was going to be an interesting start to what would certainly be a long adventure. But no to waste here. Not now. It was time to see how this group would work together. "Let's go see what we're up against. Archon, think you can fly ahead and scout it out?"

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 pm

The group quickly arrives at the Eastern Wall, things seemed off to you lot. The first thing that caught your eyes was the hole in a spot too far for the closest camera to notice, but just there to spot whatever got through. The only thing to do now is track whatever got in; luckily, it did not take long to get there.

Time for some basic dice rolls to see what you can find.

Common Terms I will use:

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Castellan
HP 1
Condition: alert

Scanning the area for tell tale signs of what came through the wall, taking stock of the smells and auditory noise around her. *Wonder what skills our scout has maybe some of the rest of the teams skills will rub off on him* Castellan thinks to herself.

Perception check 1d20+7=26
Investigation check 1d20+10=20

Return to “M&M Game Room”